Metal Storm logo
Varg Vikernes - Soon To Be Released

In a recent interview with the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet Varg Vikernes confirmed that he's soon to be released from prison. Here's what he said (roughly translated from Norwegian):

"I can confirm that I'm soon to be released" he told the paper.

The 36 year old will move to a small farm in Telemark, where his wife and 1,5 year old son has been living for the last couple of years.

"I barely haven't seen my son since he was born. Even though I hear his voice almost every day on the telephone it's really hard not to be present when he's growing up. I miss my family and I look forward to the day where I can work on the farm, make music, write books and be with my wife and child 24 hours a day - and live a normal family life."

To the question about him being ready for society, he responded:
"I'm ready for society - and I have been for many years. I've learned from my mistakes and I've become older. Now I just want to be with together with my family. My mind has never been imprisoned."

Source: dagbladet.no
Band profile: Burzum
Posted: 11.03.2009 by GT

Comments page 3 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 93   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 549 users
12.03.2009 - 10:00
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by iaberis on 11.03.2009 at 17:46

Keep him imprisoned for ever!

why? he was punished according to the law and now, after serving the punishment, he will be released according to the law...in our country he probably wont even be in prison so long
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

12.03.2009 - 10:33
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Nexus on 11.03.2009 at 20:02

Written by corrupt on 11.03.2009 at 19:35

Written by BitterCOld on 11.03.2009 at 19:11

I love the Norwegian "justice" system. it's bad enough that a "life sentence" is a measly 21 years to begin with, then granting parole to a guy who just a few years ago attempted to flee the country with enough military hardware to start his own militia is plain stupid.

i thought parole was reserved for good behavior...

BE is partially correct, depending upon what State he lived in, he'd either have life in prison (actual life, not 15 years) or would have been put down by now depending on whatever form of capital punishment that particular state opts for.

i honestly believe Varg getting out of prison is going to be a big disappointment to you Vargophiles. he's middle aged, and despite his radical past behavior, my guess is he's going to be horribly boring now.

And what exactly is wrong about a life sentence of 21 years? If you put every murderer away for life you'd give em no chance to redeem themselves and prove that they have changed. And no country in the world has the right to sentence a human being to death. No matter what he did. It's like the famous Gandalf quote from lotr. I've you can't give life back to the dead, don't be so quick about taking it away from the living. Anyone deserves a second chance and there have been people who did worse things than Varg released from prison and got theirs. A good justice system is one that allows people to change and takes that change into account. Not one that judges on moral absolutes and never looks back. That's against all that is human.

Right ... and then you look at some people who had murdered previously, had gained parole, only to murder again and again. Some people went on murdering sprees for years, got jailed at the very ends of their lives, only to die of natural causes in prison. That's fair, right? I think that's pretty ridiculous. Not saying that's going to be the case with Varg, as quite honestly I could not care less about him, but some people just don't deserve second chances.

I love how all of you non-Norwegians attempt to fathom the Norwegian Justice System and sprout absolute rubbish lol.. Hilarious..

For those who brought it up, he was allowed out of prison for short periods to meet his family, hence the wife and son.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
12.03.2009 - 12:05
..ExoTeaR..
I wish him luck.
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
12.03.2009 - 13:47
Nexus
Asshat
Written by Himann on 12.03.2009 at 10:33

I love the Norwegian "justice" system. it's bad enough that a "life sentence" is a measly 21 years to begin with, then granting parole to a guy who just a few years ago attempted to flee the country with enough military hardware to start his own militia is plain stupid.

BE is partially correct, depending upon what State he lived in, he'd either have life in prison (actual life, not 15 years) or would have been put down by now depending on whatever form of capital punishment that particular state opts for.

i honestly believe Varg getting out of prison is going to be a big disappointment to you Vargophiles. he's middle aged, and despite his radical past behavior, my guess is he's going to be horribly boring now.

And what exactly is wrong about a life sentence of 21 years? If you put every murderer away for life you'd give em no chance to redeem themselves and prove that they have changed. And no country in the world has the right to sentence a human being to death. No matter what he did. It's like the famous Gandalf quote from lotr. I've you can't give life back to the dead, don't be so quick about taking it away from the living. Anyone deserves a second chance and there have been people who did worse things than Varg released from prison and got theirs. A good justice system is one that allows people to change and takes that change into account. Not one that judges on moral absolutes and never looks back. That's against all that is human.

Right ... and then you look at some people who had murdered previously, had gained parole, only to murder again and again. Some people went on murdering sprees for years, got jailed at the very ends of their lives, only to die of natural causes in prison. That's fair, right? I think that's pretty ridiculous. Not saying that's going to be the case with Varg, as quite honestly I could not care less about him, but some people just don't deserve second chances.

I love how all of you non-Norwegians attempt to fathom the Norwegian Justice System and sprout absolute rubbish lol.. Hilarious..

For those who brought it up, he was allowed out of prison for short periods to meet his family, hence the wife and son.

I'm not trying to 'fathom your system' at all. Not sure where you got that impression from. I'm just bitching about the fallacy of the justice system in general (although it's not always faulty), regardless of the country.
----
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for everything
12.03.2009 - 14:18
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Nexus on 12.03.2009 at 13:47

Written by Himann on 12.03.2009 at 10:33

I'm not trying to 'fathom your system' at all. Not sure where you got that impression from. I'm just bitching about the fallacy of the justice system in general (although it's not always faulty), regardless of the country.

The impression comes from the quotes above your post. It also wasn't aimed at only you, but all those who were involved in the particular discussion. If you read what they say and also readup on the details of the case, you'll understand why I said what I did.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
12.03.2009 - 14:54
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Himann on 12.03.2009 at 14:18

The impression comes from the quotes above your post. It also wasn't aimed at only you, but all those who were involved in the particular discussion. If you read what they say and also readup on the details of the case, you'll understand why I said what I did.

I think you got that wrong. Like Nexus said, this discussion is not aimed at any particular justice system but at the moral aspects of an absolute-punishment jurisdiction. In fact the German system shows the same flaws that Nexus pointed out regarding cases of serial perpetrators being repeatedly set free. But that doesn't make it a bad system either. And I don't think any of us know jack about the Norwegian system, so why would we discuss that?
----
12.03.2009 - 15:25
Inlé
Celebritising random murderer. Again. Yawn.
12.03.2009 - 17:13
Dani5050
So basically there are a bunch of people here happy that this freak is getting out and will enjoy his live as a free man and enjoy his family, he is gonna get a chance, the chance he didn't give Euronymous, to have child, a wife, a son. Now you can see why this kind of freaks are famous.
12.03.2009 - 17:43
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
He will be "famous" ever after no matter if he is in prison or free...lets see, if he will take the chance, he may get now...
----

12.03.2009 - 17:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 12.03.2009 at 10:00

Keep him imprisoned for ever!

why? he was punished according to the law and now, after serving the punishment, he will be released according to the law...in our country he probably wont even be in prison so long

Actually he didn't serve the punishment. He was sentenced for 21 years and gets out BEFORE the time is up.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.03.2009 - 18:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Because he acts properly in prison, not like some aggressive jerk on drugs and doing mess everyday => he seems to be no danger for society => can be released eariler...

hundreds of criminals are released earlier from prison and you say nothing, just because you dont know them

and as i said - if i am not wrong, he served already about 14 years or so...in our country, 15 years is maximum penalty for murder, only in extreme cases (more of kills, children kills) can be more years given...and many criminals are receiving even less - for example : killed mother with small kid, while they were walking on pavement - he drove there, since he was drunken and under drugs, he drove w/o driving licence and he was banned from driving by court for previous crimes...his punishment? whole five years...because it wasnt murder, but "unwilling damaging health"

therefore i am really not finding Varg need to stay in prison longer...
----

12.03.2009 - 22:29
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 12.03.2009 at 18:02

and as i said - if i am not wrong, he served already about 14 years or so...in our country, 15 years is maximum penalty for murder, only in extreme cases (more of kills, children kills) can be more years given...and many criminals are receiving even less - for example : killed mother with small kid, while they were walking on pavement - he drove there, since he was drunken and under drugs, he drove w/o driving licence and he was banned from driving by court for previous crimes...his punishment? whole five years...because it wasnt murder, but "unwilling damaging health"

therefore i am really not finding Varg need to stay in prison longer...

Terrible example as it's, as you stated correctly, not a case of murder. Unless of course you meant to say that Euronymous' 23 stab wounds were just an accident as well.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
12.03.2009 - 23:07
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
For me it is same as murder, when someone is driving drunken and even more under drugs...
----

13.03.2009 - 17:53
metalhead3
I think that is good for his fans,he will make new albums and that is good,but it is not good for other people,he is killer and it is bad if they released him before than he must be released,he made some murder,he killed someone
13.03.2009 - 18:45
Byte666
Account deleted
Yeah couple of years wasted in jail xD great life.
13.03.2009 - 23:50
Rimfrost
I don't expect him to write more Burzum material, but time will tell. What people don't seem to understand is that he is not a random lunatic that kills innocent strangers, and that he probably is not dangerous to the norwegian society. He actually had a MOTIVE to kill the last time, just or not.
14.03.2009 - 09:16
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Rimfrost on 13.03.2009 at 23:50

he probably is not dangerous to the norwegian society

definitely not so dangerous as those kind of mad youngsters going on killing sprees in schools...

and btw crying about Euronymus...what sort of guy must he be, when his first thought when seeing Dead's body was "Damn, this would be nice cover art", second "I gotta buy myself a camera right now" and third "We should sell his skull pieces as amulets"...do you really feel so sorry for him? who knows who will be him today...maybe another Ihsan but maybe another Varg...
----

14.03.2009 - 13:23
Daniel
Written by Dead Ohlin on 12.03.2009 at 04:21

Don't release the fucker! Keep him imprisoned for ever!

Im with you bro

l

lol.
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
14.03.2009 - 13:24
Daniel
Who cares. they all played too much WoW & read too much lotr
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
20.03.2009 - 23:14
winter song
Account deleted
Written by Daniel on 14.03.2009 at 13:24

Who cares. they all played too much WoW & read too much lotr

cause we all now WoW existed in the early 90's before the dawn of the PC and the internet.....
29.03.2009 - 22:25
ZZVlad
Account deleted
Vikernes is not a middle-age man. he's still the same little boy who burns churchs for the lulz. long live this little child in his mind forever
21.04.2009 - 18:35
Volunteer
Account deleted
The real black will soon be free again
21.04.2009 - 20:42
I dont care that hes a murderer. I love his music and hope he gets out soon and continues to make music
and terrorize the mind slaves
06.05.2009 - 20:07
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by ... on 21.04.2009 at 20:42

I dont care that hes a murderer. I love his music and hope he gets out soon and continues to make music

he can make music also in prison... this is not a reason to be released. he is a pussy that he killed a man. only stupid and coward people without a mind in their head do such things.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
06.05.2009 - 21:42
Smurfophagist
Written by Guest on 12.03.2009 at 03:40

How necro
Is he the same evil guy who murdered, burned, etc
The only cruel thing about him now is the irony: a notorious black metal die-hard becomes a devoted family man
"Praised be he who does not change"!!
By the way, when did his wife got pregnant from him? In prison? Is it allowed?

some say she is the reason he killed Euronymous.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
08.05.2009 - 18:31
Written by Deadmeat on 06.05.2009 at 20:07

he can make music also in prison... this is not a reason to be released. he is a pussy that he killed a man. only stupid and coward people without a mind in their head do such things.

all i really care about is the music and it would be cool to see him live in concert
08.05.2009 - 18:37
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by ... on 08.05.2009 at 18:31

all i really care about is the music and it would be cool to see him live in concert

that's another thing... i dont know if this could happen but generally talking his actions make him deserving where he is now..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.05.2009 - 18:46
Written by Deadmeat on 08.05.2009 at 18:37

Written by ... on 08.05.2009 at 18:31

that's another thing... i dont know if this could happen but generally talking his actions make him deserving where he is now..

well... after a muerder conviction hes not likely to get a visa to perform in the usa anyways
23.05.2009 - 17:31
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I think that Norway knows what a prison is actually supposed to be, a CORRECTIONAL facility, not a punishment facility, like our fucked up prisons in America. Hails to Norway and Varg.
----
Brujerizmo!
23.05.2009 - 17:34
Lord_Regnier
Written by ... on 08.05.2009 at 18:46

well... after a murder conviction hes not likely to get a visa to perform in the usa anyways

Burzum never played live, so it makes no difference anyway.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"

Hits total: 8878 | This month: 20