Metal Storm logo
Stupid Names For Genres

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 08:30
What genres out there do you find completely useless? I think the whole point of this thread back in the old MS was not coming out and saying what you hate about current genres. The point was to talk about sub-genre names that people just make up due to lyrical content, image, etc...
04.05.2007 - 15:28
Warman
Erotic Stains
I don't think industrial is a stupid term, I actually think it describes its music very good often.
----
07.05.2007 - 04:42
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Avantgarde is by far the worst descriptive Metal genre ive heard. For a start, avantgarde is a fancy word that simply means different, and it applies to all sorts of things. ''Different' music', just doesnt make sense. All music is different. In any case why isnt Therion avantgarde? See how it doesnt work. Well for me it doesnt anyway.
07.05.2007 - 09:33
A.J Thunder
Must be this one thing i just came across called "Suomi metal" , Suomi= Finland, " Finland metal", and i found an big group of people that where acctually putting bands like Sentenced wich for example began as an Death Metal band into this "Suomi Metal" genre (or then i totally misunderstood everything).

Like Finnish metal bands wouldnt be worthy the normal genre names. instead their thrown into something as horrible and ass sounding as "suomi metal". Fuck that.
07.05.2007 - 10:19
villain
doom metal - it should be renamed as christian metal
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
07.05.2007 - 12:10
A.J Thunder
Written by villain on 07.05.2007 at 10:19

why the hell should it be renamed as christian metal?
07.05.2007 - 13:06
APOHAKC
The Bard
Yeah, I don't see any reason why Doom should be renamed to Christian Metal. Because Christans play it? I wouldn't say so. And you have Christian bands in Black Metal, Death Metal.. There are too many genres today, and people are making stupid genres every day, and Christian Metal is definetely one of them. I never heard for genre called Satanic Metal?! They make genres because of every single thing they notice at some band: wow, they have short hairs, let's make genre called Short Hair Metal..
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
07.05.2007 - 13:10
A.J Thunder
Yes, from this day forward (at least) Old Mans Child has switched genre from black metal to Bald Head Metal!
Long live Bald Head metal!
07.05.2007 - 20:29
Kaamos
Account deleted
Written by Dark Cornatus on 07.05.2007 at 04:42

Avantgarde is by far the worst descriptive Metal genre ive heard. For a start, avantgarde is a fancy word that simply means different, and it applies to all sorts of things. ''Different' music', just doesnt make sense. All music is different. In any case why isnt Therion avantgarde? See how it doesnt work. Well for me it doesnt anyway.

I thought that when referring to art, avant-garde means experimental.
07.05.2007 - 21:21
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by APOHAKC on 07.05.2007 at 13:06

Yeah, I don't see any reason why Doom should be renamed to Christian Metal. Because Christans play it? I wouldn't say so. And you have Christian bands in Black Metal, Death Metal.. There are too many genres today, and people are making stupid genres every day, and Christian Metal is definetely one of them. I never heard for genre called Satanic Metal?! They make genres because of every single thing they notice at some band: wow, they have short hairs, let's make genre called Short Hair Metal..

You should read some of the past posts. We already talked about how Christian Metal is not a genre determined by style, but a tag line used because of the CCM.
----
(space for rent)
07.05.2007 - 21:38
APOHAKC
The Bard
And you should read my post more carefully, my point was not about Christian Metal
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
07.05.2007 - 22:28
Ernis
狼獾
I still think that one of the stupidest things was to start naming some bands Suomi metal....it sounds simply so bad....there were many good gothic and goth influenced bands in Finland....suddenly...someone had the brilliant idea to speak about the so-called split of gothic metal and the creation of Suomi metal....sorry....I still can't understand it....well....it may be that Finnish bands have their own particular sound....sorry....Suomi metal doesn't sound good.....
07.05.2007 - 22:42
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by APOHAKC on 07.05.2007 at 21:38

And you should read my post more carefully, my point was not about Christian Metal

I read it carefully. You said you thought calling a genre "Christian Metal" but there is no "Satanic Metal". So I went on to say why it is called Christian Metal. The term does apply, even though there is no "Satanic Metal" genre.
----
(space for rent)
11.05.2007 - 16:22
villain
Written by A.J Thunder on 07.05.2007 at 12:10

i'm so sad i wanna die metal = christian metal
go figure,....... no more comments
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
11.05.2007 - 23:14
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by villain on 11.05.2007 at 16:22

What? That makes no sense at all. Would you please expalin what you mean?
----
(space for rent)
12.05.2007 - 01:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dane Train on 11.05.2007 at 23:14

What? That makes no sense at all. Would you please expalin what you mean?

Seems he dosnt know nothing about doom metal
(well IMO non satanic metalare power/flower metal and prog) but doom well its one of moust phylosophical metal genres so many supganres there are and well probobly he are not into it thats proove his post
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.05.2007 - 02:31
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Bald Head Metal
12.05.2007 - 10:47
GT
Coffee!!
Staff

What the f... That's not an argument...makes no sense at all. I still don't get why you think doom metal (or any genre) should be called christian metal
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
12.05.2007 - 11:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by GT on 12.05.2007 at 10:47

What the f... That's not an argument...makes no sense at all. I still don't get why you think doom metal (or any genre) should be called christian metal

I didnt get what he try to say
cristain metal bands can be in doom, black, heavy, whatever in all metal genres IMO corecr be call cristain death/doom, cristian gothic, cristain power and so on
----

apos;'
[image]
12.05.2007 - 15:24
__Az__
There are some damn wierd genres, thats for sure. But it all depends on how you class these genres, in my opinion, a band should ONLY be classed on the music they create.... so, not lyrical content or even appearance....

ha ha, sorry no bald headed metal....
12.05.2007 - 19:38
Nyhus
Account deleted
Written by A.J Thunder on 07.05.2007 at 13:10

Yes, from this day forward (at least) Old Mans Child has switched genre from black metal to Bald Head Metal!
Long live Bald Head metal!

I hate you so much
12.05.2007 - 20:54
Shadowmaker
Account deleted
one band in LV plays something like "fecal/trash"(yeah - trash , not thrash) , and i have seen smth like "liquid metal"... i don't know what is that shit , but i have seen that on posters
12.05.2007 - 23:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=23734] on 12.05.2007 at 20:54

one band in LV plays something like "fecal/trash"(yeah - trash , not thrash) , and i have seen smth like "liquid metal"... i don't know what is that shit , but i have seen that on posters

whitch band it is
----

apos;'
[image]
13.05.2007 - 10:31
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Just saw a band here on MS yesterday that apperently plays 'math metal'...what is that?? The band is Candiria. I find that genre pretty dumb as well
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
13.05.2007 - 18:07
Lathronniel
Written by GT on 13.05.2007 at 10:31

Just saw a band here on MS yesterday that apperently plays 'math metal'...what is that?? The band is Candiria. I find that genre pretty dumb as well

Argh! it is dumb
----
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...
13.05.2007 - 22:33
Shadowmaker
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 12.05.2007 at 23:33

whitch band it is

i can't remember that either. that is something conected with Fimoz and all that "freeky" part of Latvian music
13.05.2007 - 23:41
W-Lash
Metal Master

Some noob bands sometimes name their playing style somehow different to highlight their "unique playing style". But usually they play standard metal subgenre (like heavy, power, black or whatever) and calling them in different way is the only way to show their crappy music.
Like always - can't play good music? Then make dumb genre for your music and at least some persons will listen to it.

By the way i have seen videos online with that dumb fecal band. I don't remember it's name but it had the song about dick and it was cheap shit actually.
14.05.2007 - 00:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by W-Lash on 13.05.2007 at 23:41

Some noob bands sometimes name their playing style somehow different to highlight their "unique playing style". But usually they play standard metal subgenre (like heavy, power, black or whatever) and calling them in different way is the only way to show their crappy music.
Like always - can't play good music? Then make dumb genre for your music and at least some persons will listen to it.

By the way i have seen videos online with that dumb fecal band. I don't remember it's name but it had the song about dick and it was cheap shit actually.

IMO fiew band scan call thay thay criete them own style and IMO fiew band's in them own style
Black - Windir, Wyrd, Immortal....
Heavy - Iron Maiden, Grave Digger...
Power - blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Black Abyss...
Doom - almosut all early death/doom bands who criate style
----

apos;'
[image]
14.05.2007 - 10:05
W-Lash
Metal Master
Kariasakis7 i'm not sure that i follow your idea but i think that you shouldn't add Windir to standard black metal. It's a bit different, lots of guitar solos, clean vocals, some folk and so on.
14.05.2007 - 10:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by W-Lash on 14.05.2007 at 10:05

Kariasakis7 i'm not sure that i follow your idea but i think that you shouldn't add Windir to standard black metal. It's a bit different, lots of guitar solos, clean vocals, some folk and so on.

But That I mean Windir has them own style there are not so much band swho play like them, maybe 2-5 not more
----

apos;'
[image]
14.05.2007 - 12:41
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Bad English on 14.05.2007 at 10:11

Written by W-Lash on 14.05.2007 at 10:05

But That I mean Windir has them own style there are not so much band swho play like them, maybe 2-5 not more

Oh sorry then, i misunderstood you. I agree that Windir is very unique. In fact i know only one band that play in same style - Sigtyr. There are some other bands but they all have only 1 demo with few songs and i don't count them.