Engineered by Flemming Rasmussen
Recorded, Sept.-Dec. 1985 at Sweet Silence Studios, Copenhagen, Denmark
Mixed by Michael Wagener at Amigo Studios, North Hollywood, CA
Assistant mixing engineer: Mark Wilzcak
Mastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound

All lyrics by Hetfield. All arrangements by Hetfield/Ulrich
Cover concept: Metallica and Peter Mensch
Cover illustration: Don Brautigam
Back cover photos: Cliff - Rich Likong / Kirk - Ross Halfin / Lars - Rob Ellis / James - Ross Halfin

Guest review by
Iced Iñigo
Rating:
A classic between classics and the top of Metallica like a band. The album that made history, the cd of the cds, the best album of the best band. The album that any person who wants to know what is that world called Metal music needs to have, and listen to.

From the intro of "Battery" to the last guitar riff of "Damage Inc." the cd is just perfect, incredible and all the adjectives you want. In this album Metallica composed the song of songs: "Master of Puppets", astonishing. 8 minutes 38 seconds of pure Metal. The virtuosity on composing of Metallica appears clearly in that song. In Master of Puppets some songs are really dark and paranoid like "The Thing that should not Be". A ballad is also included, which is called "Welcome Home " and Metallica still includes in this album an instrumental track: "Orion"

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (125)

Guest review by
Motoroverkill
Rating:
Master of Puppets is a master class in structuring an album, The tracks and the way they're ordered is near perfection. A landmark album. Master Of Puppets is a timeless classic, A hybrid, Which features the best characteristics of many different kinds of metal. Many people consider it one of the greatest albums of all time and for good reason.

Read more ››
published 25.01.2010 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Cal Wolvington
Rating:
I know I am in the minority here, but I don't care. Coffee is not as bad for you as everyone says it is, ten million Coldplay fans are wrong and Master Of Puppets is not Metallica's best album. This album is considered to be a classic and it is a great effort, but it is no Ride The Lightning. Master Of Puppets may have become more popular than Metallica's first two albums and it may be every critic's darling but that alone does not make it a better album or the greatest thrash record of all time. What matters is the music itself and therein lies my problem with considering this album a mind blowing masterpiece, which it is not.

Read more ››
published 06.06.2012 | Comments (67)

Found in 240 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 7

Comments: 187   Visited by: 4016 users
17.08.2014 - 13:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ke ke on 17.08.2014 at 10:59

Why some people love "Master of puppets"? cause it's old.

So that's the reason you think it's a good album?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2014 - 00:24
Rating: 9
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman

I can't really imagine anyone legitimately loving an album just because it's old. I think it's that they really enjoy listening to the songs on the album. This album came out almost 30 years ago now, and is still hugely popular, so it seems clear it is enjoyed by people of all ages - those that were around when it came out and young people discovering it for the first time today. I personally first got into this album back in about 1991 and have loved it ever since. I don't listen to it much these days but I might drag it out today and give it a spin. See if it still hits the mark.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
18.08.2014 - 01:11
Ganondox
Written by Jaeryd on 27.01.2013 at 07:04

Written by Valentin B on 26.01.2013 at 13:30

Needlework the way, never you betray
life of death becoming clearer
Pain monopoly, ritual misery
chop your breakfast on a mirror

This band used to write some of the best lyrics conceived in metal. It's astonishing to me how this band has decayed through the years to the point of crapping out abominations like Saint Anger and Lulu. Thankfully Death Magnetic was a decent album.

Yup, I'm with you. Unlike some other people, I thought that Death Magnetic was actually a pretty decent comeback. Hopefully whatever they do next will continue what they had with that, and Lulu will have no influence on the future of their music.

Lulu is a Lou Reed album, of course it's not going to have any influence on the rest of their music. It's much better if you listen to it as a Lou Reed album as well.
18.08.2014 - 01:19
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ace Frawley on 18.08.2014 at 00:24
I can't really imagine anyone legitimately loving an album just because it's old.

Why not? I'm assuming that's the only reason people still love my grandparents.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.08.2014 - 05:31
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.08.2014 at 01:19

I can't really imagine anyone legitimately loving an album just because it's old.

Well that's a bit sad if it really is the only reason some people still love you grandparents.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
18.08.2014 - 08:52
Rating: 7
ke ke
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.08.2014 at 13:26

So that's the reason you think it's a good album?

It's a good album but not the best of all time.not even the best metallica album.
18.08.2014 - 09:43
Ganondox
Written by deadone on 18.08.2014 at 06:03

Written by Ganondox on 18.08.2014 at 01:11

Lulu is a Lou Reed album, of course it's not going to have any influence on the rest of their music. It's much better if you listen to it as a Lou Reed album as well.

Apparently many Lou Reed fans hated it as well.

Like it or not, it's a Metallica and Lou Reed album. Metallica play on it and they wrote the music.

Lou Reed doesn't have any fans, he lost them all with Metal Machine Music. //end joke

Lou Reed fans hate Metallica and Metallica fans hate Lou Reed, so my point still stands that there is nothing reason to believe any future releases will be anything like Lulu.
18.08.2014 - 10:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Lulu is a Lou Reed album,...

It is as much a Metallicca album as it is a Lou Reed album, maybe even more Metallica than Lou Reed since Metallica wrote most of the stuff for it and played most of the music of it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2014 - 21:49
Ganondox
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.08.2014 at 10:58

Lulu is a Lou Reed album,...

It is as much a Metallicca album as it is a Lou Reed album, maybe even more Metallica than Lou Reed since Metallica wrote most of the stuff for it and played most of the music of it.

Still, my point is this album was made for a special project, a collab with Lou Reed, so there is absolutely no reason to believe it will have any impact on future Metallica albums.
26.10.2014 - 22:07
Rating: 10
Toxik
Written by taset9 on 21.06.2014 at 18:17

PPL this album is not heavy my grandma can listen this. This is lullaby for me. BTW Metallica sold ton of shit record and made metal more mainstream, I would accused them for defiling the pure metal.

But i don't like it because it isn't heave. Because he isn't. And you like Metal to Undergroung?
23.12.2014 - 21:01
Toxik
Written by Guest on 14.12.2014 at 00:16

Masterpiece. Best songs (in my opinion) are: Disposable Heroes, Damage, Inc. and Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - I think Master Of Puppets (song) is a bit overrated -.

I love Master Of Puppets so much because of that insannely awesome riff
20.01.2015 - 11:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Damn, I wonder if I got a shitty copy because even a youtube video of the album sounds bassier and chunkier than mine that has kind of a thin sound.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.02.2015 - 21:20
Muerda
Greatest metal album of all time!
19.04.2015 - 18:42
Maco
Pvt Funderground
^ It's a great album. But it's not even their best one.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
15.06.2015 - 09:44
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by zombieatemybrain on 14.06.2015 at 06:48

Hate them or love them, in the metal community, you HAVE to give respect to this.

No, I don't when I find literally half the songs decent at best.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
26.07.2015 - 17:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 15.06.2015 at 09:44

Written by zombieatemybrain on 14.06.2015 at 06:48

Hate them or love them, in the metal community, you HAVE to give respect to this.

No, I don't when I find literally half the songs decent at best.

I think its best TM album ever where all album are whit good songs and at same level. Its just album album, where song after song its good and strong. This why this band was in many aspects different as other music, best band. seems they grow out of teenage thrash party thing and try write adult thrash metal, where you don't jump and moshputm but simply listen album at home whit some good beer
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.07.2016 - 22:41
Joppe
Steelemeister
This could be great album, if not ruined by some overlong, boring and weak songs. On the other hand I'm a huge fan of the songs "Battery", "Welcome Home" and "Damage, Inc." so the album is kinda mixed listening experience for me. When I'm listening to this there's always at least some skipping, which already means that I cannot regard this album as high as the two previous masterpieces. This skipping often includes the album's title track which is to me just one of those ok songs that raises the question of should or should not I listen to this this time? It's that damn, slow middle part that turns the song from great to just ok.

I WOULD recommend this album to pussies, since about half of these songs aren't as extreme as that Metallica from their earlier albums.
----
My vision is augmented
17.08.2016 - 17:46
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.08.2014 at 01:19

I literally lol'd. This is why we need you back.
18.08.2016 - 02:41
Written by Joppe on 29.07.2016 at 22:41

This could be great album, if not ruined by some overlong, boring and weak songs. On the other hand I'm a huge fan of the songs "Battery", "Welcome Home" and "Damage, Inc." so the album is kinda mixed listening experience for me. When I'm listening to this there's always at least some skipping, which already means that I cannot regard this album as high as the two previous masterpieces. This skipping often includes the album's title track which is to me just one of those ok songs that raises the question of should or should not I listen to this this time? It's that damn, slow middle part that turns the song from great to just ok.

I WOULD recommend this album to pussies, since about half of these songs aren't as extreme as that Metallica from their earlier albums.

It's the Morricone and Bach-esque intros, as well as an interlude, and the recycling of riff which let the album down. It's a band trying to be progressive and really, it's all just window dressing. RTL was genuinely progressive. MOP is not.
10.11.2017 - 03:21
VIG
Account deleted
Written by lordosolivais on 16.02.2017 at 02:10

Pode não ser um dos maiores álbuns de todos os tempos do heavy metal, mas certamente chega perto em muitos aspectos.

This is an English speaking site only
19.11.2017 - 13:44
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I don't get the Lars bashing - at least on this album - the drums sound is perfect and he smashes the fuck out of them!
----
rekt
28.12.2017 - 20:40
Albert_Wesker_19
Account deleted
Its kinda an overrated album in metal community, but it doesn't quit the fact that master of puppets reflects just an incredibly composition and mix, songs like Orion, Battery or Sanitarium, pass the test of time!
23.01.2018 - 10:50
Dum-Grishnahk
Tony Iommi is a riff god and James Hetfield his prophet.
07.02.2018 - 20:05
escr_alien
Account deleted
Greatest metal album of all time, nuff said!
10.03.2018 - 02:03
(o> . <o> )
Ah fuck, gotta give it a 10. It's a classic, every time you revisit it it feels groovy and fresh like the first time. To me that's huge achievement.
05.10.2018 - 20:51
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
I have given up on 2018... just gonna have this on repeat instead for old times sake. Age finally caught me.
23.10.2018 - 03:54
Angelic Man
Account deleted
This is a bad album. The music is too aggressive and the lyrics are very bad (the only positive thing I can say is that they matured from K Em All). Where do I begin with this stupid album? Battery and Master of Puppets (obey your masters), Welcome Home (Sanitarium), and Damage Inc, could promote insanity, and Leper M criticizes Jesus (this song is worse than Jump in the Fire for the aforementioned reason). You shouldn't like this album. It is bad and could make you go insane and worship Satan.
23.10.2018 - 16:11
Zap
Written by Guest on 23.10.2018 at 03:54

This is a bad album. The music is too aggressive and the lyrics are very bad (the only positive thing I can say is that they matured from K Em All). Where do I begin with this stupid album? Battery and Master of Puppets (obey your masters), Welcome Home (Sanitarium), and Damage Inc, could promote insanity, and Leper M criticizes Jesus (this song is worse than Jump in the Fire for the aforementioned reason). You shouldn't like this album. It is bad and could make you go insane and worship Satan.

I too joined a metal forum to discover happy, feel-good music with inoffensive lyrics that I don't need to censor.
23.10.2018 - 21:42
Angelic Man
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 23.10.2018 at 16:11

Written by Guest on 23.10.2018 at 03:54

I too joined a metal forum to discover happy, feel-good music with inoffensive lyrics that I don't need to censor.

Great. We should team up to destroy metal and make it pay for the lives it has destroyed.
02.01.2019 - 22:35
Rating: 4
Maasai Mara
The single most overrated album in the history of heavy metal. Battery and the title track are good but the rest of the album is as average as average comes. This album in essence killed Metallica and derailed what was on course to be the greatest melodic thrash acts of all time. These bastards should have dissolved Metallica after the magnificent ride the lightning and started a new band altogether to produce the garbage that began taking root here and Metallica fed us with afterwards.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.

Hits total: 103379 | This month: 454