Metal Storm logo
Ensiferum's golden age: Jari vs. Petri

Poll

Ensiferum's best vocalist/guitarist (so far...)?

Jari Mäenpää
Petri Lindroos

Total votes: 164
17.11.2009 - 16:11
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Now that Ensiferum have released two full-length albums with Petri in the line-up, the long-awaited duel is open. Swordsmen, take arms against each others and seal this heroic destiny! Which captain shall you follow into the battle?

PS: This is not just about vocals or guitar skills: it's about Ensiferum before and after Jari's departure.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
17.11.2009 - 16:51
Overlord_PT
old ensiferum is better... so best time of ensiferum was before jari´s departure
17.11.2009 - 16:53
MeloDeathViking
For right now, I'm in Jari's camp, but I'm still not totally commited. I love From Afar and think it's thest best album since their first. I also think it shows great hope for the future, which could make me eventually change my mind.

So as of now, I'm with Jari, but won't actually cast a vote, since I'm not 100% commited.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
17.11.2009 - 17:03
I'm actually gonna have to go with Petri. All reasons aside, I enjoy Victory Songs and From Afar slightly more than Ensiferum or Iron (although Iron is amazing).
17.11.2009 - 17:24
flamey
No doubt Jari era is better. I still listen to first album more than From Afar, although I've listened to it a million times so far. For me the self titled is the best, then Iron, then From Afar and then awfully average Victory Songs. From Afar is a step in the right direction but still far from the superiority of the Jari-era. Also, vocalwise I prefer Jari as well. It's more characteristic and gives the feeling better.
17.11.2009 - 17:25
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
No need to start a comparison imo. Ensiferum was, is & hopefully will remain a good band! All these variations are natural & add personality to each album. Artists and music progress and mature through time - we simply are lucky enough to enjoy!
----
\m/etalstor\m/
17.11.2009 - 17:56
Feng
Now this is a hard one... before From Afar was released I would have easily gone with Jari, but Petri impressed me so much with the latest album its now hard to choose.

I think I will have to go with Jari, not just for his harsh vocals but for his outstanding clean ones. Hard choice though.
17.11.2009 - 18:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Dont care, for me all sounds same, Im not huge fan of band, but when I lsiten it its rear and realy for em there no diference , big diference
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.11.2009 - 19:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
It's a matter of taste to me, Jari wins.
17.11.2009 - 22:40
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Jari. Iron and Ensiferum are both gold. From the Petri era, I really like Victory Songs but Im really not a huge fan of From Afar...
17.11.2009 - 23:00
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
If I can say it, BOTH. Of course, Jari is better, and if nothing I always prefered Wintersun to Ensiferum, but I'm a huge fan of both bands. I think that Jari has better vocals, but I really like both of them since I'm also a Norther fan. So my choice would be Jari, but it's only shades, and I also rate Victory Songs and From Afar very high. I'm not one of those people who are like Jari was great, and everything else sucks, of course it's a bit different, but still good.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
17.11.2009 - 23:59
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
The first two albums are better without a doubt in my mind. Especially their debut. I like their latest two, but many songs are repetitive as Petri is a bit on the boring side vocally. Still some good songs though.
18.11.2009 - 00:03
JÄY
Metal slave
I believe jari is much better suited for wintersun, and petri, Ensiferum
18.11.2009 - 00:26
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Jari is a magnificent vocalist you can see why both in Ensiferum and iron he is one of the best wintersun is fine example of how good he is
18.11.2009 - 01:37
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Written by flamey on 17.11.2009 at 17:24

No doubt Jari era is better. I still listen to first album more than From Afar, although I've listened to it a million times so far. For me the self titled is the best, then Iron, then From Afar and then awfully average Victory Songs. From Afar is a step in the right direction but still far from the superiority of the Jari-era. Also, vocalwise I prefer Jari as well. It's more characteristic and gives the feeling better.

Exactly
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
18.11.2009 - 02:11
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Only seen Petri live, but the albums with Jari are so much better, its no contest.
18.11.2009 - 03:31
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Im riding with Petri, but I cant say I dont love the Jari era
18.11.2009 - 06:37
Framhel?
I'll go with Jari, Ensiferum sounded best in Jari's time, but Petri's good too.
----
--Rock Forever--
18.11.2009 - 15:08
FeskarN
I would go for Jari era. The first 2 albums are just simply amazing, will never get tired of those songs. Petri is also one of my favorite singer but I feel that something is missing then Jari was out of the band. I must say that "From Afar" is their best work since "Iron". It's really epic and powerful.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
18.11.2009 - 16:28
Mugthulhu
Jari is a better musician and vocalist, and I like the two first albums best, then From Afar, and last Victory Songs. Also Petri keeps screwing up the awesome sweep solos during live shows.
19.11.2009 - 02:28
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Myself, I do prefer Jari's contribution, but musically, it's not so easy to choose an era. Ensiferum and Iron aremore varied, with soaring (sometimes quite boring, though) ballads followed by fast and epic tracks, while Victory Songs and From Afar are more thick and repetitive, but technically superior and catchier. For the originality and creativity, Jari's era wins, but for easy listening and powerful musicality, Petri's era owns. On the whole, then, both eras have good points, but Jari's vocals were better, so pre-VS era got my vote, but it's not an easy choice.
----
19.11.2009 - 02:33
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I actually like their latest album more than anything the band has done. I still listen to Wintersun more, so i think that Jari is the better musician, but for Ensiferum I like Petri more.
----
Brujerizmo!
19.11.2009 - 09:02
moe5512
Petri fits more in Ensiferum, jari is more the weird butreally talented dude that cant make an album done
19.11.2009 - 09:17
fade
Son of Sweden
Staff
I liked the Jari a lot with Ensiferum but at the same time they released thier first album I was listening to Petri with Norther during thier beginning which I liked a lot. I was Happy when Petri took over since I already liked his vocal style... though don't forget we are STILL awaiting the second Wintersun album....STILL.
----
The troubles of avoiding horseshit.
My Music database: http://www.racksandtags.com/northernsky/
19.11.2009 - 09:23
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Let's not even go there.
----
Brujerizmo!
19.11.2009 - 15:09
Rozz
Hahahaha fuckin funny, jari is finland's best guitarst never compare petri again it's an insult
20.11.2009 - 02:00
Until the End
Probably the easiest decision I've ever made.
20.11.2009 - 17:21
Megadeth88
I'm going with Jari. Their first two albums have a special place in my heart.
21.11.2009 - 00:46
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Until the End on 20.11.2009 at 02:00

Probably the easiest decision I've ever made.

Which means???
----
21.11.2009 - 01:55
Baz Anderson
Staff
As much as I hate how overrated Jari and Wintersun are, the best Ensiferum albums are the Jari ones.