04. Suicide Code
05. The Day I Die
06. Fragile Side
07. I Need A Hero [Bonnie Tyler cover]
08. Out Of Clouds
09. Scars Of Sorrow
10. Memories
11. Which Way [Japanese bonus]

There were many Graveworm fans that did not like the new direction that the band took on the album "(N)utopia". Well I was not one of those, I think that (N)utopia is one of the best albums Graveworm have ever done. This is also the reason why my expectations before the release of "Collateral Defect" were pretty high. Unfortunately they were too high as well.

Collateral Defect follows the same direction that band took on the previous album but it also gives the unpleasant feeling that band started to run out of ideas. The album starts with some sort of an "electronic" instrumental intro called "Reflections" which I find completely unnecessary. The next thing that follows is fast-paced song called "Bloodwork" and is beside the song "Suicide Code", the only real highlight on the album. The other songs are not that bad actually, but they still do not offer anything new or refreshing. Freshness is also the main thing that this release lacks of. Song structures are very predictable, although there are some parts that remind us of good old and not that old times when Graveworm were still full of ideas. The performance of the band is good, but still nothing really special. Stefano Fiori still stands out a bit from other members, but unfortunately the compositions of songs do not let him show all of his talent as he used to do in past. There is also a guest appearance from Maurizio Iacono of Kataklysm but to tell you the truth, if I had not read that in the booklet, I wouldn't have even noticed. As always there is a cover song, this time Bonnie Tyler's old hit from the 80's "I Need A Hero". It is nice cover song, but still nothing that would be taken really seriously.

If you did not like Graveworm's previous album (N)utopia, you certainly won't like this one either. But if you are more into modern forms of extreme metal, then you probably should check this one out; maybe you'll find something interesting here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written by Silent Creeper | 20.11.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Sulac
Rating:
Graveworm is a band I stumbled upon a while back, looking for new black metal. Engraved In Black and (N)Utopia were the two albums by them I first heard; Engraved is melodic black metal with gothic touches to it, while (N)Utopia saw melodic death metal influences begin to ooze into their music. Collateral Defect continues this, containing even more melodic death than black metal.

Read more ››
published 17.09.2011 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 75 users
20.11.2008 - 21:09
Rating: 9
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
It's not a very good release by Graveworm, IMO it's a bit weak and repetitive... I hope the next one will be way better...
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
19.05.2009 - 14:50
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Despite being very similar, I prefer this album a lot over (N)utopia. ''Fragile Side'' and ''Bloodwork'' are very good songs... this album is slightly above the average, good enough.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
19.09.2009 - 16:18
jimmuborgir
Account deleted
It seems they started going screemo for a few songs.. i dont like the cd but N)utopia was my fav. by them
20.09.2009 - 13:42
Rating: 7
InnerSelf
proofread free
When it was released two years ago I was blown away and I even rated it as 9 but now I started feeling that it is weak, not original and the start of the fail for Graveworm
want a proof ? check out their 2009 release
I think it is pure crap
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
20.09.2010 - 01:29
I_Die_Often
I thought it pretty good until I heard I Need A Hero... I lost some interest at that point, a bad choice of a cover song IMO
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
20.09.2010 - 03:19
RavenKing
I never cared for this band but the old stuff was at least listenable. However, they seem to get worse with every new album. I haven't checked the new album but "Collateral Defect" was absolutely awful.

I would add that I'm doing my best to avoid this prejudice but I can't help it: when I read that a band is from Italy, I expect nothing but crap. I can't think of a single good metal band from this country.
And the Italian Powermetal scene is the worst Powermetal scene you can find (tons of ultra-generic bands boring as hell). Italy sucks, when it comes to metal.

Ah yes, if you're to make a cover, put it at the end of the tracklist, for Chrit's sake, and not in the middle.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody

Hits total: 3782 | This month: 9