Metal Storm logo
Equilibrium

Original post

Posted by Stigmatized, 17.06.2006 - 01:22
Though their genre is categorized as Extreme Folk by Metal Storm, I had this topic in the Melodic Metal forum on MSv2 so I put it here again. @Mods- If you feel it should be moved, please do.

Great band from Germany, they've released one album Turis Fratyr. It won best debut of 2005 in the Metal Storm awards. Let's hear some opinions....
02.05.2008 - 16:00
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Promonex on 02.05.2008 at 10:58

Written by Dark Cornatus on 02.05.2008 at 04:00

Written by VPeter on 01.05.2008 at 18:40

I find them quite overated to be honest, the German Viking/Folk metal scene has more to offer.
I also find the vocals pretty meh at times, overall there debut is pretty good but there is better German Viking/Folk metal.

I definatly dont find them overrated, the album is brilliant. However, i do agree to some extent the vocalist is not perfect. He lacks variation, and therefore can get boring in that department. The album is still awesome though, i cant wait to hear the new one.

Of course you don't find them overrated. Unlike Tir na nog you probably don't know how many other great bands the German scene has to offer. That's not much of a problem, I didn't know it either until two years ago when I went to Ragnarök Festival mainly for Equilibrium and got to experience the whole awesomeness below the surface, i.e. bands like Menhir, Riger, Black Messiah, XIV Dark Centuries, Fjoergyn, Thrudvangar, Wolfchant, Odroerir, Finsterforst, Minas Morgul, Gernotshagen, Hel, Kromlek, just to name a few bands that are ought to deserve just as much attention as Equilibrium do. Sure, Equilibrium's material is awesome, but considering the rest of the scene they are definitely praised out of proportion. Initially they were described as the new Menhir - by now close to none of their fans have ever heard of Equi's role models who originated the German pagan metal scene.

True but that doesnt mean they are overrated, its still a great album, and deserves its popularity. There is always going to be bands in the underground scene that may be good if not better, but it needs to reach peoples ears before an opinion about them can arise, and i dont 'search' for bands like i used to, therefore i mainly hear whats popular nowdays. XIV Dark Centuries are good too, but i would still take Equilibriums album over any of their work ove heard.
03.05.2008 - 07:38
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I don't think they are overrated at all and here is why. I'm American, I had never heard of Equilibrium until about a year ago. I didn't hear about them through word of mouth, by someone telling me they were "Sooo amazing", but I saw them on SuidAkrA's top friends on myspace so I checked the link and instantly fell in love with the music. Nobody told me "this is good, listen to it", I fell in love with the music just by hearing it without ever hearing anyone's opinion, and I could have easily went and downloaded the album but no, I liked it so much that I had to find some european online cd store to buy the album, Turis Fratyr, in euros and have it shipped to my place in the USA because I couldn't find it anywhere else. Whether you think they are overrated or not, they make good music.
28.06.2008 - 19:58
Shinigamy
Account deleted
Anyone listened to new album "Sagas"??? It is realy epic, they have one song called Mana, that is instrumental, and its 16 mins long... Very nice album. I think that all of you have maybe heard Blut Im Auge, epic song from sagas album that is released before album release. Equilibrium is cool band. O and new song Unbesiegt has some realy catchy melodies I think that main rythm is rythm of bahamas or something... the song is different than other..
28.06.2008 - 20:06
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
I've only heard "Blut im Auge" and "Unbesiegt" so far. "Blut im Auge" was decent, but nothing mindblowing. Unlike "Unbesiegt", which had me laughing ever since the first time I've listened to it on their e-card. Calypso Metal ftw!
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
01.07.2008 - 00:27
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
I have listened to "Sagas" few time (first the promo, and since today with the real CD). I must admit that I really enjoyed it and I have had a pleasant moment during the whole listenings. I found "Sagas" more mature than their previous work. For sure the epic side is more important on this new release, but melodies are still present. Also, there're "more mid tempo" songs like "Die Weide Und Der Fluß", "Des Sängers Fluch" or "Dämmerung" which are really interesting. Beside this, you can find faster songs really catchy as "Snüffel" or "Heimwärts". Then instrumental titles are present, like "Heiderauche" or the last song, entitled "Mana", which is splendid and epic as hell. But I need more listenings to really appreciate all the subtleties of this new album.
02.07.2008 - 18:50
amarchand
I am a huge equilibrium fan, I absolutely love Turis Fratyr and I just finished listening to Sagas. This band has extreme talent and excellent riffs along with great production.. The only downside is that I've found that they "quote" other bands quite a bit, for example "Blut Im Auge" is extremely similar to a riff of another folk metal group, I can't quite place it though, might be moonsorrow, might be finntroll, maybe thyrfing, maybe even a quote from Turis Fratyr, someone let me know if you notice this as well
04.07.2008 - 22:53
annodomini
I think "Sagas" will shut the mouths to people who had said that Equilibrium is Overrated. This is absolutely fantastic band, with two Masterpiecies (2 of 2 ), and i its the good point that they beated their debut being in the label like Nuclear Blast. So this band has a real bright future.
----
the riddle wants to be...
06.07.2008 - 04:22
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by annodomini on 04.07.2008 at 22:53

I think "Sagas" will shut the mouths to people who had said that Equilibrium is Overrated.

I don't think you referred to me, but in case you did: actually I cannot shut my mouth anymore ever since my jaw dropped in awe of the pure kickassery their new album emanates!

When I heard the news about their guest musicians I thought they'd just do some name dropping for the sake of it. I would've never thought they'd fit in those pan flutes as nicely as they did. And I love all those bits and pieces they've hidden somewhere within their multi-layered music, may it be the calypso awesomeness of "Unbesiegt", the ZZ Top tribute in "Snüffel", the Die Apokalyptischen Reiter influence in "Verrat" and all those parts which remind me of something I believe to have heard before, but just cannot put my finger on. Even though the vocals are even less important than on their last album I do kinda regret that Helge didn't use his growls any more though as he has really improved in that departement. But that's about the only negative (well, more like not-entirely-positive) thing about this album I can think of
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
14.07.2008 - 19:57
VPeter
I still think they are overated, but Sagas is a huge improvement.
15.07.2008 - 00:34
Stigmatized
Sagas is a good album, but it didn't seem to have the immediate catchiness the first album did. The only song that stood out to me was the last song, which is an epic instrumental.
28.07.2008 - 06:35
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
I only got the sagas disc and it blew me away, i was listening to it with a friend and we said: THIS IS F*** AWESOME!!!!

this one have everything to me. Catchy songs, viking/Folk elements, great and agresive vocals, killing drums, oh my god i'm in love!!!!!
12.09.2008 - 12:42
Stigma
Account deleted
When I listened Sagas first time straight through I wasn't expecting anything too original. How wrong was I.
The album features the common epicness and fun of folk metal, but adds that something which makes Equilibrium another original band. Really, I love the record.
15.10.2008 - 05:29
Folkbill
Sagas the best folk album eva!
----
--Non So Bill.
15.10.2008 - 12:54
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I like Sagas a lot...one of the best Folk Metal albums of the year, but I still dont think its quite as good as Turis Fratyr. That album was seriously epic...the new one is a little bit too over the top for my liking
15.10.2008 - 15:26
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 15.10.2008 at 12:54

I like Sagas a lot...one of the best Folk Metal albums of the year, but I still dont think its quite as good as Turis Fratyr. That album was seriously epic...the new one is a little bit too over the top for my liking

Why was Turis Fratyr so epic? I don't think that..
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.10.2008 - 17:59
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
It had more complex song writing which, to me, added to the epicness. Perhaps epic is the wrong term....I mean epic in the sense that it felt like a BIGGER album to me....more well rounded album, whereas they took it a bit too far on the new album with their crazy antics - made it a bit too cheesy. Still Sagas is better than 90% of the folk metal ive heard this year.
15.10.2008 - 19:16
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 15.10.2008 at 17:59

It had more complex song writing which, to me, added to the epicness. Perhaps epic is the wrong term....I mean epic in the sense that it felt like a BIGGER album to me....more well rounded album, whereas they took it a bit too far on the new album with their crazy antics - made it a bit too cheesy. Still Sagas is better than 90% of the folk metal ive heard this year.

Oh, now I understand what you mean!
for me neither turis fratyr nor sagas was complex but the songs are great on both albums!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
25.10.2008 - 10:10
gocasaca
Yesterday, I was discribing to a friend my idea of opening caffe/club where only folk metal would be played.
Equilibrium was an inspiration. I always imagine small all-in-beard-and-hear men that drink beer in some old wooden tavern in the middle of forest, dancing and jumping on the table when I listen to some songs ( Met, specialy ).
If I ever do, you ara all invited for opening :-) !
25.10.2008 - 17:57
Janne
Hugin
Written by gocasaca on 25.10.2008 at 10:10

Yesterday, I was discribing to a friend my idea of opening caffe/club where only folk metal would be played.
Equilibrium was an inspiration. I always imagine small all-in-beard-and-hear men that drink beer in some old wooden tavern in the middle of forest, dancing and jumping on the table when I listen to some songs ( Met, specialy ).
If I ever do, you ara all invited for opening :-) !

I'd surely go!!! met-met-met-met-met-met-met-met!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
27.10.2008 - 05:48
Until the End
I think 'Mana' has to be one of the best Equilibrium songs they've done so far. 16+ minutes of epic excellence. If I'd change one thing about the song though it'd have to be those woeful sounding synth samples that crop up on 2 occasions. Other than that, epic!
28.10.2008 - 00:46
Janne
Hugin
Written by Until the End on 27.10.2008 at 05:48

I think 'Mana' has to be one of the best Equilibrium songs they've done so far. 16+ minutes of epic excellence. If I'd change one thing about the song though it'd have to be those woeful sounding synth samples that crop up on 2 occasions. Other than that, epic!

absolutely agreed!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
29.10.2008 - 01:43
Feng
Sagas was mindblowing from beginning to end! It has to be one of my all time favourite albums. It really stands out among the Folk Metal genre.... and Mana, what more can I say?
After thinking hard, the only little problem I would have is the vocals, which lack a bit of variation. However they are still excellent!
29.10.2008 - 17:58
Janne
Hugin
Written by Feng on 29.10.2008 at 01:43

Sagas was mindblowing from beginning to end! It has to be one of my all time favourite albums. It really stands out among the Folk Metal genre.... and Mana, what more can I say?
After thinking hard, the only little problem I would have is the vocals, which lack a bit of variation. However they are still excellent!

You're not the first who said he had problems with the vocals... but imo they are very good. these kind of vocals fit to their music perfectly.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
29.10.2008 - 18:58
Feng
Written by Janne on 29.10.2008 at 17:58

Written by Feng on 29.10.2008 at 01:43

You're not the first who said he had problems with the vocals... but imo they are very good. these kind of vocals fit to their music perfectly.

They do suit the music very well. Personally I am not always a fan of the 'screaming' so I guess it took a while for me to adjust to them. Either way, they are very good.
31.10.2008 - 15:16
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I think I would have liked it more if they didnt sing in German. No offense but its a fucking disgusting language....in the words of the amazing Irish comedian Dylan Moran - "German is a terrible language, it sounds like Typewriters eating tin foil while falling down a staircase"...and hes so right. Again...no disrespect
31.10.2008 - 18:36
Abattoir
Staff
Written by Guest on 31.10.2008 at 15:16

I think I would have liked it more if they didnt sing in German. No offense but its a fucking disgusting language....in the words of the amazing Irish comedian Dylan Moran - "German is a terrible language, it sounds like Typewriters eating tin foil while falling down a staircase"...and hes so right. Again...no disrespect

That is kinda true (because of lyrics of course). But if you look on the other side the vocals are mostly growls, so in that way it's not so disturbing at all (if you only listen to the music). I hope I didn't complicated this sentence to much
31.10.2008 - 19:36
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Yeah true, it does come through though....the really harsh vomit / rasping snot sounds they make that really sort of take me aback and make me cringe. Pity they're not Swedish or something...thats much easier on the ears lol
31.10.2008 - 20:29
Richard
Elite

Nice to know that someone from your country has even heard of Dylan Moran!

But personally I like the sound of German. You say it's a harsh sounding language, but surely that's a positive thing in heavy music! Phonetically, it compliments the roughness and heaviness of Metal.
----
01.11.2008 - 01:46
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 31.10.2008 at 20:29

Nice to know that someone from your country has even heard of Dylan Moran!

But personally I like the sound of German. You say it's a harsh sounding language, but surely that's a positive thing in heavy music! Phonetically, it compliments the roughness and heaviness of Metal.

Well yeah to some extent....but Equilibrium is also folk metal which includes many softer types of instruments and flutes and the brashness of their vocals kinda put me off. Metal doesnt have to sound ugly to be heavy if you know what I mean. And yeah, Dylan Moran is fuckin hilarious...funniest guy on the planet lol
01.11.2008 - 02:06
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I got Sagas after hearing/reading a lot of recommendations and I found it too bombastic for my taste, it's like too overcrowded with different sounds and melodies and its overlength doesn't help to make it enjoyhable. I like my metal far more minimalist.