[Limited Edition Bonus 7" Vinyl]
01. Jotunblod (Doom)
02. Migration

The Best Black Metal Album Of 2010
Top 20 albums of 2010: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 128
Featured in "Getting Into: Enslaved"

Additional info
Produced by Ivar Bjørnson Peersen, Grutle Kjellson and Herbrand Larsen.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Let me tell you how I know that an album is hard to digest but great. When I put it on for the first time, most of the songs blur together, it's impossible to tell them apart. The first impression about the album is accentuated by those cool fragments of songs that remain in my memory. During the second listen I manage to hear most of those fragments. Just when I'm about to play the album for the third time to get those last cool bits, I realise that there are some more cool bits that I picked up during my second listen. With every consecutive listen, the number of cool bits increases, and my mind connects them to respective songs. After 10 listens all bits are in place, the picture is complete and my smile is wider than a six-lane freeway, because the album is brilliant.

Read more ››
published 30.09.2010 | Comments (70)

Guest review by
ponderer
Rating:
Here we are again. I say that because Enslaved are beating the proverbial "Nordic Black Metal" horse to death. It seems like this is becoming a standard out of the Northern European Black Metal scene these days. Scary makeup, growling vocals, droning guitars, and a complete lack of direction other than to throw in some "evil" lyrics. Like anyone will ever go as far as Mercyful Fate did in the 80's lyrically? Doubtful, and I haven't seen anyone do it yet.

Read more ››
published 12.12.2010 | Comments (128)

Guest review by
Metren
Rating:
It is almost certainly true that in each professional musician's life - if they are passionate and serious about their art - comes a point, when they become almost too good at what they do and the result is an album that doesn't take very many risks or doesn't include any truly mind-blowing melodies, riffs, solos, etc. For Enslaved, that point of becoming too good to take risks came with 2010's Axioma Ethica Odini.

Few albums will impress as highly on the first listen as this one, but that's not necessarily a good thing when it comes to (extreme) metal. An initial reaction of "I don't quite get it yet, but it's interesting" holds much more promise of an album becoming a true classic than does "OMG! This is awesome!"

Read more ››
published 20.08.2016 | Comments (24)

Over the last couple records, Enslaved seemed to be moving towards metal middle age... from Black Metal to Black Floyd. AEO sees them continuing the prog path, but at the same time drawing from the best elements of their past work. The tone of this is harsher. At times they show the familiar gallop of their old BM works, at others the weirdness of Monumension and the confidence of Below The Lights. i love this album so much i want to fuck it.

BitterCOld's picks | More picks ››

Found in 114 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 7

Comments: 188   Visited by: 2635 users
14.10.2010 - 10:03
Rating: 9
Aetherius

AWESOME album.!!!
21.10.2010 - 11:56
BellTower
Account deleted
I like the album, but I found the clean vocals distracting at first; took a while to get used to them.
21.10.2010 - 17:44
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Although I HAVE NOT heard this yet right now. I just realized that the only album I can think of left that can AT LEAST have a chance to probably top this and/ or even just rival this for this years "top 20 albums of the year", is the upcoming Agalloch album, "Marrow Of The Spirit".
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

09.11.2010 - 17:50
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
Album of the decade......
15.12.2010 - 02:34
JD
Account deleted
Average album some good songs and some bad ones.
16.12.2010 - 17:18
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by ponderer on 12.10.2010 at 20:41

Saving comments for a proper review as requested by Enslaved fanboys.

How'd that work out for you?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.12.2010 - 19:21
ponderer

Written by Doc G. on 16.12.2010 at 17:18

Written by ponderer on 12.10.2010 at 20:41

Saving comments for a proper review as requested by Enslaved fanboys.

How'd that work out for you?

Couldn't have gone better. The album finally got an honest review and the trolls are up in arms. You can't script that kind of lolz.
16.12.2010 - 19:23
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by ponderer on 16.12.2010 at 19:21
Couldn't have gone better. The album finally got an honest review and the trolls are up in arms. You can't script that kind of lolz.

People who disagree with you or point out that it seems you haven't actually listened to the album are trolls?

wat
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
16.12.2010 - 22:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by ponderer on 16.12.2010 at 19:21

You do realize YOU are the troll right? If you fail to see that I'm afraid you might be suffering from some delusions. The word "honest" in your comment here is pretty much the exact opposite of what your review was, as there are actual lies in your review, things that don't even come down to opinion but facts which you seemed to not only skew but fabricate entirely. Here, lets count:
- They don't actually wear make-up.
- Nowhere in the lyrics does it mention anything about being evil. Seems to me it's some sort of pagan type thing.
- Immortal and Gorgoroth sound barely sound like eachother, both of them sound even further from Enslaved. I could start off with guitar tones, drumming styles, song structures, progression from album to album, and production values.
- You complain about the monotony of the drums on the album - are you sure you actually listened to the album? As I heard multiple time & pattern changes right from the first track.
- Blistering solos: a great one starts at 6:48 in Ethica Odini, one at around 2:45 in Raidho, it goes on, basically there can be at least one melodic lead or solo found in every song.
- Screaming and growling all the time? You do realize almost half the album is clean singing, right? Continuing on this note, the fact that you require an album to contain clean vocals in order to be decent is a tell tale sign you are really out of your element.

Actual facts. Thats why people went up in arms - because you took a big shit all over an album you obviously didn't listen to or have any background knowledge on. Also - big lulz at the end when you measure them up against a bunch of bands that don't sound anything like Enslaved

I don't even like the album all that much. I got minor amusement from it, but it's nothing spectacular for me. A bombing of an Enslaved album doesn't really bother me, but the fact you did it while clearly being as ignorant as one can get is a bit remarkable.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.12.2010 - 09:36
patrickmetal12

I saw them in New Delhi last friday
they were 10 feet from me
it was sick!!
21.12.2010 - 06:34
Rating: 10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by patrickmetal12 on 20.12.2010 at 09:36

it was sick!!

close enough to see Grutle's Motorhead tat?

glad you were able to catch them. when they played here a couple weeks ago, i was talking to their merch manager and she was saying how fired up the band was to play India.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.12.2010 - 14:10
patrickmetal12

Written by BitterCOld on 21.12.2010 at 06:34

Written by patrickmetal12 on 20.12.2010 at 09:36

it was sick!!

close enough to see Grutle's Motorhead tat?

glad you were able to catch them. when they played here a couple weeks ago, i was talking to their merch manager and she was saying how fired up the band was to play India.

interesting
the ppl here wernt so... excited to see them. maybe it was me. but no1 had their horns up or were shouting enough. I really wasnt expecting enslaved to come to this side of the world. it was so much fun tho.
oh, i think i saw her. she was setting up all the equipment for the band . could that been her? haha
30.12.2010 - 02:28
Kropy

Musicianship: 9
Vocal: 8
Atmosphere: 8
Melody: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 10
CD Covers: 8

Best Songs:
01. Ethica Odini
06. Giants
08. Night Sight

Interesting Comments:
Doc Godin
30.12.2010 - 13:48
Rating: 4
Inshushinak

I dont know but to me sounds like shitttttt
03.02.2011 - 22:13
Antegujanu

Nominee for Black Metal?
04.02.2011 - 15:52
Night Sight

Music and vocal...everything just great!
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
11.02.2011 - 00:41
Rating: 7
Yugosaki

Excellent
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
14.02.2011 - 16:58
Souliens

Excellent
26.02.2011 - 00:51
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Decent album...but nowhere near the top of 2010, where avant-garde RULED this year.
26.02.2011 - 23:58
Saeed_p

02.03.2011 - 06:55
Rating: 10
Trojanman190

Holy shit this is good.

Not the blackest stuff ever, but it's fantastic.
01.04.2011 - 18:15
evoola

Overrated averageness in the mediocre to boring realm. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
01.04.2011 - 18:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by evoola on 01.04.2011 at 18:15

Overrated averageness in the mediocre to boring realm. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, hi ponderer.
01.04.2011 - 18:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.04.2011 at 18:26

No, she's a girl from vatican who just happens to share ponderer's great taste & opinions.

Oh of course, silly me ;]
01.04.2011 - 18:43
evoola

I'm the female pope you fools. I gave it a 4.
02.04.2011 - 14:38
zero

If you don't like prog metal you won't like Enslaved. I'm into black and prog metal. So this album is almost perfect for me. Great athmosphere and agressive parts
02.04.2011 - 21:23
Baz Anderson

That's not to say that someone needs to be a "prog" fan to like this album though...
26.05.2011 - 19:27
Constantine

Ethica odini blows me every time, awesome song.
30.06.2011 - 07:43
fjord-dweller

Great album, it seems as tho the farther enslaved get from traditional black metal, the more thoughtful the music, not only the lyrics, but the music becomes. while there older stuff was pretty entrancing and thought provoking, they remain one of the few bm bands that gets mutch better with age.:bow:
22.08.2011 - 18:43
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Great album. I'm in my first spin, and I'm lovin' it.

Hits total: 55922 | This month: 80