Style: Symphonic metal
Release date: May 2005

01. Vinland Saga
02. Farewell Proud Men
03. Elegy
04. Solemn Sea
05. Leaves' Eyes
06. The Thorn
07. Misseri (Turn Green Meadows Into Grey)
08. Amhrán (Song Of The Winds)
09. New Found Land
10. Mourning Tree
11. Twilight Sun
12. Ankomst
13. Heal [Limited Edition Digipack bonus]
14. For Amelie [New version] [Limited Edition Digipack bonus]
+ Elegy (Video) [Limited Edition Digipack bonus]
+ Interview (Video) [Limited Edition Digipack bonus]
+ Making Of A Saga (Video) [Limited Edition Digipack bonus]

Lately developing a desire for some epic metal in my diet, I received multiple recommendations to check out this band that apparently balances a mix of clean female vocals with harsh growls over powerful orchestrations, how very disappointing this purchase was.

The opening track, a cool sounding build-up that seems to become a little drawn out before hitting the second track, which has the same problem as the album opener, cool sounding main riff, that becomes repetitive and drawn out....and then a third track, which follows the same formula again! At this point it seems one should abandon all hope and switch to a better album, when those harsh vocals finally come in, the sound is beautiful; a powerful orchestra, some peaceful operatic vocals mixed with crushing growls, why couldn't there be more of this? The rest of the album then falls into the previous pattern occasionally being saved by the contrast of harsh vocals, but for the most part its incredibly difficult to decipher each song from one another.

Okay, maybe this album wasn't entirely bad. The orchestrations can have a very powerful sound if played on a decent sound system, otherwise it grows stale by the fourth song. Every once in a while a cool guitar lead comes through, when not completely buried in production, like the solo in 'Farewell Proud Men', which sounds as if Slash himself could have been playing it.

Overall this album is pretty unnecessary in the grand scheme of the metal scene, there is very little originality in it, no new ground tread. I would only recommend this to people who are already very interested in epic symphonic metal, otherwise you are going to be just as bored as I was.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 9

Written by Doc G. | 12.03.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 110 users
03.04.2008 - 21:52
Rating: 10
Enissa
I Dont Agree At ALL!!!!
this is one of the best Symphonic Metal albums i've ever heard....
04.04.2008 - 07:15
Rating: 9
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
I disagree with a few things in this review... mainly, because it seems to me like you want the album the sound a certain way, with more growls vs. soft female vocals, but to me that's not really what the album is about. No discussion of the viking themes in the album? That's a rather prominent one to me, but instead the review just lashes against the form of the album instead of giving a new listener much to go on.

I don't feel this album is a ten; the production always is, but the songs do get a bit simple when they could have had more dynamic arrangements. But there are some amazing ballads here - particularly "Misseri (Turn Green Meadows into Grey)," "Mourning Tree," and "Leaves Eyes," the latter of which made a masterful choice for a friends' wedding song! I think there is a lot more to discuss in this album - including some flaws. And strangely enough, the parts of the CD I dislike the most are when Alex sings. He's awesome on stage, but I don't care for him on this CD at all!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
25.04.2008 - 08:47
tonton
Account deleted
Elegy- a song with atmospheric beauty.
25.04.2008 - 10:29
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I remember I listened to this a long time ago. But actually I don't think it was that bad. I think Lovelorn was much better but this is by no means a bad album. Its Leave's Eyes style and its not meant to be extraordinarily groundbreaking as I see it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
24.03.2009 - 17:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I don't see why people think 6 is such a bad rating. It's just "average" and that's the best way to describe it. Because it has it low and high points. I just don't like the album but I can understand why people like them.

Good review.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.03.2009 - 17:26
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.03.2009 at 17:20

I don't see why people think 6 is such a bad rating. It's just "average" and that's the best way to describe it. Because it has it low and high points. I just don't like the album but I can understand why people like them.

Good review.

Dunno, it's like at school where the highest mark is ten and the lowest - 1 (at least here). And the good marks start after 7, maybe that's why 6 isn't that pleasing.

Certainly, I have my own opinion about this band, this album and so. Since I like Leaves' Eyes a lot, I might not be as objective as I would like to be, but I wouldn't rate this album with 6. I'd give it at least 7 and I'm not even talking about 10. Of course, it's not perfect.
27.09.2009 - 02:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Wasnt too impressed by this album....i agree with 6 meaning it is "average"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.09.2010 - 03:55
Lovecraft
Account deleted
It's not that bad, but it's not impressive either.

Hits total: 5782 | This month: 10