Metal Storm logo
Favourite Nightwish album

Poll

Which is your favourite Nightwish album?

Oceanborn
Century Child
Wishmaster
Once
Angels Fall First
Dark Passion Play

Total votes: 52
20.10.2008 - 11:50
Yossarian
Hi.

Well this band has followed the thread started by so many great bands and has created a great mixture of opera, gothic and metal without sounding too "operish", too "gothic" or well....too "metal". Nevertheless, it is one of my personal favos and I will like to know your opinion about which album has made a better hit for your auditive extensions.
20.10.2008 - 11:59
Yossarian
My personal favourite is Ocean Born, though Once, Century Child and Dark Passion Play have to be mentioned here as well.

In spite that people usually prefer Angels Fall first or Wishmaster I do not like these albums so much as the other ones.

My oscar goes for Ocean Born since it contains 2 or 3 songs that besides being quite pretty, melodic.... and the like show the best voice technique that I have ever heard in the metal scene even covering sections of famous opera pieces
20.10.2008 - 14:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
No doubt Angels Fall Firts, its more gothic how prog, I dont hear those non sence keyborad parts there and Tarja was younger too, realy musical I like those more, others somehow I can sleep, songs are good, but there's anoying keyboard parts sometimed
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.10.2008 - 15:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Ocean Born hands down. I still don't buy the album but I really want to since I know that it's twice as good as those that I already have.

It's very consistent album, their best album IMO.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.10.2008 - 16:37
Janne
Hugin
Oceanborn for sure!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
20.10.2008 - 20:55
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Oceanborn is my favourite album for sure. Although my fav Nightwish songs are not from that album, the album as a whole is still my favourite.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
20.10.2008 - 23:25
Fhuesc
Wishmaster for me, although i think Oceanborn it's a better album (musically), Wishmaster has more feeling.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
03.11.2008 - 20:49
Mietiskelijä
Account deleted
I Love Once and Oceanborn, but I prefer Once because Marco sing more...
04.11.2008 - 05:27
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Wishmaster and Century Child hold special places for me because they're the first Nightwish albums I heard and they have such power and emotion on them...although the new album kicks soooo much ass...with songs like Bye Bye Beautiful, Whoever Brings The Night, Amaranth, Cadence Of Her Last Breath...amazing songs...
04.11.2008 - 15:24
Yossarian
Good. Ocean Born is taking the lead.
04.11.2008 - 19:54
-Soulreaper-
I also went with Oceanborn. The album is just really epic in my opinion and every song on that album stands out on its own. Just a great piece of work.
05.11.2008 - 22:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I like all of them, but voted for AFF, especially for the "extended re-released version" from 2008
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

06.11.2008 - 15:46
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ellrohir on 05.11.2008 at 22:31

I like all of them, but voted for AFF, especially for the "extended re-released version" from 2008

Was it re-released in 2008 again?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
06.11.2008 - 16:10
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I voted for Once, which will remain IMO the epitome of Nightwish's work for all eternity, since Annette Olzon may very well be the worst female metal singer ever. Once is the most Power Metal album of the band and some of the songs, like Ghost Love Score and Planet Hell, are just awesome and really really really superior to any song from Dark Passion Play, which is, well... *cough* shit *cough*
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
06.11.2008 - 21:26
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Janne on 06.11.2008 at 15:46

Written by Ellrohir on 05.11.2008 at 22:31

Was it re-released in 2008 again?

yes it was...with a couple of "bonus" tracks

see the tracklist here on pages
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.11.2008 - 22:53
PM
Hail Lusitânia
I voted Wishmaster, but i could have voted any album from the old fashioned Nightwish!

The recent albums have great stuff too, but it's a fact that it's got more shit in the middle too...

Hails Nightwish!
----
PM is a pink elephant, and can be found at the bamboo forests of Greenland...
08.11.2008 - 09:13
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
My favourite is Oceanborn, it doesnt really contain any filler. It has some of the best NW ballads too. Second would be AFF, just for the first 5 tracks, the rest is weak.
11.11.2008 - 11:07
DanielViking
Oceanborn... such a great masterpiece of heavy/melodic metal!
11.11.2008 - 23:34
Of the albums I own (and thus know als complete albums, wich helps formulating an opinion) I prefer Once, for me it has always stood a little above the rest, including the 'new ' one Dark Passion Play.
Can't really put my finger on why though.
----
It was only when I got funky, that the monkey seemed a junky.
01.02.2009 - 20:15
CaLu
Account deleted
Century Child because of it's great lyrics and as well it's melody.
01.02.2009 - 23:00
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
I voted Angels Fall First, because even if it has its shortcomings (arrrg Tuomas' voice ) it's the most sincere of them all.
In fact, I really don't like Once and Dark Passion Play.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
03.02.2009 - 14:53
Hellbound666
Account deleted
Centry Child is the best album ever Nightwish made
05.02.2009 - 06:03
IronBlackZepp
Oceanborn, although I raelly dont like any of them. My friend has em all, but I cant really get into em. I think he said Angels Fall First is his favorite. But I still enjoyed Oceanborn the most.
05.02.2009 - 16:53
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
3 months ago, I voted for Once and was very mean with DPP, so I would like to revote, cause, I changed my mind since then. Their best album is either Wishmaster or Oceanborn, and Once is their best one since Century Child, when they began to use full orchestra. But Once is incredible for the first four tracks and has moments after that, but it also has dull parts, like Creek Mary's Blood or The Siren. I also said Once was their most Power Metal album, which is not true. Their most Power work is Wishmaster, definitely. And though I still think Anette's voice is horrible, Dark Passion Play has some very good songs, for the music, at least. The Poet And The Pendulum is very complex and diversified, with smooth child-singing and heavy near-growling from Marco. And that's it, I just felt it wasn't right for me to maintain my old position on Nightwish.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
05.02.2009 - 17:03
ForeverDarkWoods
Angels Fall First is the best they've released. Oceanborn was good to, and Wishmaster is tolerable. Everything else is horrible. Especially Century Child and Drak Passion Play suck major donkey penis.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
24.02.2009 - 02:45
zeitwolfe
Account deleted
Century child, is the glorious welcome to marco hietala, it was his great oportunity to give us a male voice, in harmony with tarja turunen, this is the principal reason for i think what century child is the best album:banger2:
24.02.2009 - 18:52
Ernis
狼獾
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.02.2009 at 17:03

suck major donkey penis.

You should at least respect the work and effort of the people who made this album and who have done great work in the past as well....even if you don't like their new work, use you brains and conscience before WRITING shite like this....you may speak that with yer friends as a bad joke or something but when you write it, that leaves a damn bad mark of you when you leave such texts on a forum. Try not to use a forum as some toilet stall...

tack!

Now to the business....

I gave my vote for "Angels Fall First"....it does not contain my favourite songs of them, it does not have the mighty bombastic symphonic opera approach and it does not have the aggressive catchy songs they made later....but this album is important since it is the basis of their work and contains much of the spirit Tuomas, Emppu and Jukka (the three from the beginning) had in mind and wished to bring to life through their music. They still have that essence in them no matter how far they have come during the way...."Angels Fall First" was a fine debut and it is the foundation of their creation.
What makes it special is the atmosphere...it is not meant to be some album with songs to get to "pumped up" and "excited"....that's an album for when you wish to find peace and one will when listening to it....it is simply a beautiful release, that is why voted for it to point out these characteristics....
Of course....the fact that Tuomas doesn't sing any longer has proven to be a blessing....the two songs from the first album were more than enough....but it's forgivable....
25.02.2009 - 08:26
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Ernis on 24.02.2009 at 18:52

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.02.2009 at 17:03

suck major donkey penis.

You should at least respect the work and effort of the people who made this album and who have done great work in the past as well....even if you don't like their new work, use you brains and conscience before WRITING shite like this....you may speak that with yer friends as a bad joke or something but when you write it, that leaves a damn bad mark of you when you leave such texts on a forum. Try not to use a forum as some toilet stall...

tack!

Yeah, I could do that, or I could write what i actually mean. I genuinely don't think those two albums deserve anything better than that remark. I can elaborate into more detail if you wish, but keep in mind that such a post would be long winded and a bother to read.

Plain simply, since every aspect of the albums seems absolute crapshit to me, I don't think recording stuff like that warrants much respect whatsoever.

Besides, I'm just hating the albums themselves and not the people working on them. I'm sure the lot of them are decent folks, but they just failed with these (especially DPP). Nightwish released good stuff at one point in time (see Angels Fall First).

I also got nothing against any fans of these albums, it's just that I personally feel that they're really, really, really, REALLY bad. "Sucks major donkey penis" seemed a good blanket term for this at the time. It may not seem like this at times but I'm mostly serious in what I post.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
25.02.2009 - 23:29
Dominus
The Shooter
Dark Passion Play
27.02.2009 - 20:09
jd-inflames
Account deleted
I figured when I selected Once it would have won by a landslide, I can't believe that there are so many who prefer others over it. Once was an amazing CD.