Metal Storm logo
Did Metal really come from Rock?

Original post

Posted by 4look4rd, 15.07.2006 - 04:48
I think Rock just had an influence of what Heavy Metal would be later, but in my opinion Metal is a totally new genere (not just a sub-genere) with its own characteristcs, way distinct from Rock. Even thou Hard Rock is very similar to Heavy Metal.
08.04.2007 - 13:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 06.04.2007 at 06:53

Written by BitterCOld on 05.04.2007 at 03:28

Metal is an evolution of rock and roll with hat tips to both the blues as well as classical music.

LOL at metalhead's trying to selectively prune the family tree...

LOL at "metalhead's" trying to make metal something it's not.

Like it not being Rock based with Blues and Classical influences? Like it being a brand new genre of music that just spawned from nothingness?

You mentioned Sabbath in your first post. Can you not hear either rock or blues influence on Iommi's guitar? Jebus, and I thought I had a tin ear...

Metal was a sharp and drastic evolution from rock and roll - but an evolution from it never the less.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.04.2007 - 04:32
Dan066
Account deleted
Written by UpTheIrons666 on 16.03.2007 at 22:51

"Did Metal really came from Rock?"

Did you ever WENT to SCHOOL?

Seriously though, I think the Rock that most influenced Metal was 70's Rock, i.e Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy etc. Ask any metal band that plays twin guitar harmonies who one of their main influences and they will almost definitely say Thin Lizzy or Wishbone Ash. There are many other influences as well such as the obvious Blues and Classical music.

Thank you. During the 60's and 70's rock started forming sub-genres such as punk, classic rock, and metal. Just look at the similarities between rock bands and metal bands. They use the same instruments, have simular vocals, and rock is the biggest influence on metal. Look at any source where they have information about metal and they will tell you it is a form of rock music. But hey, if you want to think that metal isn't a sub-genre go ahead, this is only my opinion.
18.04.2007 - 05:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
another thing is, with some bands there is a very thin line between metal and hard rock. You dont experience that with many other genres. like "Hmmm, Id say this is more classical than metal", yes I know there are some bands like that but not nearly as many as the bands closer to rock.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.04.2007 - 22:20
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Metal is definetly a sub genre of rock, and I honestly don't know how even the biggest metalhead can think differently. Just look at how extremely similair Hard Rock is to Heavy Metal, I've even heard that lots of people actualy refered to bands like Deep Purple and Alice Cooper as metal back in the 70's and 80's, and even today i've been told that people know bands like that as "classical metal"
25.09.2007 - 14:36
BrightNight
Blues and Rock became hard rock....and From these combinations also Evolved Heavy Metal. Combined with maybe some classical music background. Just look to Black Sabbath and you have your awnser.....

Bluesy rock became hard rock And some bands even a bit louder.....which is called Heavy Metal.

You really can make this very hard to awnser or very simpel. This is the simple version i think.

But i dont think it is right to go back to The beatles or The Rolling Stones.....Start with Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple.

I say Tony Iommi started it all. And for that ...yes Heavy Metal Came from "Rock" for the biggest part.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
27.09.2007 - 17:42
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
Metal simply didn't came from rock, but it is combination of many genre of music [like hard rock,rock,blues,classical]
27.09.2007 - 18:54
destroyah
supercharger
Elite
Written by Guest on 27.09.2007 at 17:42

Metal simply didn't came from rock, but it is combination of many genre of music [like hard rock,rock,blues,classical]

Man you just killed your own argument

I've been sitting here reading this topic for thirty minutes and I still don't understand what the hell are you people arguing about?
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
30.09.2007 - 04:46
selken
Irreligious
I agree with the orginal post, for example, rock come from blues, but rock is not a subgenre of blues, the same truth is for Metal, also, metal is so branched, that its impossible that all branches had something to do with rock
----
30.09.2007 - 16:38
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
Written by destroyah on 27.09.2007 at 18:54

Written by Guest on 27.09.2007 at 17:42

Man you just killed your own argument

I've been sitting here reading this topic for thirty minutes and I still don't understand what the hell are you people arguing about?

NO,.. hehee...I mean Metal came from various genre of music including rock.
30.09.2007 - 19:09
Too many fail.
Yeah, 60-70's rock bands i would say. However these rock bands were already quite far removed from the original rocknroll and alraedy had a wide variety of influences. If I remember correctly, It was Machine head by deep purple that had liner notes by richmore saying the biggest influence for his solos on that record was Bach, which is obviously pretty audible in tracks like highway star etc. Anyhow the point is that the "rock" music of the era was not so far removed from the early "real" metal bands like jpriest. It was a pretty smooth progress imo
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
30.09.2007 - 21:19
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by destroyah on 27.09.2007 at 18:54

Same here. I have a feeling this thread is useless and should be locked.
----
(space for rent)
30.09.2007 - 22:17
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
Written by selken on 30.09.2007 at 04:46

I agree with the orginal post, for example, rock come from blues, but rock is not a subgenre of blues, the same truth is for Metal, also, metal is so branched, that its impossible that all branches had something to do with rock

Sure Rock & Roll came from Blues but it was not only from it, it also came from country, folk, soul as well as some jazz and gospel, while Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, yet it has some other influences more than Rock & Roll, it follows the line of psicodelly/acid rock, late rock&roll, blues rock, etc

And well in my personal opinion, heavy metal is just a more radical hard rock, and it's not that metal come from rock, it's a part of it.
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
01.10.2007 - 00:32
selken
Irreligious
Written by Music4TheSpirit on 30.09.2007 at 22:17

Written by selken on 30.09.2007 at 04:46

Sure Rock & Roll came from Blues but it was not only from it, it also came from country, folk, soul as well as some jazz and gospel, while Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, yet it has some other influences more than Rock & Roll, it follows the line of psicodelly/acid rock, late rock&roll, blues rock, etc

And well in my personal opinion, heavy metal is just a more radical hard rock, and it's not that metal come from rock, it's a part of it.

but Metal is not only influenced by rock, there are many influencest too, Folk, Ambient, Electronic, Classical, etc. I'm not a rocker, I'm a metalhead, I hate when people say to me, ah you are rocker (a, tú eres rockero), rock is too soft!
----
01.10.2007 - 01:14
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
Written by selken on 01.10.2007 at 00:32

but Metal is not only influenced by rock, there are many influencest too, Folk, Ambient, Electronic, Classical, etc. I'm not a rocker, I'm a metalhead, I hate when people say to me, ah you are rocker (a, tú eres rockero), rock is too soft!

There have been rock bands influenced by those genres before metal, and metal is not influenced by rock, metal IS a (heavier) kind of rock.

Obviously rocker isn't the same as metalhead. And about the fact that people (in latin america at least) generalize metal as rock, though it's not the same is not wrong, and people just don't know about subgenres, same thing happen with punkers, goths, etc..
----
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
01.10.2007 - 09:43
Too many fail.
Written by Music4TheSpirit on 01.10.2007 at 01:14

metal is not influenced by rock, metal IS a (heavier) kind of rock.

Eh what? Ok metal is a "heavier kind of rock" fine, but obviously rock music had a huge influence on the developement of metal music, if you disagree you fail. simple as that. : )
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
01.10.2007 - 13:47
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
Written by Too many fail. on 01.10.2007 at 09:43

metal is not influenced by rock, metal IS a (heavier) kind of rock.

Eh what? Ok metal is a "heavier kind of rock" fine, but obviously rock music had a huge influence on the developement of metal music, if you disagree you fail. simple as that. : )

I agree and if you read on my previous post you'll see
Written by Music4TheSpirit on 30.09.2007 at 22:17

....while Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, yet it has some other influences more than Rock & Roll...

but in this case i was talking about the comparation on the relation between Blues & R&R, & between R&R & Metal.

It's obvious, I think, that a subgenre is in one way or another influenced by the main genre. But yea maybe i should have said that Metal is not only influenced by rock it's a part it, instead.
----
01.10.2007 - 13:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

and people just don't know about subgenres, same thing happen with punkers, goths, etc..

Thats a true, those whoare not in metal say blacker, doomeser, goth its a metalhead ok thay dont lie, but there are alot of diferencies in thos egenres even in dressic code, life style, religion, and so on but about metal and rock traditional metal(Accept, Iron maiden, Running Wild, Steel Angel) that genre are closer to rock, its like coisins
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.10.2007 - 14:38
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
THREAD OF THE YEAR ??

ROTFL stuff !!
13.10.2007 - 09:20
Sonsofsabbath
metal is the bastard child of rock.
10.12.2007 - 20:43
Momo
Account deleted
metal has a lot of influence from a lot of sources. one of them is rock, even though metal is not a subgenre of rock, because it has also an equal (or greater) amount of influnece from genres like blues, classical music, and in some cases folk music.
11.04.2008 - 19:18
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
I think metal comes mainly from a mix of rock and new wave (50/50)
So, I think it cannot be a subgenre of rock, for it would be as much a subgenre of new wave, and noone argues about that. Metal is just a new style with new influences and new senseless idiotery as clothing, behaviour and making groups.
11.04.2008 - 19:43
Tod_Engel
Saying metal isn't subgenre of rock? Musically it's similar, but is quite distinctive from rock nowadays. Metal as a music style (leaving out other things related to it) originates from 60's blues, hard and psychedelic rock. Nowadays it has become a bit complicated to categorize, because there are so many different influences.
20.04.2008 - 17:06
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
I think metal comes up when the rockers have some heavyset songs that have a satisfaction with them . becuz some rock band going to looklike country music and some of them that u know into hard genre
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
06.07.2008 - 23:15
Conservationist
Rock didn't even exist. The blues didn't either. Those are both repackaged versions of Celtic-Germanic folk country music from the USA, and total products.

Metal obviously isn't descended from rock. If you look at the theory beyond everything from Black Sabbath onward, you're looking at something yearning to escape rock, and it eventually did with black and death metal.

Rock music is for morons.
07.07.2008 - 15:10
rageing atheist
Account deleted
If you have never found any intelligent rock music then maybe it's because your head is buried too deep in your ANUS.

Oh, and no offense, but presenting revisionist viewpoints as hard fact, without citing any evidence, makes you look like a moron.
08.07.2008 - 00:00
Gordon Freeman
Is there a catagory for the "Most full of shit MetalStormer" on the yearly awards?

Because I'm thinking Conservationist is making a strong push for the #1 spot...
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
09.07.2008 - 19:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 11.04.2008 at 19:18

So, I think it cannot be a subgenre of rock, for it would be as much a subgenre of new wave, and noone argues about that. Metal is just a new style with new influences and new senseless idiotery as clothing, behaviour and making groups.

New Wave?

New Wave?!

Are you serious?

/boggle

New Wave?!

i am by no means a comprehensive font of endless metal knowledge, but i do listen to bands across a wide variety of subgenres. i have yet to hear a metal band that draws it's primary musical influence from Flock of Seagulls, Joe Jackson (Ok, Anthrax covered a song of his...), The Cure, or Adam and the Ants.

please provide me with some examples of metal bands whose influence stems from new wave bands.

as someone who grew up listening to 80's new wave, i eagerly await this.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.07.2008 - 20:31
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BitterCOld on 09.07.2008 at 19:30

The Cure

the cure were the original whine band so depressive black metal started with The Cure!!!

lol, new wave. black sabbath-metal was, bluntly, a mix between hard rock(Led Zeppelin, The Doors), psychedelic-experimental guitar-driven rock(Hendrix and that damn song by Iron Butterfly, In A Gadda Da Vida) and blues, nothing more. what it evolved in is another story, since you are asking 'did metal really come from rock?'

and the answer is: yes. you can clearly hear all the influences that Sabbath took on their first 2 albums, especially on songs like NIB or Behind the Wall of Sleep, the solo on Paranoid, which you only need to slow down and it turns into a blues lick or Planet Caravan, with it's obvious experimentation and psychedelica in the lyrics.
10.07.2008 - 15:29
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 09.07.2008 at 19:30

Written by Guest on 11.04.2008 at 19:18

New Wave?

New Wave?!

Are you serious?

/boggle

New Wave?!

i am by no means a comprehensive font of endless metal knowledge, but i do listen to bands across a wide variety of subgenres. i have yet to hear a metal band that draws it's primary musical influence from Flock of Seagulls, Joe Jackson (Ok, Anthrax covered a song of his...), The Cure, or Adam and the Ants.

please provide me with some examples of metal bands whose influence stems from new wave bands.

as someone who grew up listening to 80's new wave, i eagerly await this.

If metal wouldn't be influenced by new wave all these "cool metalguys" wouldn't be walking around with electric guitars and that kind of stuff. Without bands such as new wave I think there wouldn't even be metal.
10.07.2008 - 15:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 10.07.2008 at 15:29

If metal wouldn't be influenced by new wave all these "cool metalguys" wouldn't be walking around with electric guitars and that kind of stuff. Without bands such as new wave I think there wouldn't even be metal.

What kind of bollocks is this?
No electric guitars without new wave? My fucking God what the hell are you tripping on?
Hendrix, Clapton, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, MC5 etc all played electric guitar before there was even such a thing as new wave.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996