Metal Storm logo
Band seeking advice

19.09.2008 - 04:09
MortalTheory
Account deleted
check out: http://www.myspace.com/ellypses

we're a band from Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA. We're going into the studio soon to record an album. just looking for advice for anything we could do better, don't be negative, it doesn't help anything, we're just looking for feedback, not insults.
19.09.2008 - 08:00
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I like your stuff, The Flood Remix was very tight... I like the black metal-esque shreiks, reminded me a little of Akercocke. My advice is to do what you guys feel sounds right, because what you have going now sounds promising.
20.09.2008 - 23:57
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I think that the bass needs to be mixed in a lot more and I can hardly depiher the vocals at all but I'm sure that will al be worked out when you finally get to recording everything professionally...so, the only thing is to watch out for the bass and vocals being higher in the mixure...other than that, I think you have a great sound and are upcoming for sure...I eagerly await to hear the album!
21.09.2008 - 08:30
MortalTheory
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.09.2008 at 23:57

I think that the bass needs to be mixed in a lot more and I can hardly depiher the vocals at all but I'm sure that will al be worked out when you finally get to recording everything professionally...so, the only thing is to watch out for the bass and vocals being higher in the mixure...other than that, I think you have a great sound and are upcoming for sure...I eagerly await to hear the album!

thanks, when we re-record, everything will be more together
28.09.2008 - 01:24
Sick Girl
I really like it. You guys are pretty good. When you start recording it won't sound so "rough" it will sound more smooth. Good luck!
02.10.2008 - 20:47
mauriciors
Account deleted
I work at a recording studio and the best advice I can give you is before you enter to record practice all your songs a lot with a metronome, it saves you time and of course money.
02.10.2008 - 21:47
Sunioj
I like your guys sound, the ideas, the raw production. You have it indeed... but one thing, I thought that the riff around 1:08 in 'The Origin' brought down the momentum that the song was building up. But that's part of the style I guess... (not a negative comment tbh ). With the way that the song started, I was expecting something huge. I think the song 'The Flood' uses the breakdown a little bit more effectively.

I think it would also be cool if the bass had some effects.. like maybe some overdrive, I think you guys are pretty tight, but when you are playing the palm mute+riffing, sometimes it seems like there is a void or a bit empty. I mean, its understandable cuz you don't have a second guitarist or anything but this is just an idea.
03.10.2008 - 03:59
MortalTheory
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 02.10.2008 at 21:47

I like your guys sound, the ideas, the raw production. You have it indeed... but one thing, I thought that the riff around 1:08 in 'The Origin' brought down the momentum that the song was building up. But that's part of the style I guess... (not a negative comment tbh ). With the way that the song started, I was expecting something huge. I think the song 'The Flood' uses the breakdown a little bit more effectively.

I think it would also be cool if the bass had some effects.. like maybe some overdrive, I think you guys are pretty tight, but when you are playing the palm mute+riffing, sometimes it seems like there is a void or a bit empty. I mean, its understandable cuz you don't have a second guitarist or anything but this is just an idea.

alright, lots of stuff, thank you.1: The part in "origin" is suppossed to be more boomy, wide open and huge, but the previous studio we went to did a HORRIBLE job. 2: The bass might use some overdrive, when we re-record, it'll all be 10 times better, much more clean sounding. 3: What do you mean with the mute riffs sound open/ is it just that the guitar isn't taking up a lot of space, because on the recording, there definately are 2 guitar tracks going. but overall thank you, i think most of your comments will be solved with the re-recording.
03.10.2008 - 14:48
Sunioj
Written by Guest on 03.10.2008 at 03:59

Written by Sunioj on 02.10.2008 at 21:47

alright, lots of stuff, thank you.1: The part in "origin" is suppossed to be more boomy, wide open and huge, but the previous studio we went to did a HORRIBLE job. 2: The bass might use some overdrive, when we re-record, it'll all be 10 times better, much more clean sounding. 3: What do you mean with the mute riffs sound open/ is it just that the guitar isn't taking up a lot of space, because on the recording, there definately are 2 guitar tracks going. but overall thank you, i think most of your comments will be solved with the re-recording.

Yeah, that's what I meant by a void. I have a shitty stereo so maybe I didn't catch the second guitar track. I mean, from when I stated that the bass should have some overdrive is due to the fact that I couldn't hear the second guitar so that's why I thought it might be a good idea. But wouldn't be a bad idea to have two guitar tracks w/bass overdrive, in many instances it adds to the grittiness of the music.

At least we are somewhat on the same page will be nice to hear a re-recording, but overall I like your sound.
03.10.2008 - 20:49
Branzig
The best advice I can give you is when you go into the studio, don't let the engineers try and tell you to much...

I remember my first recording experience...there was this studio tech who thought he knew everything in the world, he'd start messing with our amps, try to get our singer and myself to go in different keys...

Being young and our first time out, we thought he would know better than us. We basically considered him as a producer, which he wasn't at all. Our first demo was complete shit. It didn't sound anything like us, he glammed up our sound. Instead of sounding blackened death, he mixed our guitars to sound like Poison....ewwww lol. It was a horrible but overall learning experience.

If you have a good producer or sound guy there, then by all means, let him give you pointers and help you with your sound. Notice I said help, not change. From what I heard, you guys got a pretty good base for your sound already. Run with that, and let the mastering polish it up, or grudge it up, or whatever YOU guys want to do with it.

Good luck, I have a lot of recording experience (not as much as some on here I'm sure, but I've been playing in bands since I was 14 and recording since I was 17), so if you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to PM or ask me.
----
In Grind We Crust