Metal Storm logo
Recycling

28.08.2008 - 21:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 28.08.2008 at 16:18

Recycling. Yes or no?

I'm against it. The concept is nice, but it's not being executed properly. The cost of our government enforced recycling does not justify itself. It's cheaper and better for the environment to make new stuff than it is to ship your garbage off and have it sold back to you as something else (usually something shoddy and overpriced).

The alternative to recycling is vastly superior. Throwing everything in a big hole and burying it may not sound like a good idea, but don't knock something until you try it. One landfill could conceivably (just as an example) provide 50,000 homes with electricity for 30 years (HOLY FUCK!). How? It's called methane gas. It builds up in the landfills, but it doesn't just sit there waiting to explode. The gas is filtered out through pipes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and IS used produce electricity and replace the usage of fossil fuels (Meaning landfills actually reduce pollution!!!).

Go to the following site if you don't believe me: http://www.epa.gov/lmop/
And do some pokin' around of your own. Don't recycle just because everyone else does. Recycle because the government makes you do it for no good reason.

heh, i thought that recycling was the way to go, but if what you say is true, i'd definetely do that! the thing is there isn't almost any recycling goin' on here, at least paper, and i believe in recycling paper and metals, because there are only so many trees in the world, and as we all know metals NEVER decay so it would be better to make them something useful.

on the other hand though, when we start going low on materials to make plastics(every resource is limited) what then? i think what you meant to say is that RIGHT NOW recycling is counter-productive but i guess in the near future and with the right recycling factories and shit, we might reach a level when it would be either the same price or cheaper to recycle a certain object or to produce it from the usual materials.
29.08.2008 - 00:51
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I knew the EPA was no good, as was proven in the Simpsons Movie. I don't even recycle.
29.08.2008 - 05:30
Fhuesc
With all the respect you deserve, let me ask you this. are you stupid?. The fact that recycling it's costly isn't an excuse to not doing it. About the tree stuff, do you think that you sow a tree and the next day it's all grown up?. Other thing Methane it's a gas produced from organic decomposition, metal, plastic, glass (which are the mainly recycled materials) aren't organic so they can't produce methane, and let me tell you other thing about methane, using it as a combustible it's stupid, since its combustion pollutes.

It's sad that the countries that have the money to do recycling, don't do it cuz most people think like you: if it's not profitable it's a waste of time and effort.

And my final complaint, you always talked about doing research, and frankly i think you are the one who needs to research things. Deforestation it's a huge problem and the companies aren't doing anything about it, why? cuz is not profitable.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
29.08.2008 - 10:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 29.08.2008 at 01:57

The only thing you got wrong (but again don't just take my word for it, do your own research) is that trees are actually doing fine. Logging is a big business and the notion that we're running out of trees is to assume that logging companies aren't considering their future. For every tree they cut 2 more are planted. The forests they cut down are growing back more numerous and healthy than before. With this method there is no way we could ever run out.

And about recycling paper, there are sooooo many things that we use paper for and a lot of those things most of the world doesn't even use anymore. Newspaper and phonebooks specifically. Here's a quote from Cracked.com about phone books: "An incredible 615 million phone books were printed last year, most of which were used to replace missing legs on sofas or were ripped apart in Youtube videos.". Nobody uses fuckin' phone books! Nobody except the people recycling them. And guess what they turn them into. PLASTIC bedpan liners (http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/phonebooksbeco_snhl.htm). Plastic. They're taking something that almost nobody uses and turning it into something that isn't biodegradable. (EDIT: they ARE biodegradable. I'm an idiot and didn't even read the rest of the article, hahah)

How useless is something when the only reason it's produced is so it can be recycled at an unjustified cost? Fuck.

heh, like Primal Fear says, "Metal is Forever!"

well, while considering the logging business, what i say about the abusive tree cutting is true, at least locally(but it can't be just here, there's bound to be other countries with the same problems). hell, presumably i'll live and work in this country for another 10-20 years at least so i might as well know the issues: i would say that here, with the poor law enforcement, poverty in the countryside, for 10 trees that are cut, 2-3 are planted back(and only when the media exposes scandals or stuff). there are entire hills which are essentially "bald", only tree stumps remaining.

basically people have no money, and the only good sources of income imply cheating the government(stealing, cutting trees illegally, poaching, or going to work abroad), and might i say that it's a vicious circle. also the damage to the environment(apart from the greenhouse effect which goes without saying) is evident, landslides and floods(tree's roots tend to hold the ground together and absorb a whole shitload of water) are common lately in some areas, guess why..

that's why i support recycling paper.
29.08.2008 - 23:25
Fhuesc
Yes i know recycling it's expensive, but like i said it shoudn't be a excuse not to do so in countries that can, and specially those who are huge consumers like Japan or USA.

Yes it's true, glass it's made of sand, but not any sand, and frankly i don't know if this sand it's a limited resource, but what i can't tell you it's that making glass it's a very polluting process. Just like concrete.

By the time we return to the planted trees, they'll be dead or will be to young, the demand for wood in the world it's huge. And supposing that they grew fast enough, have you ever wondered what will happen to the fauna and flora that commonly lives on the woods in the meantime?
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
01.09.2008 - 06:11
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Canadians are recyclers...my household does it religiously...everyone on my street does...we still have huge landfills...I help with that because we threw a lot of shit into the local landfill a few months ago...I'm for recyling but it's not like you can put an old couch out for recyling, and that winds up in a landfill...
01.09.2008 - 06:32
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Recycling pisses me off lately. In every kitchenette at work, there are now three garbage receptacles - one for glass, one for compost, and one for regular garbage. I get so fucking confused that I don't know where to put what, so I just throw everything away in the regular garbage can lol.
01.09.2008 - 06:55
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 01.09.2008 at 06:32

three garbage receptacles - one for glass, one for compost, and one for regular garbage.

Oh man...if you were ever visiting a Canadian city like Toronto, you would get that on a major street when you go to throw something out...
01.09.2008 - 07:02
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Guest on 01.09.2008 at 06:11

Canadians are recyclers...my household does it religiously...everyone on my street does...we still have huge landfills...I help with that because we threw a lot of shit into the local landfill a few months ago...I'm for recyling but it's not like you can put an old couch out for recyling, and that winds up in a landfill...

Yes, here in Colmbia is being implemented as well. Where I live we have 2 places of disposal, one for regular, one for recycle stuff. But we've been doing it for years now. There is people here, "recyclers" poor people who pick teh recycling stuff and sell it to teh recycling plants and they actually live of this. So we don't only do ti for teh environment, but also because there is people who live of this.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!