05. No Tomorrow
06. Global Domination
07. Taste The Extreme Divinity
08. Alive
09. The Quest
10. Tamed (Filled With Fear)
11. Sky Is Falling Down
12. The Sinner [digipack bonus]

It may come to some surprise just how prolific Hypocrisy have been over the years. For all the experience Peter Tägtgren has playing in bands and producing albums, it may however not come as a surprise that this latest instalment from the Swedish death metallers is another neatly packaged pillar of professionally performed modern metal.

In times where death metal can often be regarded as a battle of the fastest drummers, Hypocrisy do things their own way by pacing themselves with crunching songs of modest pace. A Taste Of Extreme Divinity is an album that doesn't blow all its energy in the first few songs, but rather keep a consistent flow of quality crushers.

There's no mistaking that this is a death metal album, but Hypocrisy throw a bucket-load of melody on top of it all. A Taste Of Extreme Divinity bears all the hallmarks of a modern death metal album from the infectious melodic side to the clean and crisp production allowing the listener to fully appreciate each element of the band, perhaps however at the expense of any atmosphere or feeling the album may have conjured.

What the production does more than anything though, is make the guitars sound so menacing and evil, and at the same time heavy as hell. Title track "A Taste Of Extreme Divinity" shows off the intimidating guitar sound in one of the albums faster tracks, but pounder "Hang Him High" takes the gold medal for heaviness and will no doubt stand up to be one of the band's classics. Horgh from Immortal doesn't go unnoticed sat behind the drum kit either, bringing his distinguishable style and sound to Hypocrisy. Most apparent is during the slower, more melodic "Solar Empire", which under different circumstances could even be passed off as work of the Norwegian black metallers themselves.

Hypocrisy know what they are doing and don't beat around the bush to get it done. A Taste Of Extreme Divinity is a water-tight release of solid modern death metal sure to please all concerned. The melodic elements and slower tempo of some songs may aid and abet the dispersal of some of the hard-worked energy the speedier songs created, but more often than not there will be pounding double bass drums and something with a bit more bite around the next corner.

Nothing mind-blowing, nothing terrible. A Taste Of Extreme Divinity is another offering of value and worth in the Hypocrisy catalogue that is sure to be a popular hit as an album of the times.

-

Melodic Death metal
Nuclear Blast
Sweden
Length: 50:05

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 22.10.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 38   Visited by: 519 users
22.10.2009 - 17:42
Rating: 6
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Sounds cool. gonna check it out later
----
loves 小巫
22.10.2009 - 17:47
Rating: 8
GamlaSonn
Yes I agree, I wasn't blown away by this album, but it was all right
22.10.2009 - 18:03
Rating: 9
JosipS
Very good review baz, i totally agree. a very solid album, nothing ground breaking but is a perfect example of modern melodic death metal done right.
22.10.2009 - 18:27
-Soulreaper-
Nice review Baz, totally agree that this album isn't ground breaking but still a solid album by a kick ass band.
22.10.2009 - 18:49
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
New album isn't so good as Virus, but in the other hand it's much more regular.
22.10.2009 - 20:42
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
I need to get this album.
22.10.2009 - 20:59
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by Guest on 22.10.2009 at 20:20

It's killer album!!!

A Killer indeed:devil:
22.10.2009 - 23:28
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Yow, I agrees. Peter rules, I'm glad he took some time off with Pain, cause it was about time to hear his harsher side again. Solar Empire is
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
23.10.2009 - 00:34
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Not bad, but not great... so far only "Hang Him High" completely caught my attention
----
loves 小巫
23.10.2009 - 01:51
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Yeah been listening to the album for a few weeks and then sort of stopped. Pretty mundane and few memorable moments. "Solar Empire" is pretty good but there so little variety within each song that my mind wanders off in all directions when I listen to it. A staggeringly average 6/10
23.10.2009 - 12:32
HBrandr
Account deleted
Written by Ag Fox on 23.10.2009 at 00:34

Not bad, but not great... so far only "Hang Him High" completely caught my attention

I completely agree with you, "Solar Empire" and "Hang Him High" are quite good - the rest of the album defintely sounds like Hypocrisy and it has some 'moments', but not their best effort. 5.5/10
23.10.2009 - 16:46
Rating: 7
Bigpaul
It may not have instant favourites on here but it's probably their most solid outing to date imho, possibly their most up tempo also. Not much in the line of filler tracks & Taste The Extreme Divine is a great track..... the intro of that one sounds like a little hat tip in the direction of Peace sells era Megadeth but that may be just me. 8.5/10
23.10.2009 - 19:03
Kinzoku
Based on the artwork and album title, I was expecting something a little heavier, but melody is always good. Solid release, although not my favorite.
23.10.2009 - 21:25
JÄY
Metal slave
Quote:
Based on the artwork and album title, I was expecting something a little heavier

I agree...but was pleasantly surprised...gotta have my melody
24.10.2009 - 05:32
Until the End
"...perhaps however at the expense of any atmosphere or feeling the album may have conjured."

I disagree, the album is laden with atmosphere from start to finish.

I'm also going to disagree with many people who've already commented by saying this is better than Virus. At first I thought it sounded quite average but after more plays I've come to realise that apart from 1 song, 'Alive', this is an extremely solid and diverse album.

The combination of 'Solar Empire' followed by 'Weed Out the Weak' and then 'No Tomorrow' is absolute genius. A trio of songs which begins with a classic Hypocrisy sing along (Solar... Empire... etc.), then a homage to the greats of the early 90's and finally a track which could have easily been pulled off an album from the Abducted-Into the Abyss era (my favourite). That song wouldn't have gone amiss on TFC or the self-titled, in my opinion.

The only song I don't find particularly enjoyable is 'Alive' which I find to be quite average. They should have had 'The Sinner' in its place and had 'Alive' as the bonus.
24.10.2009 - 22:22
Pretty good album, I really enjoy track 6- Global Domination
26.10.2009 - 05:20
Urizen367
Cant wait to get my hands on a copy! cant wait to see em live on nov 8!!!!
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
27.10.2009 - 13:34
It's A Good Album But Not As Much As The Old Ones.
And I Think It's Boring To Talk Always About Aliens.....I Mean Change The Subject A little Bit
As For Music And Composing Its Fucking Awesome!!!
If We take "Global Domination" As An example we find that the music is incredible, But the Lyrics are not matched with it in the right way......
28.10.2009 - 04:14
Derwood
A decent enough album, solid songs, but the memorability factor is zero.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
29.10.2009 - 09:40
Conservationist
Sorry, gotta differ. This album is crap that has nothing to do with death metal:

Fast melodic riff, then a doubletime stomp, then a breakdown with a Gothenburg riff, than nu-hardcore style rant and blast; repeat in random order. Oh, and I forgot the semi-synthesized "digital whisper" vocals.

It sounds like a punk hardcore band trying to be metal.

It's metalcore. Don't let the melodic death metal riffs fool you: nothing on this album is as structured or complex as real death metal. It's verse/chorus with random riffs thrown in, like a more intense version of Jawbreaker.

Holy shinola this album is bad. Do yourself a favor: stop after "Inferior Devotees."
30.10.2009 - 18:39
JÄY
Metal slave
Metalcore?....whatno
30.10.2009 - 19:30
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
@Conservationist: It seems that you live in some parallel universe where metalcore means something completly different than here in our version of space-time.
30.10.2009 - 20:49
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Written by Conservationist on 29.10.2009 at 09:40

Sorry, gotta differ. This album is crap that has nothing to do with death metal:

Fast melodic riff, then a doubletime stomp, then a breakdown with a Gothenburg riff, than nu-hardcore style rant and blast; repeat in random order. Oh, and I forgot the semi-synthesized "digital whisper" vocals.

It's metalcore. Don't let the melodic death metal riffs fool you: nothing on this album is as structured or complex as real death metal. It's verse/chorus with random riffs thrown in, like a more intense version of Jawbreaker.

Holy shinola this album is bad. Do yourself a favor: stop after "Inferior Devotees."

I'm trying to figure out if you're a real person or a bot right now...So, your greater point is that death metal/melodeath has NO fast melodic riffs, right...And if it has, it's punk hardcore!??The word "melodic" in "melodeic death" is there just to fool the neighbour's kids, right...Wtf...That's some understanding about music you have...But the most shocking thing is that you actually sound like you believe yourself...

No really, I was amazed when I saw Devildriver tagged as Alternative death metal in MS today, but you're simply off the charts with that statement of yours...You made my day...
31.10.2009 - 17:34
Mr.Wilson
Written by Conservationist on 29.10.2009 at 09:40

This guy is actually a reviewer from some website, and he writes like he knows what he is talking about, that what makes it so funny..LOL..metalcore dude?...seriously?..

i think this album is very enjoyable, it's simple and complex at the same time, that's the peter's way:), some of you are tired of the alien inspired lyrics, but i think is a must have in the concept that is Hypocrisy, peter is fascinated by aliens, and i think he enjoys a lot to write about it, it's part of what hypocrisy is, it's like we ask Nile not to write lyrics about Egyptian themes. the songs are not all about aliens, they mainly focus in religion.

for example: "There is a new religion coming around the bend

And it's called fuck you" how cool is this?...peter rocks:)

my favorite songs are Global Domination and Weed out The Weak
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
31.10.2009 - 18:43
Sunioj
Conservationist is a fucking geek, just ignore him so he wont retort to your comments.

Good album, as always I find with Hypocrisy is that there is a handful of really awesome songs and filler. I would say 7.5
01.11.2009 - 05:46
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Hypocrisy used to be my favourite band back in the years (you can even see how much I suck their dick in the thread I started about them), but after passing more than one year without listening to them I downloaded this album and found it extremely unispired, with bad lyrics, boring, middle-of-the-road....
02.11.2009 - 08:11
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
02.11.2009 - 23:00
ioannisk
The more i listen to it, the more i like it...:banger:
03.11.2009 - 08:44
Metalbound7
Valley Of The Damn, No Tomorrow and Solar Empire are my favorites so far, But The Whole album is Amazing, probably a future classic . BTW wtf with Conservationist? the dude said it sould like, hardcore and metalcore?... hahahah this guy just make my day.
08.11.2009 - 19:17
terrorist
Man this albums is great.I'am not a big fan of Hypocrisy but this album is verry good.I've noticed that they are always changing their style,not whole of it but this album is more melodic and it has thrash elements.Definitley 9 for me.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related

Hits total: 14486 | This month: 24