06. Non-Human Era
07. Dark Matter Dimensions
08. Sculptor Void
09. A Parenthesis In Eternity
10. Frequency-Shifter
11. Radiant Strain
12. Pariah [limited Digipak bonus]
13. The Consciousness Eaters [edit version] [Japanese bonus]

Throughout the history of Rock there have many bands that have lost their amazing lead vocalist and replaced him (or her) while continuing to be successful. Van Halen did it. AC/DC did it. Genesis did it. Black Sabbath did it. Can Scar Symmetry do it?

Last year Christian Älvestam left the popular Swedish band due to creative differences. I cried for days because of that. OK, I didn't really cry, but I was saddened by that fact. While Scar Symmetry's music was above average Gothenburg Metal, it was Älvestam's vocals that I went crazy for. His modern guttural growl was juxtaposed with his soaring classic Heavy Metal voice. What more, the vocal melodies he wrote were really solid and memorable.

So getting back to my original question: Can Scar Symmetry make another solid album after losing it's fantastic vocalist. Sadly the answer is 'no'. I really hate to say it, but this is just a bad album. Christian Älvestam has been replaced by not one but two vocalists, who each have their own parts (growls and clean vocals). Is it me, or does that just seem really pathetic? Could Scar Symmetry not find a vocalist who could do both? What is worst is that Älvestam was better at both singing and growling than either of these guys.

On top of all of that, the music is boring. The great catchy melodies that used to fill their past records are gone. We're now left with an empty shell of what the band used to be, and it sounds that way; hollow. The drummer comes across as a uninspiring Mike Portnoy wannabe and the guitarists just rehash the same old rifts we've heard for years. The songs all follow the same basic formula that has been done a hundred times in Gothenburg Metal and not a single one sticks out. What more, the album is so over produced I thought I was listening to Static-X.

This is without a doubt the biggest let down of the year. I really wish I could find something positive to say about this album but I just can't. If this is your first introduction to the band, I feel sorry for you. If your a fan of their other work, I wouldn't even recommend this. Where their past albums had the feel of an over the top 80's action film, this is the cheesy comedy follow up.

Written on 20.10.2009 by Dane hails from Asheville, NC which is Beer City, USA. When he is not drinking various craft and micro brews, Dane fronts the Stoner Doom Metal band, The Quick. He also has a massive collection of Hellboy comic books.

Guest review by
Aebsi
Rating:
We all know Älvestam has departed and was a big part of the Scar Symmetry overall trademark sound (like it should be with all vocalists). Two vocalists Robert Karlsson and Lars Palmqvist have filled in the vacant spot. The last SS album wasn't great but it wasn't that bad either and even a slight disappointment when compared to the one before.

Read more ››
published 14.04.2010 | Comments (5)

Comments

Comments: 89   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 415 users
20.10.2009 - 21:01
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Stop whining..and what ur saying is rubbish anyway...ur basing this purely on your sour grapes that Alvestam left. They havent declined musically...

For any of those who want a diplomatic version of what the album is actually like check
http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=7256
20.10.2009 - 21:07
HBrandr
Account deleted
Interesting... just a day after my review on Dark Matter Dimensions and you're opinion is the complete opposite. The album is in no way 'over produced' - how can you even compare that to a Static-X record?? Glad I wouldn't know how they compare.

The only thing a little flawed with this record is the vocal melodies, the instruments sound like their past material and in no way resembles 'Gothenburg Metal' - everything heavy and melodic from Sweden doesn't automatically make it a charateristic of 'Gothenburg Metal'.

These 11 songs are full of engergy and if you want to listen to Christian Älvestam's voice, go listen to their first three records - this album is not bad at all!
20.10.2009 - 21:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Great review, I absolutely agree with every single point made. Especially on the point of it being over produced. This one is so slick sounding that all dynamics and possible rough edges have gone.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2009 - 22:13
HBrandr
Account deleted
'Great review, I absolutely agree with every single point made. Especially on the point of it being over produced. This one is so slick sounding that all dynamics and possible rough edges have gone. '

Great review? 'The music is boring', 'The great catchy melodies that used to fill their past records are gone'.... not really informed, the melodies are so evident on this record it's not even funny.

What's the problem with slick production if the sound compliments their music? Use the top notch equipment and sound modules - why not?! It doesn't have to sound more 'rough around the edges'... that's just a matter of opinion and obviously the sound you like.

You either like Scar Symmetry or you don't... the music hasn't changed much at all, it's just better produced and now there are two vocalists instead of one - and only the vocals sections have changed... if you had Älvestam singing on this album I'm sure everyone's opinion would be different.

Holographic Universe and Pitch Black Progress was different to their first record, but their was no objections then...
20.10.2009 - 22:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 20.10.2009 at 22:13

Great review? 'The music is boring', 'The great catchy melodies that used to fill their past records are gone'.... not really informed, it's so evident on the record it's not even funny.

What's the problem with the production if the sound compliments their music? It doesn't have to sound more 'rough'... that's just a matter of opinion, also that makes this album a little different from the other three.

You either like Scar Symmetry (because of Älvestam) or you don't... the music hasn't changed much at all, it's just better produced and now there is two vocalists instead of one.

And if you don't like Scar Symmetry (or just dont like this album), why not write a review about it?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.10.2009 - 22:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

'Great review, I absolutely agree with every single point made. Especially on the point of it being over produced. This one is so slick sounding that all dynamics and possible rough edges have gone. '

Great review? 'The music is boring', 'The great catchy melodies that used to fill their past records are gone'.... not really informed, the melodies are so evident on this record it's not even funny.

What's the problem with slick production if the sound compliments their music? Use the top notch equipment and sound modules - why not?! It doesn't have to sound more 'rough around the edges'... that's just a matter of opinion and obviously the sound you like.

You either like Scar Symmetry or you don't... the music hasn't changed much at all, it's just better produced and now there are two vocalists instead of one - and only the vocals sections have changed... if you had Älvestam singing on this album I'm sure everyone's opinion would be different.

Holographic Universe and Pitch Black Progress was different to their first record, but their was no objections then...

Imo the so-caleld better production (in fact the slicker production) doesn't compliment the music at all. It takes away the little bite the music used to have. So in this case the production is actually worse. The music has tchanged quite a bit now it is almost pure pop due to the slick production and also the music itself. This suffers from the same disase 95% of Euro Power Metal bands suffer from.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2009 - 22:24
HBrandr
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 20.10.2009 at 22:18

Great review? 'The music is boring', 'The great catchy melodies that used to fill their past records are gone'.... not really informed, it's so evident on the record it's not even funny.

What's the problem with the production if the sound compliments their music? It doesn't have to sound more 'rough'... that's just a matter of opinion, also that makes this album a little different from the other three.

You either like Scar Symmetry (because of Älvestam) or you don't... the music hasn't changed much at all, it's just better produced and now there is two vocalists instead of one.

And if you don't like Scar Symmetry (or just dont like this album), why not write a review about it?

You're assuming I said that... write a review if you want to, just don't make comparisons you can't back up - like saying the drummer sounds like a wannabee Mike Portnoy - what's your evidence for that? Or the catchy melodies are gone... they are even more 'in your face' this time around.
20.10.2009 - 22:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Dane, you emo jesus freak, you're just pissed because the Christian is out of the band.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.10.2009 - 23:00
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.10.2009 at 22:23

Imo the so-caleld better production (in fact the slicker production) doesn't compliment the music at all. It takes away the little bite the music used to have. So in this case the production is actually worse. The music has tchanged quite a bit now it is almost pure pop due to the slick production and also the music itself. This suffers from the same disase 95% of Euro Power Metal bands suffer from.

To be honest Marcel, you have very little good to say about anything that doesnt depress the listener into the ground - so why on EARTH would you even comment on Scar Symmetry? We all know you will hang on the slightest thing to slag a band off, even when it comes down to production, especially if its powermetal or melodic death. This isnt 1990 anymore, so all the bands from the past with the productions which had "bite" probably sounded that way because they had no other option...today we have another name for those productions ... its called "shitty".

I swear if it was up to you everything on this forum would be Doom Metal...because obviously everything else is over-produced, pop or gay. Did it ever occur to you that not everyone in the metal world wants music to sound as if it was recorded 20 years go? Sheesh man....
20.10.2009 - 23:09
HBrandr
Account deleted
My review got deleted because it was post to early... nice - what's the point in re-posting it in 3 months. How come if one registers you're still seen as a 'guest'?
20.10.2009 - 23:14
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 20.10.2009 at 23:09

My review got deleted because it was post to early... nice - what's the point in re-posting it in 3 months. How come if one registers you're still seen as a 'guest'?

There's a difference between guests on the website and guest reviewers. The difference is that when you register on the website, you're a user. With all the rights and duties that an user has. Becoming a reviewer is an entirely different thing, though. You have to be part of the Staff (or Elite) to be an official reviewer. When you're an official reviewer you also work with labels etc. You can only become an official reviewer if you've delivered a lot of consistantly good reviews, and we have room for you in the team. We'll ask you in that case.

We have the three months waiting period to give the official reviewers (me, for example) the time to review it first. It's a basic rule. Your review was accepted by mistake, it has nothing to do with the fact a different-minded review of a Staff member was published.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.10.2009 - 23:15
Baz Anderson
Staff
Are you two related or something?
Both apparently from South Africa, similar avatars...
20.10.2009 - 23:18
HBrandr
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 20.10.2009 at 23:15

Are you two related or something?
Both apparently from South Africa, similar avatars...

No, we know each other fairly well - the avatars are just a coincidence though.
20.10.2009 - 23:19
HBrandr
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 20.10.2009 at 23:14

Written by Guest on 20.10.2009 at 23:09

There's a difference between guests on the website and guest reviewers. The difference is that when you register on the website, you're a user. With all the rights and duties that an user has. Becoming a reviewer is an entirely different thing, though. You have to be part of the Staff (or Elite) to be an official reviewer. When you're an official reviewer you also work with labels etc. You can only become an official reviewer if you've delivered a lot of consistantly good reviews, and we have room for you in the team. We'll ask you in that case.

We have the three months waiting period to give the official reviewers (me, for example) the time to review it first. It's a basic rule. Your review was accepted by mistake, it has nothing to do with the fact a different-minded review of a Staff member was published.

Ok, was just curious - thanks for clearing that up, Lucas.
20.10.2009 - 23:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 20.10.2009 at 23:00

To be honest Marcel, you have very little good to say about anything that doesnt depress the listener into the ground - so why on EARTH would you even comment on Scar Symmetry? We all know you will hang on the slightest thing to slag a band off, even when it comes down to production, especially if its powermetal or melodic death. This isnt 1990 anymore, so all the bands from the past with the productions which had "bite" probably sounded that way because they had no other option...today we have another name for those productions ... its called "shitty".

I swear if it was up to you everything on this forum would be Doom Metal...because obviously everything else is over-produced, pop or gay. Did it ever occur to you that not everyone in the metal world wants music to sound as if it was recorded 20 years go? Sheesh man....

Slagging off Euro Power Metal, yes, in 99% of the cases. Slagging off Melodic Death? When it comes to true melodic death (so actual death metal that is melodic) no. Btw, I like the the older stuff Scar Symmetry released. And sorry to say but this isn't melodic death metal at all, there is nto a hint of death metal in its sound. Gothenburg this is, not melodic death metal. But then again most people into metal think Arch Enemy is also melodic death metal.
And no not everything has sound like ti was recorded 20 years ago. Modern day Dark Tranquillity sounds modern but there the production complements the music. And I love both odl Dark Tranquillity when they were still melodic death metal but also modern day Gothenburg DT. I also LOVE both new and old In Flames, same goes for Soilwork fyi.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2009 - 23:44
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.10.2009 at 23:35

Slagging off Euro Power Metal, yes, in 99% of the cases. Slagging off Melodic Death? When it comes to true melodic death (so actual death metal that is melodic) no. Btw, I like the the older stuff Scar Symmetry released. And sorry to say but this isn't melodic death metal at all, there is nto a hint of death metal in its sound. Gothenburg this is, not melodic death metal. But then again most people into metal think Arch Enemy is also melodic death metal.
And no not everything has sound like ti was recorded 20 years ago. Modern day Dark Tranquillity sounds modern but there the production complements the music. And I love both odl Dark Tranquillity when they were still melodic death metal but also modern day Gothenburg DT. I also LOVE both new and old In Flames, same goes for Soilwork fyi.

Hmmm...an epiphany on my side if there ever was one - it does leave me curious, when you say NEW Soilwork, how on earth can you think that is better the new Scar Symmetry? lol Its pretty much just showing off Bjorn Strid as a single God-like entity within the band and they have become extremely "thin". Sort of perplexing this.
21.10.2009 - 00:39
Thanntos
Sorry Marcel but everything past Clayman by In Flames blows massively. A couple decent songs on Come Clarity but otherwise, In Flames was done for me after Clayman.
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
21.10.2009 - 05:36
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Thanntos on 21.10.2009 at 00:39

Sorry Marcel but everything past Clayman by In Flames blows massively. A couple decent songs on Come Clarity but otherwise, In Flames was done for me after Clayman.

Yeah, im still in shock from reading that he likes In Flames' new stuff....thats like actually standing outside and checking out the flying pigs. Makes the remark about how shit SS has become even more bazaar - I mean if you want metal-turn-pop then In Flames is the first band id jump at, rather than SS
21.10.2009 - 05:50
Rating: 7
MetalManic
STAFF VS. READERS
21.10.2009 - 06:09
Rating: 6
VanHelsing
Well I thought it was pretty decent but yeah the vocal melodies are lacking and there's definitely something missing from this album vs the previous stuff Scar Symmetry released.

However, being the first album with the new vocalists, I think it's a pretty decent release... I mean, the music still has that Scar Symmetry trademark so eventhough I won't listen to this as much as Pitch Black Progress or Holographic Universe, they did a good job with this.

As a side note... did anyone else hated Robert Karlsson's "menacing look" in every single scene of the "Noumenon and Phenomenon" video?
----
-V
21.10.2009 - 06:12
Locke
Account deleted
The new vocalists are fine you whiners. The death vox are indifuckingstinguishable and the clean vox, while certainly different, are well done nonetheless. Are they better than Alvestam? Certainly not, he's one of the best vocalists in metal today, that's not an easy thing to top though so cut them some slack. Is the album better than their previous work? Probably not. But that doesn't mean that this isn't a quality slab of modern melodic death metal. Come back when you can raise a criticism more valid than "bawwww Alvestem is teh gone". This is a Blabbermouth-tier review.
21.10.2009 - 07:01
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I think this album is a step down for Scar Symmetry. Not that the musicians on the album aren't talented. The instruments are technical enough and performed well, but the music isn't that great when it's all put together. The band did not do anything new or mind blowing with this album. The feeling I get from this album when it's over is, "Hmm, time to put Holographic Universe back into the CD player." And listen, all you people who are saying something along the lines of "you're just crying cause Alvestam is gone" are being onesided. Look at the big picture, Christian was one of the reasons a lot of people liked the band. Sure the music is amazing, but so were his vocals. Their amazing music combined with vocals of any less quality than his is an injustice to the music. Who really thinks Iron Maiden was better when Dickenson quit in the 90s? I would be more happy with this album and the band as a whole if the vocalists could atleast match the quality of Alvestam's vocals.
21.10.2009 - 07:17
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by BitterCOld on 20.10.2009 at 22:59

Dane, you emo jesus freak, you're just pissed because the Christian is out of the band.

Nicely said, this is what I call a valid statement.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
21.10.2009 - 08:24
Rating: 5
Wes
I agree, terrible album makes me so sad
21.10.2009 - 08:32
Crème fraiche
Damn this review has really pissed people off!

To be honest I haven't heard SS until this release, and I liked it. I could do without a lot of the clean vocals though. The harsh vocals I liked, and same with the guitar melodies.
21.10.2009 - 09:07
BudDa
Elite
I always thought Scar Symmetry was beta off as an all out growl band. I didn't like Christian's clean vocals and now that they have gone out and gotten another 'clean' vocalist. I don't think I'll like this album much
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
21.10.2009 - 11:03
Rating: 6
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
I would rate it with 6.5 maybe a bit less... Nothing new but also not that bad... Mediocre would be the best word I guess...
21.10.2009 - 12:02
Rating: 7
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor

Flucking EPIC!!

I'm pretty new to this website but I noticed that about Marcel too - "if it ain't a funeral portrait then I don't like it!"
----
rekt
21.10.2009 - 12:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 21.10.2009 at 12:02

Flucking EPIC!!

I'm pretty new to this website but I noticed that about Marcel too - "if it ain't a funeral portrait then I don't like it!"

If you people read the fourum more closely you will all see that I only dislike Euroe Flower Power Metal, female fronted metal (which some call gothic metal) and true gothic metal PLus of course all opverporduced metal which sounds like pop.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.10.2009 - 12:20
neonxaos
What a thread.

Dane, you have your opinions, fair enough, but I have mine as well.

I think Scar Symmetry have done well with this one, all things considered. The new vocalists are not on par with Älvestam, no, but they're different, and I can definitely live with them. Also, I never did understand the notion that good production = bad metal. I wish that Metallica hadn't recorded their early albums using a cassette tape recorder placed inside a bucket full of wool, for instance, because their songs just sound infinitely better live. Having said that, I feel that Dark Matter Dimensions is actually a more raw and chaotic production than the previous efforts by Scar Symmetry, and I may actually grow to like it better in the long run, compared to their earlier work, which is so instantly catchy. The musicianship on display here is also still at an incredible technical level, and I have to say that this also goes a long way for me.

I give the new album an 8.0

Hits total: 10949 | This month: 14