Metal Storm logo
Bands you like, but are ashamed of it

Original post

Posted by tuerda, 25.08.2006 - 05:26
So yeah, I'm sure this happens to a lot of people. There is some band that you shouldn't like. There is something wrong with it. You might even think that it's bad . . . But you love it! You nod along to the music and can't help but sing along if you know the lyrics. You love it, and you hate the fact that you love it. So yeah, does this happen to anyone else, and if so, with what bands?

For me, the most obvious one is Rhapsody. They are really really cheesy, and all of their songs sound more or less the same to me. I feel it is all charged with vacuous optimism, and the lyrics are terrible. But yes, I like them. Please don't tell anyone.

Also, I like Bal Sagoth. They are pretty much the cheesiest band on earth, and it is precisely the cheesiness that makes me love them so. The "dark" vocals are anything but creepy and all of the "symphonics" sound fake. It's so bad that it's good!

There are some Emperor songs that I like. I have moral issues with liking Emperor. The black metal act is sometimes interesting, and often funny as hell. I approve of it . . . but only so long as it is an act. Church burning is not cool. Neither is killing people.
08.12.2006 - 23:24
eximius
"Tell me what music u listen to tell u what person u are" . If u are ashame of some band u like means u are ashame of urself so work at that... i know a lot of friends who tells other people they listen a kind of music... but that's only for their own image, i so hate those ppl, most people say they listen rock but at home they have house shit and other shit... those are hypocrites
i also know tough people, tought for real and they are ashame to tell other people about their lighter metal preferences , for me those are weak people
13.12.2006 - 15:10
Sunioj
I agree with you, I hate it when metalheads refuse to admit to liking a talented band just to preserve their badass image, music is art, its not just a lifestyle.
13.12.2006 - 23:25
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
At the moment I kinda like Lily Allen : I dislike the image of the girl, I know it's pop music but I'm a bit tired of "musical eletism" and sometimes easy-listening stuff isn't that bad... Yeah I enjoy her music... But right afterwards I usually play Slayer to remind me of my true metalness
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
16.12.2006 - 07:31
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I like a few cradle of Filth albums ( the principle of evil made flesh , 'dusk and her embrace' and 'midian')
But since I dislike the band and criticize it, I feel ashamed to admit this fact.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
16.12.2006 - 12:45
Kurzag
Account deleted
Can´t say that I´m ashamed of it. But I like bands like Kraftwerk ( I´m a huge fan of them), Kent and Muse.
16.12.2006 - 13:54
Basso
Account deleted
Written by [user id=989] on 16.12.2006 at 12:45

Can´t say that I´m ashamed of it. But I like bands like Kraftwerk ( I´m a huge fan of them), Kent and Muse.

Muse is indeed great, they are so melancolic but at the same time full of power, and catchyness. Great band indeed
19.12.2006 - 14:40
priestess_666
HIM
----
priestess of the dark side
20.12.2006 - 01:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=804] on 19.12.2006 at 04:31

megadeth

why in God's name would you be ashamd of liking Megadeth?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.12.2006 - 06:07
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Keane hey im sorry i just like it
----
Stay Metal !!!
20.12.2006 - 12:15
MeGaDeTh_fReAk
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.12.2006 at 01:33

Written by [user id=804] on 19.12.2006 at 04:31

megadeth

why in God's name would you be ashamd of liking Megadeth?

everyone has their own opinion.................for me Evanescense just a few of thier songs
20.12.2006 - 15:27
danzig111
Account deleted
I like one song what Cinderella did, "Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)"

21.12.2006 - 10:19
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
I don't really get why someone should be ashamed of what he enjoys. Generally fans of underground music, metal among others, claim that listening to mainstream music is just following the trends and conforming to society. Isn't betraying your own tastes to be accepted by your scene just another form of conforming in itself?
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
23.12.2006 - 00:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=160] on 20.12.2006 at 15:27

I like one song what Cinderella did, "Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)"

I love Cinderella.......I didnt know I was supposed to ashamed of listening to Cinderella
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.12.2006 - 00:55
danzig111
Account deleted
@Dr. Rock: oh well.....it's just that they were a major Hair Band, and I have issues with those lovey-dovey type hair bands you see.
02.01.2007 - 07:48
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Written by Paganblood on 16.12.2006 at 07:31

I like a few cradle of Filth albums ( the principle of evil made flesh , 'dusk and her embrace' and 'midian')
But since I dislike the band and criticize it, I feel ashamed to admit this fact.

OMG! The Principle of Evil is ... the BEST album by Cradle of Filth! (imo ^^') it's brilliant! you should NOT be ashamed of it! Raise your flags mister, raise them to the sky! Grasp the clouds, bring them down! ahh >.<

^^'
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
02.01.2007 - 07:58
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Linak on 02.01.2007 at 07:48

Written by Paganblood on 16.12.2006 at 07:31

OMG! The Principle of Evil is ... the BEST album by Cradle of Filth! (imo ^^') it's brilliant! you should NOT be ashamed of it! Raise your flags mister, raise them to the sky! Grasp the clouds, bring them down! ahh >.<

^^'

I will never say I like CoF but I will say that I like their "The prin..." (shamelessly ), and will recommend this album to those who want to listen to CoF.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
02.01.2007 - 08:00
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Said like a man!
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
02.01.2007 - 10:03
Zombie, M.D.
Im not really embarrassed to like these bands, but I will list them because of how out of place they are among my other music tastes.

Interpol
Joy Division
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Cake
Scientist
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
02.01.2007 - 12:19
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Are Joy Division really that out of place?

They influenced a few notable metal bands, so I wouldn't imagine they would be.
03.01.2007 - 06:36
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Theres a German Techno/dance band called E Nomine. I dont like techno or dance at all which is why im ashamed to admit i like this band but these guys do some good songs.

I also kinda like the Screaming Jets too, don't ask me why.

lastly i like Edenbridge, and because of this i get paid out by my mates quite a bit.
03.01.2007 - 15:09
oliviaa
I like a lot of music that others would find embarrising. Pretty much emoish music, My Chemical Romance, The Used, Funeral For A Friend, Finch and stuff like that. Pop punk like Yellowcard, blink-182, Mest, etc. And indie/pop/rock like Bright Eyes, Interpol, Morrissey, My Bloody Valentine, Red Hot Chili Peppers. Some electronic musik, I love The Knife, and Kill Hannah.
Sometimes I like mainstream radio pop songs too (that's the worst part. The only thing that I'm really ashamed of)
I can listen to pretty much everything, though I'm a metalhead at heart. : )
----
04.01.2007 - 05:29
DistortedVisual
Account deleted
i'm not really ashamed, but my friends hate that i like the doors...
04.01.2007 - 05:59
Zombie, M.D.
Written by [user id=12867] on 02.01.2007 at 12:19

Are Joy Division really that out of place?

They influenced a few notable metal bands, so I wouldn't imagine they would be.

Out of place compared to my typical tastes, I meant.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
04.01.2007 - 17:47
destroyah
supercharger
Elite
Written by [user id=18997] on 04.01.2007 at 05:29

i'm not really ashamed, but my friends hate that i like the doors...

Hm, nice friends you got there. Anyways, peculiar that they frown upon your affection towards the Doors, I guess it'd make more sense if they disliked you enjoying Madonna for example, or something like that. But... the Doors is a great rock band, a classic.

Luckily, I don't think i know a person who'd actually hassle me about my musical preferences. Then again i'm a known eclectic anyways so it don't surprise anyone that i have for instance Slayer, Muse and Lipps Inc in one playlist.

Don't even know which musical style dominates in my life anymore, but whenever i want to go out and have a couple of beers I definately prefer a metal place, so i'm guessing i'm still more on the heavy side. But I have to admit now that the long hair/combat boots have been replaced by jeans/shirts and jackets i occasionally feel as a bit of a misfit

Sooo yea, I guess what i'm trying to say that being eclectic = good
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
06.01.2007 - 11:16
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 02.01.2007 at 10:03

Im not really embarrassed to like these bands, but I will list them because of how out of place they are among my other music tastes.

Interpol
Joy Division
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Cake
Scientist

Eh. I really don't want to mention it, but for some reason I actually enjoy listening to The Mars Volta and Tv On The Radio. Egh.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
07.01.2007 - 20:21
dancingdecember
im not ashamed of any music i listen to but apart from metal i listen music from the 60 rock'n'roll to röyksopp(tr00 norwegian:D)suicide commando,placebo,muse,the cure,depeche mode,suede,radiohead,coldplay all from the bands i listen to.

but i get pissed when i like a rammstein or cradle song and i hate bodom beacuse of alexi and kids(and ladies:P) running around"wooww its very cool" but i never really stopped listening to them...

oh and i really like slipknot and im proud of it
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
08.01.2007 - 17:45
Dark Stalker
I like some songs of Abba .....:-X
----
In luck we trust!
26.01.2007 - 23:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Evanescence, I know its Nu metal-esque but that Amy Lee has one powerful voice.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.01.2007 - 00:06
Torelli
I like some music that most of you would consider crap and embarassing to listen to, but I'm not ashamed of it. After all, it's my music taste, right? However, there's one thing that I have hard time to admit that I like. Remember a cartoon called "Sonic Underground"? In every episode the use to play a song. Those songs were very simple, the singer(s) was really lousy and above all, the clear moral lectures in these songs were enough for most people to vomit in discust. Absolutly terrible in other words. And get I'm drawn to them like a fly to a lamp. I have chought myself singing these songs more than once and a smile has begun to show on my lips evertime I listen to it. I don't know if I should be embarassed or scared about it....
27.01.2007 - 03:53
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Iron Maiden!!! oops!!! i mean Kings Of Leon, but only one song haha