Metal Storm logo
Who is the most influential thrash band?

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 02.08.2006 - 22:31
Alright since the last thread was closed due to lack of clairity I have recreated it. This thread is the same as the thread I created on the old metalstorm. So what thrash metal band has had the biggest influence on METAL. In this thread the influence of the band is irrelevant unless it is an influence on metal and explain your choice don't just name a band or two.

So I think that the most influential thrash bands are Motorhead and Venom because they played a huge influence on all the thrash bands that began in the early 80's.
18.05.2008 - 18:24
Muhannad Saleh
www.jorzine.com
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.02.2008 at 15:48

Written by Bad English on 23.12.2007 at 03:13

Written by Bulletdodger on 23.12.2007 at 02:32

Metallica for sure it's the easiest to listen to , the lyrics are great , the music might not be as trash as Slayer but I'm sure that 90% of those who like thrash started with Metallica.

I dunno how start others but seems we all start whit metallica, seems only marcel start whit other bands who play before metallica

Of course with proper full-blooded thrash I started with Metallica. I remember hearing the No Life Till Leather demo at a friends house in January 1983 and being totally blown away. This demo was the FIRST TRUE thrash metal music ever recorded. I of course listened to bands such as Venom before that but althoguh they influenced thrash they really weren't thrash, or else you might call Motorhead thrash as well.

yeha you cant call motorhead thrash but also you cant deny the influnce they made to alot of bands who started the thrash metal such as venom , metallica ...etc motorhead music more into heavy but the theme of their vocals and lyrics is thrashy to me . so as i said before motorhead was the transporting point from heavy to thrash . with songs like the ace of spade and overkill .. but i dont call them thrash metal band .
07.10.2009 - 04:33
ToMegaTherion
The most influention is more often than not the most popular or well known. But first in order to comment accurately you must say influential in what way, musically, introducing people to metal, copy acts?
Musically (I would argue that Slayer is the most influential in terms of the "Thrash Metal" scene with a number of sub genres expanding on thrash in later years by add elements to bands that arn't too different to Slayer)
Fans (It would have to be Metallica, everyone knows the name wether they have heard them play or not, it is a house hold name and usually the first band people think to listen to in their curiosity, though not always, it depend on the people around you. Although Megadeth are also a source of curiosity for alot of people)
As for copy acts (No doubt it would be Metallica again.)
07.10.2009 - 07:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ToMegaTherion on 07.10.2009 at 04:33

Musically (I would argue that Slayer is the most influential in terms of the "Thrash Metal" scene with a number of sub genres expanding on thrash in later years by add elements to bands that arn't too different to Slayer)

And by whom were Slayer influenced? Yep, Metallica. So, I would say that musically Metallica is also the most influential. Due to Metallica's demos SLayer changed from a cover band to a thrash band and wanting to be as fast and as aggressive as possible.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.10.2009 - 01:05
ToMegaTherion
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.10.2009 at 07:59

Written by ToMegaTherion on 07.10.2009 at 04:33

And by whom were Slayer influenced? Yep, Metallica. So, I would say that musically Metallica is also the most influential. Due to Metallica's demos SLayer changed from a cover band to a thrash band and wanting to be as fast and as aggressive as possible.

Actually I would argue the validity of that, Since Slayer and Metallica both started at the same time. Slayers influences would probably have been more along the lines of Motorhead and Venom, and not at all Metallica.
08.10.2009 - 07:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ToMegaTherion on 08.10.2009 at 01:05

Actually I would argue the validity of that, Since Slayer and Metallica both started at the same time. Slayers influences would probably have been more along the lines of Motorhead and Venom, and not at all Metallica.

Slayer even admits being influenced by the Metallica demos. Yes they started at the same time but Slayer at that time only played covers whereas Metallica already wrote their own songs. Hit The Lights was the first song Metallica wrote and was featured on Metal Massacre I which Slayer also heard. That song plus, the aforementioned demos, triggered Slayer into writing their own stuff and speeding up their sound.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.12.2010 - 14:55
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Can't believe i haven't replied to this post. THE fathers of Thrash metal are of course Venom, and no other band. they influenced Metallica and Megadeth and all the rest of the first wave of american thrash bands, playing faster, louder, dirtier and heavier than any other band that i can think of in december 1981, before Metallica even released its first demo, hell, before Hetfield even had decent guitar skills.

and perfecting the sound of agressive, faster than over the top thrash metal in 1982 before any other band that was mentioned here had recorded an album. and already the guys at Venom had 2 monstrously heavy and terrifying full-lengths. fast as fuck and heavy riffs, aggressive drumming, lo-fi sound and evil lyrics, you can all trace them back to Venom in the end.

just look at this picture

LOOK AT IT
30.12.2010 - 15:18
JD
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 30.12.2010 at 14:55

Can't believe i haven't replied to this post. THE fathers of Thrash metal are of course Venom, and no other band. they influenced Metallica and Megadeth

Wow! Thanks for sharing this photo!
03.01.2011 - 20:02
CzirjakMan
Anvil anyone? Pretty overlooked if you ask me, all the hugest thrash and even rock bands have something to say about Anvil. Right up there with Venom and Motorhead
04.01.2011 - 10:50
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by CzirjakMan on 03.01.2011 at 20:02

Anvil anyone? Pretty overlooked if you ask me, all the hugest thrash and even rock bands have something to say about Anvil. Right up there with Venom and Motorhead

You just summoned Marcel...
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
04.01.2011 - 10:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by vezzy on 04.01.2011 at 10:50

ALthough Anvil were influential with Metal On Metal and Forged IN Fire they didn't play thrash, just like Venom and Motörhead didn't play thrash, hence those three cannot be called influential thrash bands
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.01.2011 - 18:39
CzirjakMan
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.01.2011 at 10:53

Written by vezzy on 04.01.2011 at 10:50

ALthough Anvil were influential with Metal On Metal and Forged IN Fire they didn't play thrash, just like Venom and Motörhead didn't play thrash, hence those three cannot be called influential thrash bands

Okay okay you got me, I didn't think of that. I'd go with Metallica then probably. Closely followed by Slayer
04.01.2011 - 21:15
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by Valentin B on 30.12.2010 at 14:55

Can't believe i haven't replied to this post. THE fathers of Thrash metal are of course Venom, and no other band. they influenced Metallica and Megadeth and all the rest of the first wave of american thrash bands, playing faster, louder, dirtier and heavier than any other band that i can think of in december 1981, before Metallica even released its first demo, hell, before Hetfield even had decent guitar skills.

and perfecting the sound of agressive, faster than over the top thrash metal in 1982 before any other band that was mentioned here had recorded an album. and already the guys at Venom had 2 monstrously heavy and terrifying full-lengths. fast as fuck and heavy riffs, aggressive drumming, lo-fi sound and evil lyrics, you can all trace them back to Venom in the end.

just look at this picture

LOOK AT IT

I'd still say Metallica. I agree that Venom should be credited as the Fathers of Thrash, but they still might not be responsible for it's success.

If you look at Rap, the guy who invented it was a guy named DJ Kool Herc, but even some the most saavy hip-hop heads will be like "Who the fuck is that guy?". Without rappers/groups like Tupac, Biggie, NWA, Easy-E, Rakim etc. Rap might have stayed a NY underground thing forever. (Which I'm sure a lot of you wouldn't mind)

I was only a little kid when Metallica was at their best, but to my older cousins and family they were like Tupac and Biggie combined in terms of Metal.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
26.02.2011 - 09:46
VloRD
MetallicA, their contribution to metal on the whole is so huge, and no doubts they are the reason for the success of thrash
----
26.02.2011 - 10:13
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by VloRD on 26.02.2011 at 09:46

MetallicA, their contribution to metal on the whole is so huge, and no doubts they are the reason for the success of thrash

They may be the main reason, but they are not THE reason.
26.02.2011 - 10:21
VloRD
Written by Guest on 26.02.2011 at 10:13

Written by VloRD on 26.02.2011 at 09:46

They may be the main reason, but they are not THE reason.

hmm, yeah they are one of the main reasons, meant to say that.
----
04.03.2011 - 05:59
SlaytanicGonzo
To me, it's a tie between Metallica and Slayer.
Slayer inspired virtually every Thrash/Death/Black band to come. (I'd say more than Venom, since only their first 2 albums are notable).
And Metallica, well, Metallica inspired every single Metal band to come (and even some not metal bands), even Slayer.

Oh, and even though I can see Motorhead's influence on the genre, I think they are nowhere near Thrash. I'd say, not even Metal. In their first albums they were basically a Punk band.
20.05.2011 - 17:07
Razorback
There are few bands that inspired lot of younger bands,but i think Metallica has the strongest influence.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
23.05.2011 - 07:28
Sammol
Metallica for Thrash metal bands
Slayer for Death Metal bands
Megadeth for Hardrock/heavy metal bands
Anthrax = I don't know
23.05.2011 - 07:32
Yasmine
It doesn't have to be one of those 4. lol Nor do I think it has to be the most popular, as many prog bands will cite Crimson Glory just as much as Queensryche. Samething with all genres.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
27.05.2011 - 02:39
king_matt
Exodus. They are so influential in the modern thrash scene to almost to the point of ridiculousness. If only Bonded By Blood was released earlier, Exodus would have been more influential to 80s thrash.

Written by Sammol on 23.05.2011 at 07:28

Metallica for Thrash metal bands
Slayer for Death Metal bands
Megadeth for Hardrock/heavy metal bands
Anthrax = I don't know

Anthrax = Nu-metal (touring with Public Enemy, ect.)
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
27.05.2011 - 23:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
When Exodus started they didn't play thrash they played loads of covers and normal heavy metal they only started playing thrash when Metallica had already released their demo
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.05.2011 - 00:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.05.2011 at 23:46

When Exodus started they didn't play thrash they played loads of covers and normal heavy metal they only started playing thrash when Metallica had already released their demo

Exactly! As much as many metal fans would be loath to admit it, the answer is quite obviously Metallica. The other early thrash bands who many like to claim "started thrash", such as Exodus, Overkill, and Slayer were all playing covers, and more traditional metal until Metallica came out with the No Life Till Leather demo and being on the Metal Massacre compilation. I dunno how anyone could say any thrash band was more influential in the 80's than Metallica. Even guys like Kerry King and Gary Holt talk of how blown away they were hearing Metallica's really early stuff. lol
18.06.2011 - 21:38
Mattybu
Written by king_matt on 27.05.2011 at 02:39

Anthrax is more like fun-infused thrash. They put out a lot of undeniable thrash, and just a lot of their stuff they do for fun. They just don't take themselves too seriously, which I like.
19.06.2011 - 06:56
king_matt
Written by Mattybu on 18.06.2011 at 21:38

Written by king_matt on 27.05.2011 at 02:39

Anthrax is more like fun-infused thrash. They put out a lot of undeniable thrash, and just a lot of their stuff they do for fun. They just don't take themselves too seriously, which I like.

I agree, that's what I like a lot about Anthrax.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
21.06.2011 - 05:06
Guib
Thrash Talker
Oh you guys can argue all you want about which band in general is the more influential thrash band ever... but to state only my personal approach on Thrash Metal.. the most influential to me is clearly Exodus.. Actually it made me discover another part of thrash metal I was not ready for. Exodus made me discover raw and more brutal thrash metal back in the days. It would be what got me more into the scene so I go for Exodus as a personal choice.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.06.2011 - 20:36
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 21.06.2011 at 05:06

Oh you guys can argue all you want about which band in general is the more influential thrash band ever... but to state only my personal approach on Thrash Metal.. the most influential to me is clearly Exodus.. Actually it made me discover another part of thrash metal I was not ready for. Exodus made me discover raw and more brutal thrash metal back in the days. It would be what got me more into the scene so I go for Exodus as a personal choice.

I think Exodus is a pretty cool choice. The vocals on Bonded By Blood I paved the way for thrash to become more extreme. Bonded by Blood was already recorded an entire year before release. So imagine how people would regard it if it was released in 1984. Having said that, I think the most infuential thrash band is Metallica, and this is coming from a massive Megadeth fanboy. They are the most well known metal band, and they''ve influenced countless bands outside of metal too. There are countless reasons why I consider Metallica the most influential, all of them pretty much already discussed on the thread. So after Metallica I consider Sepultura to be pretty influential, mainly because of their Roots album, yes it's not a thrash album, but in the same way the Black album influenced musicians, Roots also influenced a whole load of people. Unfortunately it seems to be mainly nu-metal and metalcore bands, but album is highly influential still. Those genres have mass appeal, not only to people who listen to metal, but outside of it too.
22.06.2011 - 20:38
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 22.06.2011 at 20:36

Written by Guib on 21.06.2011 at 05:06

I think Exodus is a pretty cool choice. The vocals on Bonded By Blood I paved the way for thrash to become more extreme. Bonded by Blood was already recorded an entire year before release. So imagine how people would regard it if it was released in 1984. Having said that, I think the most infuential thrash band is Metallica, and this is coming from a massive Megadeth fanboy. They are the most well known metal band, and they''ve influenced countless bands outside of metal too. There are countless reasons why I consider Metallica the most influential, all of them pretty much already discussed on the thread. So after Metallica I consider Sepultura to be pretty influential, mainly because of their Roots album, yes it's not a thrash album, but in the same way the Black album influenced musicians, Roots also influenced a whole load of people. Unfortunately it seems to be mainly nu-metal and metalcore bands, but album is highly influential still. Those genres have mass appeal, not only to people who listen to metal, but outside of it too.

agreed
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.07.2011 - 22:56
BrightNight
I dont get the "metallica put out the demo first, and because of that slayer started playing Thrash only then" ?

Slayer's style of playing is 'quite' different than Metallica's sound, so is exodus. Some guys overhere talk like Slayer would not be if there was no Metallica demo tape back in the day.....Metallica deserves lots of credits i know, but not that.

I would really love to see any interview by Kerry King or Gary Holt saying they started playing Thrash because of Metallica's Demo...

Anyway, this being said its clear that due to Metallica's major influence Thrash metal got really big and started to appeal to a wider audience. But they did not do it alone. Slayer took a more extremer direction with thrash and are pioneers in their own right for that.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
15.07.2011 - 01:41
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by BrightNight on 14.07.2011 at 22:56

I dont get the "metallica put out the demo first, and because of that slayer started playing Thrash only then" ?

Slayer's style of playing is 'quite' different than Metallica's sound, so is exodus. Some guys overhere talk like Slayer would not be if there was no Metallica demo tape back in the day.....Metallica deserves lots of credits i know, but not that.

I would really love to see any interview by Kerry King or Gary Holt saying they started playing Thrash because of Metallica's Demo...

Anyway, this being said its clear that due to Metallica's major influence Thrash metal got really big and started to appeal to a wider audience. But they did not do it alone. Slayer took a more extremer direction with thrash and are pioneers in their own right for that.

I heard in an interview Kerry King talking about how he used to go to clubs to watch Mustaine play with Metallica, and how he massively influenced him. Before that, Slayer were pretty much just a NWOBHM band.
15.07.2011 - 02:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 15.07.2011 at 01:41

Written by BrightNight on 14.07.2011 at 22:56

I heard in an interview Kerry King talking about how he used to go to clubs to watch Mustaine play with Metallica, and how he massively influenced him. Before that, Slayer were pretty much just a NWOBHM band.

Slayer were a cover band as were Exodus and their very early song were (I am talking about Exodus now) more standard heavy metal.
Both bands have been recorded on film as to saying that they switched their sound once Metallica released No Life Tilll Letaher same for Anthrax and Overkill btw,
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996