Metal Storm logo
Emperor

06.08.2006 - 22:23
Basso
Account deleted
I just saw my all-time favorite band Emperor live at Wacken 2006. And I now see that theese almighty guys doesnt even have a thread here! Well here I am to worship the Emperor. Lets chat a little about Emperor.

What do you think about Emperor and why?
What is your fav. albums / songs / cover art
Is there any --> good <-- similar bands to any of Emperor's diffrent sounds.

You get the idea mates just get a discussion running of this awesome band.

And one more thing, no meaningless posts like "Emperor sucks" or "Emperor rocks". Please put a little more effort, its more fun to read for everyone.

/Cheers Basso
06.08.2006 - 22:38
Baz Anderson
Staff
wow. i didnt realise they didnt have a thread

i wish i could have seen them live! the festivals they are playing at are all miles and miles away from here and i just dont have the money

Emperor used to be my all time favorite band - i loved them so much, i still do i guess but i just havent listened to much black metal in such a long time (i really dont think the sub-category for this should be 'symphonic' black metal - i mean they didnt go all Dimmu Borgir on us did they)

my favorite album was always either 'Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk' or 'Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire And Demise' depending on my mood
they are both truly fantastic albums indeed. if i had to pick one though, it would be the 1997 masterpiece

i really have to listen to them again some time soon. they are such a fantastic band
06.08.2006 - 22:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Well, Dimmu Borgir is not the best example of Sympho Black either.

Anyway, I have done my best to find some good stuff of this band, but I didn't like it. It is true, it has been some time since my last listen, but I wasn't too amazed back then. I prefer old Dimmu, Kataxu (special thanks to Basso ), Anorexia Nervosa, old Cradle or whatever.

I respect what they did for black metal, but they never managed to grab me.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
06.08.2006 - 22:46
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Emperor are the creators of majestic black metal. IMO their first two albums(In The Nightside Eclipse and Anthems To The Weilkin At Dusk) are masterpieces, i also like Equilibrium but Prometheus.... it was a good album but from Emperor you don't expect just a good album.
06.08.2006 - 22:46
Basso
Account deleted
@ Baz Anderson : Yes Emperor is fuckin amazing and its really a shame you never saw them live. I was so fuckin happy when I say them yesterday man. The setlist was so fuckin awesome. I will type it later if there is any intrest. (Screw the genre I dont know what to cathegorize them as since they have a diffrent style on each album xD)

@ Nervel : To bad they didnt catch your attention. But how much have you heard? I would recommend you to give their discography another spin. (About Kataxu you are more than welcome"

@ Fimbultvetr : I think Prometheus is even better than IX Equilibirum if I have to rank them , but I dont really want to do that since I really love all albums really much. But In The Nightside Eclipse and Anthems To The Welkin at Dusk is without doubt the most defining releases.
06.08.2006 - 22:51
Baz Anderson
Staff
haha yeh. i would just put it as plain black metal - then it just covers any sort of black metal there can be. haha
yeh - i would really be interested to see what songs they played!
they never played anything from 'Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire And Demise' ever because they did no touring after they had released it - i will definatly be interested to hear if they have played some stuff from that live now
i would love to hear what it sounds like too!!
i really hope someone gets the video of a new live show and puts it on the internet

Nervel: yeh, me again. haha - its like a bad dream!
hahaha.
yeh - definatly try them again. i mean i didnt really connect with them when i first heard them at all - but then one night i went to bed and took 'Anthems...' with me and i just loved them since
06.08.2006 - 22:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Heard stuff from 'Anthems', 'Wrath Of The Tyrant' and 'Prometheus'. Pretty much covers, I'd say. I'll give it another spin, when I have time.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
06.08.2006 - 22:57
Baz Anderson
Staff
yeees
i do have to confess i love the band, but cant bear listening to 'Wrath Of The Tyrant'
production? what production.. hahaha. its awful to listen to
the 'Emperor' demo is much much better
06.08.2006 - 23:02
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
haha yeh. i would just put it as plain black metal - then it just covers any sort of black metal there can be. haha
yeh - i would really be interested to see what songs they played!
they never played anything from 'Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire And Demise' ever because they did no touring after they had released it - i will definatly be interested to hear if they have played some stuff from that live now

Nah, that was because they saw 'Prometheus' as a whole story, as one song. And it was too long to play it every concert, as the fans would demand the classics. That's what I heard.

Nervel: yeh, me again. haha - its like a bad dream!
hahaha.

:scared:

yeh - definatly try them again. i mean i didnt really connect with them when i first heard them at all - but then one night i went to bed and took 'Anthems...' with me and i just loved them since

I'll do that. I'm listening to Prometheus right now. (I already like the vocals). I might as well download entire Anthems and Nightside.

EDIT: I fucked up the entire post. Now bold is me, normal is you.
----

06.08.2006 - 23:06
Baz Anderson
Staff
yes - the thing that made 'Prometheus...' so much better for me was going through it with the lyrics as well!!
it makes it complete. there is so much more to gain from the album when you read the story with it as well
its fantastic!
06.08.2006 - 23:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Though, I don't really mind the production of Wrath. It is not too bad.

Currently listening to: 'Cosmic Keys To My Creations And Times'. Which album is it from?
----

06.08.2006 - 23:28
Basso
Account deleted
@ Nervel : Cosmic Keys To My Creations And Times is an In The Nightside Eclipse classic but it is also on Wrath of The Tyrant .

@ Baz Anderson : Well the setlist was somewhat like this (Might be a little diffrent in order, dont really remember it was just to good to really catch the whole experiance) :

1. Into The Infinity Of Thoughts
2. Cosmic Keys To My Creations & Times
3. Thus Spake The Nightspirit
4. An Elegy of Icaros
5. Curse You All Men!
6. With Strenght I Burn
7. Towards The Pantheon
8. Loss And Curse of Reverance
9. In The Worldless Chamber <----- PROMETHEUS SONG FUCKIN AWESOME LIVE!!! (Guess your theory of it never played live sucked LOL )
10. I Am The Black Wizards <----- Here Ihsahn leaves the stage and gets his old "Klvt" metal spiked shoulders from the "Curse And Loss of Reverance Video".
11. Inno A Satana

There might have been a song I forgot, but I dont think so. Well anyway I am so happy I got to see them live, the show was just too fuckin awesome!

PS: About you guys talking about Wrath of The Tyrant. I really like that album. I love the raw evil and "necro" sound it has.
Best songs from Wrath of the Tyrant is in my opinion :

Moon Over Kara-Shehr
My Empire's Doom
Lord Of The Storms (the rawest version)
Wrath Of The Tyrant (the rawest version)

I know thoose songs might be a little to raw for most people but damn I cant stop loving them. So catchy and evil!
06.08.2006 - 23:54
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Anthems would definitely be my favorite Emperor album. Although Equilibrium and Nightside Eclipse have great melodies, none pierce my ears with the harshness of Anthems. To all those who haven't heard Ihsahn's "The Adversary" I recommend it to all. It is a little bit softer but nevertheless a beautiful album, with definite hints of Emperor inside!
----
Brujerizmo!
07.08.2006 - 00:13
Basso
Account deleted
@ Konrad : Yes indeed The Adversary is good, but not even close to anything Ihsahn released together with Samoth. It also has a very low replay value (atleast for me :O).
07.08.2006 - 17:09
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I had learned to praise IX Equilibrium and Prometheus MUCH more than their "classic" albums... their demo and Wrath Of The Tyrant have good songs bu sound like crap, In The Nightside Eclipse has good shit but vocals sound annoying, the prodiction of "Anthems..." is terrible and make difficult to enjoy the music but their last two albums are close to perfection, very original with a nice progressive sound, well played and what is also is important, a production that make them listenable.
07.08.2006 - 20:01
Basso
Account deleted
@ Southern Wind : A very unique way of thinking there, but I actually understand it ( to a certain degree ^^)
07.08.2006 - 22:29
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I actually like all of their albums. Prometheus was my favorite Emperor album for a while just because of the first couple tracks. I think Ihsahn's vocals were at their weakest for The Adversary and Prometheus though.

Usually poor production quality annoys me, but I think In the Nightside Eclipse is an amazing album. I especially like the Bathory cover.
07.08.2006 - 23:16
Baz Anderson
Staff
"Guess your theory of it never played live sucked LOL"
i was not saying i didnt think they would play it live, all i was saying is they never did play anything from that album live because they did not tour with it and split up streight after
this is the first time they are together playing live again with that album out
08.08.2006 - 01:13
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Emperor is one the best black metal bands out there... great musicians such as Ihsahn, genious.
IX Equilibrium was nice.. Curse you all men! is a great song... Anthems To The Welkins At Dusk was also great.. The Loss And Curse Of Reverence is my favorite track.
similiars band...none really IMO.
08.08.2006 - 10:34
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Im surprised there wasnt an Emperor thread too. I swear i have seen one recently..... oh well.
I was first introduced with Emperor in reverse chronological order, having heard Prometheus as my first album and boy was i impressed. It had been a while since i had heard some decent symphonic black metal and this amazed me. The other albums that impressed me were of course In The Nightside Ecclipse and Anthems. For all those who enjoy Promotheus and havent heard Ihsahns solo album, definately check it out, its almost a slightly proggie continuation to the album.
08.08.2006 - 18:31
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 07.08.2006 at 23:16

"Guess your theory of it never played live sucked LOL"
i was not saying i didnt think they would play it live, all i was saying is they never did play anything from that album live because they did not tour with it and split up streight after
this is the first time they are together playing live again with that album out

Haha yes I know, I am just getting a little too proud of seeing them live for my own good :/

Its nice to see that there still is Emperor fans on metalstorm!
08.08.2006 - 20:43
Judas
The Amputator
@Basso: How awesome was their setlist at Wacken?! My life felt made after watching them there. Their mix was crap for the first 3 songs (I had to guess what they were based on Trym's drumming, because I could barely hear the rest of the band), but after that it was unbelievable.

After Wacken, at Hamburg airport, the band were standing in front of me in the check-in queue. I had a bit of a chat with Ihsahn, and got a photo with him .
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
08.08.2006 - 21:01
Baz Anderson
Staff
its alright for some people isnt it. haha - some people have all the luck
08.08.2006 - 22:22
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
I love Emperor!! I especially like In the Nightside Eclipse. I saw them live a few weeks a ago. That was the best concert I ever attended!!
08.08.2006 - 23:52
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Judas on 08.08.2006 at 20:43

@Basso: How awesome was their setlist at Wacken?! My life felt made after watching them there. Their mix was crap for the first 3 songs (I had to guess what they were based on Trym's drumming, because I could barely hear the rest of the band), but after that it was unbelievable.

After Wacken, at Hamburg airport, the band were standing in front of me in the check-in queue. I had a bit of a chat with Ihsahn, and got a photo with him .

Oh fuck thats awesome man! I myself got all my Emperor cd's signed by them at the wacken signing and took photos with them all there. Not as good as meeting at the airport but it still made my life worth living. And I totally agree that the setlist was fuckin amazing, I love all the songs on it so much I cant find any better setlist even if i tried.
09.08.2006 - 01:58
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
You guys are so fuckin lucky
09.08.2006 - 07:01
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Soooo, so lucky
09.08.2006 - 07:54
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I ordered 'In The Nightside Eclipse' over 6 weeks ago and im really starting to get pissed off ... they said it would be in between 2-3 weeks, now its bloody rediculous!

Havent heard much of them but the tracks i have a really liked and ordered this album on faith, all this waiting is really annoying me because im not as keen on listening to it as i was when i ordered it ... still, im really looking forward
----

Hellcunt Smurf
09.08.2006 - 12:29
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
You wont go wrong with In The Nightside Eclipse if you like your old school black metal
09.08.2006 - 18:28
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.08.2006 at 12:29

You wont go wrong with In The Nightside Eclipse if you like your old school black metal

Or if you like good music.