Metal Storm logo
Preconceived Ideas

Original post

Posted by eximius, 14.04.2008 - 23:53
I think all of us have dealt with problems because of preconceived ideas. This is a result of poor documentation or a result of the tendency to generalize things from particular situations.
This thread can deal with problems of racism too..

I will begin with a preconceived idea about my country, about romanians in general. Because a lot of gipsies and unemployed people left and are still leaving Romania for better developed countries like Spain and Italy, all of you think Romania is country full of gipsies and thieves, which is not true . This is a bad generalization and many people who come in Romania for the first time just open their mouths and say things like "hey, I didn't know you have cars!". Even in Africa you can find a lot of cars (see, I have a preconceived idea about africans )

A second preconception that affects me is that people think rockers/metalheads are dirty, stinky whereas I shower 3 times a day. This is of course another generalization, some are stinky...

This thread is about discussing all kind of preconceptions and make other people change their opinions about it...
03.05.2008 - 10:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by owl on 03.05.2008 at 04:19

Written by Nexus on 02.05.2008 at 22:49

Written by BloodTears on 02.05.2008 at 21:08

People think I'm always sad because I listen to metal. They are sooooo wrong

And they think I'm not a real girl because I wear combat boots, I must be a deviant. They also think I'm mean because of the way I look and when they get to know me they release I'm very nice and talkative and open.

Ok, I'm not being pretentious, I promise.

I can completely relate to you. I often have people telling me that they never expected me to be so nice, which is why they avoided talking to me beforehand. Of course, they figured I was mean because of what I wear as well, and what music I listen to, which I find is ridiculous.

The opposite happens to me.
Because I don't wear all black or combat boots every day, people tend to assume I listen to stuff like... I don't know, Aguilera, maybe. At the best of chances, they might think the heaviest sound I like is rock, but they certainly drop their jaws when I decide to tell them what I really listen to.

So, another preconceived idea here: whoever doesn't wear all black cannot like Metal.

That is indeed a preconceived idea. I have a lot of friends who don't wear combat boots or band shirts or black clothes and they are die-hard metal fans. I'm glad I met people like that because now I know that everyone that passes by me can potentially be a metal fan.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.05.2008 - 13:49
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Arian Totalis on 03.05.2008 at 06:08

Written by Sunioj on 02.05.2008 at 22:49

People thinking you are an elitist when you a rag on a band like Dimmu Borgir. No.1 lol factor of mine, not just for Dimmu, but for bands of allll ddeeee geenreeesss!

Hey, I like Dimmu

Far as preconcieved notions about the US. Well, I hate how people think that we're all a bunch of War Mongering, Elitist assholes bent on world domination and imperialization.

...and the truth is all you want is peace but countries of the third world US forces purge and destroy are making hard on you ?
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
03.05.2008 - 14:20
Torelli
I guess many preconcived ideas come with race, etnicity, nationality(etc) and music. For example that jamacians listens to reggae, balkan people like turbo folk, turks are bound to like oriental pop, black people being into hip-hop, R&B etc.

There are many examples of steriotyping specific gengres in music, but also what that person are supposed to listen to. Metalheads not liking rap, someone into baruqe music hating "loud" music, Jazz musicans hating techno etc.

As for precived ideas about my own country, somebody mentioned polar bears. But I don't think that is so common preconived idea though. Another preconcived idea would be that the majority of the girls are blond and gorgeus, always wanting sex. It might be some truth in that they are gorgeus, but they are no sex manicas and aren't always blond. Another would be that we are a liberal people, open to other cultures . Well, many have liberal veiws, but not all of them, and we actually had a racebiologial institute going on until 1977, sterilising thusands of sami people.
03.05.2008 - 19:44
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by APOHAKC on 03.05.2008 at 13:49

Written by Arian Totalis on 03.05.2008 at 06:08

Written by Sunioj on 02.05.2008 at 22:49

People thinking you are an elitist when you a rag on a band like Dimmu Borgir. No.1 lol factor of mine, not just for Dimmu, but for bands of allll ddeeee geenreeesss!

Hey, I like Dimmu

Far as preconcieved notions about the US. Well, I hate how people think that we're all a bunch of War Mongering, Elitist assholes bent on world domination and imperialization.

...and the truth is all you want is peace but countries of the third world US forces purge and destroy are making hard on you ?

No.....just no.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
01.08.2008 - 03:45
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I think you all know it, but still, I hat the preconception everyone has about my country: teh cocaine suppliers of teh world. We're notthe only country with drug dealers. Also, please please please.... stop asking about Pablo Escobar (Hell, some people have asked me about him a couple weeks ago) he died 15 years ago. Please?
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
02.08.2008 - 20:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 01.08.2008 at 03:45

I think you all know it, but still, I hat the preconception everyone has about my country: teh cocaine suppliers of teh world. We're notthe only country with drug dealers. Also, please please please.... stop asking about Pablo Escobar (Hell, some people have asked me about him a couple weeks ago) he died 15 years ago. Please?

i asked someone here about him some time ago, yeah i never got a response lmao
02.08.2008 - 21:33
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Valentin B on 02.08.2008 at 20:01

Maybe because we colombians, specially young ones, are tired of people asking or the same: cocaine and Pablo. I don't mean to offend you, butit seems in Europe and teh USA the only thing that comes to someone's mind with the word "Colombia" is cocaine. Why not coffee? Why not beautiful women? Why not frogs? (We're one of te countries with mre species of frogs), why not orchids? *sigh*
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

02.08.2008 - 21:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 02.08.2008 at 21:33

Maybe because we colombians, specially young ones, are tired of people asking or the same: cocaine and Pablo. I don't mean to offend you, butit seems in Europe and teh USA the only thing that comes to someone's mind with the word "Colombia" is cocaine. Why not coffee? Why not beautiful women? Why not frogs? (We're one of te countries with mre species of frogs), why not orchids? *sigh*

sure man, i see your point, it's the same with Romania and Dracula, vampires etc. it's like almost when anyone says "transylvania" the sky darkens, there's an evil laughter in the air, all the dogs start barking and cowering, the horses all go bananas and wolves magically escape from the zoo and start roaming the streets etc. and of course the guy you were talking to about ___TRANSYLVANIA___, with a scared look on his face immediately asks "oh you mean that weird-ass place where it's raining all the time, where the werewolves, count Dracula, Frankenstein and Igor all live?"... songs like "Translyvanian Hunger" help a lot to get rid of the stereotype :

other than that, there's the horrible news images of floods and other disastrous shit that only happens here of course.
03.08.2008 - 07:21
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Valentin B on 02.08.2008 at 21:47

sure man, i see your point, it's the same with Romania and Dracula, vampires etc. it's like almost when anyone says "transylvania" the sky darkens, there's an evil laughter in the air, all the dogs start barking and cowering, the horses all go bananas and wolves magically escape from the zoo and start roaming the streets etc. and of course the guy you were talking to about ___TRANSYLVANIA___, with a scared look on his face immediately asks "oh you mean that weird-ass place where it's raining all the time, where the werewolves, count Dracula, Frankenstein and Igor all live?"... songs like "Translyvanian Hunger" help a lot to get rid of the stereotype :

other than that, there's the horrible news images of floods and other disastrous shit that only happens here of course.

I've never seen those news Valentin...
But when I hear Romania I think of forests, churches, trains... Not of vampires
----

03.08.2008 - 13:56
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 03.08.2008 at 07:21

well, you probably don't watch EuroNews too often lol
03.08.2008 - 15:14
Torelli

Why not coffee? Why not beautiful women?

Well, people do assoicate Colombia with these things aswell, alltough the beautiful women goes for the whole latin america.
04.08.2008 - 04:25
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Valentin B on 03.08.2008 at 13:56

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 03.08.2008 at 07:21

well, you probably don't watch EuroNews too often lol

No, I don't but we have those awful things here too, in winter this year a poor neighborhood from my city wass buried under a landslide. It was terrible.ç

Written by Torelli on 03.08.2008 at 15:14

Why not coffee? Why not beautiful women?

Well, people do assoicate Colombia with these things aswell, alltough the beautiful women goes for the whole latin america.

Well you're right about that
----

05.08.2008 - 08:55
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@+{Jonas}+: Hahaha...Jonas you and I had a conversation awhile ago though PM and I remember one of the first things I said that came to mind when I thought of your country was the coffee... :
09.08.2008 - 05:40
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Guest on 05.08.2008 at 08:55

@+{Jonas}+: Hahaha...Jonas you and I had a conversation awhile ago though PM and I remember one of the first things I said that came to mind when I thought of your country was the coffee... :

Yes I remember that. I felt happy that for once someone did not say cocaine.
But that's th problem with living in the third world countries. The rest of the world will almost always remember the bad things. Not even the good, or the unique things.
but when someone says... Canada, I think of big forests, cold, nice cities, fois gras, wood cutters, bears... See? Good things, characteristic things. But it seems that Colombia only means Cocaine and Coffee :
Or "England" I think: Mini Cooper, Rain, Big Ben, elegant serious people, and tea at 5:00 PM. But hanna told me that's not true... she spoiled my fantasy of tea at 5 o' clock
----