Metal Storm logo
The Next "Iron Maiden"?

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 29.10.2008 - 04:50
Ok, the topic title may seem a little vague, so let me explain.

Iron Maiden is just an example name, the greatest example I could find. Iron Maiden is one of those few metal bands that acquired mainstream success/mass appeal while still retaining the respect from the more elitist of metalheads. No one gets called a "poser" for being an Iron Maiden fan, yet they are waaay bigger than almost every band everyone deems as "sellouts".

So the more descriptive question is this: Who will be the next metal band (lets say bands that have formed in the last 10-15 years), that acquires mass appeal globally, while at the same time still holds respect from more elitist people?

Not such an easy question to answer. Due to the fact that the music business has completely changed since Iron Maidens prime, it's doubtful any other band in metal will reach the level of Iron Maiden again, so lets say the next mainstream band that everyone would be proud to be waving the "metal flag". Some possible answers that went through my head: Children Of Bodom - No, sure they are possibly one of the biggest metal bands to come out in the past 15 years, but once again they don't get much respect from the more learned of metalheads. Opeth maybe?

The reason I made this a topic is because I have no idea! In 25-30 years, Whats that one metal band thats not going to be known for selling out (*cough* *cough* Metallica *cough*), the band where all the kids are going to be wearing shirts of and referring to as "classic"? Any ideas anyone?
20.11.2008 - 09:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=35853] on 20.11.2008 at 09:40

Written by Doc G. on 19.11.2008 at 06:43

Written by [user id=35853] on 18.11.2008 at 10:47

I think Dream Theater can't be "new iron maiden" even if they have some "radio hits" it ain't popular music. Other musicians likes DT but not mainstream people. btw DT rocks.

Old Nightwish could have been it, not anymore. Tuomas has lost the touch.

maybe older Sonata Arctica, but I think that the latest album is too complicated to mainstream.

I think it would be Slipknot, or another who be on MTV or something. But the music must be simple, like Maiden's have. (I'm not mocking either Maiden's or Slipknot)

Perhaps if you read the opening post you'd understand what this thread is actually about, and Slipknot does not belong and Dream Theater is a very good answer.

Well, that's how I understand it.
Dream theater will never be mainstream. It takes more than just one Forsaken.

Well of course there will never be another mainstream metal band that everyone is proud to be flying the metal flag so to speak, but I'm talking about general balance. Like Slipknot may be mainstream, but barely any actual metalheads listen to them. I noticed Slipknot fanbase is generally more into modern rock type stuff.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.11.2008 - 09:46
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 20.11.2008 at 09:43

Written by [user id=35853] on 20.11.2008 at 09:40

Written by Doc G. on 19.11.2008 at 06:43

Written by [user id=35853] on 18.11.2008 at 10:47

I think Dream Theater can't be "new iron maiden" even if they have some "radio hits" it ain't popular music. Other musicians likes DT but not mainstream people. btw DT rocks.

Old Nightwish could have been it, not anymore. Tuomas has lost the touch.

maybe older Sonata Arctica, but I think that the latest album is too complicated to mainstream.

I think it would be Slipknot, or another who be on MTV or something. But the music must be simple, like Maiden's have. (I'm not mocking either Maiden's or Slipknot)

Perhaps if you read the opening post you'd understand what this thread is actually about, and Slipknot does not belong and Dream Theater is a very good answer.

Well, that's how I understand it.
Dream theater will never be mainstream. It takes more than just one Forsaken.

Well of course there will never be another mainstream metal band that everyone is proud to be flying the metal flag so to speak, but I'm talking about general balance. Like Slipknot may be mainstream, but barely any actual metalheads listen to them. I noticed Slipknot fanbase is generally more into modern rock type stuff.

OK:thumbup:
21.11.2008 - 14:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I think both Opeth and Dream Theater are a bit to "complicated" to gain really wide spread popularity...Maiden gained popularity through easy but extremely powerful and "catchy" riffs, not through musically genious but a bit unapproachable compositions

about "frozen metal" - it is exactly what i had in mind - "new AC/DC", "new Motörhead", "new XY"...this means just copying something that already was there - yes, it may sound great, but it is not evolution...i would claim, there was no new metal subgenre "invented" at least since 2000...yes, there was some particular huge evolution in power, folk and black metal in 90ties, but hardly any really "big" band came out of those...of course among metalheads community there are a lot of strong names, but a few of them are so well known as Maiden or Metallica or other legends of 80ties...metal was a bit overridden by alternative rock genres and neo-punk waves (while i am not counting hip-hop/r´n´b and everlasting "pop")
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.11.2008 - 15:49
Inlé
If it's going to be anyone it'll be Opeth.

The ratio of respect/liking this band compared to critique is kinder to them than pretty much any other band right now.

Opeth are already "mainstream". Even outside the metal community almost everyone seems to have heard of them if not heard them.

And a shitload of people who don't usually listen to metal listen to them. This is a fact, and this sort of crossover is the only way for a band to become the "next iron maiden", to have fans within and without the metal community.

And I dislike Opeth personally, but I will admit that if any band is going to become the nextmassive well-respected by 99% of people band, it'll be them.
22.11.2008 - 18:46
Diluted
Account deleted
Well, in my opinion, i highly doubt that time will come again but if it were my perfect world =] i would probably say opeth because of how musicaly talented and just amazing they are. but then again, part of me is wishing when that day will never come because then there will be all the kids that were obsessed with the pussy cat dolls and pop/rap music saying how 'metal' they are, but at least the band would benifit from it, i just dont fancy teenagers that because of only one band they call themselves metalheads. Im not one of those people who are like 'poser! poser!' i dont care if they truly like that music, it just bugs me that some people only listen to music because their friends are and they want to be 'in' and whenever a band gets really huge, theres always people like that, and i think we should let just the metalheads stick to the metal =] if that made any sense
23.11.2008 - 15:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Inlé on 22.11.2008 at 15:49

Opeth are already "mainstream". Even outside the metal community almost everyone seems to have heard of them if not heard them.

according to my experience i would say you are a bit too optimistic about them...or i live in wrong country...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.11.2008 - 15:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 23.11.2008 at 15:23

Written by Inlé on 22.11.2008 at 15:49

according to my experience i would say you are a bit too optimistic about them...or i live in wrong country...

In east Europe aays be different music taste how west Europa, its be so long till there be Europa not eat n west
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.11.2008 - 15:42
I, braineater
I think if you're talking about a real crossover popularity, it probably won't happen. The mentioning of time and place already here is very relevant and I personally can't see a band who still appeals highly to a metal fan, but make mainstream radio airplay could be accepted. They would have to be so watered down, that the metal community would lose all respect for them - just look at Metallica. They definitely became as big as Maiden, but they get fuck all respect.

Mainstream is too obsessed with Hip Hop/R&B/Dance at the moment for anybody harder than QOTSA or Foo Fighters to get major exposure thus having an across the board appeal like Maiden had/have. It was different in the 80's. The guitar was king.

The only band that really comes to mind that's not that old is Mastodon. Blood Mountain was equally critised and praised by the metal community, but there is no denying their prog-inspired rock/metal won them more (mainstream rock) fans and with someone like Brendan O'brian producing next year's effort - not to mention the band admitting it's more rock influnced than BM, they can clearly become as big and get played I think. But the whole question was I guess, would metalheads still dig 'em?

Someone mentioned Nevermore? It's possible. Warrel is a charasmatic enough frontman to focus on too, but chances are that they'll fall into the kind of place Opeth is now.
----
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"
23.11.2008 - 16:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by I, braineater on 23.11.2008 at 15:42

It was different in the 80's. The guitar was king.

I don't know where you got that idea from. In the 80s mainstream keyboards and other elctronics were king.
80s mainstream was actually HELL when I grew up in the period. It was probably the lack of genuine music (99% of the music in the charts was as plastic as could be) that drove me further into the arms of metal at the time.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.11.2008 - 22:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 30.10.2008 at 12:19

I don't see any band with "Iron Maiden" potential to be honest. Bands with gutural voices certainly won't make it because it is not an "acceptable" musical choice outside the metal world.

From the start I thought that Opeth could be the best choice, I still do... But now that I think about what you wrote I agree. Iron Maiden is just fucking huge and people that don't even listen to metal can enjoy them. I just can't see that with Opeth or ANY other band.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.11.2008 - 05:29
I, braineater
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.11.2008 at 16:59

Written by I, braineater on 23.11.2008 at 15:42

It was different in the 80's. The guitar was king.

I don't know where you got that idea from. In the 80s mainstream keyboards and other elctronics were king.
80s mainstream was actually HELL when I grew up in the period. It was probably the lack of genuine music (99% of the music in the charts was as plastic as could be) that drove me further into the arms of metal at the time.

Fair enough and you're probably right. But for all the synth pop that dominated the charts in the 80's, surely the ratio of people who rejected it - such as yourself, was far greater than today - if you replaced synth with current R&B and other non-guitar based music, which is not as popular as it was 3-4 years ago, but still dominates the mainstream charts. Is the amount of rock you hear on the radio more or less now compared to the 80's?

Maybe it's not that different, but I was a teenager in '92 when Seattle hit, and it seemed then was the best chance for a 'new Maiden' to appear, not post-2000. I just get this feeling that in the 80's (or the early/mid 90's I suppose) the mainstream would still embrace something like Maiden a lot easier than today. Of course I'm too young to comment about that era, so I should just shut up!

I will say again, though, that almost even the least "heavy" sounding metal band would have a hard chance of crossing over - I definitely agree with the previous gutural vocals comment too - they would have to be clean like Nevermore or someone no question.
----
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"
24.11.2008 - 11:09
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.11.2008 at 22:06

I don't see any band with "Iron Maiden" potential to be honest. Bands with gutural voices certainly won't make it because it is not an "acceptable" musical choice outside the metal world.

From the start I thought that Opeth could be the best choice, I still do... But now that I think about what you wrote I agree. Iron Maiden is just fucking huge and people that don't even listen to metal can enjoy them. I just can't see that with Opeth or ANY other band.

A lot of people disagree with me, so I'm glad to have someone on my side
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.11.2008 - 12:11
arwestromen

But how about Volbeat..Ok they don't really sound like any normal metal band but but I have friends who normaly don't lissten to metal and they like them, so in my mind they got the potential to become something big...... IF they start to write longer songs and skip the punky stuff they've got
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
27.11.2008 - 20:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by arwestromen on 27.11.2008 at 12:11

But how about Volbeat..Ok they don't really sound like any normal metal band but but I have friends who normaly don't lissten to metal and they like them, so in my mind they got the potential to become something big...... IF they start to write longer songs and skip the punky stuff they've got

It lacks some metal IMO and like the first post says: A band that would try to take IM's place would possibly be one that has a long career.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.11.2008 - 10:27
Jewfasa
Account deleted
Ima go with Edguy they rocked in San Fransisco this year
28.11.2008 - 10:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=36130] on 28.11.2008 at 10:27

Whats EdGuy and concert to do whit this tread?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.11.2008 - 10:55
Jewfasa
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 28.11.2008 at 10:28

Written by [user id=36130] on 28.11.2008 at 10:27

Whats EdGuy and concert to do whit this tread?

the thread was about the next big band to make it. and i said edguy...and as far as the concert i felt like saying they put on a good show.
05.12.2008 - 13:50
InnerSelf
proofread free
I know that dragonforce are a rather new band and might sound very technical to some people but i realy like thier sound and i think they are going to be a hell of a band
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
05.12.2008 - 14:24
Bleak
Account deleted
OPETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTH!!!
05.12.2008 - 14:42
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by InnerSelf on 05.12.2008 at 13:50

I know that dragonforce are a rather new band and might sound very technical to some people but i realy like thier sound and i think they are going to be a hell of a band

Come on dude, be serious, we all know Dragonforce suck. If you like them, well, OK, but they are no way to bacome big and respected as Iron Maiden.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
05.12.2008 - 16:01
arwestromen
Written by Elio on 05.12.2008 at 14:42

Come on dude, be serious, we all know Dragonforce suck. If you like them, well, OK, but they are no way to bacome big and respected as Iron Maiden.

Big.... plausible... respected by metalheads.....???
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
05.12.2008 - 17:19
Warman
Erotic Stains
A really hard question. I'll go through some of my favourite bands.
Nightwish would be my final answer if Tarja was still them. Opeth is also a good canidate but as already mentioned they just don't get enough time on the radio, although they can be heard now and then on Sweden's Metal radio channels. And I fail to see Opeth apeal to people not listening to Metal. Deathstars? Naah, they're just not there yet in popularity and let's face it Warman, their image is just way to gay. In Flames? Okay, I shouldn't even bring them up. But wait a minute, talking about Gothenburg Metal... what if Arch Enemy or Dark Tranquillity one day made it to In Flames level of success. Wouldn't they be a great canidate? They both have "legendary" albums in their early catalouge and still releases albums which appeal to many "true" Metalheads.
Dream Theater is just a little to old to be mentioned IMO and I think they peaked long time ago. Amon Amarth then? Yeah sure, a band with high status in the world of Metal and keeps on growing, especially their younger fanbase. But would a non-Metalhead appreciate them?
Sonata Arctica? Hmm, maybe...
The same goes for Norther if they reach CoB:s status.

Okay, So I guess I have to go with... Aaaarrr... nonono... Dark Tranquillity! I have high hopes for their future.
----
06.12.2008 - 07:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Warman on 05.12.2008 at 17:19

Deathstars? Naah, they're just not there yet in popularity and let's face it Warman, their image is just way to gay.

Yeah, seriously, what kind of man wears make-up for fuck sakes?
----
- George Carlin
08.12.2008 - 16:23
arwestromen
I could see potential in COB...but these days i'm not that sure.....let's face it....no metal band can become the new maiden
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
08.12.2008 - 18:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 06.12.2008 at 07:40

Deathstars? Naah, they're just not there yet in popularity and let's face it Warman, their image is just way to gay.

I do 8]
08.12.2008 - 21:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 08.12.2008 at 18:46

I do 8]

It was a joke. You probably haven't been around here long enough to see some of my old profile pics.
----
- George Carlin
08.12.2008 - 22:27
Warman
Erotic Stains

Haha yeah, make-up surely has no place in Metal!
----
15.12.2008 - 19:01
InnerSelf
proofread free

I Was realy disappointed with thier latest release cuz it didnt sound original at all
but if they found a way to grow with thier music and write more mature materials they would be magnificent because thier two guitarists are brilliant
Anyway I agree that they will never grow to be as big as Iron Maiden
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.12.2008 - 19:16
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by InnerSelf on 15.12.2008 at 19:01

I Was realy disappointed with thier latest release cuz it didnt sound original at all
but if they found a way to grow with thier music and write more mature materials they would be magnificent because thier two guitarists are brilliant
Anyway I agree that they will never grow to be as big as Iron Maiden

Yeah, it would be definitively a step forward.
They made 4 albums that sound all the same
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
18.12.2008 - 22:21
Fat & Sassy!
Elite

I can't see Opeth really ever becoming anything close to what Iron Maiden is here in the states. Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath are the ONLY metal bands that I have ever seen any of my non-metal friends really get into. Opeth simply has no appeal to most people. Their songs are 5 hours long, and kind of seem to focus on ambiance more than anything sometimes. I can't say that there are any riffs that are infectiously catchy in Opeth's music. Plus, they are death metal. Death and prog metal is very niche genre to most people over here. Unless Opeth releases an album full of the SINGLE version of Burden... I can't see them getting big in the states...

Maiden is to metal what Zeppelin is to hard rock.