Metal Storm logo
Best track from No Prayer For The Dying

Original post

Posted by Angelic Storm, 15.11.2009 - 01:52
I am a big fan of this album, but I know "No Prayer..." is widely considered to be the worst Maiden album amongst Maiden fans. (discounting the Blaze era albums at least) And from speaking myself to fellow Maiden fans, this assumption seems to be correct. So, even those of you who don't really like the album, there must be a song/s you like from it surely? If so, which one is your favourite, and why?

Although I'm in the minority of Maiden fans who like all the tracks from this album, my fave has always been "Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter". For this album, the band wanted to produce a rawer, darker sound, and this song is the ultimate showing of that. The schlock horror feel of the song has a genuinely menacing air about it, and Janick plays a fittingly insane solo on it too! Definitely one of my fave Maiden tracks!

Poll

Which is your favourite?

Mother Russia
No Prayer For The Dying
Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter
Holy Smoke
Tailgunner
Fates Warning
The Assassin
Hooks In You
Other (please specify)

Total votes: 50
27.01.2010 - 18:59
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Although this album generally irritates me with it's "hard" attitude and sound (in more of an AC/DC way, than metal way) and hosts one of my most disliked songs (an almost laughable rendition to Accept's 'Balls to the Wall' is what it sounds like to me), I do like this album more than most, I suppose. It was a tough choice between Mother Russia and No Prayer for the Dying, but... Mother Russia is the more superior song in my opinion. I can always count on Steve's songs to be the best. I picked this over NPFTD, because of the awful last solo in the NPFTD. I mean... I laughed out loud when I was listening to the song a couple weeks ago (after not listening to any Maiden for MONTHS). I was like, "What IS this? It HAS to be Janick." He may contribute some great melodies to Maiden's songs, but that guy couldn't play a good solo if his life depended on it. XD
27.01.2010 - 19:20
TheOwl
Mother Russia for me
29.01.2010 - 23:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 27.01.2010 at 18:59
I picked this over NPFTD, because of the awful last solo in the NPFTD. I mean... I laughed out loud when I was listening to the song a couple weeks ago (after not listening to any Maiden for MONTHS). I was like, "What IS this? It HAS to be Janick." He may contribute some great melodies to Maiden's songs, but that guy couldn't play a good solo if his life depended on it. XD

haha, The last solo in ''No Prayer For The Dying'' (the song) is actually played by Dave Murray!

The solo section is: Murray/Gers/Murray.
30.01.2010 - 00:10
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.01.2010 at 23:24

haha, The last solo in ''No Prayer For The Dying'' (the song) is actually played by Dave Murray!

The solo section is: Murray/Gers/Murray.

Huh. That surprises me, because Dave is usually very clean with his solos. That one is just... messy. XP

Usually, I'm more knowledgeable with the "who-plays-which-solo-stuff", but NPFTD isn't exactly my *favorite* Maiden record... So I never really cared *too* much. Thanks for clearing it up though, O Mighty Knowledgeable of All Things Maiden!
30.01.2010 - 00:32
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 30.01.2010 at 00:10
Huh. That surprises me, because Dave is usually very clean with his solos. That one is just... messy. XP

Usually, I'm more knowledgeable with the "who-plays-which-solo-stuff", but NPFTD isn't exactly my *favorite* Maiden record... So I never really cared *too* much. Thanks for clearing it up though, O Mighty Knowledgeable of All Things Maiden!

As soon as I heard it, I knew it was Davey! hehee
You can also hear the switch from the 2nd solo which is unmistakeably Janick into the 3rd solo.

If you watch live versions of the song, you can see Dave playing the last solo.

Im very geeky about ''who plays what solo'' stuff. To the point where if a band with two lead guitarists doesnt list the lead credits in the album booklet, it annoys me! Maiden never do that though, but I can usually always tell who plays what solo, because all of the guitarists in Maiden have their own unique styles.
30.01.2010 - 00:46
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 30.01.2010 at 00:32

Im very geeky about ''who plays what solo'' stuff. To the point where if a band with two lead guitarists doesnt list the lead credits in the album booklet, it annoys me! Maiden never do that though, but I can usually always tell who plays what solo, because all of the guitarists in Maiden have their own unique styles.

Live versions? :O I didn't even know they have played it live. It's not really a popular song.

I'm sorta the same way about who does/did what on music recordings. It really becomes a headache for me as a Frank Zappa fan, because he has SO much music... but the musicians differ from album to album (and he have a lot). I'm like, "Oh god, that solo just crushed my SOUL (in a good way). Who did it, again?" Too hard to keep track of... But I digress... This has nothing to do with Maiden.

Yes their solos do have specific personalities to them. Personally, (like most) I really like Adrian's solos teh bestest! They are so rich and full of character.
30.01.2010 - 11:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 30.01.2010 at 00:46
Live versions? :O I didn't even know they have played it live. It's not really a popular song.

I'm sorta the same way about who does/did what on music recordings. It really becomes a headache for me as a Frank Zappa fan, because he has SO much music... but the musicians differ from album to album (and he have a lot). I'm like, "Oh god, that solo just crushed my SOUL (in a good way). Who did it, again?" Too hard to keep track of... But I digress... This has nothing to do with Maiden.

Yes their solos do have specific personalities to them. Personally, (like most) I really like Adrian's solos teh bestest! They are so rich and full of character.

*Geek mode on:* They only played the song live on the ''No Prayer For The Road Tour'' in 1990/91. As such, it has never featured on any of Maiden's live DVDs. But you can find bootleg videos from that tour on youtube. So you can see Davey playing that solo there.

Incidentally, only 3 songs from the album were not played on that tour. ''Mother Russia'', ''Run Silent, Run Deep'', and ''Fates Warning''. Those 3 songs have still never been played live, which is a shame. ''Bring Your Daughter...'' is the only No Prayer song which has been played live since 1992. And even that was only for a period of about a month. So the album is really heavily negelected by the band. *Geek mode off:*

With most bands, I can usually tell who's playing the solo if it isn't listed. Though there will invariably be the odd song where Im scratching my head trying to figure it out! As for Maiden, although I like Janick, I really don't ike it when he plays Adrian's solos live. He always makes a mess of them! Adrian is my favourite Maiden guitarist as well. A lot of his solos are like minature songs within themselves. hehee
30.01.2010 - 12:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 30.01.2010 at 00:32

Can you post a link please
lol I always like seeing Steve bass guitar hehehe ICF in the streets looking for headhunters LOL
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.01.2010 - 22:18
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 30.01.2010 at 11:24

With most bands, I can usually tell who's playing the solo if it isn't listed. Though there will invariably be the odd song where Im scratching my head trying to figure it out! As for Maiden, although I like Janick, I really don't ike it when he plays Adrian's solos live. He always makes a mess of them! Adrian is my favourite Maiden guitarist as well. A lot of his solos are like minature songs within themselves. hehee

Really? I always thought Janick does the same. I *hate* the fact that they gave him a solo in Hallowed Be Thy Name live. Maybe it's just me, but I think that his messes it up way more than he should. :l Honestly, it always seems like Janick is more concerned with spinning his guitar around and doing cartwheels than his guitar playing. XD
31.01.2010 - 11:53
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 30.01.2010 at 22:18
Really? I always thought Janick does the same. I *hate* the fact that they gave him a solo in Hallowed Be Thy Name live. Maybe it's just me, but I think that his messes it up way more than he should. :l Honestly, it always seems like Janick is more concerned with spinning his guitar around and doing cartwheels than his guitar playing. XD

Janick always does the same what?

Yep, he now plays H's solo in Halllowed...he also played H's solo in Moonchild when they started playing that again. I like Janick, but he butcher's H's solos, he should just be left to play his own.

Janick is very entertaining to watch live! But I agree, if he cut back on that stuff, he probably would play better. I think he is a much better guitarist than most people think, or that he makes himself appear live.
31.01.2010 - 20:45
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 31.01.2010 at 11:53

Janick always does the same what?

Janick is very entertaining to watch live! But I agree, if he cut back on that stuff, he probably would play better. I think he is a much better guitarist than most people think, or that he makes himself appear live.

I meant Janick butchers songs live with his solos (mostly the ones that weren't orginally his).

I think Janick is a much better songwriter when compared to how he performs... It's just if you didn't know how much he contributes to Maiden's songs, one would probably be inclined to wonder why they've kept him around since Adrian came back. ;P
01.02.2010 - 00:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 31.01.2010 at 20:45
I meant Janick butchers songs live with his solos (mostly the ones that weren't orginally his).

I think Janick is a much better songwriter when compared to how he performs... It's just if you didn't know how much he contributes to Maiden's songs, one would probably be inclined to wonder why they've kept him around since Adrian came back. ;P

Then you were only agreeing with what Id previously said.

No, I like some of his own solos! But he's much more off the cuff than Davey or H. Dave said Janick's solo in 'The Pilgrim' was improvised on the spot in one take. Why he was kept on, I dont know. But I do know Bruce recommended him to Steve for Maiden when Adrian left. I also know that when Bruce went back to Maiden, it was only under the condition that Adrian rejoined as well. Janick has written some great songs for Maiden. I am glad he was kept on when H came back, I just dont like it when he's allowed to play H's solos live! hehe
01.02.2010 - 00:30
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 01.02.2010 at 00:14

Then you were only agreeing with what Id previously said.

No, I like some of his own solos! But he's much more off the cuff than Davey or H. Dave said Janick's solo in 'The Pilgrim' was improvised on the spot in one take. Why he was kept on, I dont know. But I do know Bruce recommended him to Steve for Maiden when Adrian left. I also know that when Bruce went back to Maiden, it was only under the condition that Adrian rejoined as well. Janick has written some great songs for Maiden. I am glad he was kept on when H came back, I just dont like it when he's allowed to play H's solos live! hehe

Oops... I seem to have read your post wrong. Just... uh... nevermind? *embarrassed*

I seem to be missing out on something here. I've been a huge Maiden fan for almost ten years now... But I don't ever recall anyone referring to Adrian Smith as "H". O_O
01.02.2010 - 23:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 01.02.2010 at 00:30
Oops... I seem to have read your post wrong. Just... uh... nevermind? *embarrassed*

I seem to be missing out on something here. I've been a huge Maiden fan for almost ten years now... But I don't ever recall anyone referring to Adrian Smith as "H". O_O

Haha, yah okay! hehe

Adrian's nickname is ''H'' to his bandmates. I got into Maiden in the late 80's, and I heard him reffered to as that a lot back then. Though strangely I dont hear it that much anymore. I think anyone who got into Maiden from the mid 90's onwards probably wont know that's his nickname...
22.02.2010 - 02:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 22.02.2010 at 02:01

I voted for Holy Smoke,it's catchy & has a funny videoclip!

Great song!

I remember being creeped out by the end of that song as a kid, and the front cover of the single.
23.02.2012 - 10:04
Codera the Great
Account deleted
While I do consider this to be Iron Maiden's weakest album, along with many other fans, there are still some really good tracks on here. I of course voted for the title track.
29.02.2012 - 01:13
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
This is Maiden's weakest album with Dickinson, though some songs are alright. No real "classics" however, and the production, to quote Dickinson, "sounded like shit".

My vote went to "Mother Russia", though I like the title track and "Run Silent Run Deep" as well.
29.02.2012 - 01:20
JohnDoe
Account deleted
What a mess of an album; I used to like it as a teenager.

"other:please specify" yeah you forgot Public Enema Number One which I actually still like.

Can't vote, none of the songs really stands out. :
29.02.2012 - 01:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 29.02.2012 at 01:20

Can't vote, none of the songs really stands out. :

I find Bring Your Daughter to stand out... in a totally negative whay that is and that is saying something since No Prayer has no really good song on it
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.02.2012 - 02:48
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
I voted for Holy Smoke... Took me some time to love that one! It was either that or NPFTD or Mother Russia (a bit cheesy, but I like it).
But Bring Your Daughter... What an horrible song! Worse than most of the Bailey era for sure.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
08.03.2012 - 13:45
arwestromen
Wow this is hard because I really don't like this album....it's so "meh" and boring ( for being a IM album). But I choose bring your daughter..mostly because it was the first song I hreard from this album
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
26.05.2012 - 11:57
I really hate this album.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
23.09.2012 - 10:43
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I actually really like the title track, it's a beautiful song.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
27.09.2012 - 05:12
Guib
Thrash Talker
For me its no prayer for the dying... with close seconds being Holy Smoke and Mother Russia.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here