Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

859 users:
Band: Kreator
Album: Hordes Of Chaos
Style: Teutonic thrash metal
Release date: January 2009

Disc I
01. Hordes Of Chaos (A Necrologue For The Elite)
02. Warcurse
03. Escalation
04. Amok Run
05. Destroy What Destroys You
06. Radical Resistance
07. Absolute Misanthropy
08. To The Afterborn
09. Corpses Of Liberty
10. Demon Prince
+ Hordes Of Chaos [Video][Ultra Riot edition]
+ Destroy What Destroys You [Video][Ultra Riot edition]

Disc II [limited edition bonus DVD]
+ The making of 'Hordes of Chaos'
+ Awakening Of The Gods [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2006]
+ Coma Of Souls [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2006]
+ Hordes Of Chaos [video]

Disc II [Ultra Riot edition bonus CD]
01. Hordes of Chaos [demo]
02. Radical Resistance [demo]
03. To the Afterborn [demo]
04. World Without Religion [demo version of 'Escalation' - different arrangement]
05. Amok Run [demo]
06. Alle gegen Alle [demo][Slime cover featuring Nagel and Thees Ulmann]
07. You are the Government [demo][Bad Religion cover]
+ Poster
+ Ultra - Photobook
+ Sticker
+ Postcard
+ 5 ? discount code t-shirt

The more I listen to Kreator, the more I like this band and despite what some people can say, I really believe that they're among the best Metal bands (probably better than some famous US Thrash bands?). Their last release "Enemy Of God" was for me one of the best, if not the best, releases of the year 2005 and even if the band didn't do any break during four years, with a legion of live performances, re-edition, DVD etc I think that a lot of people were awaiting this new release. After all, nothing is better than a good old Thrashy release of the German masters especially if it's good and if you cannot be disappointed?. "Hordes Of Chaos" is just an excellent album and proves one more time that Kreator is a real hit machine!

"Hordes Of Chaos", the new Kreator is definitely darker than "Enemy Of God" and probably less easy of access. On a side even if the release features pure hits like "To The Afterborn" or "Hordes Of Chaos (A Necrologue For The Elite)", the whole album is dark and didn't give me the same feelings than "Enemy Of God". It's not really easy to explain it but if the previous release gave violent and revolutionary feelings, this one is more naughty and angry. When you'll listen to "Hordes Of Chaos", you'll become "evil", we don't laugh with this release (especially when you read the good lyrics). But "Hordes Of Chaos" is melodic nonetheless and for sure, this CD follow the road of the two last previous albums. If you don't like the new Kreator, I don't think that you'll like this release especially if you don't like melodic Thrash, but don't worry too, the amazing devastating riffs are still there and the guitars soli are better than ever. No really, the melodies of "Hordes Of Chaos" are great and all the songs of the album are pure blasts!

The production of the new release is really good one more time but probably a lot more direct and loud than on "Enemy Of God". As I know the band wanted something dynamic as possible and they recorded the album in live conditions which gives something a lot more powerful and direct of course. Though it doesn't mean that the sound is bad, at the opposite this is clean as hell but with a naughty angry side which is really pleasant and gives a lot of energy to the record. Despite the fact that the album is short (38 mins) and only features nine songs ("Corpses Of Liberty" is more like an introduction than a real song?), "Hordes Of Chaos" is a great release with fantastic performances by the musicians.

Maybe that "Enemy Of God" was a bit easier of access and featured more "hits" (like "Enemy Of God" or "Impossible Brutality" for example) but "Hordes Of Chaos" remains a great album of violent and aggressive German Thrash. If Kreator can still releases such kind of great albums after so many years, I don't really see what or who will stop them one day? If you like Kreator, "Hordes Of Chaos" is a must and the living proof that Mille and his mates, in addition to be great guys, are also fantastic musicians and compositors. It's good to begin the new year with this release, 2009 should be the year of Kreator one more time!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 13.01.2009

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 69   Visited by: 570 users
19.01.2009 - 03:04
Rating: 8
METAL!
This album is really great. I enjoyed it thoroughly. My website also has a review of the album up on it if anybody would be interested in getting a 2nd opinion on it. www.metalzine.synthasite.com

If advertising one's own site here is unallowed, my apologies and it will be fair to delete this post.
24.01.2009 - 15:18
DayFly
What is so thrash about this? Sounds like Gothenburg, at least to me.
24.01.2009 - 16:02
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by DayFly on 24.01.2009 at 15:18

?? the vocals are thrashy and not "death style". the riffs also are melodic but also aggressive, the lyrics are "straight to your face" as thrash lyrics should be. i don't know what you mean.. could you explain why it looks like that what you think?
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
24.01.2009 - 17:39
DayFly
Written by Deadmeat on 24.01.2009 at 16:02

?? the vocals are thrashy and not "death style". the riffs also are melodic but also aggressive, the lyrics are "straight to your face" as thrash lyrics should be. i don't know what you mean.. could you explain why it looks like that what you think?

Well honestly, that is a pretty random description that might fit any modern metal album. I honestly don't know much about melodic death metal, so that comparison may likely be faulty, but I do know thrash and this ain't thrash. I don't mind melody in my thrash, but this is melody in something different. I guess I am just hopelessly caught in the 80s.
24.01.2009 - 17:48
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by DayFly on 24.01.2009 at 17:39

Written by Deadmeat on 24.01.2009 at 16:02

Well honestly, that is a pretty random description that might fit any modern metal album. I honestly don't know much about melodic death metal, so that comparison may likely be faulty, but I do know thrash and this ain't thrash. I don't mind melody in my thrash, but this is melody in something different. I guess I am just hopelessly caught in the 80s.

you... may!!!
look Violent Revolution and Enemy Of God where also thrash (more melodic for sure), but the music played in these albums was not something ordinary. They used in a new way the melody and fitted it to thrash. The same happens now. They change a bit their sound, doing something... unusual. IMO this is a very nice way to play thrash. My first impression of that album was: wow this is more melodic than EoG, but wait this is much more fast and aggressive.. I think that this is THRASH...!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
24.01.2009 - 17:50
DayFly
Well each to their own I guess.
31.01.2009 - 14:54
bambayay
Last album of the Kreator is fantastic, much better, for me, of their latest - Enemy of God. Favorite songs from Hordes of Chaos are To The Afterborn and Destroy What Destroys You, especially first one. Great song!
04.02.2009 - 12:07
iaberis
Advice Troll
It's a really interesting album... I'm glad I'm gonna see them live in 2 days! xD
----
Bitch! Please
26.02.2009 - 16:08
taha_69
Written by BloodTears on 17.01.2009 at 23:13

I didn't think it was that good to be honest. It certainly isn't special. But then again no-one is refering to it as a masterpiece right? People say it's a solid album.

I have rated this album with a 7. I think it has great bits here and there, I seem to enjoy "amok run" and "destroy what destroys you" a lot.

It is aggressive, it is thrash but it isn't particularly memorable for me.

I agree.

Dont get me wrong, I think its a good a album, but I feel there is nothing strong that stands out to me here. Kreator being Kreator, which is in my opinion one of the kings of thrash, it should be stronger.

Also, everyone saying that EOG is a weak album, I totally disagree. This album is aggressive, melodic and very catchy which makes a very good album. I feel that EOB is alot better that HOC.
27.02.2009 - 01:49
Rating: 10
terrorist
Written by jupitreas on 13.01.2009 at 23:54

This album is leagues ahead of Enemy Of God, which was a mediocre album at best, in my opinion. Hordes Of Chaos recaptures the visceral, rip-your-jugular attitude of early Kreator while keeping it interesting with more modern thrash elements. Definitely one of the band's best albums.

I agree.mixed both old and new stuff,great album!!!
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
01.03.2009 - 18:46
Toast
Account deleted
I think it's a great album, definetly deserves 8 - 8.5 imo.
02.03.2009 - 17:16
Dominus
The Shooter
God album. ButI believe that "enemy Of God" is much better.
06.03.2009 - 14:06
Modulator
Best album of 2009. so far!
20.03.2009 - 11:52
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
CHAOS! EVERYONE AGAINST EVERYONE!!!

Honestly, anyone who doesn't like this album should just give up on Metal.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
10.04.2009 - 18:10
Hery
"Hordes of Chaos" . the fuking better album of thrash metal post 80'
24.04.2009 - 18:48
Morphis
Just bought the album 3 weeks ago and have been listening to it non-stop.
Kreator is for me one of the best trash bands of all time and this album is another prove that this guys are really something.
There are not many bands that started in the 80's with great albuns passed the 90's with good ones and live in the new millenium kicking asses like hell.

05.08.2009 - 07:48
Nicko's Nose
I'd like to buy it, but I need to know something, does it sound as gothenburg metalish as Enemy Of God? Enemy Of God is a great album, but I think it's too melodic! I never thought I would say that about an album because I love melodic metal more than anything, but this album is too melodic because a lot of the melodies/melodic riffs really aren't that memorable... The first 6 songs are the best. The other songs are good, but they have a bit too many parts that sound like parts that would fit well in gothenburg metal songs. I like gothenburg metal, but not on a thrash metal album.
16.08.2009 - 08:01
Nicko's Nose
Thanks for the replies everyone... :

I bought it anyway. It's GREAT and much better than I expected! It has some surprisingly great melodies! I think I prefer the melodies on it over the melodies on Enemy Of God. Enemy Of God has the better riffs though.
20.08.2009 - 14:55
Rating: 7
NiederHaven
It's a copy of Enemy of God... Generally...
22.08.2009 - 19:53
terrorist
Written by NiederHaven on 20.08.2009 at 14:55

No'it is not definitely.It has a little bit older stuff in this album specialy riffs and new of course but i don't think it's a copy of Enemy of god.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
26.08.2009 - 20:48
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher

really????? then tell us why...
----
31.08.2009 - 12:47
Rating: 7
NiederHaven
In my humble opinion, I think that the sonority is practically the same... There are a few diferences, but notice, Kreator in all their years of work, they continued the same in terms of music (originality)... And this album don't escapes to the normal tipe of music they produce... If you compare all of their albums, they are a little similar... Not in genre, but in originality....
31.08.2009 - 13:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by NiederHaven on 31.08.2009 at 12:47

In my humble opinion, I think that the sonority is practically the same... There are a few diferences, but notice, Kreator in all their years of work, they continued the same in terms of music (originality)... And this album don't escapes to the normal tipe of music they produce... If you compare all of their albums, they are a little similar... Not in genre, but in originality....

you could say that EoG is a bit similar with VR because the production is almost the same. but musicaly it is not. in HoC i the band tries some new thinks but keeps the succesful formula of the last albums (stay in thrash, many melodies etc). don't forget that in Hordes Of Chaos the bands uses more melodies than ever. much more than EoG. but HoC is a much more angry album. how do they manage it if musically they are the same?
----
10.10.2009 - 18:36
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Deadmeat on 26.08.2009 at 20:48

really????? then tell us why...

it is just rubbish.
10.10.2009 - 23:27
Lord_Regnier
Written by Morphis on 24.04.2009 at 18:48

There are not many bands that started in the 80's with great albuns passed the 90's with good ones and live in the new millenium kicking asses like hell.

Sorry but I strongly disagree. Kreator didn't "passed the 90s with good ones".
This band was awful in the 90s. Nothing they released between "Coma Of Souls" and "Violent Revolution" worths listening to. Especially "Renewal" (one of the most stinking piece of shit I heard in metal).
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
06.01.2010 - 13:54
Septic Skitzo
Account deleted
This album is fucking awesome. I feel that kreator have borrowed heavily from their last two albums though. The first time i listened to it there were bits in nearly every song which made me think ive heard this before. That doesnt really take anything away from the album though. Its fast, its heavy, its melodic and its fun. Just try to be abit more original next time.
03.02.2010 - 17:56
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Lord_Regnier on 10.10.2009 at 23:27

Written by Morphis on 24.04.2009 at 18:48

Sorry but I strongly disagree. Kreator didn't "passed the 90s with good ones".
This band was awful in the 90s. Nothing they released between "Coma Of Souls" and "Violent Revolution" worths listening to. Especially "Renewal" (one of the most stinking piece of shit I heard in metal).

no man you are wrong. kreator are not thrash in that era but the surely worth a listen. outcast is an album with many gothic etc influences and it is very good. surely they are better in thrash but these 4 albums being different doesnt mean they are awfull. there are many people that love kreator only because of this era. and this means something. i dont agree but probably they'll have a reason..
----
07.02.2010 - 14:14
Lord_Regnier
Written by Deadmeat on 03.02.2010 at 17:56

no man you are wrong. kreator are not thrash in that era but the surely worth a listen. outcast is an album with many gothic etc influences and it is very good. surely they are better in thrash but these 4 albums being different doesnt mean they are awfull. there are many people that love kreator only because of this era. and this means something. i dont agree but probably they'll have a reason..

Thrash or not, Kreator still sucked balls during the 90s from my point of view and I will not loose my time listening to the garbage they released back then.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
07.02.2010 - 14:21
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Lord_Regnier on 07.02.2010 at 14:14

Written by Deadmeat on 03.02.2010 at 17:56

Thrash or not, Kreator still sucked balls during the 90s from my point of view and I will not loose my time listening to the garbage they released back then.

i'd say you'd better go listen to outcast and then say it's garbage. it is a very good album. you cannot deny for example that phobia is a nice song. it's a classic.
----
31.07.2010 - 02:56
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Anyone got guitar tabs for that album (or at least some of its tracks) ?
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832

Hits total: 14903 | This month: 46