Metal Storm logo
Evergrey

Original post

Posted by Renessanss, 04.07.2006 - 11:31
There was no topic whatsoever about one of the most original bands in the scenes today, which, of course is Evergrey. Now for me it is so hard to believe that evergrey has no thread... Evergrey have released six totally unique and powerful albums up to date plus one live album and a DVD. All of Evergrey's albums seem to top the previous, although each one seems almost impossible to top.

Evergrey have managed to create a nice blend of styles but what all the songs have in common is a nice emotional and dark atmosphere combined with just the right amount of complexity, yet they are always catchy as hell and are guaranteed to haunt you for a long time.

Although I am still missing "Monday Morning Apocalypse" from my collection I can't wait 'till I get my hands on it... any comments on that album are more than welcome, although this is a thread for all discussions on evergrey and their music.
04.12.2007 - 17:40
Finicella
Account deleted
It hadn't got much of Progressive. For me, Progressive Metal of Evergrey means heavy guitars. And I didn't think that the guitars were heavy... they were... let's say "soft". (<- I just don't find a better word..)

Of course this is just MY opinion. Perhaps I'm wrong about it but I feel like that.
05.12.2007 - 01:03
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 04.12.2007 at 17:40

It hadn't got much of Progressive. For me, Progressive Metal of Evergrey means heavy guitars. And I didn't think that the guitars were heavy... they were... let's say "soft". (<- I just don't find a better word..)

Of course this is just MY opinion. Perhaps I'm wrong about it but I feel like that.

So what does that have to do with them being or not being Progressive? I am not sure you understand what Progressive Metal actually means.
----
(space for rent)
05.12.2007 - 12:48
Philaenas
Account deleted
Damn, I should finally start listening to other albums than Recreation Day. But it's just so damn good!!!
06.12.2007 - 18:49
Finicella
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 05.12.2007 at 01:03
So what does that have to do with them being or not being Progressive? I am not sure you understand what Progressive Metal actually means.

Currently I'm doubting my own thoughts. Did I really say that it wasn't Progressive at all? I think (I meant) that the albums isn't as progressive as the other albums.
For me, personally, Progressive means heavy guitars. But I'd be glad to hear what's the real meaning of Progressive Metal. (I'm always willing to overthink my opinion of something.)
06.12.2007 - 19:12
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 06.12.2007 at 18:49

Currently I'm doubting my own thoughts. Did I really say that it wasn't Progressive at all? I think (I meant) that the albums isn't as progressive as the other albums.
For me, personally, Progressive means heavy guitars. But I'd be glad to hear what's the real meaning of Progressive Metal. (I'm always willing to overthink my opinion of something.)

Progressive Metal is not so much a sound as it a style of playing. The roots steam from a combination of Progressive Rock and Heavy Metal from the 1970's. Bands like Fates Warning and Queensryche began infusing the odd time signatures, unorthodox key changes, advanced song composition and other elements of bands like Rush, Yes, ELP, King Crimson and Camel with the bone crushing sounds and intensity of bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica and Judas Priest.

Progressive Metal means that it is a Metal band trying things that are brand new, as well as having that virtuosoes playing style that has made bands like Dream Theater so famous. So in fact, breaking away from Heavy guitar sounds, when it is what you normally do, is a progressive act. Now what makes Evergrey a Progressive Metal band is a combination of their musical arrangements, various playing styles, lyrical themes, concept album structures and the envelope pushing aspect to their overall sound.
----
(space for rent)
07.12.2007 - 22:16
Finicella
Account deleted
Ah, really, thank you!
Now I see the situation from a different few. I always thought that Progressive was about the guitars because every Progressive band I know has great guitar sound which is mostly heavy.
But okay, then the new Evergrey album is one of the most progressive ones.
Sorry for bothering. Next time I'll hopefully look up such things before saying something stupid! ^^
10.12.2007 - 20:02
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Only few months away from the new album...Can't Wait.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
19.12.2007 - 18:17
Warman
Erotic Stains
I hate that they cancelled the tour here since they wouldn't be finished with the new album until then. Well, play some old songs then? And Monday Morning Apocalypse isn't old at all, although boring enough to keep me from longing for a new album.
----
21.12.2007 - 03:54
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
I like MMA quite, I mean, it's my least favourite EY album, but still I consider it a very good stuff, it's just I like others more. Btw I dont like it either, but now maybe I will have a chance too see them again, in Serbia or some other country, otherwise I would be able to goo to Hungary to see them, and then go again for that Pagan Fest tour ... and on the other hand, its quite fair towards fans, not wanting to rob them on this tour, then soon doing another one to promote new album. And many people would come twice soo... And the sound from those video updates to give us, its quite promising.
P.S. 100th post in my fav band's topic lol
----
26.12.2007 - 16:15
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Anyone here heard about "Death Destruction", a Death metal band formed by Henrik and Jonas, with exBassist Fredrik (now in HammerFall)
----
26.12.2007 - 17:12
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 26.12.2007 at 16:15

Anyone here heard about "Death Destruction", a Death metal band formed by Henrik and Jonas, with exBassist Fredrik (now in HammerFall)

Not yet, I have been wanting to hear it. Is it any good?
----
(space for rent)
27.12.2007 - 00:50
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Don't know, havent heard it either, hoped someone did so we can get some impressions at least... I cant find it on the net, they only have some promo or demo, nothig released yet... But Im very intrested to hear it. The singer is from "Nightrage" (that Gotheborg Melo Death bend where Englund did guest vocals).
----
03.01.2008 - 18:42
Hellsing
Evergrey is great! the singer, the guitars, the drums, the bass guitar, everything!!! I like it much!
----
±M@u®î©îر
www.myspace.com/voidcr
www.myspace.com/strato_mauricio
04.02.2008 - 00:24
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Some of their songs seriously make me cry. Beautiful!
02.03.2008 - 00:05
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
So the new album title is revealed... Torn.
It's funny that I'm still "torn" on whether I should buy Monday Morning Apocalypse, I have every other album but I just haven't got around to picking this one up. Is it worth the purchase?
02.03.2008 - 11:12
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Introspekrieg on 02.03.2008 at 00:05

It's funny that I'm still "torn" on whether I should buy Monday Morning Apocalypse, I have every other album but I just haven't got around to picking this one up. Is it worth the purchase?

It's the only album from Evergrey I've heard and I like it. It's dark and full of emotions so I'll say it's worth it
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
04.03.2008 - 01:08
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Introspekrieg on 02.03.2008 at 00:05

Well, the album itself I didn't like it so much as the previews ones, besides if you like Evergrey for the "concept" albums and the beauty around it, then I'd say you shouldn't.. but then it's a matter of taste, some people like it some don't, I personally got disappointed.. and I'm a big fan..
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
12.03.2008 - 08:57
silvia
Account deleted
I like the new trailer (now on their site)
Still recognizable sound but I have they go back more to the basic. Not that bombastic as TIC.
Curious now, want to hear more haha.
31.03.2008 - 16:44
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Evergrey "Torn" trailer - April edition was posted online and can be found at this location.

(March edition is available here).
31.03.2008 - 18:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I watched it and I liked it. I think it sounds great. I have high hopes for the new Evergrey album, I don't think they'll make the same mistakes as in monday morning apocalypse. I'm really looking forwards to this. I was impressed with some of the lyrics.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.04.2008 - 10:00
Philaenas
Account deleted
I was very impressed after hearing it I must say. The whole atmosphere is nice and dark with an album title of only one syllable!
06.05.2008 - 17:22
Harlequin
These new trailers brought my belief in this terrific band back. Promising.
----
00:40 - Doomface
Mikael Akerfeldt doesn't age like humans do.
03.09.2008 - 21:35
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
So I just finished listening to the new album. And...well, I was not too impressed with it at first. Torn is less progressive than The Inner Circle or Recreation Day. It is more inline with Monday Morning Apocalypse with the heaviness of the early years. As a straight up Metal album, this is really solid. I'll be back later with a more in depth review after I listen to it several times.
----
(space for rent)
04.09.2008 - 02:15
joaquin
omg did they realese a new album after monday morning apocalyse????? i had no idea i have to check it!!!!
----
courage to chage the things and wisdom to know the difference

real gamers never die, they just respawn
05.09.2008 - 23:44
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Well, as far as I know, it still wasn't released, at least not here.
----

My Instagram
06.09.2008 - 02:04
MetalSpider
I cant say that Ive really listened to anything by Evergrey, except for The Inner Circle (which I enjoyed).

However, I have been listening to the new album non-stop. I really love it.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
06.09.2008 - 04:16
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by BloodTears on 05.09.2008 at 23:44

Haven't you heard the songs on Myspace? All Torn songs are available for streaming on their Myspace.
The album will be released September 22 on europe.

I've heard the songs, and I liked it. Some are not so good, but in general I'm happy with the album. It's the heaviest they've done so far. Of course it's no Solitude.. or In Search of Truth. But it's still good.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
06.09.2008 - 11:48
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Dark Blood on 06.09.2008 at 04:16

Written by BloodTears on 05.09.2008 at 23:44

Haven't you heard the songs on Myspace? All Torn songs are available for streaming on their Myspace.
The album will be released September 22 on europe.

I've heard the songs, and I liked it. Some are not so good, but in general I'm happy with the album. It's the heaviest they've done so far. Of course it's no Solitude.. or In Search of Truth. But it's still good.

I only heard the song Torn, I usually just wait for the album, don't want to know everything beforehand, I like to be surprised. The song torn was quite similar to what they've done before, as long as its good, I won't complain. But I sure expect better than MMA.
----

My Instagram
17.09.2008 - 20:26
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Okay, I've had the promo copy I received of "Torn" all week now. I have mixed feelings about the album, and I think it's because it's an album that's solid from beginning to end, but it just doesn't appeal to me musically. It's so easy to get into, and I think that's what I loved about older Evergrey is that it took a few listens to appreciate the intellectual qualities of the music.

But it's not really a negative criticism of "Torn," because if I were a different sort of metal fan, I think this album would be a huge hit for me. It's progressive metal without any of the challenges and over the top musicianship that can often turn off the listener who appreciates a more accessible sound. Lots of good lyrics, the solos are all in the exact place a mainstream production puts them, and there is still a huge amount of somber undertones.

Still, it's not dark enough for my taste, and is just too slick for me to get into on a personal level. It's a great album to me - if I were someone else
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
28.09.2008 - 04:43
thesabbathfan
whoa man, I just saw there ad up at the top of the page, youtubed some stuff and its awesome!
----