Metal Storm logo
Robbie Williams

14.07.2008 - 13:56
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I think most of you have heard of this man. Before I got into metal, 5 or 4 years ago, I was a huge fan of him. Actually, this was my favourite artist at that time. A couple of nights ago, I felt like giving "Escapology" (a burnt copy, I'm afraid) another spin. And I really liked it. Tracks like "Love Somebody", "Monsoon" and "Me And My Monkey" (great song) still do it for me. "Road To Mandalay" is another favourite.

Ok, I wouldn't say I'm a fan of his music, but I do remember why I liked him so much as I used to do.

Also, this thread is inspired by the shoutbox, where Valentin B said he thought it was strange that I, massive fan of depressive music, liked his work. Well, actually I find a lot of sadness in Mr. Williams' music. Not the same misanthropic, lifehating depression that florishes in Depressive Black Metal and similar doomed genres, but he does express the loneliness a man on top of the world must feel. I also don't see him as arrogant, as lot of his statements sound sarcastic to me. A couple of quotes from his songs:

"I´ve sung some songs that were lame
I´ve slept with girls on the game." - Monsoon

"So write another ballad, mix it on a Wednesday
Sell it on a Thursday, Friday, out by Saturday
It´s a love song, a love song
Do another interview, sing a bunch of lies
Tell about celebrities that they all despise
And sing love songs, we sing love songs so sincere" - Come Undone

Anyway, I'll keep it at that. Let's hear what you have to say about him.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.07.2008 - 14:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i do like the guy, he has made great songs, some of which are in my personal faves list like Supreme, Angels, Feel. also the episode of Cribs was utterly hilarious at the end with that dog! lol
14.07.2008 - 14:22
Deadsoulman
Elite
Well, I don't like his music, but I do think his vocals are very good, very expressive, which is quite rare for a pop artist as most of them play on the same one or two emotions over and over again. But his voice has an edge that separates him from the rest. Oh, and I agree that he's sarcastic more than arrogant, you just gotta read or see one of his interviews to realize that.
21.07.2008 - 01:49
Remus
I do not really like this guy. I think as far as pop songs go, his producer writes him some good stuff but somehow his singing doesn't appeal to me. It sound kinda whiny sometimes, en i don't really dig his british accent in some of his songs.

An important thing that i haven't seen in the first post is that he was part of the mega-huge boyband Take That.

Yeah well i liked Take That a lot when i was a kid but mostly the 4 other members, don't know why Robbie didn't appeal to me. I was quite glad that when they re-united recently they didn't ask him to join as well.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
21.07.2008 - 02:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I don't know so much about his work, but some songs are indeed good.

My problem is that I really hate him as a person... Hi is a fucking diva and I hate people like that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.07.2008 - 07:44
tulkas
el parcero
i actually though of opening a thread about him but wasn't sure there would be fans or people who liked him.
i actually like his music a lot, an some of his lyrics are very exressive like Lucas Ruijs says, i like his songwriting a lot. some of my fav songs would be come undone, tripping, and me and my monkey, interesting song, hehe.

and about him being arrognt, i also think that it's sarcasm, he likes to fool around and just make fun of himself, and just do what he wants, express himself without caring about what they may say. the 'she's madonna' video imo shows that, haha. he dressed as a drag queen but anyway, imo he's a good artits and i do like his work
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
01.09.2008 - 12:46
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
surprised theres a robbie williams thread. my friend loves them. shes also addicted to heroin. yeah. shes that girl.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.09.2008 - 14:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
He was one of my favourites when I was very young and didn't listen to any Metal or Rock, except for what my mother put on. Today I don't care really, but think it's interesting to hear him talk about his songs and tell us how much he hates some of them.
----
01.09.2008 - 15:39
Elio
Red Nightmare
I used to like his music too. I had a copy of Escapology as birthday present and liked it really much. And yeas, Me And My Monkey is a great song, almost epic!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.11.2009 - 15:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
He; one of those mussicans and singer, what i trooly hate, there not so many non metal artists who can made me angry(ok hip hop dont counts there all), but pop, when I hear him, I realy getting mad, its like some kind ahypnosis where poeple hear some frace and they suddenly becaim lunatics or zombies, same for me his muisc I automaticly turn mad and evil, I wanna kill someone, I dont know why I hate him, but I have such feelings and hate since firts time I heard him in radio
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.11.2009 - 21:06
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Didn't know about this thread either. His songs are pretty good, althou the only songs I know well are ''Entertainment'' from the Actua Soccer 3 Soundtrack, and ''It's Only Us'' from the FIFA 2000 Soundtrack .

Don't know him, therefore dont know why is he hated by some here... what's with him?
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.11.2009 - 12:53
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Uirapuru on 15.11.2009 at 21:06

''It's Only Us'' from the FIFA 2000 Soundtrack .

Yeah that song was pretty cool, I still whistle its tune every now and then.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.11.2009 - 20:24
tulkas
el parcero
Hey, anyone already catch his new album? If so, how is it?
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top