+ Sacred Worlds [video]
+ A Journey To The Edge Of Time (Studio Documentary) [video]

The Best Power Metal Album Of 2010
Top 20 albums of 2010: 14
Featured in "Getting Into: Blind Guardian"

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The bards have come out of the forest. Yes, the Blind Guardians are back baby! And did they ever do it in style. Surely one of the year's most anticipated albums, At The Edge Of Time is sure to rank high on personal lists for a while.

Hit in the face with the 9+ minute long opening masterpiece "Sacred World", I had to replay it for half an hour before being able to continue on with the rest of the album. Majestic orchestral intro, grand entrance killer riffs, and vocals to die for. The first thought that went through my head at that exact time "This is already better than the entire previous album". Hell, this is Blind Guardian with a renewed energy and a hint of progressive influences I only dreamt about in the past.

Read more ››
published 21.09.2010 | Comments (86)

Found in 94 lists
Top lists

Comments page 7 / 8

Comments: 222   Visited by: 2316 users
13.10.2010 - 22:28
Rating: 5
hadriel
I've never really liked Power Metal, but decided to give this a shot. Wasn't very impressed. I don't understand the fascination with power metal that a lot of people on this site seem to share. The musicianship is there, but I can hardly distinguish the songs from one another...I just get bored. Obviously, I'm very biased here and not trying to hate on anyone or their opinions... but I honestly just can't seem to get into power metal even though this is supposedly one of best power metal releases of late. Maybe just not the genre for me?
13.10.2010 - 23:00
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by hadriel on 13.10.2010 at 22:28

but I honestly just can't seem to get into power metal even though this is supposedly one of best power metal releases of late. Maybe just not the genre for me?

Probably, but I certainly wouldn't call this one of the best PM albums I've heard in the last few years. Naturally, I think the album would be overrated regardless of how good it is, because it is a release from a very popular band.
13.10.2010 - 23:29
Rating: 10
Vikcen
Metálico

I've never really liked Power Metal, but decided to give this a shot. Wasn't very impressed. I don't understand the fascination with power metal that a lot of people on this site seem to share.

Is a sentence a bit wrong or unfortunate, i know perfectly when a musical genre i do not like, but i understand that other people might like it.

I also would give a 4 or 5 to the new album of Enslaved for example, but in my opinion i think it would be unfair, because i really do not like this style of music, and i would be voting on a disc just because i do not like the genre. Of course you are free to vote, it's just my opinion, but viewing your kind of post, i had to tell you this.
14.10.2010 - 16:38
Rating: 5
hadriel
Written by Vikcen on 13.10.2010 at 23:29

I've never really liked Power Metal, but decided to give this a shot. Wasn't very impressed. I don't understand the fascination with power metal that a lot of people on this site seem to share.

Is a sentence a bit wrong or unfortunate, i know perfectly when a musical genre i do not like, but i understand that other people might like it.

I also would give a 4 or 5 to the new album of Enslaved for example, but in my opinion i think it would be unfair, because i really do not like this style of music, and i would be voting on a disc just because i do not like the genre. Of course you are free to vote, it's just my opinion, but viewing your kind of post, i had to tell you this.

I understand that a lot of other people like it, I'm just curious as to why so many like it to such a huge extent that this is currently the 2nd highest rated album of the year.

I don't dislike the entire genre of power metal, there are actually a few power metal albums/bands that I really like. I just find as a whole, the genre tends to be monotonous and unoriginal. I understand where you're coming from on not rating an album based on the genre itself and I can see how my post could elude to the fact that this is what I did. But I actually attempted to rate it as subjectively as I could. A 5 isn't very bad when you think about it, it's right in the middle of all ratings. A lot of people seem almost afraid to rate any album below a 5 or 6 even if they are infact awful.
14.10.2010 - 17:51
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by hadriel on 14.10.2010 at 16:38

Written by Vikcen on 13.10.2010 at 23:29

I understand that a lot of other people like it, I'm just curious as to why so many like it to such a huge extent that this is currently the 2nd highest rated album of the year.

I don't dislike the entire genre of power metal, there are actually a few power metal albums/bands that I really like. I just find as a whole, the genre tends to be monotonous and unoriginal. I understand where you're coming from on not rating an album based on the genre itself and I can see how my post could elude to the fact that this is what I did. But I actually attempted to rate it as subjectively as I could. A 5 isn't very bad when you think about it, it's right in the middle of all ratings. A lot of people seem almost afraid to rate any album below a 5 or 6 even if they are infact awful.

Now i understand you .
18.10.2010 - 01:15
Rating: 9
Constantine
Orchestral version of Wheel of Time is f*ckin EPIC !
18.10.2010 - 20:40
Jamuflaknu
I don't know if it's the voice of the singer or just the characteristic sound of Blind Guardian (I find not very melodic and somehow disharmonic), but I just can't convince myself to like this album. At The Edge Of Time is definitely not bad, it's just that their earlier albums have something that makes them more accessible for me.
22.10.2010 - 14:48
Slayer666
Written by ponderer on 20.09.2010 at 17:24

Written by Mountain King on 15.09.2010 at 02:09

These bands stood the test of time and have influenced different genres. I think Black Metal is for posers and their satanic themes are very childish. U got to stop mocking Power Metal, Heavy Metal and Progressive Metal! These genres give quality, and im talking abt the good bands. U can find cheesy bands everywhere and mainly in Black Metal...

Forget about having an opinion here at MS that goes against anything the "extreme" tards deem unworthy because they'll continue to come out of the woodwork like cockroaches. It's not even worth wasting your time disagreeing any more. Just nod in silent placation knowing that you are actually right.

Dude... I have to ask... Are you a professional troll or something? That's the only reason I can think of to explain this kind of stupidity.
Since I see you're an internet tough-guy, I should probably get ready for a merciless virtual beating.

*shields on*
29.10.2010 - 16:12
Rating: 6
Vonpire
Extremely overrated album. I really don't get it...
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
17.12.2010 - 00:39
Luneth
Account deleted
Pretty brilliant...and I've never really even liked Blind Guardian as much as they're hyped, this album might have turned me into a fan xD
17.12.2010 - 02:11
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Guest on 17.12.2010 at 00:39

Pretty brilliant...and I've never really even liked Blind Guardian as much as they're hyped, this album might have turned me into a fan xD

Hehe, i remember this when it happened to me with Blind Guardian, i guess it is normal, i think it is a band hard to listen, you hate it or you love it, is not easily accessible in many cases (also it is a matter of taste of course, it is a unique kind of music). I listened a lot of Blind Guardian in the past, and never i liked them. But one day, when i listened the single "Battlefield" from the album of "A Night At The Opera", suddenly they hypnotized me with their music... now i'm a fan of them, i love their records.

30.12.2010 - 14:06
Gurth Bennas
The Most epic album I've had!
really nice powermetal album!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
01.01.2011 - 10:40
Karwyn
For me this is their best album since Imaginations, especially with the ballads!
06.01.2011 - 23:23
Rating: 8
dougver1
Awesome album!
20.01.2011 - 17:29
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by RavenKing on 22.09.2010 at 14:32

Written by ponderer on 20.09.2010 at 17:24

Forget about having an opinion here at MS that goes against anything the "extreme" tards deem unworthy because they'll continue to come out of the woodwork like cockroaches. It's not even worth wasting your time disagreeing any more. Just nod in silent placation knowing that you are actually right.

Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they are wrong. You just sound like one of those people stuck in the 80s who still believe old outdated standard metal is better than anything else.
Your delusional attitude won't change the fact that pretty much all those old bands won't be active anymore in a few years and we'll get rid of all those people stuck in the 80s on metal boards.
And it will be a good riddance. There's nothing worse than fanboys and people living in the past, failing to see that the 80s are long gone.

You and Mountain King both belong to the 'stuck in the past' category. I checked your lists of bands. Sad to see how some people have missed the last two decades.

i just saw this. I totally forgot about this whole discussion. But if u checked my favorite bands then u would know i'm "not stuck in the 80's"! Most of the music i listen to recently is Power, heavy and some progressive metal from 2000 and above. Masterplan, Pagan's Mind, Firewind, Heavenly, Halford, Stratovarius, Adagio, Symphony X, Primal Fear, Freedom Call, Lost Horizon, Silent Force, Vanden Plas, 7 Sinners by Helloween and so forth. even some melodeath like dark tranquility and scar symmetry! Of course i still listen to the 70's n 80's n 90's metal songs alot. Don't argue about the 80's. The top 100 metal albums on metal storm are mainly from the 80's and some are from the 70's . Don't make a fool out of yourself by mocking the 80's, if u like growling and non melodic shit then go post somewhere else. As far as i remember u said that u start hating bands after a while because they become soft or whatever like Helloween right? then that means u like their 80's stuff which means ur a fan of the 80's. Anyway no one teaches me about my music. I'm out...
21.01.2011 - 01:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Mountain King on 20.01.2011 at 17:29

i just saw this. I totally forgot about this whole discussion.

and thanks for rezzing a stupid, 120 day dead argument.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.01.2011 - 02:50
Vikcen
Metálico
@BitterCOld: ummm i didn't know you liked something of Blind Guardian, i'm glad to see that your favorite album is Nightfall In Middle-Earth . No offence, only is curiosity, after all, as Staff, you are a visible head hehe.
21.01.2011 - 12:30
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by BitterCOld on 21.01.2011 at 01:08

Written by Mountain King on 20.01.2011 at 17:29

i just saw this. I totally forgot about this whole discussion.

and thanks for rezzing a stupid, 120 day dead argument.

im not going to reply to any comments anymore. i just wanted to make a point...
28.01.2011 - 04:58
Vikcen
Metálico
By the way, a curiosity that i have surprised myself, in these moments "At The Edge Of Time" is the first on the top 20 albums of 2010, i didn't believe that "Marrow Of The Spirit" could drop so low in its rating...
12.02.2011 - 00:17
Rating: 8
powa_gabriel
Still can not find the magic :/
28.03.2011 - 15:07
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
So you've rated the album basically without listening it? Yeah.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
03.04.2011 - 06:55
mikeprado30
Written by John Shock on 27.03.2011 at 21:20

Written by Vonpire on 29.10.2010 at 16:12

Extremely overrated album. I really don't get it...

Really men, well i'm a really big fan of Power Metal, but when i've heard a couple of songs of this album, then i thought, what the fuck, i'm gonna delete this...this is so much progressive metal than the tradicional Power Metal that i've usually hear, like Helloween or Gamma Ray and then come some guys from anywhere thinking that they can put better songs than the original Power Metal with some acoustic songs, that makes me puke, honestly! Men, i like the cover from the album, that's all! I mean, this album may be good for the fans of the band or the Power/Progressive genre but for my was enougth hear 2 musics, and i don't know where i've buy many pacience to hear 2 or 3 songs from this album! Dismissed!

You cannot judge an album just listening 2 or 3 songs, I know why I tell you that
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
22.04.2011 - 22:52
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Is this considered power metal? If so, no wonder I have about TWO power metal albums in my ENTIRE collection. I gave this release a few spins but I just don't get it - what am I missing? I guess power metal doesn't melt my butter...
----
rekt
28.05.2011 - 14:59
Anriii
Written by mikeprado30 on 03.04.2011 at 06:55

You cannot judge an album just listening 2 or 3 songs, I know why I tell you that

Yea, especially when each song is so different in this. And the fast power-metalish songs come later in the album, with peak being Voice In The Dark
11.11.2012 - 19:09
serega25
Good album, but killer songs is only two: Sacred Worlds and A Voice In The Dark...
11.11.2012 - 19:14
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by serega25 on 11.11.2012 at 19:09

Good album, but killer songs is only two: Sacred Worlds and A Voice In The Dark...

Y U NO THINK Tanelorn (Into The Void) IS KILLER???
14.11.2012 - 23:51
Vikcen
Metálico
And Ride Into Obsession? Curse My Name? Wheel Of Time?
30.01.2013 - 13:04
Chriwalker
Account deleted
Really one of the absolute best albums of 2010! Killer album from start to end. I don't think I can name one bad song on this album!
10.02.2013 - 07:32
?apleee
Mouthcrab
Great album, I think my highlights would be Sacred Worlds, A Voice In The Dark, and War Of The Thrones.
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
24.03.2013 - 15:57
sciacallo010
I really don't understand all those comments like "baaah it's more progressive than power", I don't care if it's Power Metal, Progressive Metal or Melodic Progressive Power Germanic Bardic Metal...
I don't like an album for its label or for something else but for its songs, and those songs are just amazing!
And I'm not afraid to say that this album is nothing less than a true masterpiece made by true geniuses!

I mean, writing a song like Sacred Worlds would be a dream for thousands of bands!

Hits total: 57350 | This month: 117