Metal Storm logo
Best Growls

Original post

Posted by Dreamwar_86, 02.07.2006 - 10:38
so whats your favorite growl singer for me is Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth the reason is simply is the deepest,stronger and no one can compare to him i belive

Poll

who has the best growls in metal

Opeth
Other...
Death
Behemoth
Dark Tranquillity
Nile
Hypocrisy
Arch Enemy
In Flames

Total votes: 316
18.04.2009 - 04:07
wormdrink414
Elite
I picked Saunders merely because I know Nergal mixes his voice. Otherwise it is the Nergal from Thelema on that my ears love.
21.04.2009 - 02:19
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Other.
Alexander Krull form Atrocity is the best growler out there IMO. Not to mention his melodic voice is just stunning.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
21.04.2009 - 18:54
TheBigRossowski
Written by wormdrink414 on 18.04.2009 at 04:07

I picked Saunders merely because I know Nergal mixes his voice. Otherwise it is the Nergal from Thelema on that my ears love.

Walter, what the fuck are you talking about?! Haha, I never thought I'd live to see another Lebowskian on this website. Anyways, Sanders also has ole' Dude (Dallas) helping him out on occasion. I voted Opeth because Mike's voice makes me want to bite a Nihilists ear off.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
22.04.2009 - 01:55
ToMegaTherion
I'll back Mikeal Akerfeldt, he has an outstanding growl on him.
My Dying Bride also have very interesting growls, they also use growls in some very strange situations, ie ballads.
24.04.2009 - 03:56
GULCH OF ROT
THE HEATHEN FROM ZIMMERS HOLE ON THE SONG WHATS MY NAME... EVIL HE DOES A GREAT GROWLING DEATH METAL VOCALS
----
AND ON THE 7TH DAY THE GULCH BEGAN TO ROT

http://www.myspace.com/gulchofrot
06.05.2009 - 22:02
symbolic727
Even though Death is my favorie band Chuck never really growled opeth though Michaels voice is amazing and you can still understand every word.
08.05.2009 - 12:29
Jan Destiny
Other...
Amon Amarth!
----
"Fiction is the truth inside the lie" (Stephen King)
12.05.2009 - 23:09
chematss
Hypocrisy.
16.05.2009 - 21:29
Mikael Stanne from Dark Tranquillity and Johan Hegg from Amon Amarth. And I really do not understand what is so great about Akerfeldt's growls on the last few albums.
17.05.2009 - 00:50
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I like the guy from Dark Tranquillity the most
17.05.2009 - 02:06
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I voted for Death mainly for historical reasons. Ofcourse i love Chicks voice but there are some also excellent growlers that are missing. I'll mention bands as the man who started the poll did: Obituary, Morbid Angel, Suffocation. IMO these three are something special too.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
21.05.2009 - 02:21
TormentoR.
Other

One and only Mille Petrozza from KREATOR! the first 5 albums.. best vocals on earth

except from Mille i like growls like Suffocation, Deicide, Hollenthon, Nile, Behemoth, Morbid Angel... and the list is long
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
30.05.2009 - 08:46
JackSyn
No one holds a candle to mike akerfeldt best guttural vocalist/clean vocalist to ever descend upon metal the best song where he shows off his guttural skills has to be in bleak when he goes "Slight twist, shivering corpse...." so bloody demonic you know .. so ya :> mike all the way
30.05.2009 - 11:10
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by TormentoR. on 21.05.2009 at 02:21

Other

One and only Mille Petrozza from KREATOR! the first 5 albums.. best vocals on earth

except from Mille i like growls like Suffocation, Deicide, Hollenthon, Nile, Behemoth, Morbid Angel... and the list is long

yeah mille has to be my favorite too or at least in my top list. but i didn't mention him cause i don't know if his vocals can be called "growling"..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
30.05.2009 - 15:31
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
I think I voted for Opeth a while ago, but I think growls from Behemoth are just as good now after alot more listening, Nergal's voice is soo good, really strong and deep - which is generally what I love about male vocals.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
01.06.2009 - 04:22
TormentoR.
Written by Deadmeat on 30.05.2009 at 11:10

Other

yeah mille has to be my favorite too or at least in my top list. but i didn't mention him cause i don't know if his vocals can be called "growling"..

First 5 album - can be called "growling"
Especialy the first 2.

I know its weird.. but it IS growling
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
01.06.2009 - 04:24
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by TormentoR. on 01.06.2009 at 04:22

Written by Deadmeat on 30.05.2009 at 11:10

Other

First 5 album - can be called "growling"
Especialy the first 2.

I know its weird.. but it IS growling

yeah his vocals surely cannot be called clear. but imo not even growling (based on the classic growls). but if we see it from the side that he growls to do those vocals then we should cal it growling...
----
16.07.2009 - 23:37
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
The singer from Oceans of Sadness - his name is Tijs Vanneste - is my favorite right now. However, the crown, the man among boys, the apex of growling goes to Mikael Akerfeldt
----
rekt
19.07.2009 - 21:12
wormdrink414
Elite
What about Corpsegrinder? He made Cannibal Corpse about 20 times better. And they were already better than 90% of other brutal death metal bands.
19.07.2009 - 23:07
Derwood
Other - Johan Hegg of Amon Amarth

His growls are deep and clear, he actually enunciates so you can understand him and he sounds as good live as he does in the studio; there are few who can do that.

Besides, he's right in my range, so I can growl along to my heart's content.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
21.07.2009 - 18:24
Skøllgrim
Northern
Tomi Joutsen (newer Amorphis) in this case, other.
Out of the others I'd pick Åkerfeldt (Opeth)
03.08.2009 - 05:36
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by Derwood on 19.07.2009 at 23:07

Other - Johan Hegg of Amon Amarth

His growls are deep and clear, he actually enunciates so you can understand him and he sounds as good live as he does in the studio; there are few who can do that.

Besides, he's right in my range, so I can growl along to my heart's content.

Damn. I already put down Opeth.
31.07.2010 - 18:47
Kecirtep_666
Christian alvestam from scary symmetry and solution 45.
Best growl and excellent clean vocal.
02.08.2010 - 06:08
scrambles
I'm kind of surprised almost nobody's mentioned black metal growls here. All of my favorite metal growls are black metal growls. Attila Csihar's vocals on De Mysteriis Dom Satanas and Ordo Ad Chao w/Mayhem are hands down the best i've ever heard (he's used a lot of different styles for a lot of different bands/albums/songs). The guy sounds like a raving fucking lunatic in an insane asylum on those albums. Or maybe a deranged Elmer Fudd.

MORTEM ANIMALIUUUUUUM!!!
02.08.2010 - 11:11
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I voted for Opeth. Mikael growls are insane, and he knows where and how to put them in Opeth's music. There's also other great growlers like Hypocrisy and Amon Amarth's front men.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
17.10.2010 - 19:27
Sorgblad
Mikael Akerfeldt (aslo Stanne) and Steffen Kummerer are the best growl vocalist imo.
19.10.2010 - 12:59
MetalFist
Account deleted
Opeth is just the best at it IMO.
23.10.2010 - 15:28
Kennoth
Written by Kecirtep_666 on 31.07.2010 at 18:47

I would agree.

While I know certain someone who called his growls weak, that certain someone should try checking out death metal band Miseration which he also fronts.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
23.10.2010 - 15:34
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Kennoth on 23.10.2010 at 15:28

I would agree.

While I know certain someone who called his growls weak, that certain someone should try checking out death metal band Miseration which he also fronts.

I'll do so in that case.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
23.10.2010 - 15:46
Kennoth
Written by vezzy on 23.10.2010 at 15:34

Written by Kennoth on 23.10.2010 at 15:28

I would agree.

I'll do so in that case.

Allow me to recommend this one:

----
*insert something deep and profound*