Metal Storm logo
Pain

13.04.2009 - 22:30
Hamird
Lieutenant
I'd made a topic for Pain, but I think I deleted it wrongly. That was times ago..
OK, Whatever, let's start another topic and discuss about this band..
The latest album was passable but still I think the best piece of Pain's work is Psalms of Extinction.. For me all Pain albums become boring after times you listen to them, and they become moody albums, but Psalms of Extinction.
Now I think it's better that Peter Tagtgren switch off the Pain for a while.. Because I think Cynic Paradise had no new idea comparing to Psalms of Extinction; however that was better than Dancing with the Dead.
13.04.2009 - 22:54
Ragana
Rawrcat
Ah, thanks about reminding me about Pain! I didn't know what to listen to and then saw this thread, lol.

I'm not a big fan of this band. I think they are too catchy for me, especially their last album "Cynic Paradise" which seemed good at first but then, as you already mentioned, it turned into a boring crap. And still, I like to listen to Pain sometimes when I feel like I couldn't listen to anything heavier.

But anyway, I think Peter Tägtgren is a very talented man.
14.04.2009 - 01:34
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Ragana on 13.04.2009 at 22:54

Ah, thanks about reminding me about Pain! I didn't know what to listen to and then saw this thread, lol.

I'm not a big fan of this band. I think they are too catchy for me, especially their last album "Cynic Paradise" which seemed good at first but then, as you already mentioned, it turned into a boring crap. And still, I like to listen to Pain sometimes when I feel like I couldn't listen to anything heavier.

Well have no doubt that Peter Tagtgren is a very talented man. And like it has been said before (by Juptreas I guess), if Pain wasn't a Tagtgren project it would be an unknown Electro-Industrial band.. So it's clear when you are Peter Tagtgren you have credit.
And again starting Pain was a talented act. Because if he wanted to involved his idea of Pain in his main project, Hypocrisy, that would destroy the Hypocrisy.. But thank God, Hypocrisy is still pure.
14.04.2009 - 01:58
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Hamird on 14.04.2009 at 01:34

Written by Ragana on 13.04.2009 at 22:54

Well have no doubt that Peter Tagtgren is a very talented man. And like it has been said before (by Juptreas I guess), if Pain wasn't a Tagtgren project it would be an unknown Electro-Industrial band.. So it's clear when you are Peter Tagtgren you have credit.
And again starting Pain was a talented act. Because if he wanted to involved his idea of Pain in his main project, Hypocrisy, that would destroy the Hypocrisy.. But thank God, Hypocrisy is still pure.

Yeah, you seem right about both facts.
14.04.2009 - 03:55
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
As I said many times before - Pain is shit. Ok, perhaps not pure shit - there are some undigested remnants of good ideas within the feces somewhere, but they are noticeable way too rarely. Tagtgren is a talented man but I guess even he needs to take a shit occasionally, and as Hamird mentioned, at least good ol' Peter has the good sense to label his excrement as "Pain", as in "this will literally be a pain to listen to".

Pain is terrible for many reasons - it is unoriginal, bland, made up of cliches from other style, features totally inept singing, embarrassingly juvenile lyrics and fantastically badly chosen contributions by other artists. The only time Pain is tolerable is when it sounds like Hypocrisy.

...anyway, I know my hatred of this band has become somewhat of a running gag on Metal Storm. Truth be told, I'm pretty apathetic about Pain at the moment since I don't think music this bad needs to be on my mind for longer than the time it takes to reasonably familiarize myself with it in order to review it. It's just a pain for me to see how Pain is idolized by people who never pained themselves to listen to older class industrial rock acts that were projecting real pain and suffering with their music without being called Pain and associated with Peter Tagtgren. Bands like Stabbing Westward, Gravity Kills, Filter, Misery Loves Co., Chemlab, God Lives Underwater, Spahn Ranch and even bands like Kidneythiever, Sister Machine Gun, Orgy and Godhead all have albums and songs that totally wipe the floor with Pain and most of these bands are much older bands that were breaking new ground when they were doing their thing. Just saying...
14.07.2009 - 16:06
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by jupitreas on 14.04.2009 at 03:55

Pain is terrible for many reasons - it is unoriginal, bland, made up of cliches from other style, features totally inept singing, embarrassingly juvenile lyrics and fantastically badly chosen contributions by other artists. The only time Pain is tolerable is when it sounds like Hypocrisy.

Well, apparently we, who like Pain, are not as deep as you. I enjoy every bit of a catchy, cliche tunes as well as something more unconventional or extreme. And gosh, I love Peter's voice when he's not growling (but I do admit I prefer him in Hypocrisy) and as you call it ''juvenile'' lyrics, for the simple fact I don't give lyrics that much of a weight, if the music is good, so if he sings about aliens or flowers and unicorns in a pink land instead of the world misanthropy and rotten society, that's fine by me as well. Is there a rule that in order to be good, you have to write deep, phylosophical lyrics or what?

Well, there is something obviosuly about Pain that hits it, if it made you actually write that post. I know I don't have the will to write crap about bands I dislike, simply, because they're too bare and blend to touch me in that measure.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
14.07.2009 - 21:48
albatros

We discussed all of this after Mr Christ's review of "Psalms Of Extinction" came out. Then and also in his post from april 2009 he named a couple bands, which he deemed better. That's at least some constructive approach. I randomly checked out a couple of his names, but failed to find something that would really catch my interest. So, I suppose it's really down to taste.

In addition, Pain happened to play a couple times in my vicinity, which is an undeniable advantage. My favourite ist still the "Rebirth" CD and a couple songs from each of the more recent CDs.
14.07.2009 - 22:24
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
My bad then. I just noticed the old thread about Pain is gone, where I shared some fragments of my ideas of this band, but it got deleted. I can't argue the fact that jupitreas post was well written, cause it was and I have no problems if someone dislikes the band I like, but I sensed a great deal of mockery towards the band and of course the fans (opening the post with ''Pain is shit'' is something I just couldn't overlook).
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
15.07.2009 - 01:53
albatros

I don't know, if there ever was a specific Pain thread. Last time you and jupitreas and I and some others met was in the comments section of above mentioned review, almost two years ago.

So it's just a nice reunion and we haven't changed a lot over the years.

I've had fun with Pain for several years, be it while listening under the shower or on my bicycle trips or during their live gigs. They did something for me.
16.07.2009 - 00:34
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Certainly there is something about Pain that makes me write a lot about them. The band sucks major balls, face it people.
17.07.2009 - 14:28
albatros

Bashing bands is like pissing against the wind. You get the feeling of relief, but the overall result is not pleasant for everyone.
17.07.2009 - 15:43
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
...and opinions are just like assholes, everybody has one but that doesn't mean they should be shown to everyone

but i'm a critic. i have the right to bash, mock and generally shit all over something i don't like.
17.07.2009 - 22:25
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well, TBH, I still give a lot of credit to a negative opinion that is constructive, that various shous: ''this rocks mwahahaha!!''

So I guess we're settled

My bad if I had some kind of a weird idea Pain thread used to exist... But then again, I also noticed some other threads are missing (I'm definately sure there was a Laibach thread and when I searched for it, there was none). I guess the summer sun hit me too hard
----
18.07.2009 - 12:34
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by AnGina-- on 17.07.2009 at 22:25

Well, TBH, I still give a lot of credit to a negative opinion that is constructive, that various shous: ''this rocks mwahahaha!!''

So I guess we're settled

My bad if I had some kind of a weird idea Pain thread used to exist... But then again, I also noticed some other threads are missing (I'm definately sure there was a Laibach thread and when I searched for it, there was none). I guess the summer sun hit me too hard

As I said there was another Pain thread opened by me, which I wanted to edit the topic but I deleted it. :
As I remember, there was just five posts there, which two of them were by Jupitreas and three other of mine. No one else posted nothing.
And there's still a Laibach thread
18.07.2009 - 13:01
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
^^I'm quite sure I posted in that thread.

Tnx for the Laibach link though, seems my search engine doesn't work as it was suppose to.
----
02.10.2009 - 01:16
Hamird
Lieutenant
I just watched "Have a Drink on Me" video.. It's totally disappointing. I liked PAIN videos from Rebirth and Nothing Remains The Same.. Those were nice in my opinion.. But I think album by album videos got worse and worse.. And now on the latest album, first we've got Peter walking in Turkey with a FOLLOW ME sign.. And then two WE'RE SO COOL videos.