Metal Storm logo
Plz recommend me best Doom Metal albums you heard (I preffer unfamous)

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 27.11.2009 - 18:03
I like Doom Metal and want to know more about nice albums and bands. plz just recommend nice albums or even songs over here and discuss about them. not important if its famous either. I recommend you to take alook at Forest Of Shadows's "Where Dreams Turn To Dust" EP album. and surely take a look "Eternal Autumn" which is in that album either. but find the self-released one which is not in the cd, its more nice I think. and the other song which I recommend you is "Black God" by MDB, which one of the best Doom songs Ive ever heard! a song which doesnt have any Drums, Bass and Guitars! just Keboards (MDB have other songs like this). I have a tattoo on my breast called Black God by old english font hehe! but not as my nick screams! a normal one!
27.12.2010 - 17:07
Aristarchos
Warning - Watching From A distance is the best doom metal. Slow epic doom metal, almost as slow as funeral doom, but otherwise has nothing in common with funeral doom.
25.01.2011 - 19:20
IronAngel
I guess this thread will do.

Can anyone recommend good doom/death bands that are a bit more on the death side than usual? What I mean by that is a focus on twisted and heavy riffs, I guess. I'm thinking something like the doomy moments of Autopsy and Asphyx and doomier. Hooded Menace is a great example.
27.01.2011 - 02:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by IronAngel on 25.01.2011 at 19:20

Can anyone recommend good doom/death bands that are a bit more on the death side than usual? What I mean by that is a focus on twisted and heavy riffs, I guess. I'm thinking something like the doomy moments of Autopsy and Asphyx and doomier. Hooded Menace is a great example.

quote 2:

how the bleep could I forget the almighty Winter?

So... I would suggest
Winter
Coffins
Beyond Belief
Necro Schizma

those first two and especially Coffins (who btw covered Asphyx) have the most death
metal to them. Whereas the other two are more slowed down death metal

as for Autopsy like stuff you really got to try Morbus Chron, brilliant Autopsy worship going on in that band..
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.01.2011 - 02:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 11.12.2010 at 22:57

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.12.2010 at 22:47

Somehow I can't get into it, just like Jex Thoth, which is weird cause I immensely enjoy The Devil's Blood and Ghost which operate along the same lines.

For me it's basically the other way around. The Devil's Blood is okay, but doesn't do much for me, and Ghost has like one song that I enjoy. Blood Ceremony on the other hand caught on with me straight away. I appreciate it mostly as a doom record though, while The Devil's Blood and Ghost are something else entirely.

along those lines of Blood Ceremony and Jex Thoth you should also try Hands Of Orlac from Italy
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.01.2011 - 09:29
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.01.2011 at 02:31

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 11.12.2010 at 22:57

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.12.2010 at 22:47

Somehow I can't get into it, just like Jex Thoth, which is weird cause I immensely enjoy The Devil's Blood and Ghost which operate along the same lines.

For me it's basically the other way around. The Devil's Blood is okay, but doesn't do much for me, and Ghost has like one song that I enjoy. Blood Ceremony on the other hand caught on with me straight away. I appreciate it mostly as a doom record though, while The Devil's Blood and Ghost are something else entirely.

along those lines of Blood Ceremony and Jex Thoth you should also try Hands Of Orlac from Italy

Will do when I get the chance.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
28.01.2011 - 09:55
MissMetal86
Void Of Silence- Anger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojbPTrawShA

Woods Of Ypres - Everything I Touch Turns to Gold(...then to Coal)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exzpwITTcuo

Darkflight- Distant Pain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSDSGlkgSYQ
31.01.2011 - 06:11
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
To all the people on this thread, you should check out Salome's 2010 outing "Terminal" , a Minimalistic combination of sludge/Noise and old school doom thats raw as fuck.......
02.02.2011 - 22:54
Luke717
Swallow the sun- new moon is a great album
02.02.2011 - 23:34
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Guest on 31.01.2011 at 06:11

To all the people on this thread, you should check out Salome's 2010 outing "Terminal" , a Minimalistic combination of sludge/Noise and old school doom thats raw as fuck.......

I actually was quite surprised there was nothing about Salome on Metal Storm. I had been assured this album is very good and I gotta say that what I've heard really does not sound bad although I can't consider myself being objective or a fan of this kind of music. Anyway, I found it interesting that the vocalist is a good looking blonde.
04.02.2011 - 20:58
Wintersun616
There's exactly one doom metal band I like. They sing in Finnish though, and I think that the lyrics are the most important aspect of their music. But here's one song with (poor) translation to English in the video.

They've released only two albums, but I prefer and highly recommend the first one more. It's called Jäähyvästi, and my favourite songs from that album are Ikiuneen, Hyiseen Veteen and Luutarhuri.
04.02.2011 - 23:52
IronAngel
Thanks for the recommendations everyone, by the way. I loved Winter, Marcel. The sound is a little dated, but the music makes up for it. I have yet to track the others down.
06.02.2011 - 00:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by IronAngel on 04.02.2011 at 23:52

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, by the way. I loved Winter, Marcel. The sound is a little dated, but the music makes up for it. I have yet to track the others down.

If you think Winter's sound is a little dated (I presume you mean production wise) wait till you hear Necro Schizma

Of the Coffins, Beyond Belief, Necro Schizma it should eb easiest to track down Coffins since they are a current band. In April Beyond Belief will re-release their two demos with two bonus tracks on cd.
And Necro Schizma's discography has been re-released last year on a single LP limited to 525 copies.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.03.2011 - 01:13
IronAngel
New Weedeater, Jason... The Dragon is out. The sound's got some balls to it. I've heard a few tracks so far, and I'm feel good about it.
02.03.2011 - 07:32
WickedBuddhi
I've always loved the stuff Grey Skies Fallen released.
02.03.2011 - 11:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by IronAngel on 02.03.2011 at 01:13

New Weedeater, Jason... The Dragon is out. The sound's got some balls to it. I've heard a few tracks so far, and I'm feel good about it.

Didn't know it was out yet. Thanks for letting us know. Will have to check it out.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.03.2011 - 11:52
IronAngel
No wonder. It was released yesterday as far as I can see (I thought it was supposed to be much later), and I just happened to spot it in an online store. I have yet to get the physical copy, but it'll probably be in the next batch I order.
02.03.2011 - 12:53
ToreWulf
Saturnus. Their album 'Martyre' is awesome.
02.03.2011 - 15:03
Vivi'

I've been checking some death/doom bands out and I can help you with that. Firstly, De Profundis (France). Secondly, Runemagick. Also, Golgotha (Spain). I've downloaded some more and I will update when I listen to them
02.03.2011 - 15:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Vivi' on 02.03.2011 at 15:03

I've been checking some death/doom bands out and I can help you with that. Firstly, De Profundis (France). Secondly, Runemagick. Also, Golgotha (Spain). I've downloaded some more and I will update when I listen to them

Runemagick you gotta look out with, their early stuff is pure death metal whereas their newer stuff is doom/death
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.03.2011 - 15:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

I forgot to mention Anatomia from Japan heer, really Autopsy worship there though doomier.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.03.2011 - 15:25
Vivi'
Coffins.
02.03.2011 - 15:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Vivi' on 02.03.2011 at 15:25

Coffins.

I already mentioned them How could I not seeing as I am a huge fan of theirs and try to get hold of all of their releases. Currently only missing the pslit with Mala Suerte and the split with Cianide. All others are in my possession and will finally be seeing them live on April 17, yippie.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.03.2011 - 15:37
Vivi'
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.03.2011 at 15:35

Written by Vivi' on 02.03.2011 at 15:25

Coffins.

I will finally be seeing them live on April 17, yippie.

I envy you.
08.03.2011 - 01:02
IronAngel
Thanks again for all the recommendations, I'm checking them out gradually.

Another new album I wanted to mention (I don't think we have a topic for new album recommendations? We should) is Orchid's first full-length, Capricorn. It's blatant Sabbath-worship, the singer even sounds a bit like Ozzy. Usually, I go for something slower and heavier but this is groovy.
08.03.2011 - 10:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by IronAngel on 08.03.2011 at 01:02

Thanks again for all the recommendations, I'm checking them out gradually.

Another new album I wanted to mention (I don't think we have a topic for new album recommendations? We should) is Orchid's first full-length, Capricorn. It's blatant Sabbath-worship, the singer even sounds a bit like Ozzy. Usually, I go for something slower and heavier but this is groovy.

Check out their e.p. as well. I find it to be even much more fun than the full-length. And indeed it's great Sabbath worship all the way.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2011 - 04:47
WickedBuddhi
If I can figure out how to post a youtube video I'd send you to SubRosa.

But here is a link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tsjP2F5jDQ
09.03.2011 - 09:28
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Listening to Orchid's album for the first time and quite enjoying it. It is strange that for me doom is probably the only genre in case of which some bands don't sound anachronistic or stagnant, even if, when to think of it, the music is almost totally derivative. I wouldn't want to hear the same old sound in my black metal, for example.
09.03.2011 - 10:36
Isisscript
Blazing Eternity -Times And Unknown Waters, it s not famous but great !
12.03.2011 - 07:42
Evoken - A Caress of the Void is my favorite doom album right now.
----
Sonorous Odium...
...Embrace the consonance.
13.03.2011 - 02:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by odious.infinity on 12.03.2011 at 07:42

Evoken - A Caress of the Void is my favorite doom album right now.

A band that can do no wrong in my opinion. I know Shades of Night Descending gets some flak for its production and more death/doom sound than funeral doom, but I'd still give it 8/10. And it's my least favorite of theirs.

Their old keyboardist is the sole member of Krohm, a really good depressive/atmospheric black metal band. I'd recommend The Haunting Presence to fans of Neige (Alcest, Les Discrets, Lantlôs) and other similar bands.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."