Metal Storm logo
Spotify Playlists

Original post

Posted by IronAngel, 15.07.2009 - 20:52
I suppose this could also go to General Music, but since I'm mainly interested in your metal feedback..

For those who use Spotify and know your way around metal, how would you like to make and post some playlists for others to listen to? Spotify's seIection is pretty limited when it comes to small releases, but it should work out well enough.

Personally, I have nothing finished that would appeal to most metalheads (unless Kate Bush, Tori Amos and Bat For Lashes floats your boat!), so I can't contribute anything right now.

I was hoping some doom metal experts would compile an "Essential Doom" playlist, since I'm lately very much into doom but am having a hard time finding new artists. Or, you know, do whatever you want. Think of this as one of those "Make your Essential Metal Compilation" topics, but with the difference that you can actually let others listen to them with ease, and you can create several thematic playlists. Ready? Go!
02.03.2012 - 18:26
FOOCK Nam
Nobody mentions DOOM:VS ? I would suggest...
23.03.2012 - 19:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I was initially rather sceptical about Spotify's doom content but I've been scouring the past couple of days and my mind has changed a lot, there's a shitload of great content on there. I've managed to get my Doom List up to 92 individual artists (over 800 tracks) of awesome stuff, not crap that I could just chuck on there for the sake of it. Will endeavour to get it up to 100.
23.03.2012 - 20:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.03.2012 at 19:53

Nice list. Might check out something from that someday, some of them already starred though (which is my "listen to these someday" method). #93 could be, for example, Hamferd - Vilst Er Síðsta Fet, which is also spotified, if happen to like.

I know someone locally who's been touting Hamferd. I've ignored him because he's into a lot of dodgy folk metal but I see they have nothing to do with that. I shall make it number 93 (94 actually, I found something else since making that post). Cheers.
24.03.2012 - 02:11
IronAngel
Don't know how you feel about them, but there's some Griftegård, Mar de Grises, Runemagick and Pagan Altar on Spotify, to name a few of my favorites. I also rather liked last year's Pantheist. And Paradise Lost of course, but you probably omitted them on purpose.
24.03.2012 - 03:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
My spotify playlists are a mess. i created a couple, but they are mixes of a wide swath of music i dig... but after my pc melted, it's caused problems where songs on playlists that spotify actually carries (as opposed to tracks i have locally) don't play. shit like Kyuss. annoys me to no end. I almost wish i could wipe virtually all of it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.03.2012 - 06:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 24.03.2012 at 03:21

My spotify playlists are a mess. i created a couple, but they are mixes of a wide swath of music i dig... but after my pc melted, it's caused problems where songs on playlists that spotify actually carries (as opposed to tracks i have locally) don't play. shit like Kyuss. annoys me to no end. I almost wish i could wipe virtually all of it.

Really? That's weird. I thought stuff that's on Spotify stays accessible on Spotify. I noticed greyed out stuff on your lists, stuff which is definitely not Spotifiable from what I gather (I was never sure if stuff added from own collection appears to other people, I now know it does) remains greyed out. Everything seems accessible that should accessible... Spotify is bizarre though. I can't find Earth's 'The Bees...' album on my girlfriend's laptop AT ALL, no matter what I search for, yet it's streamable on mine (minus two songs). And someone on my Facebook was listening to Cannibal Corpse's 'Kill' album, which is supposedly unavailable to me. That I cannot explain.
24.03.2012 - 10:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by IronAngel on 24.03.2012 at 02:11

I also rather liked last year's Pantheist.

Almost not doom at all any more but a very enjoyable album indeed, and live it works even better.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2012 - 11:56
IronAngel
Written by Guest on 24.03.2012 at 06:25

Spotify is bizarre though. I can't find Earth's 'The Bees...' album on my girlfriend's laptop AT ALL, no matter what I search for, yet it's streamable on mine (minus two songs). And someone on my Facebook was listening to Cannibal Corpse's 'Kill' album, which is supposedly unavailable to me. That I cannot explain.

You sure you don't have that album locally? They have the album information so local tracks appear as if the album was there, and at least my Spotify adds local stuff automatically (because I've checked a box or something).

What's frustrating is that they remove tons of albums after a while. And nowadays they want to hide it too. They used to stay on the playlists, grayed out, but now the songs disappear altogether. So I might forget about some album entirely and never notice it's gone. What's more, sometimes they come back but don't reappear on the playlists, so I don't even know to search for them again.
24.03.2012 - 16:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 24.03.2012 at 11:56

You sure you don't have that album locally? They have the album information so local tracks appear as if the album was there, and at least my Spotify adds local stuff automatically (because I've checked a box or something).

What's frustrating is that they remove tons of albums after a while. And nowadays they want to hide it too. They used to stay on the playlists, grayed out, but now the songs disappear altogether. So I might forget about some album entirely and never notice it's gone. What's more, sometimes they come back but don't reappear on the playlists, so I don't even know to search for them again.

Ha, I actually hadn't considered that. I was going by what appears on Facebook. I just assumed only albums on Spotify appeared on there. I didn't realise they keep details of albums that aren't necessarily on there. Spotify is a bit of a mess at times.
24.03.2012 - 16:48
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Since I am in India from past uhm 6-7 months, Spotify doesn't work out here. Shit as fuck as my fat pregnant' pig's biggest beef liver I am really disappointed not able to share my spotify playlist out here.
24.03.2012 - 16:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 24.03.2012 at 16:48

Shit as fuck as my fat pregnant' pig's biggest beef liver I am really disappointed not able to share my spotify playlist out here.

I don't know what the hell that means but I'm quoting you on it
24.03.2012 - 17:02
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 24.03.2012 at 16:56

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 24.03.2012 at 16:48

Shit as fuck as my fat pregnant' pig's biggest beef liver I am really disappointed not able to share my spotify playlist out here.

I don't know what the hell that means but I'm quoting you on it

Well, i am curious to share my playlist but argh i won't be able to do that. Spotify doesn't work here in India. But, as far as my "shit.......liver" is concerned, that was my random anger on some spurious words.
24.03.2012 - 17:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 24.03.2012 at 17:02

Well, i am curious to share my playlist but argh i won't be able to do that. Spotify doesn't work here in India. But, as far as my "shit.......liver" is concerned, that was my random anger on some spurious words.

Hopefully Spotify should reach there at some point. I thought you lived in the UK anyway?
24.03.2012 - 17:25
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 24.03.2012 at 17:20

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 24.03.2012 at 17:02

I thought you lived in the UK anyway?

I live there only. I'm doing job in India, making myself out of it asap and will move to UK soon.
12.04.2012 - 02:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
2012 releases playlists are coming along nicely. Shame you can't see the albums I've added to them that aren't actually on Spotify:

Metal
Non-Metal
12.02.2013 - 15:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
2013 metal playlist

Basically everything metal related I can find on Spotify.
12.02.2013 - 18:00
IronAngel
Here's mine for all you non-Joes who haven't subscribed to it. It's just all genres together. I've been a bit selective, and kept stuff I haven't added to my lists (still appraising, or not good enough) at the top.

Moved all post-rock from my big "art music" list to a separate list. It was getting big, but this list is fairly incomplete. It's got most of the best names, but the mediocre picks are fairly random since I just copied the stuff from previous lists.
05.12.2013 - 21:20
I realize this topic is pretty much dead, but I've become addicted to Spotify recently and I like the idea of sharing playlists.

Two ones I've been working on recently:
Power, Melodic and Symphonic Metal
My Winter Playlists (everything dark, atmospheric, gloomy)

Also this one is quite elaborated, though mainly non-metal.

I have a couple more, including best-of-the-year lists, just check my profile.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
06.12.2013 - 14:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have a spotiffy I havnt log in 4 months, and they offer me free version vip something 4 months trial
I didnt accept, well I dont use it I dont make play lists 80% of songs are at YT and I DO LISTNEN recoreds, full albums not sopme play lists, I dont like such play lists its anoying diferent styles , bands, periods, etc, outside of home my mp3 player one album at the time, it means I write in one album and listen it, same I do at home but at home more new songs at MS news, YT songs, bandcamp, soundcloud, when I am dealing whit new discover bands, and I am sceptic aganst play lists
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.12.2013 - 04:15
Doge of Venice
31.05.2014 - 01:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Not my playlist, but anyone who's interested in stuff from this year (metal wise anyway) need not look any further than this guy's. Seriously exhaustive and lots of good stuff on it.

http://open.spotify.com/user/patrozoo/playlist/5MplU54xHV8CpP8hyQMFNk
18.06.2014 - 14:20
Plenty of great stuff on this topic!
I have been working on some fairly short and tremendously subjective best-of-lists the past four months (I'm a recent Spotify addict as well). The aim is to keep these lists under continual improvement whilst keeping them concise. This is my first post here, so be gentle. My humble best-of lists thus far:
11.09.2014 - 20:44
Spotify recently added a Metal category, and I'd really like to see some decent stuff in there.

I offer to follow anyone 'back' who starts to follow one of mine:

Traveler In Time - Power and Symphonic Metal
Modern Metal & Genuine Blasting - Melodeath, Metalcore a.o.
DOOOOOOOOM - yeah, with that many 'O's
1/2 Pig - anything fast or extreme
Classic & Retro Heavy Metal
Mammoth Tracks

I appreciate any help
----
12.09.2014 - 00:13
Wukk
My turn. I won't post all the subgenre-based ones because it seems like they've already been done and they're more expansive than mine. Also, I'm really anal about Last.fm tags so there's loads of otherwise good stuff missing from these :x

A big fat list (read: 6000+) of everything I ever find myself wanting to listen to. Sorting alphabetically is highly recommended.

Christian metal. All styles.

'Fun metal'. A pretty loose theme, but you should have an idea of what to expect from the title.

A collection of novelties, just because. If you come here expecting metal, you will be sorely disappointed.

The greatest playlist you will ever hear. I guarantee it.

A videogame-based playlist, containing music that I think could fit into a videogame, covers of actual videogame music... and fantasy power metal (might remove that last category). Needs some work, as you'll be able to tell from the unusual choices.

I suppose you'd call this a playlist of 'metal hymns'. I made this like four or five years ago and have hardly touched it since.

Underground stuff (some more so than others) that I don't think many people know about. Who knows, you might find something you like.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
12.09.2014 - 21:26
Nice stuff there, thank you

I agree, simple "single subgenre" lists are done too often and tend to get dull. I rather mix different stuff together. I forgot to post one of my favorites, it's a mix of various 'darker' stuff and some non-metal tracks. Appropriate for cold autumn evenings. -> Dying Daylights
----
22.09.2014 - 17:03
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
"Life Soundtrack"
http://open.spotify.com/user/paulofigueiredo69/playlist/4PR3xLVQD9fO5bjBXt1kj6

Basically it's a huge playlist of songs i really like from all genres.
12.11.2016 - 21:07
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Psyko sent me here.

Yeah, I am definitely planning a youtube playlist. Its in the works, stay tuned!

As for Spotify, I have no idea as the last time I checked it was unavailable in India so haven't bothered with it since. Maybe Cynic could chip in and help me here.
13.11.2016 - 03:50
Ganondox
Written by 3rdWorld on 12.11.2016 at 21:07

Psyko sent me here.

Yeah, I am definitely planning a youtube playlist. Its in the works, stay tuned!

As for Spotify, I have no idea as the last time I checked it was unavailable in India so haven't bothered with it since. Maybe Cynic could chip in and help me here.

If I can post a youtube playlist I'm just going to post my favorites list as right now I'm too lazy to assemble a more specific list.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=FLH8wirhQN2P-lA3AwAicIcA

Right now there isn't much metal in the top though.
13.11.2016 - 04:53
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Ganondox on 13.11.2016 at 03:50

If I can post a youtube playlist I'm just going to post my favorites list as right now I'm too lazy to assemble a more specific list.

No mathcore in it? lol.

Just kidding bruh, cool one. Glad to see some japanese anime soundtracks there. And yeah the thread that was locked did indeed have non-spotify playlists so I'm gonna spam this thread as well with them.
13.11.2016 - 08:39
Ganondox
Written by 3rdWorld on 13.11.2016 at 04:53

Written by Ganondox on 13.11.2016 at 03:50

No mathcore in it? lol.

Just kidding bruh, cool one. Glad to see some japanese anime soundtracks there. And yeah the thread that was locked did indeed have non-spotify playlists so I'm gonna spam this thread as well with them.

There is some Rolo Tomassi and Dillinger Escape Plan much further down if that counts for anything.