Metal Storm logo
What kind of metalhead are you at concerts?

Original post

Posted by BloodTears, 27.05.2009 - 12:03
This is meant to be funny and also it will be interesting to see where the majority lies. Also, a lot of people listen to metal and don't consider themselves metalheads, so I use that term as a general starting point, this is a metal forum after all.

I'll tell you, I'm a mix of the headbanger and the quiet listener. How about you?

Poll

What kind of metalhead are you at concerts?

The headbanger
The quiet listener
something else
The "I'm evil and you know it" dude
The badmouth spectator
The "I go there just to drink beer" dude

Total votes: 192
04.01.2010 - 19:55
You just put everything I am in the poll

The Headbanger - When I'm getting quite drunk and in a good mood.
The Quiet Listener - When I'm seeying a band I like for the first time, so I just like to enjoy the music and watch the band play.
The "I go there just to drink beer" dude - Well, not just to drink beer, but also I wouldn't go there if there wasn't no beer.
The "I'm evil and you know it" dude - Usually on festivals, in the mornings, when I feel like crap and some good band is playing quite early in the morning.
The Badmouth Spectator - When some band just pisses me off. Example: Finnish bands presuming that all Estonians must speak finnish. So they begin talking in finnish between songs and I can't understand it, so I begin yelling random finnish curse-words at them, even though the band is good .
05.01.2010 - 00:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Metalmorphosis on 04.01.2010 at 19:55

The Badmouth Spectator - When some band just pisses me off. Example: Finnish bands presuming that all Estonians must speak finnish. So they begin talking in finnish between songs and I can't understand it, so I begin yelling random finnish curse-words at them, even though the band is good .

lol i thought they only say "perkele", what other swear words would there be?

Written by jupitreas on 27.05.2009 at 17:47

Written by Valentin B on 27.05.2009 at 17:24

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.05.2009 at 16:09

Written by Valentin B on 27.05.2009 at 14:49

no, i haven't ever seen a club that sells ear plugs... honestly lol. i know a shop nearby though that sells stuff like those that help hearing for old people, could they have stuff like that too?

Why lol at the idea of a club selling earplugs?
Good chance such a shop as you mentioned sells them or else a shop that caters to people that work on assembly lines in noisy factories. Or else a music store that sells instruments (drums, guitars etc.)

i lol'd because i've never seen any club sells this stuff yet you consider that every club HAS to sell ear plugs, didn't even cross my mind once that the places with live music over in western europe have them on sale

You should at least always be able to find disposable ear-plugs in drugstores. They ought to gave the foam and silicon variety. Otherwise, if you really cant find ANYTHING, noise canceling canalphones can do the job, although they decrease noise levels only by roughly 20 dB (making a 100dB gig barely bearable at 80dB and the usual 110+dB metal gig still too loud.)

hmm.. weird. i now have foam earplugs, and if you shove them all the way in, you can still hear the band pretty clearly(yeah, bass and guitars are pretty balanced, the only thing i don't actually hear pretty clearly is the crash cymbal from the drumkit, that's all)...

the catch is, i did a test on the program called guitar rig, playing something and then playing with the volume controls to see when i can't hear anything without earplugs and when i can't hear anything with earplugs, and found out my earplugs only cancel 10 decibels, which is weird considering i have worn them to pretty much any band at various distances from the speakers and i've never experienced ear ringing after i used them.
05.01.2010 - 02:19
thesabbathfan
I have short hair, and headbanging feels awkward and hurts more with short hair so i dont do much...

so usually if i'm not moshing, then i'm the quiet listener.
----
05.01.2010 - 02:57
I_Die_Often
I'm too old to mosh now! It fuckin hurts!!!!!
I'm off to the side of the circle pit with the elbow up to take out strays from the swirling mass!
Or I will be up at the front until I hear my vertebra snapping!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
05.01.2010 - 06:54
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I am both a quiet listener and headbanger.

I usually enjoy watching and singing melodic bands and headbanging to extreme.
05.01.2010 - 07:43
Jan
Depends on the band and the crowd really...

If it's a favourite, where I know most songs, I often sing along and have a blast. But I'm to old to bother with getting close to the stage in most occasions - to much of a hassle and not worth the pain in most occasions.

If it is a band I don't know all that well, I am more of the quiet listening type. But most often with a beer at hand

(Last time I was moshing was when I was at the Anthrax reunion concert, it was not that well attended = plenty of space even close to the stage and as most of the moshers was skinny little boys, they sort of just bounced off me )
05.01.2010 - 11:03
Immortal
Depends who I go with and what's playing. If I'm on my own I usually just stand out and watch from a far but if I'm with a few mates I get a bit more into and smash the mosh pit up.
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
08.01.2010 - 01:09
Slayer666
Not that I've attended a lot of live gigs, but when I did, I headbanged so hard my neck was in pain the entire next day...
Good ol' times....
09.01.2010 - 04:44
Gordon Freeman
If there is a bar, that is where I'll be. Not necessarily to drink a whole lot though, that can get expensive.

At the right kind of show, the bar is the least crowded place and the best place to meet and greet the band members.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
03.07.2010 - 00:18
Sulac
I would mosh... But i have the muscle mass of a syphilitic llama and can't. So I quietly listen.
06.07.2010 - 04:23
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Headbanger, but I usually dive in the moshpit only for my favorite bands, cause I'm too intense to last for a whole show without loosing my head lol And I rarely drink, because I live 2 hours away from Montreal, the closest city big enough for bands to play there... And driving for two hours in the middle of the night while being drunk is probably the most stupid thing you can do.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
29.04.2011 - 02:04
Ghostdancer
I've headbanged so much and so hard that the vertebrae in my neck are curved backwards! I like to alternate between watching and listening and then headbanging. I'm too old for the pit these days. (Too bad. I used to love the pit!)
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
29.04.2011 - 02:21
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I headbang, mosh, and act like a general douche. Metal concerts are the most enjoyable parts of my life.
29.04.2011 - 03:03
Guib
Thrash Talker
Can't believe you put the Headbanger without putting the Violent Mosher !$# lol
cause thats just me

And seriously, the morning following a show is always A PAIN !!!!... ask my back, neck and shoulders, they'll tell you

P.S. btw, am I the only one here losing at least 1 or 2 beers each show, I mean you get rammed and you just feel it slip outta your hand
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
29.04.2011 - 04:22
Yasmine
Listener for sure.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
29.04.2011 - 11:07
Vivi'
I'm the quiet listener on the 1st row who jumps and headbangs a little.
29.04.2011 - 18:15
jazar94
I've yet to go to any concerts other than the country ones at the county fair, but I'd probably be the listener.
30.04.2011 - 00:16
Luneth
Account deleted
The Stoner and/or quiet listener.
30.04.2011 - 03:02
nana.MD
Star-Queen
I'm something between headbanger + quiet listener...mmm well not that quiet, it depends of the band and the song...sometimes I like to sing along, not screaming though
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
02.05.2011 - 16:42
Kennoth
'Headbanger'. I've always had short hair, so me headbanging is ridiculous and painful sight, so I prefer to constantly jump up/down while screaming the lyrics as much as I can.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
27.08.2011 - 13:24
A mix of a listener and a headbanger.
----
Heavy metal is the 666th element in the periodic table of mixology.
Heavy metal is the heaviest of the metals, even heavier than rock.
Here are the isotopes: Iron Maidenium - Panterium - King Diamondium - Hendrixium -
Megadethium - Sabbathium
27.08.2011 - 14:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
More like a nodder/foot tapper/teeth chomper whilst holding a pint kinda person, rather than a headbanger.
27.08.2011 - 15:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.08.2011 at 14:55

teeth chomper

What?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.08.2011 - 15:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.08.2011 at 15:17

Written by Guest on 27.08.2011 at 14:55

teeth chomper

What?

Do you never click your teeth to the time of drum beats?
27.08.2011 - 15:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.08.2011 at 15:18

Do you never click your teeth to the time of drum beats?

I have an afro-like hair, That takes more than enough of my concert-activity. If you've seen the Bewitched video where Messiah starts to headbang, it looks a bit like that.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.08.2011 - 15:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.08.2011 at 15:21

I have an afro-like hair, That takes more than enough of my concert-activity. If you've seen the Bewitched video where Messiah starts to headbang, it looks a bit like that.

Haha do you mean the doom dance? I'd like to see that.
27.08.2011 - 15:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.08.2011 at 15:23

Haha do you mean the doom dance? I'd like to see that.

I don't do the dancing, but yeah.. It's like that when it comes to the hair.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.08.2011 - 15:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.08.2011 at 15:35

I don't do the dancing, but yeah.. It's like that when it comes to the hair.

Dancing is awesome, you should try it EBM style
27.08.2011 - 15:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.08.2011 at 15:37

Dancing is awesome, you should try it EBM style

I would mind dancing to some Mind.in.a.box
Now that I think of it... I'm kind of pissed that Candlemass didn't play Bewitched back in Roadburn. I would have done the doomdance right there.
----
Rod, let me love you.
29.08.2011 - 00:02
IronAngel
I like to just trail off into my own word and move as the music moves me. It could be headbanging, it could be some kind of discreet mimicking of air guitar, or just strange convlusions to the beat which might be interpreted as dancing. I tend to have my eyes closed like half of the time (which kinda defeats the purpose of going out to see a band play, I guess!), and I like to sing along quietly, to myself. Unless it's a power metal band or something, in which case I'll sing as loud as I can (to the extent that I can still hit the right notes, anyway).

I'm usually not much of a cheering guy. Under some conditions, with the right kind of music, I may give into mob mentality. Usually it's a very personal experience for me, though, and I don't really feel like sharing it with the guy standing next to me.