Metal Storm logo
Anime

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 05:02
This topic is for the discussion of Anime - The Japanese animation which is either loved or hated by the majority of movie-going individuals.

My experience of the art form is limited however, only being familiar with the films "Princess Mononoke" "Spirited Away" & "Howls Moving Castle".

So if there are any Anime experts out there, please feel free to jump straight into this thread and recommend me some movies that I can't live without!

Cheers.
23.09.2006 - 02:00
Basso
Account deleted
I just watched the last episode of Gungrave. It is fucking topquality anime. ALL characthers in this story where such intressting characters. Damn I have never seen such a wide range of awesome characters. It felt like the godfather mixed with hellsing. Damn I am so totally in love with this one. Instantly became one of my top 10 animes.

Pure fckin brilliance!
28.09.2006 - 06:01
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
I'm itching to see Blood+, Trinity Blood and Basilisk myself, they look good. At the moment however I am engaged in Bleach and Naruto. They are quite good to watch (just not naruto at the moment, its rather weak), and what I like best is long episodes.
28.09.2006 - 18:25
LeDruide
You can stop Naruto for the moment till it goes back to the animation of the manga. You'd rather watch Blood+, it's really a great show. Sad it's finished now, but you'll have 50 eps of great japanimation. Also, the music is awesome and fits well (made by Hans Zimmer).
I've also seen Tenjô Tenge. Not good at all IMO. A show with no end (stopped in the middle of the story) and characters who become strong as hell in one ep.
Back to good animes, I've already said it, but Gun X Sword is awesome. Not a shonen who wants to protect everyone. Great to see that sometimes.
28.09.2006 - 18:29
Eight
Shapeshifter
Any good advice on anime with Big Shiny Guns + Lots Of Blood + Big Shiny Guns ?
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
29.09.2006 - 03:35
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Eight on 28.09.2006 at 18:29

Any good advice on anime with Big Shiny Guns + Lots Of Blood + Big Shiny Guns ?

Well, cowboy BeBop have lots of guns n' blood, and so does trigun, though less on the blood.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
29.09.2006 - 03:39
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by LeDruide on 28.09.2006 at 18:25

You can stop Naruto for the moment till it goes back to the animation of the manga. You'd rather watch Blood+, it's really a great show. Sad it's finished now, but you'll have 50 eps of great japanimation. Also, the music is awesome and fits well (made by Hans Zimmer).
I've also seen Tenjô Tenge. Not good at all IMO. A show with no end (stopped in the middle of the story) and characters who become strong as hell in one ep.
Back to good animes, I've already said it, but Gun X Sword is awesome. Not a shonen who wants to protect everyone. Great to see that sometimes.

is naruto seriously finished?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

29.09.2006 - 10:58
LeDruide
Written by Arian Totalis on 29.09.2006 at 03:39

Written by LeDruide on 28.09.2006 at 18:25

is naruto seriously finished?

No, no, it's just that the anime doesn't follow the manga at this time. The manga hadn't enough advance. So for the moment the eps are filler eps (and are bulls**t). When they'll put the Next Generation into animation the happy days will be there again

@Jester Eddie : you can try Hellsing, vampires and big guns with silver bullets. Blood+ has lot of... blood but with no gun.
30.09.2006 - 00:47
Kami-Sama
Account deleted
@Jester Eddie :If you want loads and loads of blood, you have to see Gantz, that is one violent anime. I like it very much, it describes the dark and sadistic nature of men. Really cruel. there are some gunfighting also but not very much.
Besides that one there is perhaps evangelion where there are quite some guns (and huge guns!) and some amount of blood.
30.09.2006 - 01:14
Basso
Account deleted
Anyone here a fan of Hajime No Ippo? This is an anime and manga that seriously deserve more attention!
02.10.2006 - 11:50
?Bodomchild?
Probably someone mentionated this one but im lazy to read the 5 pages..... Saint Seiya all the series Sanctuary,Odin,Poseidon Temple and the 2 Ovas Hades and the new one winth Zeus , s.CRY.ed its a good damn serie !! Inuyasha was good but i only saw the 1st season, Eavangelion !! no need description.......and Candidate for Goddess really close to Evangelion, thats are my favorites , i really dont know the difference between manga and anime =P i like both i think
----
asd
04.10.2006 - 06:20
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
I had a feeling that Naruto was going into some next generation dealy. I saw pics of them older and wondered whether they were real or just fan drawings of what they would look like when they were older.

I just don't understand how everyone says that Evangelion is the top anime of all time, I don't really think so. I mean it's a good story and the characters are enjoyable but even to this day I still don't understand what the hell it's all about, and talk about a downer ending, christ it just doesnt put you in a good mood at all. I like animes with a good storyline and all but a happy ending withought making my head hurt would be nice.
11.10.2006 - 17:20
Graveshift
Anyone here like "Shaman King" ??
----
"We are the sons of a new millenium!!"
12.10.2006 - 04:33
Alouqua
Account deleted
yeah! I like shaman king!!!!!!! Fausto (Faust) and Eliza, just a beautiful (and twisted) love story .... I love them both! and i felt so calm when I saw Yoh just hearing music... how much I envy him... LOL And well is been a long time.... I don't really remember the details, Jeanne and the X-Laws... Lyserg and his sad face...
12.10.2006 - 05:47
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I just watched samarai X and tommorow I'm gonna watch Ninja Scroll for the second time.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

12.10.2006 - 13:38
Graveshift
Written by [user id=5217] on 12.10.2006 at 04:33

yeah! I like shaman king!!!!!!! Fausto (Faust) and Eliza, just a beautiful (and twisted) love story .... I love them both! and i felt so calm when I saw Yoh just hearing music... how much I envy him... LOL And well is been a long time.... I don't really remember the details, Jeanne and the X-Laws... Lyserg and his sad face...

haha yay! i don't tend to find many people interested in it ..
im currently watching the japanese version of it (all 64 episodes or so)
haha yes i agree about faust and eliza ...
i kinda pity morty always following like a little dog and being rather helpless haha

but its good to see someone else who is interested in this as well haha
----
12.10.2006 - 17:45
Graveshift
@Alouqua: i think it is an excellent show, however with only one series i will soon be finished watching it again ...
is there any other anime type series you have seen that you think is similar or just as good??

can anyone prescribe me a good , supernatural type themed anime to start looking into??
----
13.10.2006 - 06:14
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Raxephon is a bit odd at most times but it doesn't have that same sort of supernatural anime as you might think. I haven't seen it but i've heard that Boogiepop Phantom is meant to be quite wierd.

Heh i recently saw that Labrinth (yknow the one with David Bowie in it?) has made a sequal in the form of a manga. i think thats great, i'm gonna try and get one to see what it's like.
15.10.2006 - 04:32
Alouqua
Account deleted
Graveshift: well I can't remember any other like that one.... but I will think about it!
15.10.2006 - 20:13
Graveshift
Woven elegy: ill look into the two you suggested and see what they are like. and that film "labrinth" i remember from a while ago, i found it quite weird haha so a manga sequel could be interesting ...

Alouqua: thank you haha
----
16.10.2006 - 00:59
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Oehh, the Death Note anime is running now, the manga is absolutely brilliant and the anime looks really good as well, check it out here:

1st episode (streaming, and download): http://www.veoh.com/videoDetails.html?v=e132305KbNTSwq9
2nd episode (streaming, and download): http://www.veoh.com/videoDetails.html?v=e136988ZqCgWWmt

And the intro pv by Nightmare:

Streaming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMsVaIP38gg

EDIT - I removed the download links, I figure that we don't promote downloading here on MS, so its better to remove it ... so pm me if you want the links
18.10.2006 - 00:47
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Here are some other nice thingies from the same site:

- FLCL
6 episodes, all around 220 MB, DVD quality, needs to be downloaded to have sound
- Trigun
Currently only 10 eps available, but soon all the 24 of them
- Love Hina
30 good quality eps
- Sumarai Champloo
Entire serie, 26 eps, DVD quality, check this one out for gods sake if you haven't seen it yet
- Full Metal Alchemist
51 episodes, DVD quality
- Ghost in the Shell
The first movie in all its entirity (at least I suppose it is, I didn't checked), 300 MB, 80 mins
- Robin Witchunter
So far 13 eps, don't know how long the serie is.
- Hellsing
The serie and 2 OVA's
- Elfen Lied
12 eps (is it 12 eps long, I still haven't seen it xD)

There are more on them, and I bet most of you have seen all these already, but just in case. Oh you can stream and download them btw!
18.10.2006 - 03:05
ylside
Staff
I really love you Eddie.
18.10.2006 - 11:18
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Hahah no problem ylside I believe anytime soon the 3rd episode of Death Note will be subbed, I will keep you guys updated for when its available.
18.10.2006 - 17:49
LeDruide
Written by [user id=2134] on 04.10.2006 at 06:20

I had a feeling that Naruto was going into some next generation dealy. I saw pics of them older and wondered whether they were real or just fan drawings of what they would look like when they were older.

It's real, it's the manga. Some websites translate scans of the manga - 1 episode per week in the Wekkly Shonen Jump in Japan and it is currently Naruto Next Generation. The animation of the series will maybe come one day - well, fans hope so.
19.10.2006 - 05:18
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Is it acutally going to be called Naruto Next Generation?
Just doesn't sound right. If anything hopefully it'll be good, the anime following the manga was very enjoyably but im up to the episodes that seem very irrelevant.
20.10.2006 - 13:43
Baz Anderson
Staff
yesterday i purchased the following films:

'The Cat Returns'
'Pom Poko'
'Grave Of The Fireflies'
'Whisper Of The Heart'
'My Neighbours The Yamadas'
'Only Yesterday'
'The Castle Of Cagliostro'
'The Little Norse Prince'

so i have now completed the 14 DVD Ghibli collection and have an extra two in the form of 'The Little Norse Prince' and 'The Castle Of Cagliostro'
i have got a lot of watching to do!
20.10.2006 - 14:00
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 20.10.2006 at 13:43

'The Cat Returns'
'Pom Poko'
'Grave Of The Fireflies'
'Whisper Of The Heart'
'Only Yesterday'

so i have now completed the 14 DVD Ghibli collection and have an extra two in the form of 'The Little Norse Prince' and 'The Castle Of Cagliostro'

Grave of The Fireflies is such a beutiful movie, really sad but beutiful. Very good one!
20.10.2006 - 14:02
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by [user id=5394] on 20.10.2006 at 14:00

Written by Baz Anderson on 20.10.2006 at 13:43

'The Cat Returns'
'Pom Poko'
'Grave Of The Fireflies'
'Whisper Of The Heart'
'Only Yesterday'

Grave of The Fireflies is such a beutiful movie, really sad but beutiful. Very good one!

yeh, i am really looking forward to watching it. it has the highest rating as well - all the others are 'U' and 'PG' but this one is a '12'
i have just read about it so far - it being set during world war II, etc.
i just need to find time to watch them
25.10.2006 - 15:27
Eight
Shapeshifter
Anyone here seen 'Voices Of The Distant Star'? it is the best anime i have seen i years. Too bad it's only 25 minutes long, and it's very touching story, don't tell anyone, but i actually had tears on my eyes, and that really unusual for meh. If anyone is interested http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/231569/15278265/ heres a torrent, but you have to register first, and the registrations are only on fridays (GMT).
But if you wants it bad, i can send it by msn.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
25.10.2006 - 18:54
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by Eddie on 16.10.2006 at 00:59

1st episode (streaming, and download): http://www.veoh.com/videoDetails.html?v=e132305KbNTSwq9
2nd episode (streaming, and download): http://www.veoh.com/videoDetails.html?v=e136988ZqCgWWmt

And the intro pv by Nightmare:

Streaming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMsVaIP38gg

Oeh, I almost forgot, here is the 3rd episode: http://www.veoh.com/videoDetails.html?v=e141590kncPMKDP

And yeah, Voices of a Distant Star is a really nice movie. Made by one man on his Mac, and it has won quite a couple of awards