Metal Storm logo
Anime

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 05:02
This topic is for the discussion of Anime - The Japanese animation which is either loved or hated by the majority of movie-going individuals.

My experience of the art form is limited however, only being familiar with the films "Princess Mononoke" "Spirited Away" & "Howls Moving Castle".

So if there are any Anime experts out there, please feel free to jump straight into this thread and recommend me some movies that I can't live without!

Cheers.
18.08.2011 - 16:04
whatsacow
Written by [user id=4365] on 18.08.2011 at 15:05

Written by whatsacow on 18.08.2011 at 14:55

The art style gets progressively better. It's the animators who did Card captors and that crap, so everyone is abnormally thin, especially in their limbs. But give it another go. I was a bit eh on it myself, then I got to about the 6th or seventh episode and watched the rest in a single sitting.

Hmm I remember quite liking the artstyle of Cardcaptor... well I'll certainly persevere with it, just to say I've watched it (the historical setting isn't my cup of tea really) and because of the things I've heard.

Its not a historical setting, it's modern day. England has just taken over japan in a war and taken their culture.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
18.08.2011 - 16:04
whatsacow
Written by [user id=4365] on 18.08.2011 at 15:05

The art style gets progressively better. It's the animators who did Card captors and that crap, so everyone is abnormally thin, especially in their limbs. But give it another go. I was a bit eh on it myself, then I got to about the 6th or seventh episode and watched the rest in a single sitting.

Hmm I remember quite liking the artstyle of Cardcaptor... well I'll certainly persevere with it, just to say I've watched it (the historical setting isn't my cup of tea really) and because of the things I've heard.

Its not a historical setting, it's modern day. England has just taken over japan in a war and taken their culture.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
18.08.2011 - 16:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by whatsacow on 18.08.2011 at 16:04

It's an alternative history anime - it's set in an alternative version of history therefore an historical setting ;]
18.08.2011 - 19:10
whatsacow
Quote:
Written by [user id=4365] on 18.08.2011 at 16:07

Written by whatsacow on 18.08.2011 at 16:04

It's an alternative history anime - it's set in an alternative version of history therefore an historical setting ;]

Yeah... I had a big argument to back up my theory, but half way through my argument I concluded I was wrong, laughed embarrassedly at my mistake and deleted everything I said so I didn't look like a bigger idiot
Don't argue with people on the internet. They always win...
----
18.08.2011 - 19:18
whatsacow
Written by [user id=4365] on 18.08.2011 at 19:14

Written by whatsacow on 18.08.2011 at 19:10

Yeah... I had a big argument to back up my theory, but half way through my argument I concluded I was wrong, laughed embarrassedly at my mistake and deleted everything I said so I didn't look like a bigger idiot
Don't argue with people on the internet. They always win...

Well in this case I don't think there's a definite "right" - just interpretations : P I don't really like history and stuff like that so when I found out Code Geass was set in the current day with a similar kind of history to real life (same country names and that) it put me off a little, I guess I like my anime to be a bit more otherworldly. Unlike other animes that hooked me from the off like Planetes did a few weeks ago (oddly enough because it's very close to real life) Code Geass is probably one that will take a bit more dedication and learning the characters and stuff.

Its got witches and mechs. And witches who ride mechs. How otherworldly do you want?
And I meant the alternate history thing.
----
18.08.2011 - 19:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by whatsacow on 18.08.2011 at 19:18

Its got witches and mechs. And witches who ride mechs. How otherworldly do you want?

I know, it's weird isn't it. I think it's the little things that bother me, the costumes and stuff.
18.08.2011 - 19:20
whatsacow
Written by [user id=4365] on 18.08.2011 at 19:19

Written by whatsacow on 18.08.2011 at 19:18

I know, it's weird isn't it. I think it's the little things that bother me, the costumes and stuff.

Oh well. It's personal choice. I wish You didn't reply to me, because you had 4400 posts, and I found it amusing...
----
18.08.2011 - 19:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by whatsacow on 18.08.2011 at 19:20

Oh well. It's personal choice. I wish You didn't reply to me, because you had 4400 posts, and I found it amusing...

There you go, I just deleted two posts and made this one, putting me on 4400 again Probably won't stay that way for long.
18.08.2011 - 19:25
whatsacow
Written by [user id=4365] on 18.08.2011 at 19:22

Written by whatsacow on 18.08.2011 at 19:20

There you go, I just deleted two posts and made this one, putting me on 4400 again Probably won't stay that way for long.

Very nice
----
18.08.2011 - 21:04
bj_waters

It's the animators who did Card captors and that crap, so everyone is abnormally thin, especially in their limbs.

Forgive me, but I feel this needs to be clarified. Cardcaptor Sakura, a (great) manga adaptation, was animated by Madhouse studios whereas Code Geass was produced by Sunrise as an entirely original series. However, the original Cardcaptor Sakura manga was written by CLAMP who were commissioned by Sunrise to design the characters, but that's as far as their involvement is concerned. Still, if the lanky figures and outrageous costumes are the issue, then CLAMP definitely to blame. It's been their style for years.
19.08.2011 - 08:42
whatsacow
Written by bj_waters on 18.08.2011 at 21:04

It's the animators who did Card captors and that crap, so everyone is abnormally thin, especially in their limbs.

Forgive me, but I feel this needs to be clarified. Cardcaptor Sakura, a (great) manga adaptation, was animated by Madhouse studios whereas Code Geass was produced by Sunrise as an entirely original series. However, the original Cardcaptor Sakura manga was written by CLAMP who were commissioned by Sunrise to design the characters, but that's as far as their involvement is concerned. Still, if the lanky figures and outrageous costumes are the issue, then CLAMP definitely to blame. It's been their style for years.

Yeah, I knew it was the animators of the manga but I didn't know all the details. Thanks for clarifying.
----
23.09.2011 - 04:55
bj_waters
The Fall 2011 Season is coming upon us!! I'm most interested in Gundam AGE (no way I'm missing new Gundam), Ika Musume 2 (loved the first season), and the new Hunter X Hunter (MADHOUSE!). What are you looking forward to?
24.09.2011 - 18:25
nana.MD
Star-Queen
I haven't found a great anime lately...I'm currently watching Naruto but I want something else for the rest of the week. Any suggestions??
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
24.09.2011 - 22:10
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by nana.MD on 24.09.2011 at 18:25

I haven't found a great anime lately...I'm currently watching Naruto but I want something else for the rest of the week. Any suggestions??

One of my friends suggested Monster, he claims that it is one of the greatest Animes he has ever seen
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
24.09.2011 - 23:47
bj_waters
Written by InnerSelf on 24.09.2011 at 22:10

One of my friends suggested Monster, he claims that it is one of the greatest Animes he has ever seen

That's a pretty jarring shift of tone, going from an action/adventure like Naruto to a crime/thriller like Monster. Also, given that Monster is 74 episodes, I doubt anyone would want to marathon it over a weekend.

Here's a recommendation chart I once found. I think it's pretty good one: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/520/1231597081650xv1.jpg/. (Click on the pic to make it bigger.)
Another place worth checking out is http://www.anime-planet.com/. They're a website dedicated to charting your anime watching and providing recommendations.
25.09.2011 - 12:51
whatsacow

Depends. What type of show do you feel like watching?
----
25.09.2011 - 21:48
InnerSelf
proofread free
Quote:
Written by bj_waters on 24.09.2011 at 23:47

That's a pretty jarring shift of tone, going from an action/adventure like Naruto to a crime/thriller like Monster. Also, given that Monster is 74 episodes, I doubt anyone would want to marathon it over a weekend.

I just recommended the first thing that went through my mind
----
is not bold enough
26.09.2011 - 22:07
bj_waters
Quote:
Written by InnerSelf on 25.09.2011 at 21:48

Written by bj_waters on 24.09.2011 at 23:47

I just recommended the first thing that went through my mind

Just for the sake of clarity, I wasn't bashing your recommendation, I just thought it might not have been the best recommendation because he was a fan of Naruto. I know that it's a highly acclaimed series (I personally thought the pacing got pretty sluggish from time to time). It's on the recommendation picture I posted a link for. I just don't think it's for everybody and especially not if you just want light entertainment.
26.09.2011 - 23:39
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by bj_waters on 26.09.2011 at 22:07

Just for the sake of clarity, I wasn't bashing your recommendation, I just thought it might not have been the best recommendation because he was a fan of Naruto. I know that it's a highly acclaimed series (I personally thought the pacing got pretty sluggish from time to time). It's on the recommendation picture I posted a link for. I just don't think it's for everybody and especially not if you just want light entertainment.

I know you weren't bashing my suggestion and I agree with you that a fan of Naruto would not see this as the best of suggestions
I still have not seen it but this friend of mine won't shut up talking about it and he is an expert in Anime so I figured it must be really good
----
is not bold enough
08.11.2011 - 18:49
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by whatsacow on 25.09.2011 at 12:51

Depends. What type of show do you feel like watching?

mmm well I've seen naruto,fma, death note, monster, elfen lied, etc...something like that maybe
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
08.11.2011 - 18:51
nana.MD
Star-Queen

I already saw it, thanks! I liked it...there's not much to see lately, I got back to Bleach
----
08.11.2011 - 18:56
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by nana.MD on 08.11.2011 at 18:51

I already saw it, thanks! I liked it...there's not much to see lately, I got back to Bleach

yeah the last three episodes were great, seems like the new chapter is going to be great
----
is not bold enough
09.11.2011 - 03:06
whatsacow

If you havent seen it already, you'll probably like code geass... especially if you like death note. If you're in the mood for an adventure/action/cpmedy, I'd say samurai champloo. Its from the maker of Cowboy Bebop, though its not quite as good, it has some of the best animation i've seen this side of the new gundams.
Also, I'd highly recommend Rah-Xephon, especially if you like Evangellion. Other recommendations: Trinity Blood, Trigun, Wolf Rain, Claymore,
----
09.11.2011 - 04:00
eponymous
Written by whatsacow on 09.11.2011 at 03:06

I'd say samurai champloo. Its from the maker of Cowboy Bebop, though its not quite as good, it has some of the best animation i've seen this side of the new gundams.

It's true that it's not as good as CB. It's much, much better
10.11.2011 - 06:35
nana.MD
Star-Queen

If you havent seen it already, you'll probably like code geass... especially if you like death note. If you're in the mood for an adventure/action/cpmedy, I'd say samurai champloo. Its from the maker of Cowboy Bebop, though its not quite as good, it has some of the best animation i've seen this side of the new gundams.
Also, I'd highly recommend Rah-Xephon, especially if you like Evangellion. Other recommendations: Trinity Blood, Trigun, Wolf Rain, Claymore,

evangelion, wolf's rain and claymore are good ones...ok thanx I'll check them out!!
----
10.11.2011 - 13:40
whatsacow
Written by eponymous on 09.11.2011 at 04:00

I'd say samurai champloo. Its from the maker of Cowboy Bebop, though its not quite as good, it has some of the best animation i've seen this side of the new gundams.

It's true that it's not as good as CB. It's much, much better

Each to their own. I prefer bebop. Champloo is amazing, but I like bebop more.
----
25.12.2011 - 18:20
Zenzero
Zenzero

Try Anohana and Code Geass!!
03.01.2012 - 20:28
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Zenzero on 25.12.2011 at 18:20

Try Anohana and Code Geass!!

Thanks!! I will and let you know
----
02.02.2012 - 06:12
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Just finished Claymore and Elfen Lied. Now I'm watching Trinity Blood.
15.02.2012 - 19:45
byng
Account deleted
I recommend Hunter X Hunter. It's got a really nice story. A lot of different stories for each main character actually and I'm still waiting for the other stories. I've been waiting for ages, Yoshihiro Togashi! Please start making them!