10. It's Not Enough to Believe
11. You Get the Life You Choose
12. Affliction
13. Brag, Exaggerate & Lie
14. Die for You
15. Next in Line
16. One Nation
17. Just One More Day

Pennywise was always the dark horse of 90s melodic "pop" hardcore and this is because unlike most bands of their ilk, their convictions always seemed genuine. Sure, they played in roughly the same style as Green Day or The Offspring (not to mention the pioneers NOFX and Bad Religion); however, their lyrics were always a stout rebellion against the gritty reality of the modern world and their music, being faster and more metallic than the genre norm, put them closer to NYHC crossover stalwarts such as Sick Of It All or Agnostic Front in terms of credibility. Since their sound hasn't really evolved much over the years, it was always the attitude that was most important in a Pennywise record. For this reason, Reason To Believe is one of the band's most important releases, and maybe one of the two that most people should certainly hear.

The difference in attitude is not immediately obvious, but becomes noticeable with multiple listens. The band is still sloganeering and ranting their way through the barrage of aggressive hardcore punk; however, for the first time ever, the dark shadow of the futility of it all rears its ugly head and makes everything exponentially more interesting. Pennywise are fighting a lost battle, and they know it - the commercial peak of the music that they and their peers practised in the 90s is long gone, with fellow bands either completely selling out or falling apart. Their adolescent but literate anger has been made into a commodity marketed by Hot Topic - the monster has easily consumed and assimilated all but one regiment of the anti-conformist army - Pennywise. They unleash the most aggressive and vicious array of hyperactive hardcore yet - "It's Not Enough To Believe", "One Reason" or "You Get The Life You Choose" all rip along at a breakneck speed, together with thrashy crossover riffs and gang shout refrains, with the remaining songs generally matching or at least approaching this intensity. The music is catchy as hell; however, the band knows that it will no longer speak to anyone.

Reason To Believe sounds like the last stand of a few brave soldiers about to lose a war. The album is obviously an attempt at finding that eponymous nexus of meaning. That the band fails at this with the record is both an epitaph to what the genre could stand for and perhaps its last brilliant product.

Written on 29.05.2008 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 40   Visited by: 131 users
30.05.2008 - 18:45
Samael
What the hell is Pennywise doing here? This is a METAL site, why not covering pop and electro at this point?
30.05.2008 - 18:52
Murder
WTF??????

what is pennywise doing here?????????
30.05.2008 - 18:54
Deadsoulman
Elite
Alright, there's a third way to say it. Which of you will find it? Anyone? Huh?
30.05.2008 - 19:18
dancingdecember
me wantz slayaaaaaahhh
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
30.05.2008 - 19:25
Glabrezu
Hey I love Pennywise but I didn't expect a review of them here xD!!
FUCK AUTHORITY!!!
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
30.05.2008 - 20:29
Bloodshed
Account deleted
Pennywise?

Let me search for that Sum 41 Review then or Blink 182, after this, maybe I get lucky.

By the way, Dead Kennedys is Hardcore Punk, not Pennywise come on!
30.05.2008 - 20:47
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
i want it cause theyve design a very nice album cover. its original . want to know about the band!
30.05.2008 - 20:49
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
oh shit is this pop! fuck shit! never want it!
30.05.2008 - 21:52
Herzebeth
^ LOL...if you read those last two posts as a nice litlle sequence is really hilarious
----
30.05.2008 - 23:51
iaberis
Advice Troll
WTF!!??
----
Bitch! Please
31.05.2008 - 17:01
Talvi
Me want to try.

OH SHIT IT'S POP! STAY AWAY!

Wait... how can crossover be pop? WTF is people saying?
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
31.05.2008 - 17:10
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
ROTFL
31.05.2008 - 18:09
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Hate to interrupt the moron/douchebag gathering here, but unlike some of you, I want to add a constructive comment for a change.

Your review made me listen to the songs on their MySpace. The last time I listenend to this band was years ago actually. I never really got into this band (and I will never have the intention to either), and I only know a couple of their songs by name. Still, I already saw Pennywise live, once in 2003 and once in 2005, both times on a festival. And I must say they are a nice festival recommendation. They really are a fun band to experience, as there's always a lot of enjoyment and atmosphere in the air when Pennywise is playing. They're certainly not the best live band, but the atmosphere on their shows is really sweet. Thanks for bringing back some teenage/festival memories.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
31.05.2008 - 19:30
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Written by Thryce on 31.05.2008 at 18:09

Hate to interrupt the moron/douchebag gathering here, but unlike some of you, I want to add a constructive comment for a change.

Your review made me listen to the songs on their MySpace. The last time I listenend to this band was years ago actually. I never really got into this band (and I will never have the intention to either), and I only know a couple of their songs by name. Still, I already saw Pennywise live, once in 2003 and once in 2005, both times on a festival. And I must say they are a nice festival recommendation. They really are a fun band to experience, as there's always a lot of enjoyment and atmosphere in the air when Pennywise is playing. They're certainly not the best live band, but the atmosphere on their shows is really sweet. Thanks for bringing back some teenage/festival memories.

great so he brought back some teenage memories for you, do you think that the rest of us never heard pennywise? land of the free is acutally the first punk record i ever bought in my life and pennywise was a big part of my teens. but a pennywise review on metalstorm is fucking wrong, period.
31.05.2008 - 21:57
Herzebeth
Besides...Pennywise IS NOT PUNK!!!

They are happy punk at best, he even mentions Green Day and The Offspring there
----
31.05.2008 - 22:46
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Guest on 31.05.2008 at 19:30

do you think that the rest of us never heard pennywise?

Never said something anywhere near that. Don't know why you think I would think that.

land of the free is acutally the first punk record i ever bought in my life and pennywise was a big part of my teens.

Good for you. Good for you.
Pennywise aren't really Punk though. Punk-influenced Hardcore, not Punk.

but a pennywise review on metalstorm is fucking wrong, period.

What's so fucking wrong about it anyway? People with an agressive and elitistic attitude are what's fucking wrong on Metal Storm, period.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
01.06.2008 - 04:31
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Murder on 30.05.2008 at 18:52

WTF??????

what is pennywise doing here?????????

i second that. if Van Halen doesnt have a profile on this site, then a review of Pennywise is uncalled for
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.06.2008 - 18:20
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Written by Thryce on 31.05.2008 at 22:46

Pennywise aren't really Punk though. Punk-influenced Hardcore, not Punk.

but a pennywise review on metalstorm is fucking wrong, period.

What's so fucking wrong about it anyway? People with an agressive and elitistic attitude are what's fucking wrong on Metal Storm, period.

ah no shit, so hardcore isn't a sub-genre of punk? thx for clearing that up.
what's so fucking wrong about it? read the title of this site: METALstorm.ee
01.06.2008 - 18:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
stop the whining...

Metalstorm does not limit itself to metal only. Anything that is loud and could well be appreciated by the readers will and should be reviewed here.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.06.2008 - 18:48
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.06.2008 at 18:38

Anything that is loud and could well be appreciated by the readers will and should be reviewed here.

yeah and as you see everyone appreciates it, lol.

edit: and btw, why don't we just review and add nu metal bands then? a) it's "loud" enough, and b) we have lots of people on this site who actually like bands like slipknot and all that other mallcore crap.
01.06.2008 - 18:57
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Quote:
I think its good to remain open-minded and check out alternative styles every now and again, and I'd like to provide such an opportunity for MetalStorm members by writing this review.

That's what jupitreas, the author of this review, wrote in the introduction of his review on a :wumpscut: record which happens to be even further away from metal than Pennywise. Back then in 2004 he received only praise for such an approach. I don't understand why this should be any different four years later. If you don't like alternative styles on this site out of fear Metal Storm might "sell out", tough luck, but that's what has been done for the past few years already even before your time on this site. There have always been elitists on this site and the reviewers (jupitreas in particular) have never given a fuck. This is a site not exclusively about metal after all, but for everything metalheads might like instead. If you don't like it, whine as much as you want, it won't change a thing anyway.

@FU: We HAVE added and reviewed nu metal bands already. Seeing as you still are a member of this site indicates that you either have never noticed or have never cared. Why should you now?
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
01.06.2008 - 19:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 01.06.2008 at 18:48

Anything that is loud and could well be appreciated by the readers will and should be reviewed here.

yeah and as you see everyone appreciates it, lol.

edit: and btw, why don't we just review and add nu metal bands then? a) it's "loud" enough, and b) we have lots of people on this site who actually like bands like slipknot and all that other mallcore crap.

Those bands ARE reviewed as well...
Some nu-metal bands are added (same for metalcore)
And those nu-metal & metalcore bands are metal so I don't see the reason behind not reviewing them here at all. Of course that is, unless you want to come across as being so true to old school metal and are afraid of the daylight and current metal scene once ytou crawl from under the rock you having been living under for most of your lives.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.06.2008 - 19:03
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
that's just typical for the metalstorm staff, if you disagree with them it's whining, no matter if your opinion is right or not.

@Pro: i didn't noticed it until 10 minutes ago and even though i know that none of you staff dudes gives a shit, i'm fucking disapointed, and i'm sure lots of other people are too. a year ago it was even in the FAQ's that nu metal bands will never get added and now look at it, it's hilarious. and this ain't nothing to do with a elitistic attitued or whatever you call it, there is heavy metal and there is nu metal, and by mixing it you will have this site run over by 13 year olds and i hope you guys will enjoy it.
01.06.2008 - 19:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 01.06.2008 at 19:03

that's just typical for the metalstorm staff, if you disagree with them it's whining, no matter if your opinion is right or not.

@Pro: i didn't noticed it until 10 minutes ago and even though i know that none of you staff dudes gives a shit, i'm fucking disapointed, and i'm sure lots of other people are too. a year ago it was even in the FAQ's that nu metal bands will never get added and now look at it, it's hilarious. and this ain't nothing to do with a elitistic attitued or whatever you call it, there is heavy metal and there is nu metal, and by mixing it you will have this site run over by 13 year olds and i hope you guys will enjoy it.

If you don't like it, fine. And if you really can't stand what we're doing fine as well, just leave then. It's not like we're hholding you captive.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.06.2008 - 19:19
Herzebeth

stop the whining...

Metalstorm does not limit itself to metal only. Anything that is loud and could well be appreciated by the readers will and should be reviewed here.

WHaaa?!?!?!

then why in hell can't I review The Doors, The Beatles, Jimmy Hendrix, The Animals, Sigur Ros, etc.?? When I did the Doors people made me promise not to do it again lol...

In other cases someone who feels like he wants to review an Infected Mushroom CD is free to do it? they are as loud as hell so why won't they right?

I'm sorry Marcel but your statement is total bull...*
----
01.06.2008 - 19:24
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Its not like Pennywise will be added as a featured band to this site. Their music, while not technically metal, it nevertheless metallic enough to easily deserve to be REVIEWED here. As mentioned in the review, some moments on this album match the kind of intensity Sick Of It All and other crossover bands, which makes it an album that metal fans MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN. Metal Storm has always been about expanding musical tastes and while you might not personally like hardcore punk, some albums from the style (as well as rapcore, EBM, industrial, gothic etc.) can be reviewed here because they are music that metal fans might like.

I dont understand why Pennywise in particular is getting all this flak in the comments when bands like Hocico have also been reviewed and nobody complained. Hocico are as much not-metal as Pennywise are, but they can be appealing to metal fans. Thats all there is to it really...
01.06.2008 - 19:28
Herzebeth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.06.2008 at 19:07

Written by Guest on 01.06.2008 at 19:03

If you don't like it, fine. And if you really can't stand what we're doing fine as well, just leave then. It's not like we're hholding you captive.

The thing is...Us being Staff we actually need to create a nice and friendly atmosphere, but it seems like if someone dislikes what you said you go ahead and bash them in the face....we are not holding them captive, but we are not providing a nice environment neither dude...
----
02.06.2008 - 16:14
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 01.06.2008 at 19:24

I dont understand why Pennywise in particular is getting all this flak in the comments when bands like Hocico have also been reviewed and nobody complained. Hocico are as much not-metal as Pennywise are, but they can be appealing to metal fans. Thats all there is to it really...

To be fair, as a dark-ebm group I very much doubt many people would've heard of them, if they had I'm sure people would have had issue. It's true though that industrial holds more appeal to metallers than, well whatever Pennywise are for some reason. Especially some of the more aggressive stuff, hardcore gabba, powernoise, power electronics etc. Would love to see more of that kinda stuff reviewed on here.
02.06.2008 - 17:34
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Guest on 02.06.2008 at 16:14

To be fair, as a dark-ebm group I very much doubt many people would've heard of them, if they had I'm sure people would have had issue. It's true though that industrial holds more appeal to metallers than, well whatever Pennywise are for some reason. Especially some of the more aggressive stuff, hardcore gabba, powernoise, power electronics etc. Would love to see more of that kinda stuff reviewed on here.

The general rule of thumb, at least for me, is that if a non-metal group features prominent elements of metal in their music, they deserve to be reviewed here. Therefore, a band like Frontline Assembly, with their many songs that feature metal riffs, definitely deserve to be reviewed, as does Pennywise, with their crossover leanings and thrashy riffs. Reviewing something that is only arbitrarily connected to metal, such as Death In June for example, which definitely matches metal in terms of intensity and volume, is a more difficult issue and I would personally not go as far as including reviews of such bands on Metal Storm (if a reviewer really wants to write about it, they can use the blogs). Pennywise has CLEAR metal elements though, which is why the whole discussion in the comments to this review makes no sense at all to me.
02.06.2008 - 23:38
jadawal
Who cares people, if you don't like the review or the music, then don't read or listen to it. It's as simple as that. Jupitreas has a point: there is metal elements within Pennywise music. I think of this the same as people who love and only love hard death metal, and hate power metal because it's "gay".

If the vocalist of Pennywise screamed and growled more it would be alright wouldn't it?

Hits total: 5450 | This month: 19