Metal Storm logo
Israel navy attacks aid-ship convoy (20 killed, several wounded)

Original post

Posted by Zombie, 31.05.2010 - 23:47

Israeli attack on Gaza flotilla sparks international outrage
Israeli navy stormed the Mavi Marmara, the flagship of a flotilla of vessels crewed by pro-Palestinian activists

Robert Booth | guardian.co.uk, Monday 31 May 2010 19.42 BST

They came by sea and air shattering the peace of a Mediterranean night. Shortly after 4.30am in international waters, the elite Flotilla 13 unit of the Israeli navy stormed the Mavi Marmara, the flagship of a flotilla crewed by an alliance of pro-Palestinian activists who combined to deliver 10,000 tonnes of aid to Gaza.

In a blitz of military strength, masked commandos rapelled on to the Turkish ship's deck from a helicopter and boarded from the side by fast attack launch. They were armed with guns, stun grenades and tear gas. Assault craft drenched their target in dazzling light and used booming tannoys to warn the ship's passengers to halt their mission or face Israel taking "all the necessary measures in order to enforce this blockade".

The activists from as many as 50 different countries stood little chance in the face of such a show of strength.But if Israel had been hoping to benefit from the cover of darkness by attacking at night, they did not reckon on the presence of a network of on board video cameras recording their opening moves.

Turkish television footage showed how one by one as the commandos descended by ropes to the deck they were ambushed by waiting passengers armed with what appeared to be metal bars, sticks and in one case, a table. The reception for two commandos descending from a helicopter was brutal - the first was battered to the ground and heavily beaten and the second, landing seconds later, was assaulted by a man with a bar and forced to retreat into a doorway before fighting back out.

Whether these were the first blows struck in an incident that ended with the deaths of at least 9 people and the injury of at least 50, is disputed. Those on board, including a reporter for Al Jazeera said the Israelis fired on the boat before boarding. Israel said it opened fire after its commandos were attacked by activists wielding knives, clubs and pistols wrested from its soldiers. It was impossible yesterday to verify either account.

What is certainly true is that shortly after the assault, all communications with the flotilla were blocked. Mobile phones, satellite phones and internet access all went down, making it all but impossible to glean any account from the passengers about what happened beyond the few minutes that were captured on film. Israel's version of events became the only one available in any detail.

The Guardian has attempted to piece together the story from electronic communications from the flotilla, video footage taken on board, interviews with the flotilla organisers, reports from journalists on board the Mavi Marmara, reports from journalists embedded with the Israeli military and statements from the Israelis.

During Sunday on the journey from Cyprus towards Gaza, the trip had been progressing well with spirits high among the pro-Palestinian activists, according to messages received from the flotilla at the Cyprus base of Free Gaza, one of the campaign groups behind the mission.

"They were excited because they knew they were on their way," said Greta Berlin, a Free Gaza activist in Cyprus who was in frequent contact. "We would get little messages saying 'we are on a Mediterranean cruise, it is really quite lovely'. There was no feeling until around midnight that anyone was in any danger."

Little did they know that three hours earlier than that, at around 9pm, three Israeli naval craft had left the northern Israeli port of Haifa to intercept them. The plan was for Israel's elite Flotilla 13 unit to disembark on the top deck of the Mavi Marmara, and from there rush to the vessel's bridge and order the Marmara's captain to stop, said Israeli journalist, Ron Ben Yishai, who was embedded with the Israeli military.

By around 11pm Israel's taskforce was alongside the flotilla of six vessels and one of the navy ships broadcast a warning to the flotilla not to approach Gaza.

"If you ignore this order and enter the blockaded area, the Israeli navy will be forced to take all the necessary measures in order to enforce this blockade," the message said, according to a recording later broadcast on Israeli radio.

Then around midnight the flotilla co-ordinators appeared to become worried and Lubna Masarwa, a Palestinian Israeli on board the Marmara issued a series of urgent messages via Twitter.

"We didn't expect them now," she said. "We thought they will arrive at the morning, please stay in touch with the other boats ? People here put there life jackets [sic], everybody preparing here. We are in international waters ? Three boats are coming, not two, Three Israeli boats, we are 78 mile from Israel ? Two Israeli ships coming toward us ? they contact the ship asked who we are and disappeared, getting close to the ship we can see them."

The Free Gaza campaign was worried enough to issue "a call to the world from the people on the boats". "This flotilla is bringing supplies the people of Gaza and are being met by military force," it said.

Over the next few hours as the Israeli ships circled, the flotilla issued a series of brief messages through their spot locator, a telecommunications device which charted their progress on a web site.

"This is a HELP message," it said at 12.30am. "We have been contacted by the Israelis but are still fine, don't worry."

Shortly afterwards another states: "Challenger 2 [one of the boats] contacted by Israeli Defence Force radio A/O approached by IDF ships", and another: "Going ahead". Three more "OK" signals between 1.30am and 2.30am were then replaced at 4.30am by a red exclamation mark stating: "Last position before IDF attack. 04:30 GMT, Latitude:32.64113, Longitude:33.56727" - around 70 miles from the coast of northern Israel and 90 miles from Gaza.

The assault had been underway for at least 30 minutes, according to Dr Arafat Madi, one of the European organisers of the convoy who spoke to the activists by satellite phone shortly afterwards.

"The Israelis took the phones from us as we were talking," he said. "We heard from them that the Israeli army attacked all the ships at once with hundreds of soldiers."

He said the Greek captain of one of the smaller vessels, the 8000, had been shot and two others were injured. But he had no information about injuries on the other vessels and said they were struggling to get any information from the Israelis to give to worried families of the activists.

Video footage of the assault on the Marmara showed at least half a dozen armed and masked commandos gathering themselves on the bow deck of the ship, apparently having been helicoptered on.

During the assault, which began in earnest 40 miles from the coast, several journalists continued to broadcast from the aft deck, sharing a microphone in a relay as they broadcast to the world.

Reporting for Press TV, an Iranian state run channel, one said: "We are being hit by tear gas, stun grenades. We have navy ships on every side and helicopters ahead. We are being attacked on every side."

A group of activists on the ship were shown on video mustering at the top of a flight of stairs armed with makeshift weapons. The ship's captain could be heard speaking over the tannoy urging them to give up: "Please, all the brothers, go back to your cabin and sit on your seats. Stop your resistance, they are using live ammunition. We can't protect ourselves."

Over the noise of gunfire, Jamal Elshayyal, reporting for Al Jazeera, told how two passengers had been killed and that a white flag of surrender was raised on board "after Israeli commandos descended upon the ship from a helicopter as well as surrounding it on all sides [in boats]."

He continued: "Despite the white flag being raised, the Israeli army is still shooting, still firing live munitions."

Shortly afterwards the broadcasts stopped and all internet and satellite phone connections were lost.

The Israeli military had been surprised by the resistance they met, according to an account by Ben Yishai. He said the commandos were carrying paintball rifles. He said they were equipped with handguns but were only authorised to use them in life-threatening situations.

"The navy commandos were prepared to mostly encounter political activists seeking to hold a protest, rather than trained street fighters," he wrote on the Ynet News website. "The rioters on the top deck, whose number swelled up to 30 by that time, kept on beating up about 30 commandos who kept gliding their way one by one from the helicopter."

He claimed activists stole the handgun from one commando and threw him 30 feet over a rail causing serious head injuries. Only after this were commandos authorised to use live ammunition and then shot at activists' legs, he said. He added that passengers pounded soldiers' hands as they tried to climb on board.

Footage from inside the ship broadcast on Turkish television showed the impact of the battle. A woman carried a bloodstained stretcher, men were shown bleeding from wounds, people moved about tending the injured. People were stretched out on the floor and it was not clear if they were alive or dead.

PS: two Australians "unheard from" since the attack. 27 Britons on board the ships still "not sure" of their status. Turkish, Greek, Pakistani, Swedish, Spanish, Danish, French, Egyptian, and Irish, among others were attacked on board these ships.
26.09.2010 - 20:36
Sunioj
Written by Zombie on 11.06.2010 at 05:40

I believe we should not dedicate this whole page to the jewish-conspiracy thing and lets get back to topic =) ... we've established the fact that wikipedia is NOT a reliable source as anyone can edit it, doesnt matter if that someone is jewish or not.. okay ?

so, about the flotilla ... does anyone know what happened to the irish "rachel corrie" ship passengers ? ... last thing i heard was most of them are still being held in israel and prevented from leaving unless they sign a paper saying they drop any charges towards israeli government and would not sue israel.

btw, for those of you who do not know who "rachel corrie" is; whom the irish ship was called after... she was an american peace activist who refused the demolition of palestinian houses by isrelis, so she stood in the way of an israeli bulldozer that was going to ram down a house, and yet the dozer did not stop.. and crushed her to death. now this is a person who TRUELY died for peace ... R.I.P. rachel

I rememeber this story. But honestly, her death could've easily been avoided, if the IDF is saying that they're going to do something and you get in the way of it - you are going to hurt. Everyone knows that. Everyone knows that the IDF can be very aggressive. Growing up in the West Bank I've seen people come from Europe and America trying "to be peacemakers" and get involved in protests where molotov cocktails are being thrown at soldiers, lo and behold they're shocked when soldiers fire back with live rounds. These people are really stupid IMO. A real peacekeeper doesn't get involved in the fighting...

That's why it surprises me when I see videos of protests in Greece etc. where someone just runs up to a police officer and throws a molotov cocktail right on his shield and explodes. In Israel, you get shot if you throw molotov cocktails... I think its justified too, because many soldiers have been killed by molotov cocktails.

I used to be confused about where I stand between both sides. But now I just don't care anymore. Live and let die to either side. Just leave my family and my friends the fuck out of it.

Written by Zombie on 02.08.2010 at 19:45

And what does the aid ships have to do with terrorist attacks on a city ?
they delivery food and clothes not weapons

In the past Gaza has been supplied with arms by boats for years now. It is the obligation of the Egyptian and Israeli government to check these boats for any such threat. It's unrealistic to just "let in" a boat unchecked to just roll in. You can't trust anyone.
27.09.2010 - 00:37
advent
Really sick, anyone is resisting is now a terrorist , as u can't really differ between a maniac called ben ladn and people fought more than 60 years to reclaim thier country, or maybe they are muslims= terrorists , or maybe most of u were raised when there no country named Palestinian , so u think we didin't hear about then it is not exist , there were lot of countries that were occupied for centuries then claimed there land back, but no land seen much vile occupiers than palestinian , but really hope to see that day before my dying.

and now u justify the blockade , a real shame , as there is no human inside , it is also a shame when u see media playing with people minds and fear and convice them that all the evil of the world is laying in the Palestinian territories , like they are fighting rifles for stone , opps i forgot taht they are just bunch of pussies .

well lets see if one if ur countries occupied and claimed to be a sacred land for some Jewish maniacs , then all ur talk will change
27.09.2010 - 00:45
Sunioj
Written by advent on 27.09.2010 at 00:37

Really sick, anyone is resisting is now a terrorist , as u can't really differ between a maniac called ben ladn and people fought more than 60 years to reclaim thier country, or maybe they are muslims= terrorists , or maybe most of u were raised when there no country named Palestinian , so u think we didin't hear about then it is not exist , there were lot of countries that were occupied for centuries then claimed there land back, but no land seen much vile occupiers than palestinian , but really hope to see that day before my dying.

and now u justify the blockade , a real shame , as there is no human inside , it is also a shame when u see media playing with people minds and fear and convice them that all the evil of the world is laying in the Palestinian territories , like they are fighting rifles for stone , opps i forgot taht they are just bunch of pussies .

well lets see if one if ur countries occupied and claimed to be a sacred land for some Jewish maniacs , then all ur talk will change

Are you directing your post towards me?
27.09.2010 - 00:51
advent
Written by Sunioj on 27.09.2010 at 00:45

Written by advent on 27.09.2010 at 00:37

Are you directing your post towards me?

To anyone who stucked to stupid details and forgot the whole meaning of the confilect, and yes this including u

u only see reactions, but never see the actions .
27.09.2010 - 00:58
Sunioj
Written by advent on 27.09.2010 at 00:51

To anyone who stucked to stupid details and forgot the whole meaning of the confilect, and yes this including u

Listen buddy...

I grew up in the West Bank. I saw bombs go off in front of me, I've seen people get beaten/shot and I've seen tanks going up and down the streets I grew up on. Then I have insight into the Israeli side of the situation by the friends I have, and also living on the Israeli side for a few years. I base my views on that, I see flaws on ALL sides.

You think those are stupid details then I don't know what to tell you, I'd try not to feel a bit insulted. Its very difficult growing up and watching your friends join Fatah, not knowing if they're going to do something stupid because some rich piece of shit is sitting in his Mercedes SLK500 giving orders.
27.09.2010 - 01:30
advent
Written by Sunioj on 27.09.2010 at 00:58

Listen buddy...

I grew up in the West Bank. I saw bombs go off in front of me, I've seen people get beaten/shot and I've seen tanks going up and down the streets I grew up on. Then I have insight into the Israeli side of the situation by the friends I have, and also living on the Israeli side for a few years. I base my views on that, I see flaws on ALL sides.

You think those are stupid details then I don't know what to tell you, I'd try not to feel a bit insulted. Its very difficult growing up and watching your friends join Fatah, not knowing if they're going to do something stupid because some rich piece of shit is sitting in his Mercedes SLK500 giving orders.

I didn't mean to insult u at all , and sorry if i did , and i respect ur and others opinions i did read in this post even if they make me frustrated , and really appreciate ur feelings towards ur friends and about u said i agree to some extent , but really in every occupied country in the past or today u can see a lot of people get used and abused because the oppression they saw from occupiers , but it won't make the cause less righteous , but every reaction they do is zoomed out in media unlike Israeli actions that u hear are justfied in same time actions occurred by any means , and this just damage of course the reputation of the cause to people that don;t know the whole truth about past not only what they saw, cuz not all u see is like what is seems
27.09.2010 - 01:52
Sunioj
Written by advent on 27.09.2010 at 01:30

Written by Sunioj on 27.09.2010 at 00:58

Listen buddy...

I didn't mean to insult u at all , and sorry if i did , and i respect ur and others opinions i did read in this post even if they make me frustrated , and really appreciate ur feelings towards ur friends and about u said i agree to some extent , but really in every occupied country in the past or today u can see a lot of people get used and abused because the oppression they saw from occupiers , but it won't make the cause less righteous , but every reaction they do is zoomed out in media unlike Israeli actions that u hear are justfied in same time actions occurred by any means , and this just damage of course the reputation of the cause to people that don;t know the whole truth about past not only what they saw, cuz not all u see is like what is seems

Well.. haha, I appreciate your humble post. It's just such a sensitive issue for me, it makes my blood boil - I was a bit thrown off.

I agree with you about how the oppressed action's doesn't necessarily negate their disposition. No matter how it was done. The ends don't justify the means. I can't say for fact that I agree with the way Israel completely with how the flotilla was dealt with, all I know is that if someone was charging me with a knife I might be inclined to blow their head off with a 9mm. lol