05. Emptiness Unobstructed
06. The Blue Marble And The New Soul
07. Without Morals
08. The Day You Built The Wall
09. She Comes In Colors
10. The Obsidian Conspiracy
11. Crystal Ship [The Doors cover]
12. Temptation [The Tea Party cover]

How does a band top a masterpiece? For example, they change a lot. South of Heaven after Reign in Blood felt shockingly slow and heavy. Or they try to copy their best release, with mixed results: see Enslaved's Ruun or Testament's New Order. Another way to tackle the post-masterpiece syndrome is what Nevermore did - and let me tell you in advance that they did it beautifully - you take what you did best and eliminate the elements that weren't perfect. Assuming that it's done by a band as talented as Nevermore, the final product must be at least outstanding. Or even brilliant, and I'm happy to announce to you dear readers, that brilliant is what The Obsidian Conspiracy is.

If I were to try to categorise Nevermore's music, I'd be stumped. It's thrash, all right, but it's seriously progressive as well, with tons of impressive technicality to boot, and even, excuse the blasphemy, traces or infectiously catchy power metal in some choruses. Whatever the genre, Nevermore are a very mature ensemble of skilled musicians, who know how to discipline themselves in order to make songs that are at the same time epic and concise. Not a single song lasts over 6 minutes, yet their grandeur is sometimes breathtaking. Check "Moonrise (Through Mirrors Of Death)" to see what I mean. The riffs in verses build up a wall of energy, reinforced by thundering bass drums, only to be flattened and obliterated by the wonderful chorus that rests on very melodic guitars and fat, groovy drumming. If this isn't brilliant, I don't know what fucking is. Moving on to "And the Maiden Spoke" - the drumming is complex and so unconventional, that you can forget about tapping your foot to the rhythm. You'll be too busy admiring Warrel Dane's singing anyway. From high-pitched to low, almost grunted, that's Nevermore's most prized possession at his best. Dane proves again that he is among the best metal singers out there.

I won't go through every song in detail, because this review would be longer than a roll of toilet paper that you use up when you have the shits. So I'll limit myself to naming just a handful more. "The Blue Marble and the New Soul" is a very stylish ballad embellished by a very emotional solo - a perfect breather in the middle of this feast of riffing and technicality. "The Day You Built the Wall" has layered vocals and heavy, ominous atmosphere - it's almost theatrical. But the best is saved for the last. I daresay that "She Comes in Colors" and "The Obsidian Conspiracy" are Nevermore's best tracks ever. The former is slow, atmospheric and sinister, the latter is a hurricane of riffing, solos and masterful drumming. And when you start thinking that it can't possibly get better, wonderful chorus proves you wrong.

I've no idea why Nevermore needed 5 years to release this brilliant album, but I sure as hell hope they won't have me waiting another 5 for their next. This is easily a top 5 album for this year, and something tells me that it'll remain very high till the end of December. I mentioned the number five three times in this paragraph. Three times 5 is 15. Minus 5 for a long wait, and you get a 10, no more no less. Very few deserve it this year.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written on 15.08.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
strade
Rating:
What do a five year wait, a couple solo albums, trying to live up to a masterpiece, conflicting artistic direction, and totally mangling a sound that needed little improvement all have in common? They're all reasons why Nevermore's last release before deteriorating as a band, The Obsidian Conspiracy, underwhelms. Severely. In 2010, five years after the raw and hate-fueled masterpiece This Godless Endeavor was unleashed upon our unprepared society, Nevermore released this nonsensical escapade, and I could hardly believe I was listening to the same band; and no, as you might have already guessed, I don't mean that in a positive way.

Read more ››
published 16.03.2012 | Comments (23)

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 70   Visited by: 506 users
24.09.2010 - 18:48
Rating: 9
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I just bought TGE yesterday and find it absolutely awesome, so if this is anyway near that, I'll have to give it a try as well
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
10.10.2010 - 06:24
JCJen7
You know, I only started listening to metal about a year and a half ago, so I haven't had a chance to get in to really any "obscure" bands. (I realize Nevermore is pretty established by now, but I am talking Black Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Metallica, you know, the HUGE names.) So, I have been really catching up on the obvious stuff, but I try to go out and get the albums that these obviously very educated (in metal that is) reviewers suggest, and I would simply like to thank you guys for that. This is one of the most unbiased places around for metal, (except everyone here hates Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium here, who I love, but whatever). So anyways, thank you, this review has helped me find another thrash/prog band that I can get in to.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
11.10.2010 - 22:33
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by JCJen7 on 10.10.2010 at 06:24

You know, I only started listening to metal about a year and a half ago, so I haven't had a chance to get in to really any "obscure" bands. (I realize Nevermore is pretty established by now, but I am talking Black Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Metallica, you know, the HUGE names.) So, I have been really catching up on the obvious stuff, but I try to go out and get the albums that these obviously very educated (in metal that is) reviewers suggest, and I would simply like to thank you guys for that. This is one of the most unbiased places around for metal, (except everyone here hates Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium here, who I love, but whatever). So anyways, thank you, this review has helped me find another thrash/prog band that I can get in to.

nevermore are great or maybe magnificent! they are a bit more aggressive than the bands you've mentioned and this is a good step imo! but you should first listen to Dead Heart In A Dead World or This Godless Endeavor -those 2 albums are probably their best, or at least they have their best moments. as you are new to metal i'd suggest you to give many chances to anything new you listen to and generally never hurry up in order to listen to tones of this new -for you- music. take your time and you'll probably stuck badly here!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
12.10.2010 - 02:34
JCJen7
Written by Deadmeat on 11.10.2010 at 22:33

nevermore are great or maybe magnificent! they are a bit more aggressive than the bands you've mentioned and this is a good step imo! but you should first listen to Dead Heart In A Dead World or This Godless Endeavor -those 2 albums are probably their best, or at least they have their best moments. as you are new to metal i'd suggest you to give many chances to anything new you listen to and generally never hurry up in order to listen to tones of this new -for you- music. take your time and you'll probably stuck badly here!

Thanks, yeah I already grabbed This Godless Endeavor, I'll check out Dead Heart... next chance I get, I really like their style. And one more question if you don't mind, what is doom metal? I have heard it a lot on these reviews, and I have never really understood it? Same with Sludge Metal.
----

CHECK THESE OUT
12.10.2010 - 02:49
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by JCJen7 on 12.10.2010 at 02:34

Written by Deadmeat on 11.10.2010 at 22:33

Thanks, yeah I already grabbed This Godless Endeavor, I'll check out Dead Heart... next chance I get, I really like their style. And one more question if you don't mind, what is doom metal? I have heard it a lot on these reviews, and I have never really understood it? Same with Sludge Metal.

Doom is heavy, slow, often dealing with depressive or religious subjects. If there was an archetypal band (except for Black Sabbath of course), i would probably be Candlemass).
Sludge has really heavy and downtuned guitars, and the vocals are often screamed in a fashion not unsimilar to hardcore.
To check bands by style, just go here and toy around with the filters.

Oh, and welcome to the Metal world, it can virtually lead you everywhere. Stay open minded, allow yourself to be surprised, and whatever you discover and don't like, remember that your tastes might change in a few years!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
12.10.2010 - 04:00
JCJen7
Quote:
Quote:

Doom is heavy, slow, often dealing with depressive or religious subjects. If there was an archetypal band (except for Black Sabbath of course), i would probably be Candlemass).
Sludge has really heavy and downtuned guitars, and the vocals are often screamed in a fashion not unsimilar to hardcore.

Oh, and welcome to the Metal world, it can virtually lead you everywhere. Stay open minded, allow yourself to be surprised, and whatever you discover and don't like, remember that your tastes might change in a few years!

Well thank you very much! I will check out some Doom metal bands, sludge metal doesn't sound too great, Ill give it a shot though. And yeah, I know what you mean, up until about a month ago I thought death metal was trash. I still can really only listen to technical stuff like Death's Symbolic and ...Thought Patterns but I will keep giving it a shot. Thank you.
----

CHECK THESE OUT
12.10.2010 - 04:05
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by JCJen7 on 12.10.2010 at 04:00

Thank you.

You're welcome. Have fun!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
12.10.2010 - 17:30
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Quote:
Quote:
Written by JCJen7 on 12.10.2010 at 04:00

Well thank you very much! I will check out some Doom metal bands, sludge metal doesn't sound too great, Ill give it a shot though. And yeah, I know what you mean, up until about a month ago I thought death metal was trash. I still can really only listen to technical stuff like Death's Symbolic and ...Thought Patterns but I will keep giving it a shot. Thank you.

Darkside Momo gave you a great answer on what you've asked! by the way Death are not that technical (you'll realize it when you'll listen to Nile or Morbid Angel for example) but they are just MAGNIFICENT! the fact that intrigues you and me and most people at our first steps in death metal for example is the melodic moments of the songs. without them, they all sound the same. so give them many many shots and you'll like them much more by the time. it's like the cigar: most people dont like it from the begining but after getting used to it you cant live without it! it is nice that you are not afraid of asking about what you dont know- only a few people do it..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
12.10.2010 - 20:12
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
The discussions on this page for this album seems to get more interesting
than the album itself..... anyway this has prompted me to get it and
listen to it first..............
14.10.2010 - 20:54
INÆRIS
Pretty good music, Jeff Loomis is a hero at his craft, but this album art is just terrible. I'd be embarrassed if it was the art for my own album.
----
Still Life, Still Death
22.10.2010 - 08:46
Rating: 7
amarchand
The Obsidian Conspiracy is a good album, but many would likely agree with me that without Wichers producing it, it would probably have turned out much better. Loomis mentioned in a few interviews that Wichers took his 7-8 minute long songs and "chopped them up," which is very easy to hear on tracks like Emptiness Unobstructed. Honestly, I never would have expected a song opening like that for Nevermore before this album, as it goes against their pre-TOC principles of songwriting. It's clear that Nevermore were aiming for commercial success with this album, and while it is still enjoyable I don't find it as satisfying as their earlier work. Also, even though Loomis used better gear on this album as opposed to TGE (Engl rather than Krank) I find the guitars and the mix in general to sound far too compressed for such a musical band. Good review, though, honest to your opinions and not abrasive. I'm glad other people are more passionate about this album than I am
02.11.2010 - 15:17
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Daniell on 15.08.2010 at 18:55

I'll be probably the only person in the world who thinks that this one is better than This Godless Endeavor

Having listened to the album many times now I think I'm with you on this one, nice review! TGE has it's moments, many moments in fact, but TOC is both more enjoyable overall and continues to be such after numerous listens in my opinion. Still doesn't quite top DHIADW for me though.
09.01.2011 - 21:02
Mechanist
Account deleted
I just noticed that Nevermore is the only band here in MS with three perfect 10 reviews by three different people (the others being DHIADW and TGE). Just goes to show that Nevermore ain't nothing but top drawer stuff...
As for this album, I can safely say that it's their third best album, only behind "The Godless Endeavour" and the awesome "Dead Heart In A Dead World".
10.01.2011 - 15:57
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 09.01.2011 at 21:02

I just noticed that Nevermore is the only band here in MS with three perfect 10 reviews by three different people (the others being DHIADW and TGE). Just goes to show that Nevermore ain't nothing but top drawer stuff...

Public reception =/= quality.

Engrave that into your mind.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
10.01.2011 - 16:04
Mechanist
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 10.01.2011 at 15:57

I have nothing to engrave on my mind other than my own perceptions, whether they fall into general public reception or not, is none of my concern.
10.01.2011 - 16:09
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 10.01.2011 at 16:04

I have nothing to engrave on my mind other than my own perceptions, whether they fall into general public reception or not, is none of my concern.

That's fine, but you're asserting that public reception shows that Nevermore is of exceptionally high quality.
----
10.01.2011 - 16:15
Mechanist
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 10.01.2011 at 16:09

Written by Guest on 10.01.2011 at 16:04

That's fine, but you're asserting that public reception shows that Nevermore is of exceptionally high quality.

Well, maybe I could have put it a little bit better, but I certainly did not mean assert anything. Everything in music is pretty subjective.
10.01.2011 - 16:26
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Vezzy, how would measure the quality of music?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
10.01.2011 - 17:53
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by K✞ulu on 10.01.2011 at 16:26

Well-executed, a guitar tone that doesn't sound average and sterile, production that doesn't sound like a distorted bass-like boom... etc., etc.
----
10.01.2011 - 18:09
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by vezzy on 10.01.2011 at 17:53

Well-executed, a guitar tone that doesn't sound average and sterile, production that doesn't sound like a distorted bass-like boom... etc., etc.

well, then I guess public opinion is a good proxy...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
10.01.2011 - 18:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Simple.... you can't.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2011 - 19:06
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by K✞ulu on 10.01.2011 at 18:09

Written by vezzy on 10.01.2011 at 17:53

well, then I guess public opinion is a good proxy...

Unfortunately this album fails to meet the second criteria.

This album bores me, plain and simple.
----
10.01.2011 - 19:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2011 at 18:23
Simple.... you can't.

100% correct.
11.01.2011 - 01:23
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 10.01.2011 at 19:14

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2011 at 18:23
Simple.... you can't.

100% correct.

Really? I have always thought, "Hey, if it's worth appreciating, then their has to be a certain measurable level of quality to it".

Like, ambition, strong and creative sense of songwriting and instrument playing, something that doesn't sound half-assed. You know something that has "quality". For instance, I don't really like Nevermore too much, but it's obvious that they usually make high-quality stuff. Then I can at least appreciate it whether it suits me or not (and understand why others may like it).
11.01.2011 - 01:32
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.01.2011 at 01:23
Really? I have always thought, "Hey, if it's worth appreciating, then their has to be a certain measurable level of quality to it".

Like, ambition, strong and creative sense of songwriting and instrument playing, something that doesn't sound half-assed. You know something that has "quality". For instance, I don't really like Nevermore too much, but it's obvious that they usually make high-quality stuff. Then I can at least appreciate it whether it suits me or not (and understand why other may like it).

Of course, but how that quality is measured differs from person to person, which is the whole point. There's no universal measure of quality that everyone agrees on, because a lot of it is subjective, and purely down to opinion. I can also see and appreciate talent, even if the actual music isnt to my own personal taste. A lot of people cant do this though. If they dont like it, then its crap, and that's it.
11.01.2011 - 01:39
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Ah, ok. I understand the point a bit better now.

Written by Angelic Storm on 11.01.2011 at 01:32

I can also see and appreciate talent, even if the actual music isnt to my own personal taste. A lot of people cant do this though. If they dont like it, then its crap, and that's it.

I do know this, and I think it's very unfortunate. I feel that that is a very lame attitude to have about music (or just art in general). It's pretty much the reason how a nice and enlightening conversation about music and such can get bogged down with stupid "your favorite band/album sucks" bullshit. -_-
11.01.2011 - 01:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.01.2011 at 01:39

Ah, ok. I understand the point a bit better now.

I do know this, and I think it's very unfortunate. I feel that that is a very lame attitude to have about music (or just art in general). It's pretty much the reason how a nice and enlightening conversation about music and such can get bogged down with stupid "your favorite band/album sucks" bullshit. -_-

I did get the impression that you misinterpreted what I said. hehe

Yep, I feel the exactly same way as you. Most music (note how I said "most", there are definitely numerous exceptions to that rule ) takes a semblance of talent to create. There are a few instances of bands/artists whose music isnt to my tastes, but I can still appreciate that the music took talent to make. Yeah it is annoying, and it happens very often. Too many feel like if they cant appreciate a band/album, then anyone else who appreciates is "wrong" or has "a crap taste in music". Its hard to stay out of scenarios like that, when so many seem to have that attitude. Ah well.. *shrugs*
11.01.2011 - 01:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.01.2011 at 01:49

There are a few instances of bands/artists whose music isnt to my tastes, but I can still appreciate that the music took talent to make. Yeah it is annoying, and it happens very often.

No, you can't. Case in point Mortician
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.01.2011 - 02:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.01.2011 at 01:53
No, you can't. Case in point Mortician

I was expecting Vezzy to come out with that one!

Mortician play the same 2 or 3 chords in EVERY song. All their songs sound the same. So to me, they are not talented at all. However, if people like them, then that's fair enough, and I certainly wouldnt talk down to them, or say that their tastes "suck" just because I happen to dislike Mortician. The Sex Pistols werent very musically talented either, but I happen to love them. There's a difference between stating a dislike for a band/album, and attacking and belittling someone for liking said band/album. The two things aren't the same at all. You can slam a band without slamming an individual for liking said band.

Besides, I stated that I can appreciate talent in MOST cases where I dont like the actual music. If you looked at my previous post, you'd see that I said there are exceptions to that, as not every song/album takes talent to make. So I wasnt wrong in what I said at all.
11.01.2011 - 02:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.01.2011 at 02:10

If you looked at my previous post, you'd see that I said there are exceptions to that, as not every song/album takes talent to make. So I wasnt wrong in what I said at all.

Why do you think I left that part out when quoting you?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 11350 | This month: 22