Metal Storm logo
Overlooked classic albums.

Original post

Posted by -tom-, 10.07.2009 - 18:52
Name some albums that you think are truly excellent but seem to have been forgotten. Keep it to albums from 1999 or before.

Main one for me is Obtained Enslavement - Centuries of Sorrow. Often comparable to Gorgoroth's Antichrist but came out two years earlier. More epic and adventurous than 'Antichrist' but not as memorable. Fantastic album though. This band seems to be overlooked and even when they are mentioned people seem to be more interested in the second and third albums but the first one is fantastic.

Any more?
21.07.2009 - 23:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by -tom- on 21.07.2009 at 23:11

Written by Bad English on 18.07.2009 at 01:21

Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream

This is one of the most well known death metal albums ever. Hardly overlooked.
:S

Well maybe, but I just give examples, because there many such albums many bands recoredet 1-2 good albums n gone, so its not possible name all
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.07.2009 - 23:34
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by -tom- on 21.07.2009 at 23:11

Written by Bad English on 18.07.2009 at 01:21

Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream

This is one of the most well known death metal albums ever. Hardly overlooked.
:S

Doesn't mean it isn't overlooked. To me an overlooked album is one that isn't considered a classic throughout metal as a whole. The album may be a classic on the death scene but maybe not on the metal scene as a whole. If you ask a metal fan which death bands are a must they're more likely to say Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Morbid Angel and the likes. Other bands like Dismember or the above mentionned Entombed won't necessarily be mentionned. It's like melo death metal, bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy and co. are common knowledge but one may consider a band like At the Gates to be overlooked as they are just as important to the creation of the genre but not as known on the metal scene as a whole.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
22.07.2009 - 01:57
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
By that logic almost anything can be overlooked.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
24.07.2009 - 13:44
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Adding another one: Visceral Evisceration - Incessant Desire for Palatable Flesh.

Awesome melodic doom. Really catchy riffs and kind of a heavy metal feel at times. One of my all time favourite albums. Their demo tape from 1995 (where they changed their name to 'As I Lay Dying' strangely) is the only thing I'm still desperate to get hold of. Pretty much cleared my wantlist apart from that.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
24.07.2009 - 13:57
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Just thought of another one, Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos. It was released in 2002 so was somewhat lost in between over releases such as Versus the World, Wages of Sin, Damnage Done or Reroute to Remain. Natural Born Chaos in a very well worked album with wvery catchy tracks from start to finish and it is also in my opinion Soilwork's best work.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
24.07.2009 - 14:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Haddonfield on 24.07.2009 at 13:57

Just thought of another one, Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos. It was released in 2002 so was somewhat lost in between over releases such as Versus the World, Wages of Sin, Damnage Done or Reroute to Remain. Natural Born Chaos in a very well worked album with wvery catchy tracks from start to finish and it is also in my opinion Soilwork's best work.

You can clearly recognize Devin Townsend's influence/hand on this album. And this album has one of the best opening songs ever "Follow the Hollow"
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.07.2009 - 14:11
Njord
njord
Written by Haddonfield on 16.07.2009 at 20:59

I think Testament's The Legacy is overlooked, it's a thrash classic and an amazing debut album.

I agree.. tremendous album, almost a revolution
27.07.2009 - 15:06
JAGEagent
Adramelch - Broken History
27.07.2009 - 17:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
The first two lbums by Napalm Death are fucking awesome... They are well known but I think they deserve even more atention.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.07.2009 - 04:23
Njord
njord
I just listened Coroner - No More Color and I'm absolutely stunned!

Amazing album, almost at the same level of Death
29.07.2009 - 10:34
davidharris
Account deleted
Mortician - Hacked Up For Barbeque
29.07.2009 - 10:43
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Njord on 29.07.2009 at 04:23

Have you listened to other albums of theirs? All discography is worth checking out.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.07.2009 - 11:49
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by K✞ulu on 29.07.2009 at 10:43

Written by Njord on 29.07.2009 at 04:23

Have you listened to other albums of theirs? All discography is worth checking out.

I keep saying this over and over ....

Coroner's album "GRIN" is the ultimate for techno-thrash, progmetsl, industrial sound EVER. A grounding breaking yet triumphant release for the swiss metal gods!
----
rekt
30.07.2009 - 14:37
Njord
njord

Written by tea[m]ster on 29.07.2009 at 11:49

Coroner's album "GRIN" is the ultimate for techno-thrash, progmetsl, industrial sound EVER. A grounding breaking yet triumphant release for the swiss metal gods!

You guys are absolutely right, Coroner deserves all respect and worths to be compared with the greatest like Slayer, Death or Kreator.

Grin is even better than No More Color, it's like Death revived into another band..
30.07.2009 - 14:48
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Njord on 30.07.2009 at 14:37

Written by tea[m]ster on 29.07.2009 at 11:49

You guys are absolutely right, Coroner deserves all respect and worths to be compared with the greatest like Slayer, Death or Kreator.

Grin is even better than No More Color, it's like Death revived into another band..

Never had that comparison enter my mind. You mean Schuldiner's band?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

30.07.2009 - 15:12
Njord
njord
Written by K✞ulu on 30.07.2009 at 14:48

Of course mate. The sound is very similar to Symbolic and late Death's albuns
30.07.2009 - 16:28
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Njord on 30.07.2009 at 15:12

Written by K✞ulu on 30.07.2009 at 14:48

Of course mate. The sound is very similar to Symbolic and late Death's albuns

This would mean that it's Death who sounded like Coroner. I will listen to Grin once again and tell you what I think.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

31.07.2009 - 13:57
Njord
njord
Written by K✞ulu on 30.07.2009 at 16:28

This would mean that it's Death who sounded like Coroner. I will listen to Grin once again and tell you what I think.

It's hard to understand who was influenced... Coroner follows their own way till Grin in 1993, the same year of Death's Individual Thought Patterns. Symbolic is in 1995, so it's posible that Schuldiner was influenced by Coroner... who knows?
04.08.2009 - 10:43
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Njord on 31.07.2009 at 13:57

It's hard to understand who was influenced... Coroner follows their own way till Grin in 1993, the same year of Death's Individual Thought Patterns. Symbolic is in 1995, so it's posible that Schuldiner was influenced by Coroner... who knows?

Well, I listened to Grin once again and I just don't see any resemblance at all... just two different styles really. Coroner's riffs don't sound like Death at; neither do the solos.

EDIT

The only new thing about Grin for me is that I started to love it even more. Seriously... what an amazing album! It somehow stood in Mental Vortex's shadow for such a long time for me... but after yesterday's listen I totally fell in love with it.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.08.2009 - 10:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 04.08.2009 at 10:43

Written by Njord on 31.07.2009 at 13:57

Well, I listened to Grin once again and I just don't see any resemblance at all... just two different styles really. Coroner's riffs don't sound like Death at; neither do the solos.

I couldn't hear any similarities either. Listened to both of them last weekend due to the posts in this thread and because I hadn't listened to both bands for a quite a while
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.08.2009 - 15:46
Njord
njord
I see similarities.. maybe it's because I don't follow too much technical death/trash so my knowledge of the genre is a little low, but when I listen "The Lethargic Age" I see something close to Symbolic.. I guess it's something I can't explain very well.

Anyway, it's good if my posts contributed for some re-listening of both bands (Death and Coroner)
08.08.2009 - 07:12
Derwood
Dio - Sacred Heart

For my money, it's far better than the much more lauded Holy Diver and has my absolute favourite song his - Just Another Day.

I will be trotting out the Coroner later, though.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
08.08.2009 - 07:28
wormdrink414
Elite
I'm not entirely sure if it has been overlooked but Anthrax's Among the Living is a superb thrash album and deserves to be with the likes of Master of Puppets, Peace Sells and Reign in Blood as one of the quintessential thrash albums of the 80s.
08.08.2009 - 13:13
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by wormdrink414 on 08.08.2009 at 07:28

I'm not entirely sure if it has been overlooked but Anthrax's Among the Living is a superb thrash album and deserves to be with the likes of Master of Puppets, Peace Sells and Reign in Blood as one of the quintessential thrash albums of the 80s.

It is considered that, isn't it? I always thought that Among the Living was one of 5 or so main albums from 80s.
----

Read Watchmen.
08.08.2009 - 13:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by wormdrink414 on 08.08.2009 at 07:28

Liek -tom- said it is already considered that, whereas imo Spreading The Disease should be mentioned in the same breath as those three little ditties.
IMO Spreading The Disease is Anthrax's best and not Among The Living which although featuring the clssaic cut INdians is far less memorable and way too lsicmk at times when comparing it to Spreading The Disease
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.08.2009 - 18:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
In my humble opinion I think that Therion's "Lepaca Kliffoth" and "Symphony Masses: Ho Drakon Ho Megas" are overlooked, specially by the fans of the band... Because most of them are just fans of the more symphonic stuff. But damn... This two albums are brilliant and fresh.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.08.2009 - 19:44
VPeter
Winter - Into Darkness
Great Death Doom with a typical USA Death groove to it, shame they only made one album.
08.08.2009 - 20:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by VPeter on 08.08.2009 at 19:44

Winter - Into Darkness
Great Death Doom with a typical USA Death groove to it, shame they only made one album.

But is it overlooked? Maybe to the major of metal listeners who have no understanding of truly influential death doom. But anyone worth their salt in the doom scene (and then especially death doom) does hail the Winter full-length as a true classic.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.08.2009 - 22:24
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Both Toxik albums are seriously overlooked. I never see anyone mentioning them besides like two other users here

I also gotta mention Feed the Beast by Bonded by Blood. I've heard them mentioned a little bit, mostly because they're new, but that album is my favorite piece of thrash in probably over a decade.
08.08.2009 - 22:59
VPeter
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.08.2009 at 20:47

Written by VPeter on 08.08.2009 at 19:44

Winter - Into Darkness

But is it overlooked? Maybe to the major of metal listeners who have no understanding of truly influential death doom. But anyone worth their salt in the doom scene (and then especially death doom) does hail the Winter full-length as a true classic.

Yes it is overlooked, most people only know of old Anathema, My Dying Bride and old Paradise Lost when talking about Death/Doom.