Metal Storm logo
The Mars Volta

17.06.2006 - 18:44
Detric
King Of Twilight
Ive always known The Mars Volta, I just never gave them a second chance, cause I didnt like em at first. So decided to give them another chance, and I really liked it this time. But I have no albums by them, and ive only heard some of their songs like Inertiatic Esp, Roulette Dares, The Widow, Televators and some others I cant remeber, but I thought they were all pretty good! So is anyone into The Mars Volta? If so, what record should I start with, and which one is their best? I love how they combine alot of different genres into their music, rock, jazz, fusion, punk and many others, they are very talented.
17.06.2006 - 18:52
MigraineBoy
I love the Mars Volta, is like if Sun Ra and Horacio Hernandez have a child raised by all the guys in early Pink Floyd.
You should start from the beginning, de-loused in the comatorium.
----
Is only wrong if you don't get it!
17.06.2006 - 23:03
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
I saw some live videos from them, the vocalist is either very emotional on stage or he is completely under the influence of drugs I would say, and they are really talented indeed. Their music is not for everyone I would say. They have, as Detric said, a combination of different genres in their music, they even put some Latin stuff in that orgy of genres there. Their music has this certain ambience and mood that makes it special. The vocalist, Cedric Bixler Zavala, made a collaboration in the "Rise Above: 24 Black Flag Songs to Benefit the West Memphis Three" album, idea of Henry Rollins (known for having sang for the band Black Flag); in album in which other great figures like: Lemmy, Iggy Pop, Tom Araya, Corey Taylor and Mike Patton (between others) participated.
----
Christless
18.06.2006 - 01:27
Detric
King Of Twilight
I read somewhere that John Frusciante helped them out alot, and even added some guitar riffs on some of their albums. That is really cool, Im a huge fan of John's solo records, I didnt know he worked with The Mars Volta..
21.06.2006 - 01:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Does this tread shood not be in alterntive metal forum?
because Marts wolta thay play more alterntive metal, how old school hard rock bands in this forum?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.06.2006 - 01:46
Stigmatized
I borrowed De-loused in the Comatorium from a friend, due to the Guitar World poll that said Mars Volta's guitar player and Alexi Laiho were future legends. I didn't like what I heard, too trippy and TOO alternative for me.
26.06.2006 - 02:50
Dam3k
Cool ban... they have some fucking crazy albums, anyway is a weird band that has different styles within
----

27.06.2006 - 00:38
Freyya
At last I have De-loused in the comatorium! I already had Tremulant EP..which I love..
..anyway..This band is great, excellent sound and very unique, it's like an explosion of energy and passion
----
"Music was invented to confirm human loneliness"
27.06.2006 - 22:44
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
They're great musicians mixing latin rithyms as salsa and metal like Rush, i didn't expect that from these guys that play word scissors in at the drive in, one of my favorite bands.
12.07.2006 - 23:32
Endoftherainbow
The Mars Volta are on of my favorite bands of all time Omar Alfredo Rodriguez Lopez is a genius. If you're going to get into them start at the begining with De-Loused in the Comatorium. My favorite album by them though is Frances the Mute because it's more heavily rooted in ambience and it's way trippier. If you like this band I would also highly suggest checking out Omar's solo albums. I'm still in awe that this band came from At The Drive in because it's completely different I guess that's what more drugs will do to you Another great thing about this band is the vocalist Cedric Bixler Zavala he has an amazing voice that really suites the music. I'm really disapointed that I'm missing them play with the Red Hot Chili Peppers but it sold out to quickly.
16.07.2006 - 02:09
Detric
King Of Twilight
Thanks all, just got De-Loused In The Comatorium which I cant stop listening to. I gotta get me some more with these guys, great stuff!
20.07.2006 - 23:36
Detric
King Of Twilight
Go to www.themarsvolta.com and listen to a new track from their forthcoming album Amputechture. I like it alot, and it seems like this album is gonna be progressive as hell, they even have song thats like 16 min +, im really looking forward to get my hands on this record.

Cover:

22.07.2006 - 00:22
Endoftherainbow
Yes that is an amazing album, I downloaded it early because I couldn't wait until the release date to hear it. It's a great album it kind of has to grow on you abit because it's not as sporadic and insane as the other albums and it doesn't have as much ambience. It's a pretty mellow album for the Mars Volta but it's still an amazing great album.
24.07.2006 - 18:43
Detric
King Of Twilight
Yeah I just downloaded the album as well, and im actually very disappointed. Its a solid album and its still The Mars Volta, but where is the speed, agression and power from fx. De-Loused In The Comatorium? I dont know...Maybe I will have to give it some time and it will hopefully grow on me..
24.07.2006 - 21:08
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
i think they could be the pink floyd or king crimson of our time
24.07.2006 - 23:47
Detric
King Of Twilight
I find it hard to compare The Mars Volta to such great acts, but yeah they are extremely good and very unique ill give you that..
01.08.2006 - 02:39
Freyya
I downloaded the new one "Amputechture", I just listened to it two times and i don't know...it sounds the same, of course I'm gonna listen it more, but I'm afraid the band is turning repetitive
----
"Music was invented to confirm human loneliness"
01.08.2006 - 21:08
Endoftherainbow
Repatitive the new album is completely different then the rest of the albums. They took they same idea but now there's not as much of the insanity they took they pace down and made a really chillz record. Amputechture is just as good as the rest of the albums but not at first it kind of had to grow on me after a few listens then I just got it.
02.08.2006 - 17:54
Detric
King Of Twilight
Exactly! Its growing on me as well, it dosent have the power and agression from their earlier albums, but its a beautiful album, and im really starting to get into it. Progressive as hell, epecially the 2nd track.
02.08.2006 - 22:38
Endoftherainbow
Yeah it really is such a great album I think now that I've listened to it a bunch of times the and I think my favorite song on it is Day of the Baphomets it has a great bass solo at the begining and then it blows up into complete chaos it probably the song on that album that reminds me most of their previous albums but it still has that distinct sound that makes it fit well with the rest of the album.
14.08.2006 - 21:01
Walter Iego
Author
Elite
The Mars who!? Just kidding, I've heard some tune long ago, but that is all...
09.09.2006 - 20:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I picked up my ordered copy at the record store today. well, I have been listening to it a lot since I downloaded it and finally have the orginal copy now....
And like some of you said, it is much more chilled than their earlier work, but still immensely progressive. And for thos who thought Frances the Mute was too jammy and meandering, well this album is much more focussed memorable.
Great album to sit down to with a cigar and glass of great special beer or some exotic cocktail on a warm summer night and relax and chill to.
At times it also reminds me of Zappa.

Btw, why is this thread in the Rock forum? I think I'll move it to the Alternative forum where it belongs more IMO.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.09.2006 - 00:24
Detric
King Of Twilight
Why not? Ive never understood why it means so much where a band belongs on the forum, as long as its not too far from the yard. TMV could easily be in the rock forum, as they have rock tendencies as well and punk fx. Jesus christ..
21.10.2006 - 23:51
Talvi
The Mars Volta are incredible. I discovered them because my drum teacher recommended them. At the moment I only heard the two first albums. I prefer De-Loused, but the song Cassandra Gemini is just above this world. Great band indeed
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
27.10.2006 - 02:15
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Vinnie R. on 24.07.2006 at 21:08

i think they could be the pink floyd or king crimson of our time

the influences of those bands are obvious...but i consider them more of a Fugazi of this generation
31.10.2006 - 05:18
MUSIC?
Account deleted
The last two albums dissapointed me to no end! Maybe my expectations were to high, but Amputechture and Frances The Mute are just, well, boring. Its a whole lot of ambience with some slow "builds" that build to nothing but more latin shuffles. But eh, maybe I'm just not avantgarde enough to "get" it.

De-loused in the Comatorium kicks all kinds of ass, however.
31.01.2007 - 18:18
lenesu
Even though Im a die hard metal fan that doen accept nothing but metal this is one of my favorite bands. I agree with you that the last album is not their best (kind of mainstreamish to me) but still, it's one of the best of 2006
03.02.2007 - 03:37
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I've known of them since the time they've come out, but I never really listened to much.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
20.02.2007 - 13:17
Eight
Shapeshifter
Good band, ill listen to them again shortly. Seen The Widow clip, kinda disturbing.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
20.02.2007 - 18:46
Danigar
I love this band! At first i wasnt interested in this kind of music maybe too alternative and weird for me, but as I dig it OMG I was so impressed, this guys changed me view in music in many ways, when it comes to make experimentation and blending things. I first heard Frances the Mute and then De-Loused In The Comatorium which I find better of course, I dont know about the last one I think I need to check it out. Great band i love it