05. Mystical End
06. Desert Rain
07. Pure Evil
08. Reaching The End
09. Travel In Stygian
10. Stormrider [live] [2008 reissue bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1991: 12

Additional info
In Europe, this album was released in November 1991, and in the USA in April 1992. Its U.S. release date was delayed so as to not compete with the band's self-titled debut album.

Produced by Tom Morris and Jon Schaffer.
Recorded and mixed at Morrisound Recording Studios, Tampa, Florida.
Mastered at Fullersound, Miami, Florida.

A re-mastered version was re-released in 2001 with an alternate album cover.
The first pressing has a different cover. Today, it has a different comic artwork cover compared to the original cover work.

Remixed and remastered version from the Dark Genesis boxset was released separately on August 26th, 2002.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Back in the early 90's, in 1992 to be precise. The American band Iced Earth released their first concept album entitled Night Of The Stormrider. Reactions were very positive because their sound was different from any other band in the metal scene. For numerous fans, the discovery of Iced Earth started with that dark epic album, mystic lyrics and gloomy cover art. Night Of The Stormrider followed 1990's self-titled debut album and was received with immediate success in Europe and at a degree lower in the States. Japan was charmed too, which in 1992, was less common than nowadays, and by the way, that record is still the most sold of all Iced Earth's albums in Japan. So, what do we have with the CD you ask? Well, let's see!

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
DIE_by_my_HAND
Rating:
Thrash, heavy, power. Call it what you will, Night of the Stormrider takes you on a ride from start to finish with some of the fastest charging riffs in all of metal contrasted with its dark lyrics and mood. This second offering from Iced Earth is their first stab at making a concept album and it delivers the goods. The story, in the words of John Schaffer is about "a young man who is betrayed by Christianity... and is chosen to bring about Armageddon." He goes on to say you can figure it out for yourself if you read the lyrics, which are very dark and evil and perfectly express the story's sinister vibe. This feel is also perfectly executed by the instruments, especially guitar, of which the distortion almost personifies the Stormrider and his struggle. The drumming on the album is very well written, however, not as well played. The double bass is the area which could have used the most work because it is supposed to go along with the quick riffs, but only manages to follow them closely.

Read more ››
published 08.07.2006 | Comments (14)

Guest review by
Zap
Rating:
N/A
So, the other day I went to this Mexican fast-food restaurant to eat some tacos.

Read more ››
published 25.07.2014 | Comments (21)

Found in 39 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 34   Visited by: 1008 users
20.04.2010 - 18:29
Rating: 10
JÄY
Metal slave
Gotta say, Greeley does a great job. barlow is great too but fuck is he "dramatic-ah"
23.04.2011 - 08:09
BloodFireDeath
BEST ALBUM EVER
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
30.04.2011 - 09:36
Jay-WalKeR
I Love The Angel Of Holocaust, best power metal album
28.01.2012 - 02:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I hope this is vocalist who was kick out because he sings bad...if we compare 1th n this 1th was better album, this was not bad, good, agresive, powerfull, good vocals, but this is Iced Earth Paul D Annio....if they would continue IE be in underground , even album is legacy and great still ...
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.05.2012 - 00:38
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
This is a great album! Honestly I think John Greely is a way better vocalist than Matt Barlow! Too bad he only did this one album with them.
03.06.2012 - 09:41
Rating: 8
sbgmetal
The one and only album i like from iced earth really wish they would have made more like this one
17.01.2013 - 07:15
JÄY
Metal slave
An 8.6 for Jon's masterpiece?
25.07.2014 - 21:59
Greatest album of their career. Too bad Greely was a racist douche
20.02.2015 - 15:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by deadone on 22.08.2014 at 07:53

Without a doubt one of the greatest heavy metal albums ever recorded.

we can argue, but its good one, Its different as others IE
----

apos;'
[image]
07.03.2015 - 15:18
Mountain King
K i K o
I prefer the first one. More gloomy and intense...
07.03.2015 - 18:22
Sang Dalang Abu
Compared to this one. Without a doubt Burnt Offerings one of the greatest heavy metal albums ever recorded.
18.07.2016 - 14:52
Joppe
Steelemeister
Nothing bad to say about this except maybe that the guitar sound is lacking a bit balls. Other than that it's amazing thrash, amazing power. "Pure Evil" and "Travel in Stygian" are perfect examples of strong songs by this band. IMO Greely fits better on these faster thrashy songs and Barlow is better on slower songs and ballads.
----
My vision is augmented
29.10.2016 - 23:37
Redel
This is a classic in US power metal.
I grew up with this album.
Together with Burnt Offerings, it is my favourite IE album (while I slightly prefer BO), and they are both among my Top 20 all-time favourite Metal albums.
For me, there are no boring tracks here. Very consistent album.
While the highlights are certainly Angels holocaust, desert rain, pure evil, and travel in Stygian, I also like the rest.
I also like the album cover -- actually, both versions of it.
Production is maybe the only downside here.
That aside, perfect album.
30.10.2016 - 17:26
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
"A world of hate and malice... yes, that's the way it seems..."

This remains one of Iced Earth's best albums. Some of the later Barlow albums are as good, but none are better (and they're all better than Burnt Offerings). Greely does a very good job here and the bridge in "Desert Rain" is probably my favourite IE section.

"We shall rise and conquer, crushing all that's weak..."
24.02.2017 - 10:24
Rating: 7
Athropos
Burning inside
As far as I would really like to appreciate this band, I always feel like I'm listening to same riff over and over and over again...
10.01.2018 - 01:04
Rating: 9
musicalkaratekid
Very consistent in its delivery and has some of my favourite Iced Earth songs overall ("Angels Holocaust" and "Desert Rain". Builds on the already excellent songwriting of the band's debut and for me a lot of the songs here have a primarily ambitious feel about them, which makes the sound more epic and bombastic.
07.02.2020 - 06:53
Rating: 9
DeathMetal
Great album, disappointed in myself for taking this long to listen to it.
07.02.2020 - 12:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by DeathMetal on 07.02.2020 at 06:53

Great album, disappointed in myself for taking this long to listen to it.

Hmmm good metal cant be long
----

apos;'
[image]
29.08.2020 - 09:45
Kvothe
This band and Nevermore never got the credit they deserved.

I can't believe how this masterpiece is so underrated on the metal scene.

I also find it incredible that I don't find in any other band to take influence from those fast riffs that made a name for themselves.
----
Here, waiting very quiet right in front Valaritas, the door that hides the tomb.
21.12.2020 - 22:53
Redel
Written by Kvothe on 29.08.2020 at 09:45

Oh, I wouldnt say that Iced Earth didnt get the credit they deserved.
They got a lot of credit, especialy for some of their later albums,
And even the album at hand is not underrated I would say. 8.6 as of now is an excellent rating.
Well, I have it somewhere at 9.6, an incredible masterpiece for me. But that is just me in the first place.
Today it is my favourite IE album (I used to prefer Burnt Offerings slightly, but that switched lately).
This album still gets frequent spins by me -- as right now
It aged really well I would say.
22.12.2020 - 00:06
nikarg
Staff
^ I am going to count this as another masterpiece reminder, and indeed it is. Also my favourite IE album.
22.12.2020 - 00:36
Redel
Written by nikarg on 22.12.2020 at 00:06

^ I am going to count this as another masterpiece reminder, and indeed it is. Also my favourite IE album.

In a slightly different manner I guess, since I am aware that not everybody considers this a masterpiece -- understandably so.
23.12.2020 - 17:55
Kvothe
Written by Redel on 21.12.2020 at 22:53

Written by Kvothe on 29.08.2020 at 09:45

Oh, I wouldnt say that Iced Earth didnt get the credit they deserved.
They got a lot of credit, especialy for some of their later albums,
And even the album at hand is not underrated I would say. 8.6 as of now is an excellent rating.
Well, I have it somewhere at 9.6, an incredible masterpiece for me. But that is just me in the first place.
Today it is my favourite IE album (I used to prefer Burnt Offerings slightly, but that switched lately).
This album still gets frequent spins by me -- as right now
It aged really well I would say.

I think the only way this album could have been better was with Barlow on vocals, but on top of that, I think no other IE album has been able to match what this album has done (mostly for the riffs)

Okay. It is true that at the end of the day everything has only what it deserves.
----
Here, waiting very quiet right in front Valaritas, the door that hides the tomb.
07.01.2021 - 20:45
Maco
Pvt Funderground
This is probably their best.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
07.01.2021 - 22:17
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Irritable Ted on 07.01.2021 at 21:04

Soon to be heard from a prison near you.

Iced Earth now has become a nazi band. 🤪🤪🤪
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
08.01.2021 - 00:44
nikarg
Staff
Written by Irritable Ted on 07.01.2021 at 23:21

Anyway

Thank you. Anyone wanting to continue this last conversation, they can do it here. This thread is for Night Of The Stormrider.
16.12.2021 - 19:23
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
My favourite Iced Earth album, which to me is really saying something. Those riffs were incredible! The guitar work is stunning, and I was equally impressed with the vocals, I preferred Greely's harshness over Barlow's more mellow vocals. "Travel In Stygian" is one of my favourite Iced Earth songs.
28.01.2022 - 22:46
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 16.12.2021 at 19:23

My favourite Iced Earth album, which to me is really saying something. Those riffs were incredible! The guitar work is stunning, and I was equally impressed with the vocals, I preferred Greely's harshness over Barlow's more mellow vocals. "Travel In Stygian" is one of my favourite Iced Earth songs.

Barley is the better singer, I can admit that but, yes, Greely was better for this kind of music. This is a one of a kind album in the discography, there was nothing like it in the Iced Earth Discography, and it's good to see that people are recognizing it as such. People should look into these early IE albums, they are amazing albeit not so big on the commercial success factor. Schaffer was a riff god on this album
----
My vision is augmented
28.01.2022 - 23:14
Redel
Written by Joppe on 28.01.2022 at 22:46

This is a one of a kind album in the discography, there was nothing like it in the Iced Earth Discography.

Well, the debut comes close in style. But NOTS is a tad better. It is their best album for me.
28.01.2022 - 23:23
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by Redel on 28.01.2022 at 23:14

Written by Joppe on 28.01.2022 at 22:46

This is a one of a kind album in the discography, there was nothing like it in the Iced Earth Discography.

Well, the debut comes close in style. But NOTS is a tad better. It is their best album for me.

True, true maybe the debut is more USPm and NOTS sounds more thrash? I dunno, but the band lost something after these early releases. Also Enter The Realm is DEMO is great.
----
My vision is augmented

Hits total: 22388 | This month: 104