Metal Storm logo
Did Metal really come from Rock?

Original post

Posted by 4look4rd, 15.07.2006 - 04:48
I think Rock just had an influence of what Heavy Metal would be later, but in my opinion Metal is a totally new genere (not just a sub-genere) with its own characteristcs, way distinct from Rock. Even thou Hard Rock is very similar to Heavy Metal.
26.07.2006 - 03:30
Bitch Boy
@X-Freak: as I've already said, I think that metal comes from rock, but your example is quite out of sense, as Queen isn't the only rock band in the world, and in that list there are some bands/artists that don't belong neither to metal nor to rock, like Dr. Dre, Robbie Williams, Keane or Green Day.
26.07.2006 - 04:10
X-FrEaK
-.-? so what? arent there metal bands? we are talking about metal right?

i know that queen arent the only rock band in the world...but i tell you what..read the question "Did Metal really came from Rock?", i just answered it with an example...whats wrong about it? if the first metal bands say they were influenced by Queen(amongst others) we assume that metal came from rock!
----
28.07.2006 - 17:41
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
My point is:

Back in the late 60's and early 70's, people were listening to bands such as bettles, roling stones, eagles, and considering these bands Rock n' Roll.... Then Black Sabbath was born with a totally new sound. After that the Hard Rock and Hair Metal was "born".
In my opnion the modern Rock came from Heavy Metal.
----
29.07.2006 - 01:43
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
i htink metal came from the blues, black sabbath songs and Blues cheer came from the blues chords and solos...
29.07.2006 - 04:48
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
To be quite honest no, it has more similarities to Blues. Mixed with some Rock. Thrash is essentially blues played really fast. Same with heavy metal.
I agree with @4look4rd modertn rock came from heavy metal, 60's and 70's rock and roll was in itself a diffent style of music to Black Sabbath and the Scorpions. (Although early forms of metal seem to get the heavy sound from bass rather than a heavily distorted riffs)

In short, Modern metal came from Blues, I think rock came from 40's&50's RnB. Explaining the similarities of the two.
07.08.2006 - 00:50
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I must admit the answer to this question is rather obvious.OF COURSE IT CAME FROM ROCK!!! Bands like Black Sabbath,Led Zeppelin,Blue Oyster Cult,Yes (more prog rock,but had a hand influcening many bands),Thin Lizzy.However Metal also absorbed a lot of classical influences,like I like to say Metal is today's classical music! More of the power metal bands and progressive bands absorbed more of that classicality (even a word?) of their music.
11.08.2006 - 01:21
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
It's true enough that Metal is it's own genre with it's own Characteristics, and Definitely NOT a Subgenre.
However every major Genre does desend from another, so even though it's it's own, it did desend from another genre.

I'm a big believer that Metal is the child of Rock and blues, Prime example is Black Sabbath, Who is one of the first metal Bands, But as it grew it changed, and evolved to eventually become it's own Genre with a variety of Subgenre's of it's own.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
11.08.2006 - 02:03
jdsony
Account deleted
I agree with the Blues influence but that's not the end of story. If you listen to most of the big early rock bands like "The Beatles", and "The Rolling Stones" you hear a lot of blues influences. I think as Rock developed it split apart (musically). Black Sabbath, DIO etc. are highly blues based as is a lot of the darker metal today. Much of the upbeat and Power Metal is quite a bit different, much further from Blues and more upbeat in their use of scales. When I think rock I think of the annoying pentatonic scales. Bands like Death, Quo Vadis, and even Megadeth have a lot of Jazz influences and timings. A lot of Metal has classical influence in their music too which I especially notice in the Finnish bands.

I would agree that Metal is it's own genre now even though it is in essence part of Rock. If you look deep enough though the only real similarity that makes Metal more related to Rock then other genre's is the general use of distorion.
12.08.2006 - 13:42
Daniel
The greatest rock band ever,was Led zeppelin,after led zeppelin,there came black sabbath,who are one of the best metal bands in the world,but wha was the first metal band? Led zeppelin is not metal,they are rock,black sabbath have been called metal and rock,?????,I think metal came from rock,it would have to,ok,Ive just confused myself now , ,anyways,I think metal did come from rock,but to know that i have to know who the first rock band was,And I don't have a clue ................... .
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
15.08.2006 - 06:28
danzig111
Account deleted
too distinct and different? DUH! that's why it was called METAL and not ROCK
15.08.2006 - 13:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well,i'l give it to you that sabbath was a blues band before 1970,but you have to admit,metal came from rock-harder vocals(a tad harsher in heavy metal,and 10 times more than blues),more use of the distortion pedal,rather than only the overdrive,whereas blues is generally about clean guitars and bass is a whole lot more important,while in metal about 40% of the times you can't actually hear the bass because of the singing or the guitar harmony.conclusively,metal is definetely a stand-alone genre,and if i were to draw a diagram of how rock has evolved in the last 50 years,it would be like this:
40's and 50's RnB and soul+"boogie-woogie"=rock n roll
rock n roll+blues and jazz=rock
rock+blues=metal
rock->punk
etc.
IMO^
15.08.2006 - 13:03
Beer Fairy
I think that metal came from the rock, and especially from Led Zeppelin.....
15.08.2006 - 15:43
The Mu-Mu Thing.
Account deleted
You can't just draw the line between rock and metal.. If you listen to some old rock or heavy metal, you hardly notice the difference.. But if you listen to death metal and old rock, the difference is huge.. So I think heavy metal was slowly borned from rock, and then other influences made more genres of metal, which made them totaly different from the basic style..
And I think it's impossible to say which band started metal.. It didn't happened during the night, with one band.. I'm sure many unknown underground bands played before Black Sabbath and were developing their own style, which was closer to metal than rock.
It's a hard question to answer and I guess noone could ever say the 100% correct thing.
15.08.2006 - 15:48
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
There are a lot of posters in here that aren't reading previous posts and are re-hashing a lot of old news...for example, saying that the birth of metal didn't just happen overnight with a band like Black Sabbath...I think this thread is reaching it's rehash blah point here...
16.08.2006 - 23:31
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
we gotta think what people was listening before the birth of metal....... Specially because metal wasn't very active in the 70's and early 80's, thats when "Modern Rock" was born, but Heavy Metal is older than that, Metal started in the mid 60's.
----
17.08.2006 - 02:47
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by 4look4rd on 16.08.2006 at 23:31

metal wasn't very active in the 70's and early 80's

Please go to a bookstore and buy a book about the history of metal or something man before you post again
17.08.2006 - 08:14
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by 4look4rd on 16.08.2006 at 23:31

we gotta think what people was listening before the birth of metal....... Specially because metal wasn't very active in the 70's and early 80's, thats when "Modern Rock" was born, but Heavy Metal is older than that, Metal started in the mid 60's.

are you kidding me...not active in the 70's and early 80's...what do you think Judas Priest and Iron Maiden were playing...pop?
17.08.2006 - 17:24
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Quote:
Quote:

are you kidding me...not active in the 70's and early 80's...what do you think Judas Priest and Iron Maiden were playing...pop?

Not many people knew about metal, until Judas Priest and Maiden, so on.... Punk sene was on, and metal seen to be dead (WHAT WAS A FUCKING LIE!), OK i might be wrong in the years, I think it was in the early 70s =)
----
26.08.2006 - 16:44
Anathemani@c
I think that metal actually came of blues..Which came of rock...Although it is useless trying to find out things like this, because they will not help you in discovering anything else than .....
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
26.08.2006 - 16:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Anathemani@c on 26.08.2006 at 16:44

I think that metal actually came of blues..Which came of rock...Although it is useless trying to find out things like this, because they will not help you in discovering anything else than .....

What? I thought rock came from blues. And metal did not come from blues, rock sounds so much more metal than blues. Actually, blues doesn't sound like metal at all
----
26.08.2006 - 16:55
Anathemani@c
Written by Warman on 26.08.2006 at 16:51

What? I thought rock came from blues. And metal did not come from blues, rock sounds so much more metal than blues. Actually, blues doesn't sound like metal at all

Anyway, if things are not the way I'm saying.. What will you understand by searching this subject??? You will just
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
26.08.2006 - 16:59
RavenLord

Blues sprang up first, and influenced rock. Not the other way round.
----
27.08.2006 - 01:06
danzig111
Account deleted
what did metal come from if it didn't come from rock?
27.08.2006 - 02:31
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@danzig111: Maybe some heavier jazz bands? There is a lot of shuffle beats and rhythms in many metal bands these days...there are a lot of those galloping rhythms that come from swing too...there are a lot of metal bands that spawned in the 80s from rock bands that were focusing on creating a heavier gallowing swing rhyhtm in a rock format...funk is another genre where some metal artists found riffs and wondered if they could make that heavier too...so there really are a lot of genres besides rock that metal borrowed from...metal is really just a collaboration of so many genres throughout the 19th and 20th century being put into a heavier format riff and rhythm-wise...
20.09.2006 - 08:35
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
All music these days might be connected but there are a large number of people that don't know the connections too well...sure, all musical genres have roots in everything nowadays but this thread is based more on a rhetorical question that is open for discusion instead of 4look4rd actually coming in here with no answer...at least I hope so...

This thread is more for people outside looking into MS really...it seems like a topic that seems less fashioned to MSers who find the question obvious and well explained already at this point...

So....metal came from rock, blues, fusion and jazz....like Jesus_Puncher has implied, this thread no longer really needs to go on does it?
20.09.2006 - 13:36
Draklar
Account deleted
I think Metal music is as much sub-genre of rock music, as rock music is a sub-genre of blues music (Well it came from blues, so that's basically the same case).

The moment one form of music starts splitting to various genres, it becomes logical that it becomes its own musical style. Why?

Let's take a look at Heavy Metal. We have Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Doom Metal, Black Metal and more.
Now my question is: Why aren't those sub-genres called Power Rock, Thrash Rock, Death Rock, Doom Rock, Black Rock and so on?

Apparently there's an element of Heavy Metal music that encourages creation of such forms, which at the same time cannot be found in Rock music (stuff like heavy guitar distortion springs to mind).

If you'll put metal all together, you'll find sound which isn't connected with rock music in general strongly enough to consider metal its sub-genre. So Heavy Metal (the actual sub-genre) is very similar to rock music and it actually evolved from that form. So what? Rock didn't come from nothingness either. It evolved from blues music. In fact, elements of rock music can be found in blues as far as the beginning of 20th century. But even though we can clearly find blues elements in rock music, we don't call it sub-genre of blues, do we?
25.09.2006 - 04:26
Conemetal
Sorry guys, but at this point of the discussion I have to insist: "metal IS rock, metal is not a "sub-genre" of rock, is THE evolution of rock, is the most direct line of the rock evolution through hard rock" I began when I was 7 years old listening rock'n roll and since then I followed the evolution of rock, loving that music, and trying to go throug the most direct line, now I'm listening Death Metal Obviously, rock has his own roots and these are blues and jazz. This is my opinion.
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
25.09.2006 - 18:07
Tydirium
Account deleted
Metal is neither a sub-genre of rock, nor rock itself. Metal is only a harder
advancement of Hard Rock. It became faster and faster and one day there
was a kind a new style...
But I also have to admit that I do not like such discussions because Metal
can have a very different denotation to different people...
06.10.2006 - 11:28
Skald
Account deleted

- Metal came from rock, blues and classical music.
- Rock came from blues and R&B.
- R&B came from blues and jazz.
- Jazz came from blues and traditional African music.
- Blues came from traditional African music.

So in the end, metal came from traditional African music and classical music.
15.01.2007 - 12:55
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Guest on 06.10.2006 at 11:28

- Metal came from rock, blues and classical music.
- Rock came from blues and R&B.
- R&B came from blues and jazz.
- Jazz came from blues and traditional African music.
- Blues came from traditional African music.

So in the end, metal came from traditional African music and classical music.

So, lets concentrate on metal and forget about its TRUE origin, otherwise we might reach no-one-knows-where.
Metal might have evolved from other genre, but without the artist(who contributed to initiate metal)'s talent and innovativeness, metal wouldn't have existed.
Metal may/may not have connection to rock, we needn't bother.
----
that which shines without names and forms...