Metal Storm logo
The Air Travel Thread

20.07.2010 - 18:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Okay, a thread to discuss plane travel, opinions about airlines and their policies, etc.

do you travel with a plane on a regular basis? do you use a specific airline or just go with the one that's most convenient/cheap?

have you ever got ripped off by an airline?

i'll answer first: i don't travel usually by plane(so far only 2 journeys and 2-3 more planned in the near future), mostly i go by train as it's far cheaper and i don't usually need to travel long distances, and i use the cheapest airline available, every time with no exception and fortunately the most i ever got fucked over was a plane that departed 1 hour later Bucharest - Berlin about a year or so ago with Blue Air.

commence discussion
20.07.2010 - 21:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well I usuly trevcel, offen Rîga-Srockholm?Arlanda-Lulea and Lulea-Arlands-Rîga and I use airbaltic and SAS , no other, ok sometimes Norvegian, but I prefere SAS so no laguage vating, give in Rîga, thay take care same there and I dont care about prices
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.07.2010 - 21:50
ß
Problem?
I've only been on an airplane once before. I flew from Pearson International airport in Toronto to Hamburg airport via Air Transat. I ended up waiting around 4 hours to board the plane. Needless to say, it was a very uncomfortable flight. It was hot because the AC wasn't on and hardly any leg room at all. Next time I plan on flying ill definitely pay the extra for more leg room.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
20.07.2010 - 23:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by ß on 20.07.2010 at 21:50

I've only been on an airplane once before. I flew from Pearson International airport in Toronto to Hamburg airport via Air Transat. I ended up waiting around 4 hours to board the plane. Needless to say, it was a very uncomfortable flight. It was hot because the AC wasn't on and hardly any leg room at all. Next time I plan on flying ill definitely pay the extra for more leg room.

how long did the flight take?

to be honest the only advantage i see with planes(apart from being the safest means of transport) is that they're fast as hell compared to everything else, but that's pretty much it. they are supremely uncomfortable, most of the times they're far more expensive than any other means of transportation, there's a ton of things you cannot carry in the bags, and getting to/from airports is quite the hassle.
20.07.2010 - 23:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
You can chack in when ever you want, but you can go to plain when thay stray its 1h before it starts flyghts, as far I know its 20kg + 5kg hand bagada in cabin, I take all imoprtant thinks whit me in cabin
----

apos;'
[image]
20.07.2010 - 23:13
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Bad English on 20.07.2010 at 23:06

You can chack in when ever you want, but you can go to plain when thay stray its 1h before it starts flyghts, as far I know its 20kg + 5kg hand bagada in cabin, I take all imoprtant thinks whit me in cabin

that totally depends on the airline, for example i know Jetairfly (a Belgian-based company) has 20 kg + 5 hand bag for short flights, and Wizzair has 32 + 10 (though you gotta pay for the 32 kg bag). that's not my point though, my point would be that they for example don't accept large quantities of liquids in the cabin baggage on ANY airline, and that's a big inconvenience to me. i love the train, no-one ever checks your bag there, you could be carrying a fossilized fetus and no-one would care.
20.07.2010 - 23:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Fuck man 1000KM on train is like being fucked all ways in ass.... I have ride such distanjmce whit car on monday...do it on suterday but it take 10-14h whit car plain 2h
----

apos;'
[image]
21.07.2010 - 02:36
Ragana
Rawrcat
If Latvia was as big as USA I'd use planes more often, but since there's no place I could NOT reach in three hours time here, I can't say I travel often - just on holiday trips. Flights are usually chosen by date and obviously the place besides there's usually some cheap budget class ticket left, so no problems with that. On the other hand, there's no need to rush things so if I can wait home for two more days to get a LOT cheaper ticket - why not?

Haven't had problems with airline policies or anything. I got stuck in Istanbul for one hour due to bad weather (raining is that bad) but that's all (the talent of almost missing planes is my problem, not airlines').
21.07.2010 - 03:13
ß
Problem?
Quote:
Quote:

how long did the flight take?

to be honest the only advantage i see with planes(apart from being the safest means of transport) is that they're fast as hell compared to everything else, but that's pretty much it. they are supremely uncomfortable, most of the times they're far more expensive than any other means of transportation, there's a ton of things you cannot carry in the bags, and getting to/from airports is quite the hassle.

From what I vaguely remember, the flight there took about 6 or 7 hours and on the way back 7 or 8. The worst part is when people feel like reclining their seats back, pisses me off and therefore making the ride even less comfortable then it already was.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
21.07.2010 - 19:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 21.07.2010 at 02:36

If Latvia was as big as USA I'd use planes more often, but since there's no place I could NOT reach in three hours time here, I can't say I travel often - just on holiday trips. Flights are usually chosen by date and obviously the place besides there's usually some cheap budget class ticket left, so no problems with that. On the other hand, there's no need to rush things so if I can wait home for two more days to get a LOT cheaper ticket - why not?

Haven't had problems with airline policies or anything. I got stuck in Istanbul for one hour due to bad weather (raining is that bad) but that's all (the talent of almost missing planes is my problem, not airlines').

As far I know Rîga-Liepâja was plain, soviet days to Daugaupils, but its small plains, it take more time chacjk in, take of how reach by train, but 1000km whit car in 12-14 h or one whit plain is diefernt and those who fly offen have specal bonus cards lie I have SAS bonus, also usualy travel reporters, hockey teams, special workers etc and companies pay expences in buisness class
Rîga-Stockholm, only diference is you go security check in specal place, in plain... ok nI HATE more if stuartess is men :p I hate it
----

apos;'
[image]
25.07.2010 - 23:03
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I travel on business and always get great deals with the airlines...I can't say that I've ever had a problem with planes...I used to though when I dressed in TRIPP pants and satanic shit along with chains and stuff...you have to go in their dressed as neutral as possible and they won't search you or cause you any bullshit...
27.07.2010 - 01:24
Piro
I had a friend who spent the night in jail because he brought over some mushrooms and Kielbasa from Poland in a suitcase (The normal, legal kind of mushroom btw). I thought that was a bit over the top, but I've personally never had a problem when flying.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
02.03.2011 - 15:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I have to say my opinion with planes has changed in the meantime, indeed they're still uncomfortable and noisy as hell, but when the cost is similar or lower than trains or whatever other means of transport, then i'll use the plane, except when the travel time is longer.

i took some journeys while i was in Spain, and it seems Madrid's airport is a very VERY bad place to go through. every time flights are delayed because it's over-crowded with planes, same as with Baneasa airport in Bucharest(ironically, my flight was between those two airports too), got delayed 1 hour and a half goddamnit.
02.03.2011 - 21:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 02.03.2011 at 15:47

I have to say my opinion with planes has changed in the meantime, indeed they're still uncomfortable and noisy as hell, but when the cost is similar or lower than trains or whatever other means of transport, then i'll use the plane, except when the travel time is longer.

i took some journeys while i was in Spain, and it seems Madrid's airport is a very VERY bad place to go through. every time flights are delayed because it's over-crowded with planes, same as with Baneasa airport in Bucharest(ironically, my flight was between those two airports too), got delayed 1 hour and a half goddamnit.

Plains delight everywhere in main aiports Arlanda, Riga offen only Luleå/Kallax and Umeå City aiport where plains go to Stockholm, Göteborg and Umeå-Vaasa/Riga + Stockholm are in time, international flights in main aiports delight offen ,
Big minus are seats are to close to other ppl I like like big boing where are huge seat, I dont like when ppl are to close to me,

I drove by buss Umeå-Luleå 5 or more H , car is hmmm 3-4h depends if you can pass by huge trucks since they can drive 90km/h but normla cars 110km/h on E4 I would like do same travel time whit plain its be less how one h
----

apos;'
[image]
03.03.2011 - 16:38
Elodie Artour
Slania
Satan, I love travelling by plane!

So far, I've only flown with the following airlines: Bulgaria Air, Austrian Airlines, Hungarian Airlines and Finnair, as well. I personally dislike the attitude and custom service of Bulgaria Air's staff. Thankfully, I haven't had enough flights with them in order to indeed get annoyed. lol

Otherwise, I especially enjoyed flying with Finn Air - they had tasteful food on the plane and Amorphis as a bonus. What else could you wish for? As for Austrian flight attendants, I found them pretty nice. I cannot really remember Hungarians' behaviour but I don't like them in general, so who cares?

P.S.: Everytime someone freaks out about taking offs and landings, their pannic sounds hilarious to me.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
03.03.2011 - 19:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elodie Artour on 03.03.2011 at 16:38

Satan, I love travelling by plane!

So far, I've only flown with the following airlines: Bulgaria Air, Austrian Airlines, Hungarian Airlines and Finnair, as well. I personally dislike the attitude and custom service of Bulgaria Air's staff. Thankfully, I haven't had enough flights with them in order to indeed get annoyed. lol

Otherwise, I especially enjoyed flying with Finn Air - they had tasteful food on the plane and Amorphis as a bonus. What else could you wish for? As for Austrian flight attendants, I found them pretty nice. I cannot really remember Hungarians' behaviour but I don't like them in general, so who cares?

P.S.: Everytime someone freaks out about taking offs and landings, their pannic sounds hilarious to me.

Bulg costum has mentalita sovieticus same like fucking latvian costuns and probobly every other wast Europe, I trooly hate Riga aiport I never ever have been problems in Scandinavia because of my look, go beck in ex red zone and there idiots who work in costum service , I trooly hate it
----

apos;'
[image]
03.03.2011 - 23:25
Ragana
Rawrcat
You just look suspicious, get over it. RIX is fine and AirBaltic is also okay, I personally have never had problems with their planes or anything.
04.03.2011 - 12:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 03.03.2011 at 23:25

You just look suspicious, get over it. RIX is fine and AirBaltic is also okay, I personally have never had problems with their planes or anything.

Plains are ok, aiport are ok but costum servive sucks spevely male who's lile lil rooster, they are weirder ,
they have wrights chacke lugade, but chek because you are metalhead and looks weird , they have no wrights its inuslt
Same has Riga farry (before we were ate Shengen)
Milano, Umeå, LuleÅ/Kallax, Arlanda I never ever been chaked
Ok Verona railway station Carabinieri and sniffer dog aprouch me , but it wasnt me but some arabian speeking guy who follow me,. he was ask for qaustening and dog sniffed his thinks ,

Generaly Rix has good servive, airbaltic to, but cosmtumes sucks, I always choose women or some better looking guyt to do it,
----

apos;'
[image]
04.03.2011 - 18:10
Ragana
Rawrcat
I doubt they insulted you in any way. I have been double-checked myself and I do not look like a metalhead, so figure it out.
04.03.2011 - 18:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
They only checked me at one point twice because i had a pair of boots in my feet at the time, and they beeped. after that everytime i preventively put my boots in the trays and grab the plastic slippers.

last time i went through security was in Madrid, and i took my time, took me about half an hour from the checkin counter to the gate area. everything is sooooo slow and crowded in that airport(or maybe it's just something specific to T1), it's clear it wasn't meant to have this many flights (same with Baneasa airport in Bucharest, it's really close to the city center but if you're claustrophobic you're gonna hate it)
04.03.2011 - 19:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I mean in Lv 2 times I been call in for some marihuana chek , because of my look, damn I realy want hells angels death head on my west like patch, maybe then ppl will leave me alone, I hate those chakes because im metalhead whit denim and leatther , long hair, in Swe I never have been doble cheked only doc martens whoi has steel toe so I take them of, but I never been call in search room how in Latvia when arive because gay boys are gay boys
----

apos;'
[image]
04.03.2011 - 23:55
Ragana
Rawrcat
You don't know that, plus, I already told you I have been double checked too and I wasn't the only one. In fact, I think it happened only because I arrived from a Muslim country. But honestly, metalheads may look more suspicious than normally dressed people, it's just the way it is.

Written by Valentin B on 04.03.2011 at 18:37

They only checked me at one point twice because i had a pair of boots in my feet at the time, and they beeped. after that everytime i preventively put my boots in the trays and grab the plastic slippers.

Well, actually I was talking about being pulled aside individually to check stuff... but that thing you mentioned, yup, that's what usually happens to me. I think I carry around too much metal but there's no way I can avoid it. I have had to take out my earrings a few times, not to mention belt or boots... I'm glad piercings don't beep.
05.03.2011 - 00:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ragana on 04.03.2011 at 23:55

Written by Valentin B on 04.03.2011 at 18:37

Well, actually I was talking about being pulled aside individually to check stuff... but that thing you mentioned, yup, that's what usually happens to me. I think I carry around too much metal but there's no way I can avoid it. I have had to take out my earrings a few times, not to mention belt or boots... I'm glad piercings don't beep.

well i think it's clear, it's because we are so goddamned metal!
06.03.2011 - 18:30
Elodie Artour
Slania
I've only got double-checked at Budapest's Airport. (Damn Hungarians! They hate everyone that comes from Bulgaria.) At Vienna Airport, my anti-hund spray got confiscated. Of course, I had never had any forbidden things in my luggage before but somehow, I had managed to pass the ray in BG with that same anti-hund spray in one of my pockets. In such cases I just say that's only possible in Bulgaria.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
06.03.2011 - 19:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elodie Artour on 06.03.2011 at 18:30

I've only got double-checked at Budapest's Airport. (Damn Hungarians! They hate everyone that comes from Bulgaria.) At Vienna Airport, my anti-hund spray got confiscated. Of course, I had never had any forbidden things in my luggage before but somehow, I had managed to pass the ray in BG with that same anti-hund spray in one of my pockets. In such cases I just say that's only possible in Bulgaria.

Doble chek is ok, but if they ask polite as much how they can, not that idiotic attitude what has in Lv
----

apos;'
[image]
13.09.2014 - 19:44
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
I hate the TSA so fucking much! Tolerated Sexual Assault is what TSA should stand for. In the USA, they're not keeping anyone any safer, all they're doing is making the world hate them even more. Other neighbouring countries, though not as paranoid, have their own TSA styled security and it's the part which pisses me off most about travel. Weeks ago, when I was in Toronto, Canada (Pearson International Airport) flying back to Nassau, Bahamas....the TSA confiscated a large bottle of hot sauce which I bought. Their reason was that it was over 3 ounces and was not in the carry on bag. If that bottle was so fucking dangerous, why not treat it like an explosive and throw it out the window or something?

Also, why are electronic cigarettes not permitted on air planes? I never understood the logic behind that.....
15.09.2014 - 09:21
toxx
Supreme being
I travel a bit because of my work, but mainly in Scandinavia. Usually fly with SAS. Never had any trouble with them. They have good coffee btw
15.09.2014 - 11:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by toxx on 15.09.2014 at 09:21

I travel a bit because of my work, but mainly in Scandinavia. Usually fly with SAS. Never had any trouble with them. They have good coffee btw

I always fly whit SAS , only 2-3 times maybe whit Norwegian, I also had use Air Baltic and Air Italia
----

apos;'
[image]
16.09.2014 - 09:06
Leni
Well, i always travel by air. i have no preferences, i just use the more convenient flight. I used Lufthansa, Aeroflot, Air Baltic, Alitalia, Air France, Belavia, Wizz Air, Adria, Serbian Airlines, everything was ok.
16.09.2014 - 12:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Leni on 16.09.2014 at 09:06

Well, i always travel by air. i have no preferences, i just use the more convenient flight. I used Lufthansa, Aeroflot, Air Baltic, Alitalia, Air France, Belavia, Wizz Air, Adria, Serbian Airlines, everything was ok.

in Europe more less all is OK ... try Zimbawe air or some other African air , better no
but those main companies always are OK, cheap flight as Rynnair can be fucked up .... same as Rus small companies like what flys somewhere in Siberia, Kamchatka , since plains can be old ....
----

apos;'
[image]