Metal Storm logo
Favorite Acoustic Guitar Songs

Original post

Posted by Visioneerie, 28.05.2009 - 17:07
Everyone has their personal favorite acoustic songs that they enjoy listening to while taking a break from all the brutality and intensity our metal brains absorb everyday. Acoustic ballads can even inspire us musicians when we are drained of energy from playing all those physically and mentally demanding riffs, solos, SONGS !

So I'm asking you to post your favorite acoustic guitar songs right here without any restrictions as to what genre it falls into, as long as it's ... shit i don't know ... acoustic !

Patterns in the Ivy - Opeth (a good old minor key acoustic song accompanied with a great jazzy piano, doesn't last long but it truly has alot of feeling)

Trains - Porcupine Tree (another great relaxing song to lay back and listen to, beware the banjo in this song motherfuckers)

Ivich - Al Stewart (this one i've known through my dad who listens to this great guitarist quite often, this should send shivers down your spine, quite old material i think, 70's, 80's ?)

Three Hours - Nick Drake (practically a 7 minute long acoustic song, very good, another very talented guitarist)

[Untitled] - Pelican (well to bad this one doesn't have a name but a great one nonetheless, you all know Pelican for their very ambient and refreshing sound, so don't miss this one)

Mine is the Grandeur - Dark Tranquillity (truthfully this is on a nylon string (classical) guitar but i won't restrain myself from putting it here, because it's a great uplifting classical/folk acoustic piece)

Classical Gas - Mason Williams (i would hope that most of you know this one, what an inspirational piece of work it is, i like it better without the symphony)

The Mirror - Spooky Tooth (this is an old one also, that i warm up to on the acoustic guitar quite often)

These are all great songs to me and all of them should be taken into account. So there you have it, this should keep you busy as a listener or even as a guitarist, enjoy !

Throw me back some more acoustics and tell me what you think about these ones as well.
29.05.2009 - 15:09
Jan Destiny
My favourites are:
The Bard's song and Lord of The rings from Blind Guardian

Éjféli lány from Ossian (It's hungarian from the 80's)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV5mJTOD-Lc

and Közeli helyeken from Bikini (also hungarian, also from the 80's)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIGeHQsVD58
----
"Fiction is the truth inside the lie" (Stephen King)
29.05.2009 - 17:14
Dracius
My faves are...

Coil by Opeth (Watershed album)
Autumn's Monologue/The Fiction We Live by From Autumn To Ashes (The Fiction We Live album)
Angels Fall First by Nightwish (Angels Fall First Album)
29.05.2009 - 19:08
Warheart19
Well, I've chosen:

Opeth - Benighted
Amorphis - My Kantele (acoustic version)
Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night
29.05.2009 - 21:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Acid Bath - Bones Of Baby Dolls

I never though that acustic guitars could be THAT heavy... Heavier than a lot of electric guitarrs by a lot of extreme metal bandsa out there.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.05.2009 - 23:48
1 - Neuraxis - Momento
2 - Opeth - Windowpane
3 - At The Gates - Into The Dead Sky
30.05.2009 - 00:03
Duality
I don't know if all of these count but:

1 - Andy McKee : "For My Father"
2 - Ulver : "Honfjeldsbilde"
3 - Dream Theater : "Wait for Sleep"
4 - Opeth : "For Absent Friends"
5 - Extraction (Howe/Wooten/Chambers) : "A Delicacy"
----
"He who controls the past controls the future.
He who controls the present controls the past"
- George Orwell
30.05.2009 - 03:32
Mizer84
Account deleted
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - The River Flows Frozen (Acoustic Reprise); one of my all time favorites.
30.05.2009 - 04:56
Vanwarp
Jesse Cook - "Vamos", "Tempest", many more to choose from...(Rumba Flamenco vibe to die for!)

Newton Faulkner - "Dream Catch Me", "All I Got", and several others...(good indie flavored acoustic stuff)

Serena Ryder - "Weak in the Knees", and many more to choose from...(acoustic pop bliss)

Oliver Haze - "Homeless" (acoustic rock bliss that nobody has heard)

Bryan Adams - "On a day like today" or "I was only dreaming" (cause nobody performs an acoustic pop song quite like Bryan Adams does)

Zack Brown Band - "Highway 20 Ride" (cause I just had to include an acoustic country picking flavored track)

Into Eternity - "Buried in Oblivion" or "Morose Seclusion" (Metal band going all acoustic...Awesome!)

Seventh Wonder - "Tears for a Father" (Power Prog band stripping down to one acoustic guitar and one lead vocal - WOW!)
----
"Only sick music makes money today." Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844 - 1900)
30.05.2009 - 06:44
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
"Stephanie" by Buckingham Nicks
"Like A Sad Song" and "This Old Guitar" by John Denver
"Sleep" by Crack the Sky

"Wish You Were Here", "Fearless" and "Dogs" by Pink Floyd all have acoustic influences and I love all of them
"Burden In My Hand" by Soundgarden is awesome
"Trains" by Porcupine Tree
"Black Mountain Side" by Led Zeppelin I believe is acoustic and is an awesome little instrumental
"Crystal Ann" at the beginning of Annihilator's first album was always good
"Love 'Aint for Keeping" by The Who. AHH there are so many I'm sure I'm missing some others that I love, but the first three were the first ones that stood out for me.
----
30.05.2009 - 08:33
JackSyn
Opeth - Coil
Opeth - Benighted
Dream Theater - The Silent Man'
Blind Guardian - The Bard's Song

just off the top of my head now cant really remember them all but those are definitely my favorites
30.05.2009 - 18:20
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Nosurper on 30.05.2009 at 06:44

"Sleep" by Crack the Sky

Interesting list dude. I'll go for the first three you've mentioned since i've never heard of these artists.

edit - I can't say i'm to fond of John Denver's style, don't like the vocals, even the guitar is quite stale.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
30.05.2009 - 18:24
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Vanwarp on 30.05.2009 at 04:56

Jesse Cook - "Vamos", "Tempest", many more to choose from...(Rumba Flamenco vibe to die for!)

Sounds good, I'm listening to "Vamos" at the moment, not bad at all. I like as you've mentioned that Flamenco vibe, neat stuff, thanks.
edit - "Tempest" is even better, nice.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
30.05.2009 - 18:35
kkktookmybaby
I also choose patterns in the ivy by opeth, liked it so much that i learned it on guitar and it's one of my favorite songs to play.

also Forever by Kiss is one of my guilty pleasures
30.05.2009 - 19:29
Sellathurai
Bon Iver - Skinny Love
----
On The Wings of Euphoria...
30.05.2009 - 22:11
thaurer
I dont know if they ever put it on a cd, but i like Sonata Arctica's Shamandalie and Replica
WIsh you were here from Pink FLoyd
and of course, Guardian's "The bard's song"
also, master of the wind, manowar know how to make ballads when they want. xD

theres a few more, but these were the first ones to make a statement in my mind.
30.05.2009 - 22:12
Vanwarp
Written by Visioneerie on 30.05.2009 at 18:24

Written by Vanwarp on 30.05.2009 at 04:56

Sounds good, I'm listening to "Vamos" at the moment, not bad at all. I like as you've mentioned that Flamenco vibe, neat stuff, thanks.
edit - "Tempest" is even better, nice.

You Tube live performance of "Tempest":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHjLZeQ_mFw
----
"Only sick music makes money today." Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844 - 1900)
30.05.2009 - 23:31
peirateis
Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull!
Also, some of Apocalyptica's softer stuff like Ruska or Farewell is really nice, though it's not guitar. It's cello. Fields of Athenry - Dropkick Murphys isn't exactly acoustic, but it's pretty cool.
I also listen to some Cardigans and Jason Mraz every now and again, because I'm soo trendy. :B
31.05.2009 - 01:05
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by Visioneerie on 30.05.2009 at 18:20

Written by Nosurper on 30.05.2009 at 06:44

"Sleep" by Crack the Sky

Interesting list dude. I'll go for the first three you've mentioned since i've never heard of these artists.

edit - I can't say i'm to fond of John Denver's style, don't like the vocals, even the guitar is quite stale.

Yeah, I can understand the John Denver thing. His music is very straightforward and simple, however I sort of have some personal connection to his music with my past, so thats what gets me a lot with his stuff. I really do love "This Old Guitar" though, it has a simplistic beauty about it. The other two I really enjoy as well. "Sleep" has clever lyrics and the small inclusions of flute and strings give the song an atmospheric feel, kind of like "Wish You Were Here" does, only it may even be better than that Pink Floyd acoustic song is....maybe. That's really a great song though, you might even find yourself meditating on your dreams and thoughts while listening to it. You gotta love Crack the Sky, REALLY underrated band, especially their first three albums. Let me know if you enjoyed the other two.
----
31.05.2009 - 10:03
Hellkommando
I've always liked the accoustic version of Glycerine by Bush
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
31.05.2009 - 16:35
ioannisk
First of all anything from tenacious d should be here
but seriously:
Maybe? from green carnation's last awesome accoustic album
x and the glow of the flames from poisonblack's live performance
my last stand from walls of jericho
are some of my favorite accoustic tracks..
01.06.2009 - 00:37
A few of my favourites, in abc order (Not all of them only acoustic, some of them have both acoustic and electric parts, but acouctic guitar dominates in all.):
Death - Voice Of The Soul
Death Angel - A Room With A View
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Testament - Musical Death (A Dirge)
Testament - The Ballad
01.06.2009 - 00:41
Oh I nearly forget two very important songs:
Amorphis - My Kantele (acoustic version)
Pantera - Planet Caravan (Black Sabbath cover)
01.06.2009 - 17:29
Glabrezu
No doubt.

Blind Guardian - The Bard's Song
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
01.06.2009 - 18:04
Mull666
1: Intermezzo Liberté - Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant
2: Mine Is The Grandeur... - Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
3: The Wanderer - Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
4: The Jesters Dance - In Flames - The Jester Race
5: Hours Of Wealth - Opeth - Ghost Reveries
6: Windowpane - Opeth - Damnation
02.06.2009 - 06:01
Firewalker
Opeth-Harvest
Anekdoten - The War is Over
Porcupine Tree - Trains
Paco de Lucia - Entre dos Aguas

and more...
02.06.2009 - 12:36
Hamird
Lieutenant
Opeth's harvest is great.
In addition I like all songs in MTV Unplugged in New York by Nirvana.
02.06.2009 - 13:20
Wakanaboo
All clapton, zakk wylde, paco de lucia and al di meola acoustic songs. period.
----
_bleh!_
02.06.2009 - 23:38
Bleak
Account deleted
My fav. songs are:
Opeth_Bleak
Evergrey_Broken wings
03.06.2009 - 11:32
Lirion
Here we go...
April Ethereal - July Afternoon
Agalloch - The Lodge
In Slumber - Outcast
Natan - Mijn Lot
Sólstafir - Náttfari
Drudkh - Чому Буває Сумне Сонце (Why the Sun Becomes Sad)
:Of the Wand and the Moon: - Megin Runar
Tenhi in general
Butterfly Temple - Берегиня
October Falls - Marras (...is an album, but there's no definite favourite for me. Yet.)
Primordial - An Aistear Deireanach (proclaimed as "On Aistear Deirneach")
Schandmaul - Blechpfeiferl

Windir - Likbør (the version performed by Weh, on"Valfar, ein Windir")
Bardic - Der Erde Kinder
Cruachan - The Morrigan's Call
Faun - Königin
Primordial - Dark Song
Týr - Ormurin Langi

...the latter six having real vocals. Thought I could name them as well.
----
Fashion is the uniform of civilians.
-- Werner Mitsch
04.06.2009 - 07:24
greg_lecter
Fav. Songs:

Green Carnation - 9-29.045
Anathema - Regret
Opeth - Windowpane