Metal Storm logo
Cobalt

08.06.2008 - 21:11
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Just though I'd make a topic about this kick ass band. The only thing I've heard from them is the latest album, "Eater of Birds" and I must say, it is really awesome. I don't accurately know how to descibe the style of music that these guys play but perhaps their first album, titled "War Metal" could provide some explanation. I guess you could call them blackthrash/war metal.

Anyways, the band is made up of two members, Phil McSorley and Erik Wunder and have released two albums so far. The newest album, "Eater of Birds" features additional vocals by Jarboe and was released through the awesome Profound Lore Records. Overall, the album is a very ritualistic experience and it is also one of my favorite albums of 2007.

Very highly recommended band.
09.06.2008 - 06:45
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
I'm waiting for their Landfill Breastmilk Beast EP.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
09.06.2008 - 09:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know band but since MA are fucked can not checked, but i thibk i know name, but im not shore
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.06.2008 - 00:57
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Bloody christians!

Decent band though. Eater of Birds and Hammerfight are both good. The first album isn't so great. Even the re-recorded tracks from Hammerfight sound weak. Shame.Eater of Birds seems to be a bit neurosis influenced. I remember reading a review of it praising it as something incredible. It's a good album but it's not wildly different to the earlier stuff.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
11.06.2008 - 08:08
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I haven't heard "Cobalt" But there's an Israeli death metal band called "Kobalt" That are pretty good.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
12.06.2008 - 17:33
TheBigRossowski
I read about them in one of my magazines. I wanna say it was Unrestrained, but I'm not positive on that. When I got around to listening to it, it wasn't that bad though.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
13.06.2008 - 03:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 09.06.2008 at 09:46

I know band but since MA are fucked can not checked, but i thibk i know name, but im not shore

If you don't have anything worthwhile to add to the the discussion please refrain from posting. This post of yours is pure unadultered SPAM. Btw, I have seen these sorts of posts by you in other threads as well.
So, one more time... if you have nothing to add, than DON'T post.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.12.2008 - 22:23
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I can't wait to get the new full length "Gin." Features vocals from Jarboe on two tracks once again. I really like the new song "Arsonry." Can't wait to get this, hopefully it's as good as "Eater of Birds" which i really loved. Here's the link for the new song:

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/mp3/Cobalt_Arsonry.mp3
13.12.2008 - 22:46
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
I think I was too nice to this album before. It's a bit boring. Has it's moments. I'll keep hold of the Hammerfight MCD though.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
14.12.2008 - 12:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I was listening to Eater of Birds again the other day and it's definitely an album that matures over time and in retrospect is one of the best releases of '07. Great guitar tone and superb build up to some of the lengthier songs and overall extremely competant songwriting. I'm not exactly sure what Jarboe's conrtribution was, I assume it's on the last track of the album: the title track. Landfill Breastmilk Beast is also pretty good but the format suits an album a lot more. Looking forward to the new one.
15.12.2008 - 23:46
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by Guest on 14.12.2008 at 12:02

I was listening to Eater of Birds again the other day and it's definitely an album that matures over time and in retrospect is one of the best releases of '07. Great guitar tone and superb build up to some of the lengthier songs and overall extremely competant songwriting. I'm not exactly sure what Jarboe's conrtribution was, I assume it's on the last track of the album: the title track. Landfill Breastmilk Beast is also pretty good but the format suits an album a lot more. Looking forward to the new one.

She guests on "Invincible Sun" and "Androids, Automatons And Nihilists" apparently.
16.12.2008 - 20:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Really? I have a closer listen. I'm not exactly sure what her contribution is tbh.
17.12.2008 - 02:18
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
If I remember correctly, it sounds pretty much the same as the Cobalt vocalist. Her vocals start in the second half of Invincible Sun if you want to hear them.
----

Read Watchmen.
09.03.2009 - 13:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New album is fucking immense.
12.03.2009 - 04:18
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.03.2009 at 13:37

I agree... and it grows with every listen. I really doubt it will be matched by another black metal album this year. BTW, I can't understnad why people label them as a mix between black metal and post-rock. I mean, it has some original songwriting and progressive instrumentation that isn't common for black metal but it's still just black metal if you ask me.
12.03.2009 - 16:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.03.2009 at 04:18

Written by Guest on 09.03.2009 at 13:37

I agree... and it grows with every listen. I really doubt it will be matched by another black metal album this year. BTW, I can't understnad why people label them as a mix between black metal and post-rock. I mean, it has some original songwriting and progressive instrumentation that isn't common for black metal but it's still just black metal if you ask me.

Actually I was just thinking that exact thing whist listening to it walking to college, people seem to chuck the "post-rock" tag at anything that has any semblance of clean sections in black metal bands these days. I'd be comfortable just calling them just black metal because frankly that's all it is to my ears. I think it definitely surpassed Eater of Birds, despite how amazing that release was and yeah, someone's gonna have to pull something incredible out of their hat to top 'Gin'
02.05.2009 - 02:56
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Just got 'Gin" the other day and i'm blown away. They definitely topped 'Eater of Birds.' Everything from the acoustic moments, to the good old war-tinged black-thrashing moments are unbelievable.
25.12.2009 - 02:43
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Why isn't this band more well known. They have an extremely Intense and Unique sound going for them. Gin is a GREAT album.
----
Coldgrits
28.12.2009 - 00:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Ordered Gin a couple of days ago, can't wait. Samples were promising.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.01.2010 - 21:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Fox News Red Eye (on around 3am or so) - a fairly amusing show of which i am a fan, and who has had Oderus Urungus from GWAR as a multi-time panel member recently conducted an interview with Phil McSorley, Staff Sergeant, US Army, and vocalist of Cobalt...

clicky

amusing watching the panel try to bob along to the audio track, but Gutfield has decent musical taste outside metal.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.01.2010 - 18:58
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
^ They're so into it.

Who's "Nee-Chee"
----

Read Watchmen.
11.01.2010 - 23:14
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I hope they release something like an EP this year, but if not, I guess there's always the Man's Gin album to look forward to.
12.01.2010 - 17:12
Meep
Account deleted
Gin received the number 2 slot in Terrorizer's top 40 of 09 which was a pleasant surprise. The rest of the list outside of ANb at 8 was less impressive
12.01.2010 - 18:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 12.01.2010 at 17:12

Gin received the number 2 slot in Terrorizer's top 40 of 09 which was a pleasant surprise. The rest of the list outside of ANb at 8 was less impressive

But vastly superior to the readers' poll. My God, Behemoth won all categories except for two. How the hell is that possible? Are the Terrorizer readers deaf?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.01.2010 - 19:43
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Newer Behemoth ain't bad. I'd choose Demigod over any of their BM records.
----

Read Watchmen.
12.01.2010 - 20:40
Meep
Account deleted
Deafness still wouldn't be an excuse for choosing Behemoth over the vast majority of other releases this year. And did Converge really deserve the number 1 spot for the official list? Converge tend to be good but number 1 worthy? I doubt it somehow, not that I've heard it
12.01.2010 - 20:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 12.01.2010 at 20:40

Deafness still wouldn't be an excuse for choosing Behemoth over the vast majority of other releases this year. And did Converge really deserve the number 1 spot for the official list? Converge tend to be good but number 1 worthy? I doubt it somehow, not that I've heard it

Problem with staff lists also is the more writers you have the more consensus-like the list will become.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.01.2010 - 11:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 08.01.2010 at 21:31

clicky

amusing watching the panel try to bob along to the audio track, but Gutfield has decent musical taste outside metal.

That almost looked like some SNL skit or something...except it was funny.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.01.2010 - 07:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Hey, those of you who own the physical cd, please check yours out... wondering if they are all fucked up or i got some super uberkvlt pressing... the spine of the copy i picked up today reads: COBLAT... lol
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.01.2010 - 08:00
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Mine too. Damn PFL screwed up with it lol. Although I prefer the theory that it's an uberkvlt pressing.