Metal Storm logo
Your Favorite Pink Floyd Era

Original post

Posted by Hamird, 26.03.2008 - 11:41
As you know the Pink Floyd in Syd Barrett (rip) era was a psychedelic rock band. but after Barrett leaving the band, they try Progressive Rock project. which most of famous albums of Pink Floyd like "Dark Side of the Moon", "The Wall", "Wish You were Here" and "the Final Cut" was in this time...
coz Pink Floyd has many fans, i want to know which frontman is more respected. (specially in ms )

i chose Syd Barrett era. i like Pink Floyd in the way that Barrett did. i respect the Piper at the Gates of Dawn as the best rock album for myself.

Poll

Which Pink Floyd Era is your favorite?

Roger Waters (1968-1985)
Syd Barrett (1965-1968)
David Gilmour (1990-...)

Total votes: 56
11.07.2008 - 01:24
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Candlemass: Why not?
25.07.2008 - 07:49
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Syd Barrett was pink floyd. but then he took too much acid and roger waters stole it. and on top of that roger waters is a terrible bassist and a power monger. thats why he has his own era, though i think giving Gilmour the 1990 onwards era is a bit weak.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
15.08.2008 - 21:07
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by LeChron James on 25.07.2008 at 07:49

Syd Barrett was pink floyd. but then he took too much acid and roger waters stole it. and on top of that roger waters is a terrible bassist and a power monger. thats why he has his own era, though i think giving Gilmour the 1990 onwards era is a bit weak.

Waters is a power monger, i agree, but he's definitely not a terrible bassist and he is a really good songwriter.
The Gilmour era starts with A Momentary Lapse of Reason - 1987. Good album, Division Bell (1994) was even better. from the gilmour era, Pulse (the DVD) is highly recommended.
15.09.2008 - 15:57
sweetleaf
Account deleted
Syd all the way. He influenced the best part of Pink Floyd in my opinion.
09.04.2009 - 17:35
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Hehe david pig gilmour didnt get any votes?
10.04.2009 - 01:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I havnt vote here. weird, I dont know what to tell, but even I dont have any records(Ok I have cassete Wish You and Drak Side + tape Animals and The Wall) but I prefere firts pychodelic albums now, , realy I like those more how others, I sawe on TV some pefrormences in 60's it was awesome, so I vote for Syd Barrett (1965-1968) , since it was lil pyschodelical and I like it more,
But I dont sad thet I dont like others but its like 45 - 35-25

EDDIT: No Gillmour votes? weird
If I remebered corrcet Ivan somehwere long ago post he likes this era PF well etleast one
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.04.2009 - 00:05
ms68
Gilmour is disgusting
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
15.04.2009 - 00:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ms68 on 15.04.2009 at 00:05

Gilmour is disgusting

Maybe explain why
many says ne wmetallica sucks, but when I ask why they just huh huh even Bn B can say why X band sucks

Maybe in his era PF was boring, but well it was not bad to,
----

apos;'
[image]
15.04.2009 - 10:33
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@k7

maybe ppl dont like him cause he coudlnt do what roger did in "Pink Floyd" and as all of us know "Roger Waters" divided from band cause of "Money". they thought that roger waters dont let them to earn money cause of his musical taste. David captured "Pink Floyd"! the only album which deserves to listen after Roger Waters is "The Division Bell". so its very clear why ppl dont like him. he is just a cute singer and girls like his voice so much! but Roger was a true rocker. lol its my opinion.

have you seen live 8?
15.04.2009 - 18:58
ms68
Written by Bad English on 15.04.2009 at 00:57

Written by ms68 on 15.04.2009 at 00:05

Gilmour is disgusting

Maybe explain why
many says ne wmetallica sucks, but when I ask why they just huh huh even Bn B can say why X band sucks

Maybe in his era PF was boring, but well it was not bad to,

in syd barret time pink floyd was pschedelic-progressive rock. in roger waters time was progressive-rock but in gilmour's time (the devision bell) pink floyd changed to pop-rock. as the_black_god said they do this for money and we all know that how wil be the future of bands that try to do sth like this.
----
15.04.2009 - 19:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I agree whit boath of you about it
----

apos;'
[image]
16.04.2009 - 09:46
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
First of all, pink floyd was Psychodelic Rock in Barrett era. just 2 albums, after it they are Progressive Rock. and Pink Floyd without Roger waters is a Progressive Rock not a pop-rock. the other thing is that after Roger Watres gone, Pink Floyd released 2 albums not just "the Division Bell". the other which was before tDB is "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" which have a great song called "Learning to Fly".
but the funny thing is that Gilmour wrote that song cause he has a fly company! maybe he wanted to propagand his side job! absolutely this is the answer.
but I like Divison bell more than any album by Pink Floyd but "Wish You Were Here" and "The Wall". we have to be fair, tDB is a very nice album.

@Hamid, Roger Waters era started since 1965! not 1968 and gilmour entered pink floyd after Syd gone, so gilmour wasnt at the first 2 albums. but Roger was. I know you know this, but you had to mention it at your original post. maybe some ppl doesnt know much about Pink floyd and your answer may give them misinformation. [Roger Waters (1968-1985), Syd Barrett (1965-1968), David Gilmour (1990-...)]
16.04.2009 - 14:23
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 16.04.2009 at 09:46

@Hamid, Roger Waters era started since 1965! not 1968 and gilmour entered pink floyd after Syd gone, so gilmour wasnt at the first 2 albums. but Roger was. I know you know this, but you had to mention it at your original post. maybe some ppl doesnt know much about Pink floyd and your answer may give them misinformation. [Roger Waters (1968-1985), Syd Barrett (1965-1968), David Gilmour (1990-...)]

No, Syd Barret left the band after "A Saucerful Secrets", and David Gilmour took part as lead guitarist in "A Saucerful Secrets". That was the only album that both Barret and Gilmour were in band together..
In their first two albums which have done between 1965 to 1968, Barret was the band's front man and not Water.
16.04.2009 - 17:28
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 16.04.2009 at 14:23

No, Syd Barret left the band after "A Saucerful Secrets", and David Gilmour took part as lead guitarist in "A Saucerful Secrets". That was the only album that both Barret and Gilmour were in band together..
In their first two albums which have done between 1965 to 1968, Barret was the band's front man and not Water.

what no? who said he wasnt at that album?
16.04.2009 - 17:52
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Statements such as "Gilmour is disgusting" or Syd Barrett was Pink Floyd" honestly make me laugh. First of all I disagree that Gilmour reformed PF in the 80s for the money - the successful tour to promote A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) was just proof that people wanted to hear PF perform. Same thing with the Division bell. Just watch Pulse and see how comfortable these musicians play together and how great they felt on stage. Considering the music abominations that were promoted in the 80s, AMLOR is a true gem IMO. The Gilmour era is especially for those who enjoy Gilmour's guitar work.
Secondly, Barret wrote only one song (Jugband Blues) for A Saucerful of Secrets (he was already a mess by 1968 due to his LSD addiction) so the rest of the album was written by Waters, Wright and Gilmour mostly, and Mason contributed to the epic title track. Last but not least, why do people ignore or forget Rick Wright's contribution to the early PF - I truly find his keyboards work in those times amazing.
16.04.2009 - 18:05
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.04.2009 at 17:52

Statements such as "Gilmour is disgusting" or Syd Barrett was Pink Floyd" honestly make me laugh. First of all I disagree that Gilmour reformed PF in the 80s for the money - the successful tour to promote A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) was just proof that people wanted to hear PF perform. Same thing with the Division bell. Just watch Pulse and see how comfortable these musicians play together and how great they felt on stage. Considering the music abominations that were promoted in the 80s, AMLOR is a true gem IMO. The Gilmour era is especially for those who enjoy Gilmour's guitar work.
Secondly, Barret wrote only one song (Jugband Blues) for A Saucerful of Secrets (he was already a mess by 1968 due to his LSD addiction) so the rest of the album was written by Waters, Wright and Gilmour mostly, and Mason contributed to the epic title track. Last but not least, why do people ignore or forget Rick Wright's contribution to the early PF - I truly find his keyboards work in those times amazing.

and I laughed when I saw the music video of "Learning to Fly", wasnt it a commercial thing for Gilmour's company?
16.04.2009 - 18:06
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 16.04.2009 at 17:28

You said "gilmour entered pink floyd after Syd gone". I thought you mean Barret and Gilmour haven't worked together..
16.04.2009 - 18:11
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 16.04.2009 at 18:06

You said "gilmour entered pink floyd after Syd gone". I thought you mean Barret and Gilmour haven't worked together..

what many people don't know is that Gilmour helped Syd with his solo work in the 60s; Gilmour was brought innitially in the band just because Barret was so high he was a mess at a point on stage, so Gilmour and Barrett were both in the band (in 1968).
16.04.2009 - 18:13
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.04.2009 at 18:05

and I laughed when I saw the music video of "Learning to Fly", wasnt it a commercial thing for Gilmour's company?

I did not even know Gilmour had such a company you're mentioning. And the video honestly did not make me think of planes...???
16.04.2009 - 18:16
ms68
How yoy know this much black god? i think you read books very much
----
16.04.2009 - 18:33
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.04.2009 at 18:13

I did not even know Gilmour had such a company you're mentioning. And the video honestly did not make me think of planes...???

I dont know if its about planes, Ive just read that he as a flying company maybe its about kites!
16.04.2009 - 18:40
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.04.2009 at 18:33

Written by Guest on 16.04.2009 at 18:13

I dont know if its about planes, Ive just read that he as a flying company maybe its about kites!

Gilmour is involved in all sorts of charity works so i for one can forgive him for promoting his company in a music video (if he ever did that).
16.04.2009 - 18:47
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 16.04.2009 at 18:06

at second album I can say that Gilour wasnt in that album! cause he only write somthin at "A Saucerful of Secrets" song.
16.04.2009 - 18:57
JohnDoe
Account deleted
The songs that Gilmour did not contribute on A Saucerful of secret are Remember a day - a Rick Wright song, Set the controls for the heart of the sun - a Waters song and Jugband blues - a Syd Barrett song.
16.04.2009 - 19:14
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.04.2009 at 18:57

The songs that Gilmour did not contribute on A Saucerful of secret are Remember a day - a Rick Wright song, Set the controls for the heart of the sun - a Waters song and Jugband blues - a Syd Barrett song.

I talked about songwritting, ok? he didnt do anything in any song but "A Saucerful of secret".

the list bellow is taken from wikipedia and it shows that what gilmour did in songs. but they are not about songwritting

"Let There Be More Light": Electric guitars, lead vocals on the chorus sections
"Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" : Guitar
"Corporal Clegg": Guitar, Vocals
"A Saucerful of Secrets" : Guitar and Vocalisations
"See-Saw" : Guitar
17.04.2009 - 02:53
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.04.2009 at 19:14

Written by Guest on 16.04.2009 at 18:57

I talked about songwritting, ok? he didnt do anything in any song but "A Saucerful of secret".

the list bellow is taken from wikipedia and it shows that what gilmour did in songs. but they are not about songwritting

"Let There Be More Light": Electric guitars, lead vocals on the chorus sections
"Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" : Guitar
"Corporal Clegg": Guitar, Vocals
"A Saucerful of Secrets" : Guitar and Vocalisations
"See-Saw" : Guitar

the PF site says Gilmour co-wrote the songs with the exceptions I've mentioned.
08.05.2009 - 08:48
FOOCK Nam
Can anyone recommend me the most psychedelic album by Pink Floyd ?
08.05.2009 - 13:36
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by FOOCK Nam on 08.05.2009 at 08:48

Can anyone recommend me the most psychedelic album by Pink Floyd ?

Well, The Piper at The Gates of Dawn is my favorite Pink Floyd album and it's the most Psychedelic in my opinion.. Lyrics are just awesome and music is as well as lyrics.
12.05.2009 - 06:48
FOOCK Nam
Witnessed the Darkside Of The Moon, to say the truth, I dont like it that much, it is still psychedelic, but very pop-ish or classical rock with up lifting melody, not my type, I expected something dark, melancholic, or at least scary and horror, maybe I should try Anathema or Katatonia with more dark and metal, and still "heir" of Pink Floyd
22.05.2009 - 19:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
There is a bad problem with this poll, roger waters wasnt at Momemntary Lapse Of Reason album which was released at 1987.