Metal Storm logo
Metal Magazines?

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 30.03.2008 - 10:13
I can't be alone on this one. You come home from a long day at work/school, to tired to stay up, but to awake to sleep, and not exactly in the mood or energy to read anything to complex or deep. So you pull out a copy of your Metal Magazine of choice, or perhaps when your on the bus, or have dead time to kill at work, who knows. For all you magazine readers out there, I want to know your choice of metal magazine to read. Possibly some recommendations.

Metal Hammer-My current choice. But unfortunately they have pretty bad reviews and there articles tend to focus on bands for issues and issues on end without changing. On the upside that magazine is responsible for helping me discover a few cool new bands in the "Incoming" and "Subterranean" sections. And I like the interviews and articles. And it always comes with a sampler CD.

Revolver-One I used to read a lot then it just went downhill to the point where its not even a metal magazine anymore, more on the same wavelength as AP (alternative press).

Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles
Kind of boring sometimes, a little more consistent then a lot of what Ive read, not bad at all.

*Note to mods: Im surprised there already isn't a discussion on this already, but I searched and I didn't see anything, will delete this topic if needed.
13.04.2008 - 19:26
belisarius
does anyone know a belgian metal magazine, i can't find any (but i have to admit i haven't really searched yet)
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
14.04.2008 - 00:12
Nebel_Hexe
Account deleted
I remember when Kerrang used to be decent, and my eldest brother has some old copies that he collected, back in the days when black metal first came about and they were kind of taking the piss because they hadn't a clue what it was really about.
After thoose days went I had discovered Terrorizer, which is still reasonably good these days but I find I've not really bought a copy for sometime now.
14.04.2008 - 00:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 13.04.2008 at 14:31

Written by Doc G. on 13.04.2008 at 07:29

Ok, any reason I had for buying Metal Hammer just got flushed down the drain, I was just reading the March issue, on the readers poll they had Municipal Waste at the #4 spot for "Best New Band" even though they released there debut album about 5 years ago, and have released 2 more albums since. Then they called Eluveitie "Swedens answer to Korpiklaani"....Eluveitie are from Switzerland, do they even research anything before printing crap like that? Are their editors trying to get fired or something? My god....

My response to that first point: Absolutely disgusting indeed. I wouldn't get outraged over it though, it's just not worth it, dude

I think its just because watching people get rich while being ignorant and printing false information, and Im sitting here paying for it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.04.2008 - 07:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 14.04.2008 at 00:12

I remember when Kerrang used to be decent,...

Then you must have read back issues from the early 80s cause they went totally crap midway through the eighties and ven before that they were MEDIOCRE art best :-)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.04.2008 - 09:11
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 14.04.2008 at 00:45

Ok, any reason I had for buying Metal Hammer just got flushed down the drain, I was just reading the March issue, on the readers poll they had Municipal Waste at the #4 spot for "Best New Band" even though they released there debut album about 5 years ago, and have released 2 more albums since. Then they called Eluveitie "Swedens answer to Korpiklaani"....Eluveitie are from Switzerland, do they even research anything before printing crap like that? Are their editors trying to get fired or something? My god....

My response to that first point: Absolutely disgusting indeed. I wouldn't get outraged over it though, it's just not worth it, dude

I think its just because watching people get rich while being ignorant and printing false information, and Im sitting here paying for it.

Yeah, I did read a few magazines here and there, but have never bought one myself, fortunately. The net is definitely the place for information though, at least there's more truth to what is spoken (given you know the right sites... ).
14.04.2008 - 09:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 14.04.2008 at 09:11

Written by Doc G. on 14.04.2008 at 00:45

Yeah, I did read a few magazines here and there, but have never bought one myself, fortunately. The net is definitely the place for information though, at least there's more truth to what is spoken (given you know the right sites... ).

Yeah, and at least theres room for correction on the internet, nothing is permanent on here. But I like having magazines so I have a hard copy of something to look back on in the future.
----
- George Carlin
14.04.2008 - 15:04
Hangar XVIII
I like Metal Hammer a bit. The only things I don't like about it are the layouts. It gets hard to read sometimes for me. It's fine for me sicne I don't know that much about metal, but I can see how a long time listener of the genre wouldn't like it.
I used to like Metal Edge, but i has a lot more poppy metal.

Guitar World isn't really a metal magazine, but it talks a lot about metal in it.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
17.04.2008 - 00:29
Haightredy
Metal Hammer, Revolver, And there's a lot of metal stuff in Guitar World, if you're a guitarist.
17.04.2008 - 03:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Haightredy on 17.04.2008 at 00:29

Metal Hammer, Revolver, And there's a lot of metal stuff in Guitar World, if you're a guitarist.

Revolver went downhill a while ago. Metal Hammer is dreadful, the last issue I bought had atrocious mistakes in it (read posts above), but I recently discovered BW & BK is awesome, definitely check that out, its available most places where you can find Metal Hammer.
----
- George Carlin
17.04.2008 - 04:00
Haightredy
Written by Doc G. on 17.04.2008 at 03:47

Written by Haightredy on 17.04.2008 at 00:29

Revolver went downhill a while ago. Metal Hammer is dreadful, the last issue I bought had atrocious mistakes in it (read posts above), but I recently discovered BW & BK is awesome, definitely check that out, its available most places where you can find Metal Hammer.

Ah, I just read that post. I'll check out BW & BK next time then.
20.04.2008 - 06:16
Torture Killer
Account deleted
i like revolver its usually pretty good and it normally sticks to good metal but it does venture into commercial crap a lot.
i also like guitar world but lately its really sucked
21.04.2008 - 20:04
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by FOOCK Nam on 13.04.2008 at 11:20

Written by Guest on 01.04.2008 at 11:46

My favourite one is Terrorizer, they have pretty cool reviews, also Zero Tolerance is another good one. Don't like Metal Hammer though, it's way too emo for me

How much do they cost ?

For most of the magazines we've got here, about 3 or maybe 4 pounds, but some could only cost 2 pounds
21.04.2008 - 21:48
-Soulreaper-
Terrorizer is a really good one but kind of expensive to get being in the US and everything. Also there is one called Unrestrained that comes out every 3 months that has great reviews and articles. I really like the German Metal Hammer. The english ones arent good at all. Also the german magazine Legacy is really damn good.
25.04.2008 - 21:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
OK. I just got an issue of BW & BK, I dont think I can ever read Metal Hammer ever again. BW & BK is less flash and fluff, and more substance, they dont rely on big names, and most importantly: THEY ASK REAL QUESTIONS IN THE INTERVIEWS!!!! Metal Hammer seems like a fucking metal tabloid now, they only seem to ask about the bands personal lives and shit, BW & BK seem to ask questions about the actual music, instead of "Whats it like to be on tour? or What did you have for breakfast this morning? Did you get drunk last night?" It seems like the magazine is put together by actual musicians, they ask question about different riffs, sounds and directions the band makes in new albums. And theyre not constantly on Machine Heads cock so to speak.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Metal Hammer may be thicker, but if you took out all the ads it would be the same length as BW & BK, BW&BK has barely any ads, which is a bonus, its also cheaper.
----
- George Carlin
29.04.2008 - 18:39
MetalMiker
Account deleted
I used to own a magazine in Australia called Screamers Metal Magazine... I only published one issue, which was a full-colour gloss A4 magazine and featured interviews with Devin Townsend, Dragonforce, Axxis, Lake Of Tears, Fear Factory, Black Majesty, Lord Tim, Hydrogyn and an article on Helloween. It was too expensive to uphold and I was in my last year of school at the time, so didn't have time to deal with it once it was done. I had a publishing deal lined up with this guy, who was going to put money towards printing, advertising and distribution for me, but he ended up having family problems last minute and pulled out (or so he said).

I have thought about trying to make the magazine again, since I have the experience of making one already, but it takes too much effort to do alone (not to mention time, which I have very little of). It's a shame though because I was planning to concentrate on power/traditional/thrash metal bands with the magazine, which there isn't enough focus on.

I usually buy Classic Rock out of music magazines... it's more on the side of 70s music, but it often features a lot of melodic metal bands as well. Besides that I've also bought a number of issues of Metal Maniacs and Metal Hammer... Metal Hammer can be good sometimes, other times it's absolute rubbish. I've never bought any issues of Terrorizer, but I have looked at them before and know they're a quality magazine.

There aren't many metal magazines out there that are worth my time (which is why I decided to make my own) and I think it's also because, like CDs, it is a dying art. People use websites more often, and trends are moving away from magazines. Although I could be wrong, but that's what everyone always says. I remember reading somewhere that sales figures for metal magazines have improved in the past few years, so I'm not sure what to think.

But yea, there's basically Metal Maniacs, Terrorizer, Metal Hammer and Classic Rock and that's it. Down here in Australia at least. I'm sure there's some fantastic mags up in Europe, especially in Germany and Scandinavia.
01.05.2008 - 18:58
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i read metal hammer purely for the subterrean bit and for the fact its 100 zillion timnes better that kerrang...works out cheaper too. i think though, sometimes some of the bands they feature are just SHIT! i mean they had my chemical romance as the feature band once i was gobsmacked.

also i like the iron maiden sticker book, im determined to get all the stickers haha
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
11.08.2008 - 02:08
Oracle
Orcinus
If im gonna read a metal magazine, its Metal Maniacs. Ive found that these mags have pretty good stuff in them and the bands in them are a bit more underground than in other mags such as Metal Hammer etc. I also find that this mag has great posters in them.
I like Metal Maniacs because they are not too mainstream.

EDIT: Ive also found some good bands in that mag
11.08.2008 - 20:01
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Oracle on 11.08.2008 at 02:08

If im gonna read a metal magazine, its Metal Maniacs. Ive found that these mags have pretty good stuff in them and the bands in them are a bit more underground than in other mags such as Metal Hammer etc. I also find that this mag has great posters in them.
I like Metal Maniacs because they are not too mainstream.

EDIT: Ive also found some good bands in that mag

There we go, i was wondering if anyone knew about this magazine, i've never went for anything else. Metal Maniacs have alot of interviews that are interesting to read. They also have some concert reviews and cd reviews. The mag comes with a two sided poster, you chose, and alot of the bands that they select for interviews are underground, that's how i discovered and got interested in some bands.

NOTE : They have a tendancy to go for more black metal bands than anything else, which could be good or bad,sometimes i would like to see more death metal but they put in effort to vary the genres depite their preferences i guess.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
12.08.2008 - 04:25
Oracle
Orcinus
I got a had really good posters from metal manicas, I got a good Moonsorrow one... I like that they use the actual band logo on the posters instead of making one that looks similar or just using random font.
Yeah and some of the Info is good in the mags.
Ive had ones featuring Interviews with Jag Panzer, Therion, Midnattsol, Obituary, Nile, etc.
12.08.2008 - 07:02
thesabbathfan
i'm checkin out bw & bk's site right now. i'm liking what i see. can this magazine be found in canada?
----
12.08.2008 - 07:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by thesabbathfan on 12.08.2008 at 07:02

i'm checkin out bw & bk's site right now. i'm liking what i see. can this magazine be found in canada?

It is a Canadian magazine so it would be weird if it could not be found there
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.08.2008 - 21:29
thesabbathfan
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.08.2008 at 07:22

Written by thesabbathfan on 12.08.2008 at 07:02

It is a Canadian magazine so it would be weird if it could not be found there

orly? awesome. i'ma go out and buy me a current issue copy today =]
----
13.08.2008 - 19:18
HugeTheConqeror
I agree with the folks who like BW & BK. I find that the articles are pretty good, and the reviews are informative. I also like that the end of every issue includes several pages of upcoming release dates.

In addition, I also enjoy:
Terrorizer - A bit expensive in the U.S., but good for providing a non-American perspective
Decibel - Includes articles not only about specific bands, but about the scene in general. Lately it has been running articles about smaller metal markets, including an article this month about the metal scene in Mexico.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
14.08.2008 - 04:01
Piro
Metal Maniacs is certainly the best one. Metal Hammer focuses way too much on uber mainstream bands, that everybody knows about anyway. When I pick up a magazine, I want to learn something new about metal, not here for the 100th time that Amon Amarth is releasing a new album.

My only complaint about Metal Maniacs, is that they sometimes focus too much on Black Metal and DSBM, but recently more doom, death and power metal have been getting added, so its a nice variety.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
22.08.2008 - 07:46
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
Written by Piro on 14.08.2008 at 04:01

Metal Maniacs is certainly the best one. Metal Hammer focuses way too much on uber mainstream bands, that everybody knows about anyway. When I pick up a magazine, I want to learn something new about metal, not here for the 100th time that Amon Amarth is releasing a new album.

My only complaint about Metal Maniacs, is that they sometimes focus too much on Black Metal and DSBM, but recently more doom, death and power metal have been getting added, so its a nice variety.

i to also noticed that metal hammer focuses to much on major mainstream bands but i still enjoy knowing about some of my favorite bands.
24.08.2008 - 09:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 22.08.2008 at 07:46

Written by Piro on 14.08.2008 at 04:01

i to also noticed that metal hammer focuses to much on major mainstream bands but i still enjoy knowing about some of my favorite bands.

But at the same time, they always choose like 3 bands, then kiss their ass for months on end, right now it seems its Turisas, Machinehead, and Trivium, and they constantly kiss Dimebags ass, theres seriously at least a 1 page article on him in every goddamn issue. Not to mention they are completely biased backstabbers, which I think is very unprofessional. For example, in 1 issue they had an interview with Phil Anselmo, praising Down and discussing his health issues with what seemed to be genuine concern, then in the next issue in some of the readers response one person wrote in bashing Phil, and then Hammer agreed and said "they didnt buy any of his bullshit in the interview. Another example is that they used to put My Chemical Romance on the front cover of a few issues, now they bash them like crazy and make fun of "emo", say what you will about Phil Anselmo or My Chemical Romance, but thats completely unprofessional and very low. Another thing is they dont even get their info write, in the readers poll this year they had Municipal Waste in "the best new band" category, even though theyve released 3 albums, 1 demo, and have been around for over 5 years, thats half a decade, in an Eluveitie review they call them a "Swedish 6-piece"....uhhh they are a swiss 8-piece, and thats not really hidden info, just look at the fucking liner notes and count, and go to their fucking myspace and read where theyre from...dumbasses. My final problem lies with the fact they have FAR too many ads, more than any magazine should have.
----
- George Carlin
25.08.2008 - 01:14
Conemetal
Written by HugeTheConqeror on 13.08.2008 at 19:18

I agree with the folks who like BW & BK. I find that the articles are pretty good, and the reviews are informative. I also like that the end of every issue includes several pages of upcoming release dates.

He's right I like BW & BK magazine, I'm geting it since Nº 96. I like Unrestrined! too. Is not easy get magazines here in my country.... but I have a good collection of metal underground magazines. most from southamérican metal under scenes
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
25.08.2008 - 01:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 24.08.2008 at 13:01

And this is why I come here and read what you guy's have to say, then with a few clicks verify it for myself. Awesome.

Oh yeah, and as icing on the shit cake, I just noticed they called Children Of Bodom a black metal band repeatedly in a recent issue.
----
- George Carlin
11.06.2010 - 22:10
busta5000
Account deleted
Wow if there was a metal magazine that would be so awesome.
11.06.2010 - 22:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.06.2010 at 22:10

Wow if there was a metal magazine that would be so awesome.

Umm... what?