Metal Storm logo
In Flames

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 09.09.2008 - 13:01
Old thread got a little too big for comfort; here is your new place to talk about all things In Flames.
11.08.2010 - 23:33
Ankh Amen
Account deleted
I prefer catchy melodies.

5. Man Made God
4. Square Nothing
3. Jester Script Transfigured
2. Moonshield
1. December Flower / Wayfaerer
13.08.2010 - 22:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by MeloDeathViking on 11.08.2010 at 19:36
I'm glad someone agrees with me about Come Clarity. I think if you like Come Clarity then you will like A Sense of Purpose. You should definitely give it a shot.

I think I will give it a go. xD

"Come Clarity" was definitely a step back in the right direction for In Flames IMO. It had a couple of fillers, and "Dead End" could really have done without the annoying female vocals, but overall, it was very good.
16.08.2010 - 15:43
MeloDeathViking
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.08.2010 at 22:43

Written by MeloDeathViking on 11.08.2010 at 19:36
I'm glad someone agrees with me about Come Clarity. I think if you like Come Clarity then you will like A Sense of Purpose. You should definitely give it a shot.

I think I will give it a go. xD

"Come Clarity" was definitely a step back in the right direction for In Flames IMO. It had a couple of fillers, and "Dead End" could really have done without the annoying female vocals, but overall, it was very good.

Yeah, definitely agree with the filler, but songs like Versus Terminus, Pacing Death's Trail and Crawling Through Knives are still some of my favorite In Flames songs. Plus, this album holds a spot in my heart as one of the very first albums to get me interested in metal.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
16.08.2010 - 20:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by MeloDeathViking on 16.08.2010 at 15:43
Yeah, definitely agree with the filler, but songs like Versus Terminus, Pacing Death's Trail and Crawling Through Knives are still some of my favorite In Flames songs. Plus, this album holds a spot in my heart as one of the very first albums to get me interested in metal.

What I like about it, is it's a definite throwback to "Clayman" in a lot of ways. The first time I heard "Take This Life" I was taken aback when it exploded out, I wasnt expecting that at all. lol Some tracks I love are "Reflect The Storm", which contains some wonderful melodies, and "Vacuum" which is just vicious. I do not expect the latest album to be as good as "Come Clarity" but we'll see. xD
16.08.2010 - 20:21
MeloDeathViking
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.08.2010 at 20:17

Written by MeloDeathViking on 16.08.2010 at 15:43

What I like about it, is it's a definite throwback to "Clayman" in a lot of ways. The first time I heard "Take This Life" I was taken aback when it exploded out, I wasnt expecting that at all. lol Some tracks I love are "Reflect The Storm", which contains some wonderful melodies, and "Vacuum" which is just vicious. I do not expect the latest album to be as good as "Come Clarity" but we'll see. xD

My two favorite tracks off the new one are "I'm the Highway" and "March to the Shore" and if you like Vaccuum, then I think you will love "March to the Shore".
----
17.08.2010 - 20:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by MeloDeathViking on 16.08.2010 at 20:21
My two favorite tracks off the new one are "I'm the Highway" and "March to the Shore" and if you like Vaccuum, then I think you will love "March to the Shore".

Okay, Ive just finished listening to "A Sense Of Purpose". My fave songs are "Sober And Irrelevant" and "Condemned". Which funnily enough are next to each other in the tracklisting. lol Other good songs are "The Mirror's Truth" which is a great opener, "Sleepless Again" and "I Am The Highway". Some songs I didn't like. "Alias" was especially awful, and "The Chosen Pessimist" dragged on for too long. Something that surprised me about the album was the amount of guitar solos on it. Not the harmony solos that they are well known for. But full bodied solos. lol

Its a decent album, if not great IMO.
17.08.2010 - 21:05
MeloDeathViking
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.08.2010 at 20:12

Written by MeloDeathViking on 16.08.2010 at 20:21

Okay, Ive just finished listening to "A Sense Of Purpose". My fave songs are "Sober And Irrelevant" and "Condemned". Which funnily enough are next to each other in the tracklisting. lol Other good songs are "The Mirror's Truth" which is a great opener, "Sleepless Again" and "I Am The Highway". Some songs I didn't like. "Alias" was especially awful, and "The Chosen Pessimist" dragged on for too long. Something that surprised me about the album was the amount of guitar solos on it. Not the harmony solos that they are well known for. But full bodied solos. lol

Its a decent album, if not great IMO.

Yeah, the solos were definitely something different. I'm glad you enjoyed the album! It took me a little bit to get into, but grew on me and is now one of my favorites from them. If you like it after the initial listen, I imagine you'll probably end up enjoying it as much as I do!
----
17.08.2010 - 22:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by MeloDeathViking on 17.08.2010 at 21:05
Yeah, the solos were definitely something different. I'm glad you enjoyed the album! It took me a little bit to get into, but grew on me and is now one of my favorites from them. If you like it after the initial listen, I imagine you'll probably end up enjoying it as much as I do!

I did quite enjoy it. lol Its definitely not as bad as a lot of people say. At least IMO. I doubt it'll ever be up there with "Whoracle" or "Clayman" for me, but I can definitely see it growing on me some more.
17.08.2010 - 22:39
MeloDeathViking
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.08.2010 at 22:29

I did quite enjoy it. lol Its definitely not as bad as a lot of people say. At least IMO. I doubt it'll ever be up there with "Whoracle" or "Clayman" for me, but I can definitely see it growing on me some more.

Clayman is one I have to go back and listen to again. Right now I have that rated an 8 and SoP rated a 9, but looking at the tracklist for Clayman, I feel like I have it rated too low, but then again, I haven't listened to it in like a year.
----
17.08.2010 - 23:06
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by MeloDeathViking on 17.08.2010 at 22:39

Clayman is one I have to go back and listen to again. Right now I have that rated an 8 and SoP rated a 9, but looking at the tracklist for Clayman, I feel like I have it rated too low, but then again, I haven't listened to it in like a year.

liking a sense of purpous more than clayman makes you quite unique
17.08.2010 - 23:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious

The riffs and the melodies on "Clayman" are just awesome. Everything just came together on that album. I find it hard to fault that album at all. Every song is at least good, and most are amazing. xD
17.08.2010 - 23:21
MeloDeathViking
Written by JÄY on 17.08.2010 at 23:06

liking a sense of purpous more than clayman makes you quite unique

Haha I know! I'm sure there are plenty more things as well. If only you metalstormers knew some of my other musical tastes, I'd be a pariah lol.
----
17.08.2010 - 23:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by MeloDeathViking on 17.08.2010 at 23:21
Haha I know! I'm sure there are plenty more things as well. If only you metalstormers knew some of my other musical tastes, I'd be a pariah lol.

Meh, dont worry about it. lol Variety is the spice of life, thats what I say! xD
17.08.2010 - 23:29
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.08.2010 at 23:24

Meh, dont worry about it. lol Variety is the spice of life, thats what I say! xD

except the spice of life being chili powder... youre correct
17.08.2010 - 23:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by JÄY on 17.08.2010 at 23:29
except the spice of life being chili power... youre correct

If you mean chilli POWDER then yes... I like a good chili hehee
17.08.2010 - 23:59
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.08.2010 at 23:45

Written by JÄY on 17.08.2010 at 23:29
except the spice of life being chili power... youre correct

If you mean chilli POWDER then yes... I like a good chili hehee

yes... that exactly what i meant...in fact im not sure where your confusion is coming from cause as you can see its spelled correctly and i never edited it to spell it right or anything
18.08.2010 - 00:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by JÄY on 17.08.2010 at 23:59
yes... that exactly what i meant...in fact im not sure where your confusion is coming from cause as you can see its spelled correctly and i never edited it to spell it right or anything

You spelled it chili power, not powder.
18.08.2010 - 00:11
MeloDeathViking
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.08.2010 at 23:24

Yeah, I know, but still, somethings are frowned upon on this site haha! And as far as all this chili powder talk is going, the spice of life is actually seasoning salt, and you people need to remember that if you expect to get anywhere.
----
18.08.2010 - 00:14
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.08.2010 at 00:01

Written by JÄY on 17.08.2010 at 23:59

You spelled it chili power, not powder.

i most certainly DIDNT spell it wrong... i never spell things wrong....especially when i can go back and change spelling mistakes (THAT I NEVER MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE MWAHAHAHA)
18.08.2010 - 04:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by MeloDeathViking on 18.08.2010 at 00:11
Yeah, I know, but still, somethings are frowned upon on this site haha! And as far as all this chili powder talk is going, the spice of life is actually seasoning salt, and you people need to remember that if you expect to get anywhere.

You dont need to tell me about that! I know full well the way some people on this site are. lol

Well yes, I use seasoning salt a lot in cooking...

Written by JÄY on 18.08.2010 at 00:14
i most certainly DIDNT spell it wrong... i never spell things wrong....especially when i can go back and change spelling mistakes (THAT I NEVER MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE MWAHAHAHA)

Haha! Ive just noticed you did that...
18.08.2010 - 12:25
vezzy
Stallmanite
Yeah, if only open-mindedness and variety meant praising mediocre music. What a deluded place we live in.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
18.08.2010 - 12:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 18.08.2010 at 12:25

Yeah, if only open-mindedness and variety meant praising mediocre music. What a deluded place we live in.

Oh, here we go...

Have you made trolling some kind of full-time profession or what? lol
18.08.2010 - 13:22
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.08.2010 at 12:50
Oh, here we go...

Have you made trolling some kind of full-time profession or what? lol

I'm still looking for a good salary.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
18.08.2010 - 15:58
Wishmaster
Account deleted
I like all their albums, even A Sense Of Purpose and Come Clarity, but my fave is Clayman. In my eyes, it's a masterpiece. I also like Whoracle.
21.08.2010 - 18:42
I think their older works are better (isn't that a shocker?), and I can recall a few years ago the uproarious disappointment that their newer albums were causing. But being the contrarian that I am, I always thought that Come Clarity was extremely good.

A Sense of Purpose was pretty lame, though.
21.08.2010 - 21:06
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I quite liked Come Clarity but it doesn't even compare to their old stuff, which is what I prefer.

They tried different stuff, fine. I'll listen to the oldies and be happy. I'm not mad at them in any way and obviously some people still enjoy their latest albums so.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
23.08.2010 - 17:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Sleeping Dragon on 21.08.2010 at 18:42

I think their older works are better (isn't that a shocker?), and I can recall a few years ago the uproarious disappointment that their newer albums were causing. But being the contrarian that I am, I always thought that Come Clarity was extremely good.

Yep, for me Come Clarity is the "odd one out" in their latest albums. Aside from "Dead End" its a pretty solid album, with flashes of their old brilliance. For me, it is definitely their best since Clayman.
25.08.2010 - 20:32
F0rang3l
To me the best In Flames album will always be Colony. It is one of their last albums before they became commercially successful and Anders does an amazing job as a vocal.
----
For there is a purpose and reason
Beyond all human apprehension
The shrieking silence in the blackness of space
29.08.2010 - 06:12
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
My favorite In Flames album is Whoracle. Jester Script Transfigured was the first song by In Flames that I listened to (many thanks to Wrekage, Georgia Tech's metal radio program) and it's still my favorite song of theirs. Whoracle has so many strong songs: Jotun, Food For The Gods, Gyroscope, Episode 666, Worlds Within The Margin... And the lyrics on that album are very clever and innovative. That being said, I've found many elements of their recent albums that I enjoy. While Come Clarity and A Sense Of Purpose may not be my favorite In Flames albums, they aren't totally bad. And let's face it, the sound In Flames had in the 90's and early 00's probably isn't going to make a return, and really, that's not a totally bad thing either. Cherish those albums for what they are. There are so many enjoyable albums being made by so many bands today that it's hard to keep up with them all, especially if you like bands in virtually all genres of metal, which I do.
02.09.2010 - 18:28
MeloDeathViking
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.08.2010 at 23:07

The riffs and the melodies on "Clayman" are just awesome. Everything just came together on that album. I find it hard to fault that album at all. Every song is at least good, and most are amazing. xD

So I FINALLY went back and listened to Clayman and honestly, I think 8 is too high of a rating for me, I honestly only really like a few of the songs, and the rest are just ok. It definitely wouldn't be in my top 3 of their albums, and honestly I'm not even sure it would be in my top 5, I was kinda disappointed haha.
----