14. Scorpion Flower [cut][limited edition bonus]

Disc II [Live In Wacken Open Air DVD]
01. Finisterra
02. Memento Mori
03. Blood Tells
+ Finisterra [video]
+ Luna [video]
+ Finisterra [making of the video]

Moonspell has really been gaining popularity over the few years and luckily the good way.
Memorial was a fine album and explored new borders for Moonspell's musical direction and they even managed to win an MTV award with it!
Followed later with a release of their reworked demo which was an nice snack for the wait of their next album.

Night Eternal, the name already sounds pretty cliché but never judge a book by its cover and even clichés can be enjoyable when done right. Bitter disappointment got me later when I was finally listening to the album and the judgement based on the cover turned out to be correct, Night eternal is cliché. Unfortunately a sloppy one as well, the keyboards are terribly corny and the guitars sound uninspired and weak you can hear it painfully well during the opening track "At Tragic Heights". Fernando also tries to cover up the lack of originality by pulling off catchy grunts during many songs and it gets old very quickly.

The cheese factor also reaches new heights with "Scorpion Flower" this terribly over the top cliché cornball of a song doesn't do any justice to Anneke van Giersbergen's sweet voice.
The album finally gets a solid base at the end of "Dreamless" how obvious it is in the name? - it has this nice well built up dreamy atmosphere. "Spring of Rage" continues the solid base and it's a good song, but the best is the closing track "First Light" where everything turns out perfectly and invokes the typical dark Moonspell atmosphere which we all love.
Too bad it's just 1 song among 2 other good songs and the rest average to bad.

Overall Night Eternal is a bitter disappointment and an average sloppy album. Moonspell have to get back to the drawing table and reconsider their choices for the next album.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written by VPeter | 11.08.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Jeff
Rating:
Since the album "Memorial", I think that everybody considers that Moonspell is definitely back to the top of the best of the best of the Metal scene. This album is considered as one of the best releases of the combo and since that day everybody was waiting for a great new release. We had the chance to listen to last year the re-edition of old songs through "Under Satanae" but now the time to talk about the new original release of Moonspell is coming. "Night Eternal", the new Moonspell is in my hand and luckily, one more time we will not be disappointed!

Read more ››
published 02.06.2008 | Comments (38)

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 56   Visited by: 234 users
19.12.2008 - 15:04
Rating: 7
Kinetic
You like some details of albums you rated 6 but failed for some reason. That's understandable.

All she did was to attribute a lower score than 6 btw and say is in the same line of Memorial which is an album she loves. I could even understand if she pinpointed repetitive structure, lame lyrics or anything at all beside she not liking most of the songs. After reading you get no sense what are the flaws of the album except the subjectiveness of the reviewer.
I couldn't care less if she doesn't like a Moonspell album (i don't like 2 of them btw) but she can't possible ignore basis of comparison in a review when she was the first one including it. It's inconclusive reasoning and that's what i'm trying to make her clarify.
However, the childish attacks only makes me believe she lacks coherence and eloquence which are basic rules for any writer. As a consequence, poor judgement.

Edit: The rating system is not even an issue in her case considering she rates albums she loves from 9 to 10. Just wanted you to understand why I pressed on that button so many times.
19.12.2008 - 15:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Btw Arutha is a HE not a she...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.12.2008 - 18:14
VPeter
Written by Kinetic on 19.12.2008 at 15:04

You like some details of albums you rated 6 but failed for some reason. That's understandable.

All she did was to attribute a lower score than 6 btw and say is in the same line of Memorial which is an album she loves. I could even understand if she pinpointed repetitive structure, lame lyrics or anything at all beside she not liking most of the songs. After reading you get no sense what are the flaws of the album except the subjectiveness of the reviewer.
I couldn't care less if she doesn't like a Moonspell album (i don't like 2 of them btw) but she can't possible ignore basis of comparison in a review when she was the first one including it. It's inconclusive reasoning and that's what i'm trying to make her clarify.
However, the childish attacks only makes me believe she lacks coherence and eloquence which are basic rules for any writer. As a consequence, poor judgement.

Edit: The rating system is not even an issue in her case considering she rates albums she loves from 9 to 10. Just wanted you to understand why I pressed on that button so many times.

Nice that you say I am a female even though I'm male, that means you haven't seen my clear male symbol in my profile. Did I say love? Memorial was a fine album and was a staging line, however Night Eternal is a clear decline for me. I stated clearly what the down points where(cliché, crappy production, repetive grunts) Reviews are always the opinion of the reviewer, so it's always subjective. but of course you can't read and don't want to. I respond childish because I know what you are: a self-proclaimed justknight who tries to sound mature and objective despite being a very biased fanboy.
that's what you are, rambling the most stupid things out of your ass just to try and sound objective. I am trough with you and now take your so called objectivity and get lost.
19.12.2008 - 18:27
Kinetic
"Cliche" and "corny" are not valid interpretations of any music because is just too subjective (the first word probably not unless specified regarding what).
Repetitive grunts? First time I ever heard that considering that grunts don't really have much variation in a singer. You probably mean the lyrical structure of the whole album brings a repetition of all levels, the same formula. See the difference? A bit vague but still better than the senseless void you wrote.

Learn and be less over sensitive. Accusing everyone of being a "fanboy" is a kiddo attempt at hiding your weak points.

And btw, Heavenwood's latest album is alot better than Moonspell atm. A suggestion from the "fanboy".
19.12.2008 - 19:28
VPeter
Written by Kinetic on 19.12.2008 at 18:27

"Cliche" and "corny" are not valid interpretations of any music because is just too subjective (the first word probably not unless specified regarding what).
Repetitive grunts? First time I ever heard that considering that grunts don't really have much variation in a singer. You probably mean the lyrical structure of the whole album brings a repetition of all levels, the same formula. See the difference? A bit vague but still better than the senseless void you wrote.

Learn and be less over sensitive. Accusing everyone of being a "fanboy" is a kiddo attempt at hiding your weak points.

And btw, Heavenwood's latest album is alot better than Moonspell atm. A suggestion from the "fanboy".

Since when are you the judge of things valid in a review? repetitive as I wrote in the review, Lot's of songs fall in the same grunt pattern "mmmmmmmoooooonnnnn iiiiinnnnn mmmmeeerrcccuuuuurrrrrryyyy" for example. Hiding your weak points just like you do with your childish antics? Now I know you can't read but what of "Get lost" don't you understand?
21.12.2008 - 14:57
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Why do people insist on trying to change other people's opinions? He has his opinion, and he justified it quite clearly, what's the problem?

All these conflicts are unnecessary really. I actually liked the album and it doesn't bother me that he didn't like it.

It's as simple as aknowledging other people's opinions.

This isn't about me but I just wanted to say that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.12.2008 - 18:59
VPeter
Written by BloodTears on 21.12.2008 at 14:57

Why do people insist on trying to change other people's opinions? He has his opinion, and he justified it quite clearly, what's the problem?

All these conflicts are unnecessary really. I actually liked the album and it doesn't bother me that he didn't like it.

It's as simple as aknowledging other people's opinions.

This isn't about me but I just wanted to say that.

thanks for your understanding
21.12.2008 - 20:03
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
You're welcome.

Some people here think your the devil but i'm not one of them.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.04.2009 - 05:06
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I don't think this album is all that great, its okay but not on the calibre of their earlier work.

And i disagree with the reviewer, Scorpion Flower is my favourite track on the release.
I didn't actually realise it was Anneke until i read this review. Funnily enough The Gathering is one of my favourite bands.
27.04.2009 - 21:48
Alive.Corpse
Moonspell is a great band and this album is very nice too.
30.04.2009 - 16:50
Kurimus
Account deleted
5.8 is being gentle...
11.05.2009 - 13:35
Rating: 8
Slayer666
Written by VPeter on 24.09.2008 at 19:29

For the 835235252 time learn to read! I don't bash it for the sake of it being popular, I listen to The Gorillaz and Micheal Jackson for christ sake.

Dude, you are, like, so tottaly un-kvlt..... Shame on you, un-tr00 one!
OK, jokes aside. 5.8 is darn unfiar, no matter what you say and how well you explain your point. OK, it sure as hell isn't the most original release ever, it does fall under a certian cliche, but a grade 5.8 is for albums that are, not only unoriginal but are also a little below average in the genre they operate in. Even if you think "Night Eternal" is about as unique in sound as a.... Michael Jackson CD, it's still one pretty good violent Gothic piece of music, and shoud not be slandered with a 5.8. May be cliche, but not bad. As such, the MINIMAL grade is 7.0.
11.05.2009 - 17:36
VPeter
Written by Slayer666 on 11.05.2009 at 13:35

For the 835235252 time learn to read! I don't bash it for the sake of it being popular, I listen to The Gorillaz and Micheal Jackson for christ sake.

OK, jokes aside. 5.8 is darn unfiar, no matter what you say and how well you explain your point. OK, it sure as hell isn't the most original release ever, it does fall under a certian cliche, but a grade 5.8 is for albums that are, not only unoriginal but are also a little below average in the genre they operate in. Even if you think "Night Eternal" is about as unique in sound as a.... Michael Jackson CD, it's still one pretty good violent Gothic piece of music, and shoud not be slandered with a 5.8. May be cliche, but not bad. As such, the MINIMAL grade is 7.0.

Like I said it's not just a cliche, it's poorly preformed and with unbalanced production.
12.05.2009 - 11:14
Slayer666
Written by VPeter on 11.05.2009 at 17:36

Like I said it's not just a cliche, it's poorly preformed and with unbalanced production.

Yes, I know you said that, but what I don't know is, just where do you get that? Everything seems pretty top-notch and profesional to me. You say that Fernando repeats himself. like "NNIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTT EEEEETTTTTTEEEEEERRRRRRRNNNNNNNAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL" and that kind of stuff, but with that kind of vocal style, there is just no room for much diversion. He also sings damn good, which he proved with "SSSCCCORRRPPPPIIIIOONN FFLLLOOOWEEERRRR!". Those guitars you complain about, yeah, not as good as Memorial and Wolfheart, but are certanly worth more than 5.8. And, I don't understand what do you mean by "unbalanced production".
Besides, I've done more reviews than you, so I know better!!!!
13.05.2009 - 18:18
VPeter
Written by Slayer666 on 12.05.2009 at 11:14

Written by VPeter on 11.05.2009 at 17:36

Yes, I know you said that, but what I don't know is, just where do you get that? Everything seems pretty top-notch and profesional to me. You say that Fernando repeats himself. like "NNIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTT EEEEETTTTTTEEEEEERRRRRRRNNNNNNNAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL" and that kind of stuff, but with that kind of vocal style, there is just no room for much diversion. He also sings damn good, which he proved with "SSSCCCORRRPPPPIIIIOONN FFLLLOOOWEEERRRR!". Those guitars you complain about, yeah, not as good as Memorial and Wolfheart, but are certanly worth more than 5.8. And, I don't understand what do you mean by "unbalanced production".
Besides, I've done more reviews than you, so I know better!!!!

What ever man, I don't feel like going on a rage again.
15.05.2009 - 06:49
Morphis
This discussion seems to last forever lol.

Its funny cause, i recently assisted a similar discussion about this album, one friend saying that is something great that have really touched him and other saying is nothing special to brag about.

My conclusion is that this album is a love or hate it.
28.09.2009 - 09:32
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
As i listened to it, i found it highly overrated, so i would agree with this review
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.02.2010 - 07:04
Rating: 10
Vonpire
Ridiculous the rating...

" The best Gothic Metal album of 2008 " Says it all.

Long Live to my friends Moonspell

Fernando, és o orgulho de Portugal!
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
21.02.2010 - 17:36
VPeter
Written by Vonpire on 21.02.2010 at 07:04

Ridiculous the rating...

It says nothing, all it says is that the awards are dominated by fanboys such as yourself.
21.02.2010 - 22:03
Vonpire
Written by VPeter on 21.02.2010 at 17:36

Ridiculous the rating...

It says nothing, all it says is that the awards are dominated by fanboys such as yourself.

You even know me to say whatever i am??

Yup, you are the man, whatever get's out of your "brain" it's the absolute true...

As i said before , ridiculous rating for an amazing album.

Enough, said. Not going to feed stupid discussions about someone who clearly doesn't respect people opinions.

It appears that the fanboy here isn't me...
----
02.03.2010 - 02:54
VPeter
Written by Vonpire on 21.02.2010 at 22:03

Written by VPeter on 21.02.2010 at 17:36

Ridiculous the rating...

You even know me to say whatever i am??

Yup, you are the man, whatever get's out of your "brain" it's the absolute true...

As i said before , ridiculous rating for an amazing album.

Enough, said. Not going to feed stupid discussions about someone who clearly doesn't respect people opinions.

It appears that the fanboy here isn't me...

09.03.2010 - 16:31
Vonpire
Damn, that's ridiculous...
----
20.01.2011 - 16:29
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
All this years and albums, moonspell never went so much out of the limits and i think i like it. The fans are the same since the beginning and they like moonspell from the first allbum till the last. Its not a masterpiece mostly coz its not something new but for sure this album has more positives
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
09.04.2012 - 06:40
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
I also thought it was a bit sloppy but i definitely still enjoy this album. not great but still good.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
30.04.2012 - 10:56
Surion
For me this album is a grower, at first I didn't like it too much...but then I listened to it a few more times and now I love it. Not as great as Wolfheart, however deserves at least an 8.5 IMO
----
Ereßµ§ ø? ßløøð
28.04.2020 - 21:08
I have some great memories with the album. was almost 18 when I listened to it first. made be a bigger fan of Gothic Metal. First Light is still one of my favorite songs.

Loved the lyrics, guitars and vocals throughout. This review really seems a joke

Hits total: 8163 | This month: 11