Which Pink Floyd Era is your favorite?

Roger Waters (1968-1985)
Syd Barrett (1965-1968)
David Gilmour (1990-...)

Total votes: 56
26.03.2008 - 11:41
Hamird
Lieutenant
As you know the Pink Floyd in Syd Barrett (rip) era was a psychedelic rock band. but after Barrett leaving the band, they try Progressive Rock project. which most of famous albums of Pink Floyd like "Dark Side of the Moon", "The Wall", "Wish You were Here" and "the Final Cut" was in this time...
coz Pink Floyd has many fans, i want to know which frontman is more respected. (specially in ms )

i chose Syd Barrett era. i like Pink Floyd in the way that Barrett did. i respect the Piper at the Gates of Dawn as the best rock album for myself.
26.03.2008 - 18:03
marillionfan
Account deleted
Nice topic; but your classification is a bit incorect: you can talk about a Roger waters era only after the Wish you were here album in 1975 - at least here they wrote Shine on you Crazy Diamond all four of them; starting with this moment Waters became the dictator - if you can imagine, after 1977. keyboardist Richard Wright was treated as hired musician, like an outsider, that is what Waters did, no wonder Wright quits the band after The Wall tour. The Wall was Waters' moment of genious. Gilmour cowrote just a few songs, Confortably Numb being one of them. The Waters tyranny ends with The Final Cut album in 1983. Drummer Nick Mason quit the band during the recording of the album. Waters and Gilmour could hardly stand being in the same room. Gilmour refused any writing credit with this album as there is some nice guitar work there.
The Gilmour era starts in 1987, when Wright, Gilmour and Mason reunited and released A Momentary Lapse of Reason.
I would call the 1968-1975 the team work era - they were getting along, they experimented, tried new things together, the results can be seen in the albums of this period.
26.03.2008 - 18:34
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
My favorite albums are Meddle, Dark Side Of The Moon, Animals, A Momentary Lapse Of Reason so....I guess my favorite era is between 1971-1979....
26.03.2008 - 20:26
Damnated
Churchburner
Pink Floyd became what they are now thanx to Waters. during the time he was the front man they released one great album after another. my vote goes to his era.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
26.03.2008 - 21:10
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 26.03.2008 at 20:26

Pink Floyd became what they are now thanx to Waters. during the time he was the front man they released one great album after another. my vote goes to his era.

It's incorrect to say that Waters was the front man, after all Gilmour and Wright sang too. When Waters took control of the writing process (abusively I dare say), he did the main vocals between The Animals and The Final Cut.

BTW, many PF listeners cannot conceive PF without Waters, but i ask now, can anyone conceive/imagine PF without Gilmour? I cannot.
26.03.2008 - 21:37
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 26.03.2008 at 21:10

BTW, many PF listeners cannot conceive PF without Waters, but i ask now, can anyone conceive/imagine PF without Gilmour? I cannot.

Gilmour is a good guitar player, but he isn't that great when it comes to writing. a musician is always replaceable, a writer not.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
26.03.2008 - 21:55
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 26.03.2008 at 21:37

Gilmour is a good guitar player, but he isn't that great when it comes to writing. a musician is always replaceable, a writer not.

what do you mean he's not a good writer - what about Shine on you Crazy diamond guitar work, Dogs, Time, Comfortably Numb, Fat old Sun, Money (the guitar solo is amazing), Echoes, Atom Heart mother and many others. The guitar work here is outstanding.

Replaceable? i think not.
26.03.2008 - 22:15
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 26.03.2008 at 21:55

what do you mean he's not a good writer - what about Shine on you Crazy diamond guitar work, Dogs, Time, Comfortably Numb, Fat old Sun, Money (the guitar solo is amazing), Echoes, Atom Heart mother and many others. The guitar work here is outstanding.

he has some great solos i agree with that. that doesn't mean that he's a good song writer though.
just look at A Momentary Lapse of Reason, which was written almost entirely by Gilmour. it's a really uninspired and dull album. or take his solo project. slightly better but overall still a failed attempt. overall he fails at writing, therefor he is replaceable.
----

26.03.2008 - 22:31
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 26.03.2008 at 22:15

Written by Guest on 26.03.2008 at 21:55

he has some great solos i agree with that. that doesn't mean that he's a good song writer though.
just look at A Momentary Lapse of Reason, which was written almost entirely by Gilmour. it's a really uninspired and dull album. or take his solo project. slightly better but overall still a failed attempt. overall he fails at writing, therefor he is replaceable.

That's your opinion, I respect that, but I just disagree; for me, PF is one of the few bands that does not have weak albums, I like even the two Gilmour era albums. Gilmour is one of my favourte guitarists, i love his three solo albums more than Waters solo stuff.
26.03.2008 - 22:36
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 26.03.2008 at 22:31

That's your opinion, I respect that, but I just disagree; for me, PF is one of the few bands that does not have weak albums, I like even the two Gilmour era albums. Gilmour is one of my favourte guitarists, i love his three solo albums more than Waters solo stuff.

Waters' solo stuff is pretty weak too. they should have stopped making music after the wall was released imo.
----

26.03.2008 - 22:46
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 26.03.2008 at 22:36

Waters' solo stuff is pretty weak too. they should have stopped making music after the wall was released imo.

Stop making music?? That's a little bit too much . Waters' least inspired album is Radio KAOS although there is some interesting stuff even there. You can't expect/pretend exceptional albums/masterpieces from an artist with every release - they have their great days and their bad days, if i may say so. that does not mean they aren't allowed to express themselves.
26.03.2008 - 22:48
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 26.03.2008 at 22:46

Stop making music?? That's a little bit too much . Waters' least inspired album is Radio KAOS although there is some interesting stuff even there. You can't expect/pretend exceptional albums/masterpieces from an artist with every release - they have their great days and their bad days, if i may say so. that does not mean they aren't allowed to express themselves.

yeah, you're right
----

27.03.2008 - 00:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I'm gonna hop on the wagon and run along with the masses here. Wish You Were Here: Waters.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.03.2008 - 08:34
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 27.03.2008 at 00:50

I'm gonna hop on the wagon and run along with the masses here. Wish You Were Here: Waters.

I guess I'll run against the masses . First of all, the song Wish You Were Here is a Gilmour/Waters song; as for the album , it is the last collective effort of PF as they were still getting along in 1975. Waters took control after that not because the others couldn't be creative, he just marginalized the others. And keyboardist richard wright was the one to suffer the most (as i said before, he was treated as a session/hired musician).

I wish people will stop with this idea that Roger Waters is Pink Floyd; it's incorrect IMO. PF did their best works between 1968-1975, when they were writing as a team. Watch/listen to the Live in Pompei (1971), that's PF at its best. I just love Wright's keyboards work since early PF, with Sid up to 1975 (he also like his vocals). Gilmour is my favourite PF member frankly, he is a better vocalist than Waters (for me at least). Nick Mason is a really good drummer, a bit underrated/underappreciated, i dare say.
Starting with Animals (1977), Waters took over (still the best song on this album is Dogs, a Gilmour/Waters song).
28.03.2008 - 12:37
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Damnated on 26.03.2008 at 22:36

Both Pink Floyd and Roger Waters are weak without eachother.
29.03.2008 - 08:21
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
Okay ... I'm gonna get nitpicky here ... don't make me lay down a Pink Floyd history lesson though, cuz I can and will.

First of all, the classifications for the poll suck. Barret era = one album. But between Piper and Dark Side (67-73), Floyd had an entirely different sound that should not be lumped in with the post-Dark Side sound.

Secondly, this nonsense about WYWH being the last "group effort" is quite a load of horseshit. Animals came two years after WYWH and features some of the best work Gilmour ever recorded. It may be a Waters album lyrically, but it's a Gilmour album musically. Waters' ego and need to control didn't surface until post-Animals when work on The Wall began and it culminated with The Final Cut, which is easily the single most underrated Pink Floyd album and in many ways far more brilliant than The Wall, although it was clearly a Waters album through and through.

As for my personal preference ... Meddle all the way, then Live at Pompeii (DVD) followed by the brilliant soundtracks Obscured by Clouds and More, then Saucerful of Secrets and Umma Gumma ... so I'm clearly a 67-73 era fan.
29.03.2008 - 13:09
Ereinion
Account deleted
For me the best era is Waters period (the Wall is my favorite album ever!) but i dare to say all PF are masterpieces of their own yes and I also mean the post Waters era I mean what is wrong with A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell? Gilmour does some of his best vocal and guitar performances.People only hate the Gilmour era becose they changed their sound into a more neo-prog style but sound changes have been a normal thing in the Floyd history since Syd left...
30.03.2008 - 17:42
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Søren on 29.03.2008 at 08:21

Animals came two years after WYWH and features some of the best work Gilmour ever recorded. It may be a Waters album lyrically, but it's a Gilmour album musically.

no, it's not. Every song on Animals was written by Waters, except Dogs which was co-written with Gilmour.
----

30.03.2008 - 17:59
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
Written by Damnated on 30.03.2008 at 17:42

Animals came two years after WYWH and features some of the best work Gilmour ever recorded. It may be a Waters album lyrically, but it's a Gilmour album musically.

no, it's not. Every song on Animals was written by Waters, except Dogs which was co-written with Gilmour.

All you've managed to do is point out one of the most glaring - and misunderstood - facts about music in general: the names credited rarely matter. Go back to the Beatles and damn near every song was "Lennon-McCartney" even though the writing process was quite often dominated by one or the other. I could probably pick out over a hundred CDs in my collection alone where the credits on paper don't match what's coming through the speakers. It's extremely common and one of the main reasons I don't even look to see who's credited anymore. Put the liner notes away, close your eyes, and listen to the album. Disregard the lyrics and pay attention to only the music. You will hear Gilmour, Gilmour, Gilmour from beginning to end.
30.03.2008 - 18:10
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Søren on 30.03.2008 at 17:59

All you've managed to do is point out one of the most glaring - and misunderstood - facts about music in general: the names credited rarely matter. Go back to the Beatles and damn near every song was "Lennon-McCartney" even though the writing process was quite often dominated by one or the other. I could probably pick out over a hundred CDs in my collection alone where the credits on paper don't match what's coming through the speakers. It's extremely common and one of the main reasons I don't even look to see who's credited anymore. Put the liner notes away, close your eyes, and listen to the album. Disregard the lyrics and pay attention to only the music. You will hear Gilmour, Gilmour, Gilmour from beginning to end.

hmm, how do you know how Gilmour sounds like? what if he never really wrote a song? because we never actually been there while they wrote or recorded. all he have is the credits.
----

31.03.2008 - 01:37
marillionfan
Account deleted

Okay ... I'm gonna get nitpicky here ... don't make me lay down a Pink Floyd history lesson though, cuz I can and will.

First of all, the classifications for the poll suck. Barret era = one album. But between Piper and Dark Side (67-73), Floyd had an entirely different sound that should not be lumped in with the post-Dark Side sound.

Secondly, this nonsense about WYWH being the last "group effort" is quite a load of horseshit. Animals came two years after WYWH and features some of the best work Gilmour ever recorded. It may be a Waters album lyrically, but it's a Gilmour album musically. Waters' ego and need to control didn't surface until post-Animals when work on The Wall began and it culminated with The Final Cut, which is easily the single most underrated Pink Floyd album and in many ways far more brilliant than The Wall, although it was clearly a Waters album through and through.

As for my personal preference ... Meddle all the way, then Live at Pompeii (DVD) followed by the brilliant soundtracks Obscured by Clouds and More, then Saucerful of Secrets and Umma Gumma ... so I'm clearly a 67-73 era fan.

I am honestly sad to see how one's opinion can be "horseshit" for someone else simply because of disagreement. I said Wish You Were here is a collective effort because they did (at least) Shine On You Crazy Diamond together; Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine are credited to Waters but honestly, i hear a lot of Wright here, a lot of keyboards work, i guess here began the rapture between Waters and Wright.

Nobody is contesting your knowlrdge of PF.

My favourite PF works lay between 1968-1977.
31.03.2008 - 01:44
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
Written by Damnated on 30.03.2008 at 18:10

Written by Søren on 30.03.2008 at 17:59

hmm, how do you know how Gilmour sounds like? what if he never really wrote a song? because we never actually been there while they wrote or recorded. all he have is the credits.

No, but you can listen to his three solo albums or the two post-Waters Floyd albums - five albums with no input from Waters that you can use for comparison. Also, you can watch the Pompeii DVD where there is plenty of interspersed footage of each member experimenting and doing their own thing.

In the end you just have to accept that (despite the claims many musicians make) the person actually playing has a lot of influence on the output. I don't care who you are or what band you're in, this is going to hold true for everyone to some extent. One person may have an idea - a concept, a rhythm, a lead, a harmony - but if they aren't going to be the one playing or recording it, all they can do is share it and say "this is what I'm looking for." As soon as someone else starts to play it, there is bound to be some variation, some personal touch, etc. This is proven every time you compare a studio recording to a live performance comprised of session/touring musicians and vice-versa. It might be close, but it's rarely exact.
01.04.2008 - 08:22
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
Written by Guest on 31.03.2008 at 01:37

I am honestly sad to see how one's opinion can be "horseshit" for someone else simply because of disagreement.

And to this, all I can say is: you're absolutely right. I hate when people brand other people's opinions as "wrong," "bullshit," "horseshit," and the like and I'm ashamed to be a part of that. The fault is mine in that I interpreted your statement as fact, not as opinion. I apologize whole-heartedly. And I mean that seriously, it's not an April Fool's joke.

I said Wish You Were here is a collective effort because they did (at least) Shine On You Crazy Diamond together; Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine are credited to Waters but honestly, i hear a lot of Wright here, a lot of keyboards work, i guess here began the rapture between Waters and Wright.

I couldn't agree more with this. In fact, this is a perfect example of the point I was making in my previous post: credits do not always tell the whole story.
I think you're dead on regarding the feud because this really was the last album in which Wright had a significant presence. His work on Animals and The Wall was minimalistic at best. Also, Richard has said in interviews that he really began to lose interest in the "concept" of Floyd around the time of Animals, primarily because of Roger's burgeoning heavy-handedness.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to apologize about that as well. My big head got the best of me for a minute.
01.04.2008 - 20:34
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Søren on 01.04.2008 at 08:22

I am honestly sad to see how one's opinion can be "horseshit" for someone else simply because of disagreement.

And to this, all I can say is: you're absolutely right. I hate when people brand other people's opinions as "wrong," "bullshit," "horseshit," and the like and I'm ashamed to be a part of that. The fault is mine in that I interpreted your statement as fact, not as opinion. I apologize whole-heartedly. And I mean that seriously, it's not an April Fool's joke.

I said Wish You Were here is a collective effort because they did (at least) Shine On You Crazy Diamond together; Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine are credited to Waters but honestly, i hear a lot of Wright here, a lot of keyboards work, i guess here began the rapture between Waters and Wright.

I couldn't agree more with this. In fact, this is a perfect example of the point I was making in my previous post: credits do not always tell the whole story.
I think you're dead on regarding the feud because this really was the last album in which Wright had a significant presence. His work on Animals and The Wall was minimalistic at best. Also, Richard has said in interviews that he really began to lose interest in the "concept" of Floyd around the time of Animals, primarily because of Roger's burgeoning heavy-handedness.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to apologize about that as well. My big head got the best of me for a minute.

we're cool.
22.04.2008 - 14:49
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I love "The Wall" and i think its one of the best album ever released in music history!! and its ROGER's work yeah!
14.05.2008 - 19:32
Akmrk
Account deleted
My fav. one is that when Barret was together with them. Songs, created then, do the biggest impression on me. Lyrics, music give me smth what Waters doesn't.
05.07.2008 - 17:11
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
confused to see no one has voted for David Gilmour !
05.07.2008 - 17:17
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
confused to see no one has voted for David Gilmour !
08.07.2008 - 16:52
Infurnace
I'll go with the Roger Waters era. Pink Floyd made their best albums in that era. All my favorites are from that era.
10.07.2008 - 18:17
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by Guest on 26.03.2008 at 18:34

My favorite albums are Meddle, Dark Side Of The Moon, Animals, A Momentary Lapse Of Reason so....I guess my favorite era is between 1971-1979....

Same here..
i don't think this is a good thread.