Metal Storm logo
They Rule The Band

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 13.07.2006 - 04:12
So this thread is about those band members who are complete control freaks...band members who are in the limelight more then other members, composing more passages, always noted for more ideas and concepts then other members, members who basically write all the music, stuff like that...I know a lot of them in the rock vien (Robert Fripp of King Crimson for example) but maybe you MSers could shed light on some of those metal figureheads who basically treat the other band members simply as hired guns...I'm not talking about solo artists, but actual bands where one band member is a complete control freak...that one band member that created the band from his own two hands and thus just thinks he can disband the band whenever he wants, owns the rights to the material and name, etc, etc...
16.07.2006 - 18:07
lazarus
another could be Christopher Johnson in Therion, Tilo Wolff in Lacrimosa, and Vibeke Stene in Tristania (The band needs her, and I need her too).
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
16.07.2006 - 19:08
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Yeah, I agree with you a little there, Alfo. I think that a certain instrument that a member plays can mean that that member is the limelight of the band. Like vocallists and guitarists are often more well known and thought of as bigger parts of a band than other members.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
16.07.2006 - 19:22
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Andi deris in helloween is now the lead member after weikath left to write many songs, i think it could be an example of waht happens when a member could fit in a band
16.07.2006 - 23:16
Bitch Boy
@lazarus: Tilo Wolff and Vibeke Stene are both bad examples. In Lacrimosa's case, I don't think Anne Nurmi is just an accesory for Tilo and neither does everything he says. In Tristania's case, obviously they need Vibeke, but she isn't the one who rule the band, and if she leaves Tristania, surely the rest of the members will look for a remplacement (the same happened in Theatre of Tragedy, Sirenia, Visions of Atlantis, The sins of thy beloved, etc.)
17.07.2006 - 10:45
Vunts
Written by Guest on 14.07.2006 at 08:10

Written by Stigmatized on 13.07.2006 at 04:57

What about Alexi Laiho and Children Of Bodom?

That was my first thought when I saw this thread sadly enough he's basically the whole band. When someone refers to Bodom being all amazing and talented, they probably mean Alexi

I still think that Warman and Roope get their fair share of recognition. For one thing, i know them, and i don't usually know much of the band members, even if i am a fan.
A fact is that i personally can't imagine CoB without Laiho. However i also don't think that he has a dictatorship going on in the band. So...i might say he is something like the reaper on their covers...like, an icon, but not directly ruling over the bandmembers' ever descision.

EDIT: the point remained the same, i just re-read what i wrote yesterday and i was disgusted on how poorly it was written...so i changed like...the key points.
18.07.2006 - 08:26
Hyvaarin
Written by Daru Jericho on 13.07.2006 at 12:35

I was gonna say Mustaine...Also, I'm guessing we don't include solo bands in this thread

How about Hansi Kursch in Blind Guardian.

I don't know about that, André contributes a LOT (all the music, from memory) and is revered by the fans.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
18.07.2006 - 21:30
Daru Jericho
Written by Hyvaarin on 18.07.2006 at 08:26

I was gonna say Mustaine...Also, I'm guessing we don't include solo bands in this thread

I don't know about that, André contributes a LOT (all the music, from memory) and is revered by the fans.

Hm...maybe. But everyone seems to talk about Hansi a lot and doesn't he write most, if not all of the lyrics? I 'm not totally sure about this. You could be right but yes Andre does some work. So maybe Hansi doesn't rule but has a large input instead.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

18.07.2006 - 22:42
_HIV_
kerry king ... he rules slayer
and max cavalera rules soulfly ...
19.07.2006 - 00:47
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Daru Jericho on 18.07.2006 at 21:30

Hm...maybe. But everyone seems to talk about Hansi a lot and doesn't he write most, if not all of the lyrics? I 'm not totally sure about this. You could be right but yes Andre does some work. So maybe Hansi doesn't rule but has a large input instead.

There would be hardly any music whatsoever if it wasn't for Olbrich and Siepen though. The frontman of the band and the person who has total control can be two very different things. Take Morbid Angel for example. Trey is always more of a "behind" the scenes kind of guy compared to Tucker or Vincent, but he controls most of the band, even though like I said earlier it wouldn't be Morbid Angel without Pete.

By the way, Jeff writes as much, if not more of the music in Slayer than does Kerry King. I think they are both equal in Slayer though.
----
The force will be with you, always.
19.07.2006 - 00:59
Daru Jericho
Written by Clintagräm on 19.07.2006 at 00:47

There would be hardly any music whatsoever if it wasn't for Olbrich and Siepen though. The frontman of the band and the person who has total control can be two very different things. Take Morbid Angel for example. Trey is always more of a "behind" the scenes kind of guy compared to Tucker or Vincent, but he controls most of the band, even though like I said earlier it wouldn't be Morbid Angel without Pete.

Ok, fair enough. I did say that I wasn't entirely sure in my last post, but anyway...
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

21.07.2006 - 13:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
The first I think of is Nergal. He basically IS Behemoth, though the other members contribute.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.07.2006 - 09:21
dark awakening
Ihsahn leads Emperor
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
28.07.2006 - 17:46
Achor
Account deleted
alexi laiho is probably the biggest control freak ever... he is children of bodom, no one cares about the rest of the band... if laiho would quit, the band would fall into the shadows, and never see the light of the day again...
28.07.2006 - 23:50
Torelli
Morten Veland used to rule the band Tristania. He composed, wrote the lyrics and even controlled the choir arrangements. He is probaly doing the same thing with Sirenia now...
29.07.2006 - 01:21
Revenant
Account deleted
Morten Veland, he left because the rest of the band wante dto hav their own input.
29.07.2006 - 01:24
Revenant
Account deleted

Hansi writes all the lyrics and Andre writes msot of the music.
04.08.2006 - 05:39
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Lars Ulrich in Metallica.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.08.2006 - 05:43
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Lars just whines until he gets his way...
06.08.2006 - 06:15
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
But he controls through whinning!
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

06.08.2006 - 10:42
Endoftherainbow
Timo Tolkki of Stratovarius he rules the band with his crazed iron fist. The best thing I ever heard was when he fired his entire band. It's to bad he had to go insane though because I'm pretty sure it took its toll on the writing of their latest album.
22.09.2006 - 03:18
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
Enric Garcia from Dark Moor, for sure...
23.09.2006 - 02:32
Semíramis*
Dani Filth... if he quits there is no CoF, for he is the band and the others just come and go.
----
<..celass abdala rahin asnufar..kahib infehila a mort di kain..>
01.02.2007 - 05:01
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Kay Lutter in In Extremo
----

01.02.2007 - 16:00
Destryphior
Well Tuomas Holopainen in Nightwish, writing all the music and lyrics. Kicking Tarja didn't make his position look any weaker. Jari Mäenpää in Wintersun, well actually you could say he's the band, like Vintersorg in, well Vintersorg.
01.02.2007 - 16:02
lazarus
Written by Bitch Boy on 16.07.2006 at 23:16

@lazarus: Tilo Wolff and Vibeke Stene are both bad examples. In Lacrimosa's case, I don't think Anne Nurmi is just an accesory for Tilo and neither does everything he says. In Tristania's case, obviously they need Vibeke, but she isn't the one who rule the band, and if she leaves Tristania, surely the rest of the members will look for a remplacement (the same happened in Theatre of Tragedy, Sirenia, Visions of Atlantis, The sins of thy beloved, etc.)

probably not too late for a responding, where are those bands right now(ToT or TSOTB)?! trying not to be forgotten, I disagree about Tilo because he's the soul of the band, don't get me wrong, Anne is great and I like the way the band took when she got into the band, cheers!
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
01.02.2007 - 16:44
rebelos
Account deleted
Sakis rules Rotting CHrist
01.02.2007 - 16:45
APOHAKC
The Bard
Kao Hansen rule whole Graman heavy metal, but it is good.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
04.02.2007 - 07:19
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Blackie Lawless of WASP. He drove members to quit the band because hes so controlling.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.02.2007 - 17:16
Empress
LOL...some great responses here but don't forget Yngwie Malmsteen...I think everyone who has played with him called him "A"hole!

The control freaks aren't as bad and the Pedophiles ...how many of these jerks send spotters out to find the young girls to go back stage?

Now playing - Stratovarius "Destiny"
05.02.2007 - 12:51
MetalGoddess
Steve Harris in Iron Maiden

he OWNS the band.... some members lefthave for other projects because Harris won't let them compose
He's an one way man ... wtf ?! he's English
----
You can't keep this fast car out of the race \m/