Metal Storm logo
Anime

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 05:02
This topic is for the discussion of Anime - The Japanese animation which is either loved or hated by the majority of movie-going individuals.

My experience of the art form is limited however, only being familiar with the films "Princess Mononoke" "Spirited Away" & "Howls Moving Castle".

So if there are any Anime experts out there, please feel free to jump straight into this thread and recommend me some movies that I can't live without!

Cheers.
16.06.2006 - 01:19
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by ylside on 15.06.2006 at 17:06

I would be glad if anyone could recommend me some non-violent and psychological animes, or some humorous ones, or both. Gah.

Well, it is very difficult to find a non-violent psychological anime, but I think Lain would be most accurative. I have seen the first 4 episodes of it(I start watching it since yesterday). It is very psychological and just very odd, you might like it. I still don't really have an opinion about it. Don't expect your typical anime-type of animation, because it is a very unique drawing style.

For humorous one I can recommend you Excel Saga. You do need a bit of knowledge about manga and anime to fully enjoy this one, but it has A LOT of references towards other animes, and mainly to make fun of them. Plus, the main characters are just adorable and suits the anime really well. It is probably one of the funniest animes I have ever seen.

Other animes with a lot of good humor are Ah! My Goddess, Those Who Hunt Elves or Onegai Teacher(not Onegai Twins! that one is good too, but less humor and more serious).
22.06.2006 - 05:33
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Yknow I very rarely hear heavy metal music in the opening or closing credits of any anime. I believe that it would work well if they did just that (I've got a feeling that the Japanese have a musical ear for Power Metal, I don't know why). So far I have only heard one opening credits of an anime have a bit of heavy metal influence.
22.06.2006 - 10:50
ylside
Staff
Thanks Blackgir.

@Woven Elegy : Which is ?? The only one with a decent metal opening I've heard was Basilisk, never dared to finish it
24.06.2006 - 13:29
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Basiliask huh? I'll have to give that one a try.
The one I heard was from Bleach (ep 52 onwards i think), though dont be mistaken, it's very much a soft metal type of song.
25.06.2006 - 00:55
Nima
Account deleted
Anyone here a fan of Battle Royale? I have only gotten to the third book, but I'm pretty fascinated with it. Just in case someone thinks I have a gore fetish or something like that, I consider Battle royale to be "Macabre art"
25.06.2006 - 01:18
Kami-Sama
Account deleted
Theres an cowboy bebop episode called "heavy metal queen" where the music is heavy metal. I downloaded the song and it's not that bad. But of course, cowboy bebop's soundtrack is mostly jazz and blues.
25.06.2006 - 06:42
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
True, i've seen that episode, but it is the only one of the series that has heavy metal, its mainly a jazz/blues kind of anime.
27.06.2006 - 22:11
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
The soundtrack of cowboy bebop is awesome don't you think, and the serie it's out of this world, amazing, but my favorite anime (and manga of course) is the record of loddos War, very epic and beautiful, amazing too. FlCl is one of the greatest, but i love more the movies like akira or steam boy from Katsuhiro otomo, the genius of the animation, while ghost in the shell is very interesting, and what about I's from mazakazu katsura? the best animation...or talking about hentai: the black bible and immoral sisters are great demostration of anathomy. Well i'm not a otaku, but i like the manga and anime a little.
02.07.2006 - 21:03
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I love Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. Great graphics, shame it's in english and not in japanese.
And Ghost in the Shell, but the first one, the second one is not that good
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
03.07.2006 - 07:11
Alouqua
Account deleted
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 02.07.2006 at 21:03

I love Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. Great graphics, shame it's in english and not in japanese.
And Ghost in the Shell, but the first one, the second one is not that good

What??? I love the second one! I mean, Ghost in the Shell, both are really good movies with amazing graphics and the story is perfect. Ok, I understand taht the first one was more original but the second Innocence, is great too. In fact those are ma fav. movies ever!
03.07.2006 - 10:05
Icewings
La Luna
Yeah Vampire Hunter D is great...

and well Maybe someone alredy mention it but one I really really like is saber marionette J... is awesome I recorded all the episodes and I don't get tired of looking at those videos...is awesome I like the stories they make me laugh,it's hilarious stuff ...and the graphic is pretty good ...those girls are very pretty..
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
03.07.2006 - 19:27
Basso
Account deleted
Actually I do watch much anime and my favo series would have to be:

Neon Genesis Evangelion - I just HATE the main charachter and LOVE the other characthers its such a cool contrast. I also like the way the whole story gets so insanly deep. A must see as a movie fan in general and not just as an anime fan. The End of Evangelion was one of the best movie moments in my life.

Great Teacher Onizuka - Nothing deep really, just fuckin hillarious and well I just really love the way Onizuka interacts with people during the whole series.

Yakiyate Japan! - The funniest anime I have ever seen. An anime about bread baking and it is so fuckin hillarious. It plays alot of puns on other famous animes also. I really recommend this animation for people that like the chilly and funny animes.

Hellsing - No need to say something about this. Just amazing.

Full Metal Alchemist - Amazing story and intressting main charachters the villans is also very cool and the plot is always provoking intresst. A good anime without doubt.

Cowboy Bebop - I love the soundtrack, the characters, the story and most of all THE ENDING. It is so epic. A must see just for the ending.

Ghost in the Shell - Only the movie, the series totally blew. But damn the movie is amazing.

Trigun - A very good anime , even though it is rather shallow it is insanly cool and enjoyable.

BERSERK - The anime is so fucking amazing it is rediculus, just watch it. And speaking of BERSERK the manga is even better. Berserk is the best I have read to date, and it is still ongoing (the manga that is). Just WATCH / READ BOTH NOW!

Elfen Lied - The anime was VERY GOOD and HIGLY RECOMMENDED. The manga is getting scanlated now and I will read it asap it is done. CAN HARDLY WAIT!!! Also the soundtrack to Elfen Lied is fuckin amazing. The opening act really tuches me!

It seems RahXephon is rather popular here. I downloaded it and watched the first 5 episodes and I just couldnt stand the lame ass big things flying and shooting. Also I found the charachters very stiff. But since it gets so much praise I might give it another chanse.

Well actually I prefer reading manga over anime, so I would know alot more on that area, but this is my anime experiance atleast ^^
03.07.2006 - 23:08
ylside
Staff
Written by [user id=5394] on 03.07.2006 at 19:27

Actually I do watch much anime and my favo series would have to be:

BERSERK - The anime is so fucking amazing it is rediculus, just watch it. And speaking of BERSERK the manga is even better. Berserk is the best I have read to date, and it is still ongoing (the manga that is). Just WATCH / READ BOTH NOW!

Elfen Lied - The anime was VERY GOOD and HIGLY RECOMMENDED. The manga is getting scanlated now and I will read it asap it is done. CAN HARDLY WAIT!!! Also the soundtrack to Elfen Lied is fuckin amazing. The opening act really tuches me!

Well actually I prefer reading manga over anime, so I would know alot more on that area, but this is my anime experiance atleast ^^

Oh another Elfen Lied junkie ! About Berserk yes the manga is really something outstanding, chapter 276 just came two weeks ago
04.07.2006 - 19:09
Basso
Account deleted
Berserk

It is really amazing and thoose that havent read / watched the anime / manga really should. I am going to repeat this sentence untill everyone understands that! ^^
05.07.2006 - 07:39
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Written by [user id=8780] on 14.06.2006 at 04:25

I never called beautiful boys transvestites...

And I JUST noticed this!!

Yes you did yes you did yes you did!! >.<
lol but I forgive you... because today is Gackt's birthday and nothing will ruin my mood *flies away in an imaginary cloud*
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
07.07.2006 - 06:55
Aresius
Account deleted
what about InuYasha?
07.07.2006 - 10:07
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Written by [user id=5394] on 04.07.2006 at 19:09

Berserk

It is really amazing and thoose that havent read / watched the anime / manga really should. I am going to repeat this sentence untill everyone understands that! ^^

I find that Berserk is one of the most underrated animes of all time. I haven't read the manga (I've heard that it's quite different from the anime though...) but I hope to one day. I just really like the action and gory, plus it's really screwed up and I like stuff that is screwed up. ^^
07.07.2006 - 15:57
Basso
Account deleted
The anime is an exact copy of volume 4-12 of the berserk manga. In other words. The manga is everything the anime was + more It is just so insanly cool. Do yourself a favor and read it
08.07.2006 - 08:14
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Hell, Berserk is still going on with its manga even today. Its great stuff and is nearly timeless. Kentaro Miura really knows his stuff.
When compared to the anime, the anime has got nothing and explains very little about the godhand or even how Guts and Caska escaped from them.
08.07.2006 - 11:24
ylside
Staff
Damn it's so great seeing other people being interested by this masterpiece

The manga is something like 10 times better than the anime.Here is a link for those who follow Berserk in english :http://www.evil-genius.us/

What are the parts you like the most in Berserk (Both manga and anime) ?
For me it was :
-Guts against Zodd
-Gaiseric's armor (manga)
-The burning of the Queen
-Schierke's magic scenes. (manga)
And of course, the 100 men killing session !! (I love that sentence 'He CAN'T be human!')

Oh and one of my favorite songs is Behelit by Susumu Hirasawa, as I say in my profile. I love it so much.
08.07.2006 - 13:15
Basso
Account deleted
NOOOO MY HARDDRIVE FUCKED UP AND MY 50 GB MANGA WENT STRAIGHT TO HELL. NOOOOOOOOO

PS:

It really is hard to pick fav parts of Berserk. When I look at berserk I just see one hell of a long amazing uberstory. ^^

But the 100 man killing session is the most amazing one.
Another one that really touched me was when Griffith became member of the godhand and sacrificed all his "freinds".
The Gaiseric's armor is also ubercool.

PSPS: Now I am going to mourn my uberloss....
08.07.2006 - 18:20
Alkhemyst
Am I the only one here who watches all these new shows they broadcast currently in Japan. After I discovered torrents I started to follow numerous anime shows. I download and watch episodes soon as the fansub is released. For popular shows it´s usually about week delay from the broadcast in Japanese TV. This Spring has had some great animes. Fate/Stay Night, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu and the second season of School Rumble (which is one of my all time favourites) have been my latest favourites. I must recommend especially Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, it´s just extremely weird and funny but has also stunning and beautiful visual effects and animation. It´s actually top ranked anime series in www.anidb.net , which is extremely useful anime website.
----
Those words we have got
From the North´s furthest fields
From the heaths of Kalevala
09.07.2006 - 14:31
Basso
Account deleted
School rumble is quite funny. I have watched the first season and will watch the second when the whole season is done. I prefer watching them 4 eps a time or something instead of 1.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu sounds rather funny. I will prolly check it out when its done.

PS: Anyone that likes Boogiepop Phantom? I found that really cool. Veeery wierd but incredibly thought provoking.
09.07.2006 - 15:16
Alkhemyst
Written by [user id=5394] on 09.07.2006 at 14:31

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu sounds rather funny. I will prolly check it out when its done.

Actually the last episode (14th) has already been released about a week ago. Main reason for downloading the newest episode soon as fansub is ready is faster download speed. Usually new torrents offer better speed because of very large amount of seeders. Other reason is, of course, that I simply can´t wait if I like the series.
----
Those words we have got
From the North´s furthest fields
From the heaths of Kalevala
10.07.2006 - 13:46
Basso
Account deleted
hahaha. I am fine with slower downloads since I always .. I really mean always have some unread manga or unwatched anime on my computer ^^. But usually a download of one season of an anime only takes a night for me, so thats the reason for prefering the big dls
10.07.2006 - 17:09
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by [user id=5394] on 09.07.2006 at 14:31

PS: Anyone that likes Boogiepop Phantom? I found that really cool. Veeery wierd but incredibly thought provoking.

I actually have that one in my closet, haven't watched it yet. I think I should go and watch it then, but I'm still in Noir, and its kind of boring, but I want to finish that before I start a new series, or else I will probably never finish it haha
11.07.2006 - 16:45
lordz
IzZo
V.H.D is one of the best anime movies out there
I love Ninja Scroll , ghost in the shell and fist of the north star
I think all of the above mentioned anime are classics and anyone whos interested in anime should watch one of them

BTW what do you guys think of the boondocks??? I thought it was ok for an american anime
12.07.2006 - 20:04
ylside
Staff
Everyone loves Ninja Scroll There was a serial of it but I never dared to dig it up.
12.07.2006 - 23:55
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by ylside on 12.07.2006 at 20:04

Everyone loves Ninja Scroll There was a serial of it but I never dared to dig it up.

You mean the series? I saw them, but yeah, its not really worth your while to dig it up, it was quite entertaining though, just brainless with a nice plot, nothing more, nothing less. Would give at a 7/10, good animation though if I remember correctly. It's not really like the movie, which I loved as well
25.07.2006 - 20:20
Fane
Have watched anime years and many series. Like from 9 old. Good thing is that there is always anime for every age. Now watching School Rumble (crazy, but sometimes funny), Excel Saga (well.. you can laugh, but dont understand anything from it), Naruto, Bleach, Air Gear and some more.
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children was great! Animations were awesome and those combats!
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun