Metal Storm logo
Who is the most influential thrash band?

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 02.08.2006 - 22:31
Alright since the last thread was closed due to lack of clairity I have recreated it. This thread is the same as the thread I created on the old metalstorm. So what thrash metal band has had the biggest influence on METAL. In this thread the influence of the band is irrelevant unless it is an influence on metal and explain your choice don't just name a band or two.

So I think that the most influential thrash bands are Motorhead and Venom because they played a huge influence on all the thrash bands that began in the early 80's.
17.01.2007 - 06:37
Dragosani Kain
Account deleted
Slayer, man. It'd definitely have to be that. Trying to set preferences aside, if were to going on Thrash of all Thrash, Slayer.

The harsh vocals, steady guitar, and completely 'Thrash'ing Ideology.

Asides from that, personal preference, Megadeth. Keeping up hard guitar but also incorporating the finer style of "heavy" metal. Sort of like a merger of genres, not so much as to influence to other genres.
17.01.2007 - 07:34
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Hands down Slayer, they wernt the best, but the most well known, most listened to, most contriversal, and kids like that, and were influenced by that, and wanted to be like that, their image captured people, and gave them a good idea, so most defintaly Slayer were the most Influential thrash band.
17.01.2007 - 09:43
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Metallica I think is the most influential thrash band during that time period. Every thrash metal band that exists today pays strict homage to Metallica. I don't think Slayer was as fast, flawless and technical as Metallica when Slayer released their first album. It's quite the argument to say who was the most influential and there really isn't one band that was at the forefront more than another.
18.01.2007 - 16:05
devildriver86
it would either have to be metallica or slayer even tho i prefer metallica's music better i would have to say that slayer was more influential
19.01.2007 - 09:47
MeGaDeTh_fReAk
i love both Metallica and Slyer but i for me i think Megadeth
19.01.2007 - 09:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Metallica would be the most influential thrash BAND and Mustaine probably the most influential thrash guitarist due to the fact that he influenced both Kerry King and James Hetfield and his own guitarists, so he influenced THREE of the Big Four thrash bands.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2007 - 16:11
Havoc
Account deleted
I agree with the idea that the biggest inluence comes from Metallica. As for the ,,most trashlike" mentality...well, does anyone listen to Pantera?...I would also like to point out the strange obsessions Slayer has with war and doomsday...
09.03.2007 - 21:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Metallica by far the most influential at large.

Perhaps Slayer supplants them as the most influential within extreme metal.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.03.2007 - 03:41
Bitch Boy
Well during 80's I think it was Metallica, not only for thrash metal or metal itself. Nowadays Slayer is a big influence on lots of bands in thrash, death, metalcore and many more genres.
14.03.2007 - 00:02
FTW
Account deleted
Well Id say Metallica for kind of inventing the genre but Slayer perfected it and have been more consistent in releasing good thrash records.

But 1983 was a good year for both bands.
14.03.2007 - 00:44
Kharn
Account deleted
in my own opinion It is definetely between metallica and slayer. But you have remember others like exodus and anthrax...though they didn't get as big they had a huge effect on the thrash scene.

Very hard question to answer!
14.03.2007 - 06:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Easy, Venom. Some would consider them black metal, I would in no way consider them black metal, yet I would consider them thrash, and they formed in '78 and released the first album in '81. And they also influenced black metal as well as thrash.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.03.2007 - 02:28
selken
Irreligious
Written by Doc G. on 14.03.2007 at 06:06

Easy, Venom. Some would consider them black metal, I would in no way consider them black metal, yet I would consider them thrash, and they formed in '78 and released the first album in '81. And they also influenced black metal as well as thrash.

Venom?, if you think that Venom is Thrash metal, is OK, but i think that their style is most closer to Speed Metal.
----
18.03.2007 - 02:31
selken
Irreligious
Now my opinion
I prefer Slayer than Metallica, but Metallica has been more influential, there are more bands that cite Metallica as influences, Slayer did a good job opening the doors for death metal, they are both good bands (but Slayer is Better)
----
19.03.2007 - 03:07
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
I think Slayer or Metallica...
21.03.2007 - 09:02
visceraltorture
Account deleted
it is slayer if it is about thrash metal.....

i dont know if metallica has influenced any "THRASH" metal bands.... and they never played thrash after ...and justice for all.....

but look at the number of bands (extreme) that have covered raining blood.... that will tell you how influential slayer was... pantera, dark funeral, vader, behemoth, cannibal corpse, mortician (weird!!) etc. etc...... it just goes..... but people are forgetting how influential celtic frost was....

so metallica were never influential..... but slayer definitely was.....
22.03.2007 - 01:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
...Someone is re-writing their version of history. Metallica was undoubtedly extremely influential. It doesn't matter how their music shifted after "...AJFA..." as their prior albums were their best and most influential. And, frankly, I think you could pretty much say the same about most other big thrash bands. Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth... all their best work was in the 80's or very early 90's.

Honestly, I don't even know if I can begin to attempt to debate you rationally on this... and I prefer Slayer and Anthrax to Metallica...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.03.2007 - 12:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 21.03.2007 at 09:02

so metallica were never influential..... but slayer definitely was.....

What kind of immensely moronic statement is this? Metallica never influential

I guess you better read up on thrash history... Metallica influenced even bands such as Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Exodus, Dark Angel. Because of Metallica's demos and Kill ' em All album these bands started playing heavier, faster, tried to master their instruments better etc. etc. All those bands will even admit to that themselves.
Someone saying Metallica wasn't influential to thrash whatsoever clearly has no grasp of thrash and its history at all. You better check out Get Thrashed: The Story of Thrash metal once it is released because then you'll hear all the big thrash bands talk about how much of an influence Metallica has been.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.04.2007 - 19:55
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Well I agree with the oringinal post, but I believe most work by Venom and Motorhead are considered Speed or New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

The most influential fully Thrash playing bands are Overkill, Slayer, Metallica and Megadeth. Metallica because as stated by Marcel they heavily influenced the best Thrash bands, Megadeth wasnt really influential itself but Dave Mustaine's guitar riffs were, I think Overkill is considered the first official thrash band so that speaks for itself and Slayer fricken created Death Metal, influenced Thrash and Black Metal heavily with the album Reign In Blood.
30.04.2007 - 20:58
Darktonny
Account deleted
Written by selken on 18.03.2007 at 02:28

Venom?, if you think that Venom is Thrash metal, is OK, but i think that their style is most closer to Speed Metal.

It is difficult to put Venom into any style, but I think they were the main influence for thrash metal. So I vot for Venom too.
01.05.2007 - 06:27
selken
Irreligious
Written by Guest on 30.04.2007 at 20:58

Written by selken on 18.03.2007 at 02:28

It is difficult to put Venom into any style, but I think they were the main influence for thrash metal. So I vot for Venom too.

Well, if you are talking about bands that pionnered thrash Venom aplies, but is similar to the influence of Led Zeppelin in Heavy Metal, they were influential, but they didn't fit EXACTLY in the Heavy metal genre, back to the point, Venom were highly influential, but their influential era (81-85) was not 100% thrash.
----
01.05.2007 - 07:49
Warman
Erotic Stains
No doubt, Metallica of course. For me it's so obvious that it's hard to explain why. First of all we do not only have a LOT of thrash bands influenced by them, but their popularity among the world also influence kids to pick up an instrument and play on their own. And please, how many haven't got into Metal just because of this band?
----
01.05.2007 - 10:14
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 01.05.2007 at 07:49

No doubt, Metallica of course. For me it's so obvious that it's hard to explain why. First of all we do not only have a LOT of thrash bands influenced by them, but their popularity among the world also influence kids to take up an instrument and play on their own. And please, how many haven't got into Metal just because of this band?

stole my words.. the only difference is that I came into metal through Megadeth (and in a lower lovel, Helloween's first album)
13.06.2007 - 09:10
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
I think common sence would suggest Metallica given the size and popularity of the band. Many young metal bands have either played metallica covers or a least learnt them... So inevitably that influence would reflect to a point in their own music. Don't confuse me for being a Metallica fan please, i'm just stating the facts.
13.06.2007 - 12:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 29.04.2007 at 19:55

Well I agree with the oringinal post, but I believe most work by Venom and Motorhead are considered Speed or New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

Blood.

Those bands has no NWOBHM
venom ist speed/black/thrashy metal or we can cal early wave of black metal but Motorhead its heavy/speed metal and whit punk elements
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.06.2007 - 18:44
orathac
Account deleted
Possessed, Destruction and Sodom those are for me
And afte those 3 there are Exodus, Metallica and Slayer and maybe i a litle Anthrax
15.06.2007 - 00:03
graywolf87
Account deleted
metallica for being the most mainstream...after all even if you like rap you know what metallica is

...my opinion I would take Motorhead for the influence on bands like metallica and the rest of early thrashers.
15.06.2007 - 00:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 15.06.2007 at 00:03

metallica for being the most mainstream...after all even if you like rap you know what metallica is

Hahh I saw in Sweden man who was rap fan who singing 'Im priener, Im free man' Iron Maiden song
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.06.2007 - 00:49
graywolf87
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 15.06.2007 at 00:18

Written by Guest on 15.06.2007 at 00:03

Hahh I saw in Sweden man who was rap fan who singing 'Im priener, Im free man' Iron Maiden song

hah...I once talked to this rap guy who liked pantera...he said "panter fucking heavy shit man!"...then he started rapping like 50 cent again.
15.06.2007 - 01:12
Robstar
I must say Kreator followed by Antrax , why? Because through the years they have been evolving and they have never change they ''north'' if ya know what I mean.... Thrash rules!
----
Nothing is unreacheable