Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
23.02.2007 - 23:49
Black Serpent
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 23.02.2007 at 23:35

Written by [user id=15652] on 23.02.2007 at 23:30

Written by Bad English on 23.02.2007 at 17:16

Written by [user id=15652] on 23.02.2007 at 16:54

I listen to Black Metal because I get an inner feeling of pure, divine hate and anger. The feeling of being majestetic and high-ranked.
It's a feeling that touches with my inner emotions^^

Hate and anger, well man its actualy reason why BM tired me and I get tired of it, if listen al time, IMO BM I like those where are songs about nature, past, heros its give some positive energy

Yeah, that too =) And the uniqe sound of the Symphonic parts!

Thats too IMO such parts make music more tastible and anjoyble, but only if ist neceserly and depends of band

Yeah, I'll recommend some Dimmu Borgir, cause they have a hell of a lot good feeling of atmospheric Black Metal
23.02.2007 - 23:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Black Serpenht man I dont wanna talk but there are much beter bands how Dimmu Borgir who criate good atmosfere try Biship og Hexen, Saxouir, Lunar Aurora, ...... rewad my all post about melo and shypho bm and you well see how Atlantis rising
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.03.2007 - 21:28
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Honestly, im in new in Black Metal . Really new. Ive always been into Thrash and Melodic Death before, and Industrial at the beginning. But i started liking Black.. like .. one month ago. Only. I didnt like it at all before, i couldnt understand how great it was . I think my ...ears got more "mature", and they can stand the heaviness of some bands, and i love it .
Ive always needed some time to get into new genres, but now im definitely into it! And super enthousiastic as you may noctice .

I first heard about Black with Dimmu Borgir, two years ago. Someone sent me the link for the Mourning Palace video, and then Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse video. Thus Mourning Palace was the first Black song i listened to. (Ill never forget that day when i first became aware of Shagrath's sexyness, but thats not the topic, nevermind ). I liked the song, but i didnt find it ... special at the time. I also knew Anorexia Nervosa a long time ago, but i didnt arouse anything special in me either.

Time passed by... and once, last month, i was trying to tidy my wmp library up, i accidently played the Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse track. I listened to it, trying to concentrate on the music, and i was like : "FUCK! THATS AMAZING!". I started looking for more songs, i finally got all their albums (mass downloading, i dont have the choice , no cd stores in Morocco). Then ive done the same with Anorexia, Immortal, Darkthrone and Gorgoroth.

Now im trying to get the most of these bands' and other ones' albums, (Catamenia, Chthonic, Carpathian Forest, Dark Funeral, Satyricon...etc) so as to get a little knowledge about all this. Im doing all this alone, like a big girl, but i need some recommendations. Just recommendations, because i can easily be influenced. And thats not good for me.
01.03.2007 - 21:45
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
@..HumanError..: Even with your terrible taste (you liked Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse! Arghh! heheeh!) I will recommend you some bands..

Satyricon (Listen to Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone), Drudkh (Autumn Aurora), Xasthur, Twilight (specially the song Beyond Light, it's perfect), Negura Bunget.. Check out this bands! They are all wonderful!
01.03.2007 - 21:52
..HumanError..
Account deleted
@Metal_Messias : Hey! i said dont try to influence me! . I loved Dimmu, not my fault .

I have The Shadowthrone, and lol, i was listening to it when i first posted in this topic . Ill try the other one.
Nervel had already told me about Xasthur, but i didnt have time to download everything . Ill try the others too. Thank you .
01.03.2007 - 22:03
Basso
Account deleted
Well by the looks of it you didnt mention Emperor. Start by listening to "In The Nightside Eclipse" and "Anthems to The Welkin At Dusk" from them. You can also check out their other albums,which are great, but not really black metal.

You could aslo check out the Nokturnal Mortum albums "Goat Horns" and "Lunar Poetry". Incredible releases.
01.03.2007 - 22:15
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
@..HumanError..: Sorry! But I really like to influence other people! hehehe! And also try to check out Wigrid and Nagelfar (caution, there is a band called Naglfar, but I don't recommend it, so don't miss the spelling.. hehehe!).
01.03.2007 - 22:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=5394] on 01.03.2007 at 22:03

Well by the looks of it you didnt mention Emperor. Start by listening to "In The Nightside Eclipse" and "Anthems to The Welkin At Dusk" from them. You can also check out their other albums,which are great, but not really black metal.

You could aslo check out the Nokturnal Mortum albums "Goat Horns" and "Lunar Poetry". Incredible releases.

Yeah seems all has same begining band's into BM world and longer thay are there more good bands thay discovere
----

apos;'
[image]
01.03.2007 - 22:27
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 01.03.2007 at 22:19

Yeah seems all has same begining band's into BM world and longer thay are there more good bands thay discovere

I agree... I started out with the big norweigan bands too. But my taste has moved quite far away from most of them.
Its not to strange that people start out with the Norweigan bands though They are the easiest to discover.
02.03.2007 - 00:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=5394] on 01.03.2007 at 22:27

Written by Bad English on 01.03.2007 at 22:19

I agree... I started out with the big norweigan bands too. But my taste has moved quite far away from most of them.
Its not to strange that people start out with the Norweigan bands though They are the easiest to discover.

Well I strat whit blackmetalradio but well in basicly I start whit Norvegian bands but IMO ist good band sto start but somehow pl stop moustly stop to those bands and dont wanna found new once
----

apos;'
[image]
02.03.2007 - 13:08
APOHAKC
The Bard
@Human-Error
Forget Xhatur, find: Simargal, Night Conquer's Day, The Stone, Ashen Light, Inferno, Kult, Root, Adultery, May Result, Korozy, Negura Bunget, Siniac, Slavogorje, Gorthaur's Wrath, Wolf's Hunger, Castrum...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
02.03.2007 - 20:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by APOHAKC on 02.03.2007 at 13:08

@Human-Error
Forget Xhatur, find: Simargal, Night Conquer's Day, The Stone, Ashen Light, Inferno, Kult, Root, Adultery, May Result, Korozy, Negura Bunget, Siniac, Slavogorje, Gorthaur's Wrath, Wolf's Hunger, Castrum...

Hahah actualy beter she can reda all black metal fans post becaus ethay can sugest her good bands and BTW Ashen Light thay sings in russian you understand it
----

apos;'
[image]
02.03.2007 - 22:23
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
@Aronax: Forget Xasthur??? No way!!! Incredible band!
02.03.2007 - 22:38
Basso
Account deleted
Even though I dont listen to Xasthur to often (I am rarly in the mood for it) I do agree Xasthur is a great band and every BM fan should atleast try them out and see if Xasthur are in their intresst.
Malefic's vocalwork on Xasthur is also nothing less than brilliant.
02.03.2007 - 22:50
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
@Basso: I agree.. Malefic has such a magnific vocal!
04.03.2007 - 18:40
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Ok Ok Ok .... Ive read all this, got some Xasthur coming soon... Even Nervel recommended me to get some.. I suppose its great then... Thank you . But hey, i need some time to try all this, let me get into each band little by little . This week its Immortal. Give me another week for Xasthur, and then we'll see .
04.03.2007 - 18:49
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by [user id=4589] on 01.03.2007 at 22:15

@..HumanError..: Sorry! But I really like to influence other people! hehehe! And also try to check out Wigrid and Nagelfar (caution, there is a band called Naglfar, but I don't recommend it, so don't miss the spelling.. hehehe!).

Ah, yes. Nagelfar. Their album Hunengraben Im Herfst (or whatever the fuck it is spelled) is really good. Hard to find, I have never seen it in a store.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.03.2007 - 18:51
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@..HumanError..

Well, I recommended Xasthur to you, not because I am such a big fan of them/him (I like him sometimes, though), but because a lot of people like him.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.03.2007 - 01:42
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Hehehe... ty anyways ... btw, now that you're gone... i can say whatever i want about you here! Great!

*prepares some very scandalous post*
05.03.2007 - 02:22
APOHAKC
The Bard
@Everybody I wasn't serious...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
05.03.2007 - 21:08
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
@Nervel (Ireland): Yes, yes.. It's very hard to find.. But here in Brasília is difficult to find anything related to Metal, if I had no internet, I would like only Iron Maiden, Metallica and Sepultura, because are the only bands that you find something in here... hehe!
06.03.2007 - 22:29
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
"Twilight (specially the song Beyond Light, it's perfect)"

Yes! That's one of the best songs on that album. (along with "Woe Is the Contagion" and "Larval Liaise")

Incase you haven't heard, the 2nd Twilight album should be recorded very soon. It's a shame though, Malefic is no longer part of Twilight...
07.03.2007 - 07:28
Danny Thomas
Written by [user id=14742] on 05.07.2006 at 13:30

Oh but i think its very much to that level
BM isnt such a wide term. (atleast if you follow the people who actually "made" BM)
Their actual music, their songs, doesnt have much to do with bm anymore
as far as their look and lyrics go, it has nothing to do with whether they're black metal or not

well my dear, i am very curious to hear what some of your favorite "black metal" bands are. also, do you think that immortal's later albums should be considered black metal, or did they lose that title after "at the heart of winter"?
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
07.03.2007 - 19:56
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
@Haunted Shores: Malefic is out of Twilight?? Who will take his place then?
07.03.2007 - 22:09
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
@Metal_Messias: I just looked on this site. It looks Isis frontman Aaron Turner will has joined the band...
16.03.2007 - 00:20
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
I like black metal because it's just unique to me.
16.03.2007 - 05:18
blackmagic567
Account deleted
when i listen to black metal i feel pure energy and anger. my first bm song was Pagan Winter by Darkthrone
18.03.2007 - 16:49
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I started listening to Black Metal Through a Friend of Mine. He never really told me it was BM and I didn't know untill I saw it in their profile, because they were the only BM band I had any real exposure to. Most Black Metal Fans Hate this band but they are still my favorite BM band and released some excellent albums, this Band is Dimmu Borgir
The First song I heard by them was "Progencies of the Great Apocalypse" and when I heard it I loved the Athmospheric Sound. But I moved on to Harsher BM eventually, Mainly Mayhem and 1349. I am still very limited on my BM knowledge but it's a Subgenre I enjoy.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
19.03.2007 - 00:42
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Written by spirit_inblack on 18.03.2007 at 03:14

If you are starting to get in to the more atmospheric side of black metal, then Drudkh is a must listen. They have released five albums in the past four years and all are masterpieces. You will especially enjoy them if you like Burzum.

Some other recommendations: Xasthur, Emperor, 1349, Leviathan, Marduk, Nargaroth, Judas Iscariot, Satanic Warmaster, Abyssic Hate

Hmm, well, that previous post of mine is a bit old now. I dont think black will be my favourite genre. But, we never know, it may change soon. But I really like Symphonic Black, and Black Death more than pure Black. I will get deeper into these two subgenres, if you have some bands to recommend...

Ive tried Xasthur, and to tell the truth, i didnt like it. I know Emperor of course, but i forgot to mention it in that last post . And yes i like it. Marduk is a band i know for a long time already, i had a friend who liked them a lot, and so do I. I still have to get more stuff by Leviathan and 1349 though, i dont think i have more than 3 songs from each. But I haven't tried the other bands Nargaroth, Judas Iscariot, Satanic Warmaster, Abyssic Hate) you named yet. And it would help me much if you told me which songs or albums i should listen to first, im always lost when it gets to choose one to try. A bad choice would mean a bad impression of the band's music, and that would be a pity . The first impression counts much.

Thank you .

Written by Arian Totalis on 18.03.2007 at 16:49

I started listening to Black Metal Through a Friend of Mine. He never really told me it was BM and I didn't know untill I saw it in their profile, because they were the only BM band I had any real exposure to. Most Black Metal Fans Hate this band but they are still my favorite BM band and released some excellent albums, this Band is Dimmu Borgir
The First song I heard by them was "Progencies of the Great Apocalypse" and when I heard it I loved the Athmospheric Sound. But I moved on to Harsher BM eventually, Mainly Mayhem and 1349. I am still very limited on my BM knowledge but it's a Subgenre I enjoy.

Haha, i had the same with Dimmu Borgir . Exactly the same.
19.03.2007 - 06:49
Neto_o
Account deleted
The first black metal song i listened was "Hybrid Stigmata" from Dimmu Borgir (cuz a friend of mine wanted me to listen Nicholas Barker's Drums), thought it was a cool song so I started to look for more black metal songs to listen. But i really started loving black metal when i listened to "Lost Wisdom" by Burzum, and now is my favorite band.